Chapter Nine

The Ulzzang Next Door

It was a cold night. You were in your room, sitting on your bed as you flip through the pages of your book regarding your studies, reviewing some of the lessons before your class starts in January. It was 11pm, just before the beginning of the new year in an hour. Feeling bored, you sighed.

Your phone then vibrated several times, signalling incoming messages. Reaching for your phone, your lips curled into a smile as you realized that you received a lot of New Year greeting messages from your friends in Seoul. You scrolled through the list, reading one by one and replying them. “From Bella… Hyunnie… Some other friends…” you thought, before you came across a name that you haven’t thought of. It was from Jaehyo. You slowly tapped on your phone to read it.

Happy New Year Nadi-ya~ Have a great year ahead and have a nice holiday! Sorry for not wishing you during Christmas, I’ve been really busy with preparations. I’m still busy now though… Send my regards to your family!!

You grinned, feeling happy for some reason. You quickly typed back a reply;

Nae, Happy New Year to you too! Send my regards to your family as well. Have a blessed year ahead!

With the text being sent, you closed your book and put it aside. Just as you were about to lay down, you heard a loud sound of the door being slammed from downstairs. You gasped in shock, realizing that your dad had come home. You then heard your name being called loudly across the house. Quickly, you rolled off the bed and went to open the drawer and took some money out, before rushing downstairs.

Your dad was sitting at the couch in the living room, flaring out his anger for everything. You saw your mom was cleaning up a spilt drink on the floor, probably because of your dad. Seeing your mom holding back her tears broke your heart into pieces. Your brothers were nowhere to be found.

Your hands were trembling, as you slowly put the sum of money right in front of your dad on the table. Your dad gave you a glare, before taking the money and counting it. You gulped, as you awkwardly backed away from him.

“Is this all you’ve got? Only this much?!” he asked furiously, looking at you.
Avoiding his eyes, you timidly nodded. Honestly you haven’t got your pay for the month yet, and the money you gave to him was from your savings before.
“Next time, make sure it’ll be more! Don’t be as useless as your mom, you hear?!” he shouted, and you curled your lips, not agreeing to him.

Your dad then stood up with the money in his hand, before storming off upstairs. Hearing his fading footsteps, you slowly stepped closer to your mom and kneeled, offering to help her. She then also glared at you, and you gulped again.

“Why did you even give him money?!” she raised her voice.
“I didn’t want dad to shout at you…” you spoke softly.

Ignoring you, she then stood up and went to the kitchen, tears started to fall on her cheeks. You took a deep breath in, calming yourself down. This had always happened, and everytime, it breaks your heart and you couldn’t help but feel a little bit of hatred bit by bit for your dad.

You stood up and slowly walked to the kitchen, stopping right in front of the kitchen entrance as you saw your mom on the phone. Hearing by the way of things, looks like your mom was calling your little brother who was in his high school years. He was probably hanging out with his friends for the new year.

“You know, your noona gave your dad money again! She shouldn’t do that, he’ll just gamble more! Sometimes I wish she doesn’t come home at all. When are you coming home, dear?” as you heard what she said, your heart dropped. A tear made its way on your cheek. You stepped back and quickly ran upstairs to your room.

Laying down on your bed that night, your mind wandered and you thought about a lot of things. All you wanted to do was help your mom so that she wouldn’t get shouted by your unemployed dad, but all she could see was your flaws and she always think about your little brother more than anyone else. This is the stress that caused you to move away. And most of the time, you don’t even want to come back. You felt unappreciated, hurt, and mostly, lonely. You slept that night after crying your heart out, and woke up with red eyes the next morning. What a start of the new year.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

It was Saturday night of January, and it was time for you to go back to Seoul. You were in a taxi from the station, heading back to your apartment. Earlier before you left home in the afternoon, you left your mom some money in her room, hoping that she would know how sincere you were before leaving without a word. You craved for her love and affection, but since your little brother was born, everything changed. Your dad also got worst by the years when he quit working just as you started high school, and all this while you live on your mom’s money and sometimes your brothers would help… when they care. Sometimes.

Being too lost in your thoughts, you didn’t realize that you had arrived. The taxi driver had to call out for you, and you hastily paid him. After taking out your belongings, you slowly went up the elevator to your floor.

Arriving at your apartment, you realized that Bella wasn’t there. She must have been happy at her home. You smiled slightly, feeling happy for her joy. Just as you stepped in your room to put your stuff, your phone rang. Reading the caller’s name, your eyes widened in surprise. “Jaehyo…?”, you wondered.

“Yoboseyo?” you greeted.
“Ah, um, Nadi?” Jaehyo’s voice was soft and gentle, it makes you feel warm inside.
“Yes it’s me.” You giggled.
“Are you at home now?”
“Yup. Why? Want me to come over?”
There was a short pause in the line. “Yes, please… I have something to talk about with you”.
Hearing that, your heartbeat began to increase its pace. “O-Okay, I’ll come over now”.
With that, you ended the call.

Your heart was beating quickly, as your hands turned cold. You slapped your cheeks, questioning yourself as of why you were nervous. You took a deep breath in, and reminded yourself that it was probably nothing. Quickly, you walked out of the room and went to the door, making your way to the ulzzang next door.

You didn’t have to knock, when the door of his apartment was swung open. Jaehyo was smiling down at you as he saw you, but you knew, that wasn’t his best smile. He invited you in, and the next thing you knew, you were sitting across him on the kitchen counter. You knew that this talk would be a serious one. After putting a cup of hot chocolate in front of you, Jaehyo got quiet and was looking down, as if thinking of how to start the conversation.

You gave him your best smile. Being in front of him, for some reason, makes your forget of the sorrows being at your home and the pain of loneliness. Being around him brings you joy. Your heart was hinting love, but it didn’t go into your mind… yet.

“Um, what is it that you wanted to talk about?” you asked, smiling.
“Well… you see…” Jaehyo averted your gaze, tapping his fingers nervously on the counter.
“Yes…?” your eyes perked up in curiosity.
“I…”
“Hm?”

Then Jaehyo gave you a long pause, pondering whether he should speak or not. You patiently waited, still smiling.

“Nadi-ah…” Jaehyo started, “I… I’m going out with Hana again”.

For the umpteenth time, your heart dropped, and your smile faded as your eyes widened in shock.

To be continued…

* * *  * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Hello guys, long time no see! Omg I'm so sorry that I left this fanfic hanging for a whole month ;;; Been busy with exams and school and I'm so sorry, really!! Sorry if this was bad, I just got back into writing after a while. I put in a life in there, because it deserves one :)

Thank you for the new subscribers and to the people who just got into the fandom and read this fanfic by chance, welcome!! I can't promise fast updates now but I'll always try my best aightt.

Thank you so much everyone, really, I mean it. Subscribers, readers and commentators, you guys are what keeps me going!! I love you~ See ya guys in the next chapter, bye!