Chapter Two

The Ulzzang Next Door

It was a rainy, cold morning. It felt so comfortable that morning, you don’t even feel like waking up. You snuggled into your bed covers, appreciating the warmth and coldness at the same time. Your phone began to rang and vibrate, and you slipped your hand under the pillow to take it. Without even looking at the caller’s name, you answered the call sleepily.

“Yoboseyo…” you greeted, still half-asleep.
“Yahh, wake up! Don’t you have to go register for your university today?! And go to work? Get up!” Bella scolded through the phone, and you quickly jolt up in shock.
“W-Wait, what time is it now?!” you asked her, eyes widening.
“It’s almost 10am! Even my early morning class has ended already! Your university’s registration is just until 10:45am, right? Ppali ya!!” Bella scolded more, sounding like a worried mom.
“Yes I’ll get up now! Thanks for calling!” you said before ending the call.

You got out of bed and dashed into the bathroom, taking a quick shower. After showering, you put on some comfortable clothes and went to the study table in your room to take all the documents needed, double-checked it and put it in your sling bag before hurriedly going out of the door and not forgetting to lock it.

You walked quickly on the hallway, heading straight to the elevator. Since you live on the highest floor, waiting for the elevator was really a torture. Just then, a familiar tall figure stood beside you and waited for the elevator, too. He was wearing a rather stylish coat. Obviously, because it was almost winter and it was still raining. And he is an ulzzang, after all.

“Oh, good morning!” Jaehyo greeted with a smile.
“Ah, yes, good morning Jaehyo.” You smiled back, but with a worried face.

Ding!’. The elevator finally came and the both of you got in. Jaehyo pressed the ground floor button and the both of you stood in an awkward silence. You kept tapping your left feet, as if trying to beg the elevator to move faster. Today was the last day of your university registration, and if you’re late today, there’s no more chance to enroll anymore. And you were sure that you’ll be late for work today, but Hyunnie’s scolding could wait.

“Hey… Why are you so hurried? Where are you going to?” Jaehyo broke the silence.
“I’m late for my university registration day. And I’m even late for work too.” You said without looking at him, but your heart was filled with worry.
“Really? Do you want me to drop you off at the university and work? I could wait. My work won’t start till afternoon so…” he suggested, and your eyes sparkle in hope.

All you need was a transport that could go fast anyways. In this rainy state, waiting for a bus would take up to half an hour. Plus some more hours to go to work later. He was your only hope at that time. You couldn’t even answer him properly, and you quickly nodded in response, making him chuckle in seeing your silliness.

------------------------------------------------

“Thank you so much Jaehyo! You’re my saviour! I registered at the very last minute, and I’m so glad the staffs said it was fine! Really, thank you so much!” you said gratefully just as you entered Jaehyo’s car.

The registration went well, although you weren’t expecting it. Just a few minutes ago, Jaehyo was speeding up like crazy to get you to your university. And now the both of you are heading to work. You literally ran to the registration table in the hallway earlier, though.

“No problem. What’s your course anyway?” Jaehyo asked, his eye on the road.
“Well,” you hesitated, “multi-lingual stuff. Because I like languages. It’s weird… I know.”
“Weird? That’s really interesting you know.”
“I guess…” you mumbled with a smile.
“Anyway, where’s your workplace?” he glanced at you.
“Oh, you just have to park this car near your studio. My workplace is just around the corner there anyway. You know, the only bakery there?”
“Oh, yes but I never really go there. You work there? No wonder I saw you yesterday evening…”
“Uhh… right…” you said awkwardly.

A moment of silence passed by, and the both of you had finally arrived. Jaehyo parked the car and before long, the two of you got out of the car. You looked at the time on your phone and gulped, knowing well what would happen later at work.

