Chapter Thirteen

The Ulzzang Next Door

Having no idea of where the two of you were heading to, you stayed quiet as you walked beside Jaehyo. It hasn’t been long since Jaehyo told you that you had to follow him somewhere, and after he gave you some time to get dressed to go out, you two were now walking on a pathway in a park not far from your apartment.

The cold air that afternoon went by a breeze, and you shuddered slightly. Noticing this, Jaehyo called out your name.
“Are you cold?” he asked worriedly.
“Ah,” you shook your head, “it’s okay.”

He smiled slightly, before shifting his gaze back to the front. As you followed him closely, you were starting to know where he was going. Finally arriving at the front gate, you looked up at the colourful, signature tents of the place.

“A circus?” you spoke, looking at a header sign nearby. “It says that the circus is only open during spring…”
“Yeah, I still remember... The first time I went here, was during spring last year.” Jaehyo replied, his eyes full of sorrow.

You observed him for a few moments, before finally getting the idea. You curled your lips, before taking a deep breath as you looked at the empty, unoccupied circus that cold afternoon.

“This was the place where you first met Hana, right?” you asked, knowing the answer well.
“It was really unplanned… And I thought it was fate.” He muttered a reply, as he started to tell you what happened.

FLASHBACK

Jaehyo sighed slightly at the rowdy, noisy sight before him. He was stressed with work, but Jihoon and Minhyuk just had to drag him out to a circus tonight. He wasn’t even in the mood for anything, honestly. The breeze of spring night air passed by him, and he shivered slightly.

As the three of them were walking towards the main tent for the performances at the circus, Jaehyo heard a shrieking, whining voice of a girl. He stopped walking, and looked for where the voice was coming from. Jihoon and Minhyuk went ahead inside, not realizing about Jaehyo who was left behind.

Jaehyo tried to look at the girl, who was standing some metres away from him with her friends. However, her back was to Jaehyo and he couldn’t see her face. She was mad at her friends, about losing something while walking. A brooch, or something. Shaking his head, Jaehyo was about to continue walking when he saw something glittering, almost shiny, on the ground not far from him. Taking out his hands from his jean pockets, he bent his knee a bit and reached for the said jewellery. Dusting it lazily, he immediately knew that it was a brooch. An expensive one, and of course, the noisy girl’s brooch.

Jaehyo began to walk towards the girl, her annoying voice becoming clear as he got near.
“Excuse me…” he spoke.

As the girl turned around, Jaehyo was star struck. Under the shimmering moonlight, he found an angel who was as pretty as a pure flower. That was when he decided, that this girl was his fate.

END OF FLASHBACK

“After that… she thanked me and smiled. The best smile I had ever seen. And a few days after, I found out that she was a new model at my agency. It didn’t took long and afterwards, we were already dating. Everything seemed like a dream then, like we were really fated. But…” Jaehyo couldn’t finish his words. He was staring down, his eyes was nostalgic.

Unbeknownst to him, you were biting your lower lip, overwhelming with emotions. Why was it painful? Why did he met such a girl? Why is it that he met her, instead of you? Those kinds of questions flooded your thoughts, as you clenched your fists to hold it in.

For one whole minute, neither of you spoke a word. A cold breeze passed by, and as you shivered, you came back to your senses. You can’t keep on feeling like this. The one who was in a broken state was Jaehyo, not you. You need to help him. Pushing away unwanted thoughts, you came near him and slowly touched his arm, as if calling out for him. He lifted his head to look at you, his eyes holding in every emotion you should know of.

“Let’s head back…” you said in a low tone, which came out as a whisper.

Glancing one last time at the quiet circus, he started walking away as you followed beside him. He looked really fragile now. Truly devastated, like he wanted to go back to the time and fix everything. You gazed over his side profile, admiring how fascinating he looked.

I wish our fates are tied together, as well…” you whispered very, very slowly.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

It was probably 9pm, and you had just finished your work at the bakery. After waving Hyunnie off, you started making your way to the bus stop. You really seemed out of it today, because you misplaced the parfaits on the bun section, misread the flour measurements, and almost return a different change to a customer. Hyunnie wanted to scold you at first, but after you told her about Jaehyo, she only let out a sigh and told you to go home a little bit early.

For some reason, the pavement looked lonelier than usual tonight. However, the place where Jaehyo was modelling at was finishing off late today as well. From what you heard, Jaehyo was really popular around and was the star of the company so when he was off work for a few