“Thanks again, Jaehyo. I seriously don’t know how to thank you enough but I have to run now so…” you said, wanting to leave.
“Then tell me your name. Or your age. Hm?” he asked, with a smile.
You blinked, “How old is P.O again?”
“He’s a 93liner so..”
“Well I’m younger than him. Gotta run now, sorry! And tell your manager thanks for the car. Bye!” you said hurriedly before turning away and ran quickly to the bakery.
Jaehyo’s jaw dropped. “How did she know that this is the manager’s car…?”

As you turned into a corner, you bumped into someone and immediately fell, landing on your with a loud thump. You shut your eyes, enduring in the pain with an “ow!”. You stood up and rubbed your back and looked at the person who you had bumped into. She was a pretty girl, stylish as ever. It’s obvious that she’s also a model from the studio. Rather than her , she massaged her forehead. She stood up, frowning from anger.

“Yah! Watch where you’re going !” she spat.
“Fix your language and apologize later, okay? Sorry by the way. Bye!” you said briefly before running past her and quickly get in the bakery.
She turned around to look at where you were going with resenting eyes, before continue walking to the studio.

Upon entering the bakery, you knew that Hyunnie was in the kitchen place at the back, because there was nobody in the counter. You walked slowly to the back and saw Hyunnie standing beside an oven, mumbling to herself angrily. You stood at the entrance of the kitchen, afraid to take any step closer.

“Hyunnie… I’m so sorry for being late…” you apologized, lowering your head.
Hyunnie shot you a look, which you don’t even want to see.
“Explain to me, now” she said, gritting her teeth.
“I woke up pretty late and I had to go register for my university first. I know it’s my fault, so you could scold me as much as you want…” your voice was almost a whisper.
“Never mind,” she sighed, “your work starts in the afternoon anyways, as promised. When are you going to start having classes?”
“Probably next year, because my course is quite rare for people to take. Um, were you in a bad mood because of me?” you stepped near her, and she sighed again.
“Mostly, no. Just before you came in, this one girl stormed in here and ed about something that she asked her manager to buy. She said it was too sweet and not good for her…” Hyunnie rolled her eyes.
“You mean… a stylish model with a leopard-print shawl?” you asked, trying to remember the girl earlier.
“You met her? When?!” she asked eagerly.
“Just now. I bumped into her and then she got mad at me. It’s my fault, but she has quite a mouth for a model” you frowned.
“Tch, if she can’t eat the things that I bake then who told her to eat it?! No wonder that ulzzang dumped her. Dumb as hell.” she said, mumbling a curse.
“Ulzzang? You mean… Jaehyo? How did you know?” your eyes widen.
Hyunnie nodded, “One of the model’s manager is my friend... Do you know that Jaehyo guy? I don’t think he has ever come here before?”
You paused a bit, “Well, he’s my neighbour…”

Just then, a customer came in.

“Oh, we’ll talk about this later. You know what you have to do right?” Hyunnie smiled, signalling that her mood had gotten better.
You nodded and quickly went out to go to the counter at the front.

----------------------------------------------

Time flies, and it’s finally time to close the bakery. It was already 10pm, and the road outside was pretty dark, neatly lit with the road-lamps. You waved Hyunnie as she got on her dad’s car. She had told you that her house was quite far and her dad had to pick her up at times.

After her car moves away, you began to walk slowly to the bus stop. The bus stop is located at the other side of the district, which means that you have to walk by the studios and saloons, whether you like it or not.

The night was so cold, and you have only been wearing a long-sleeved shirt under your coat with a pair of jeans. You pulled the coat tighter to your body to feel its warmth. As you walked across the studio, you saw a male and female figure, being lighten up directly under the road-lamp. You knew who they are, and they were talking rather loudly. The road was quiet, and it was obvious that they were quarrelling.  Given the chance that they didn’t notice you, you decided to eavesdrop out of curiosity.

You took a few steps to the dark side of the road and listened carefully to what they were saying. You knew this was a rude thing to do, but you just can’t help yourself. What are they qurelling about anymore, anyway?

To be continued…

****************************************

Second chapter up! Hmm I don't think I have much to say today...

Thanks for reading and subscribing! I really appreciate it! ^^ Till the next chapter, bye~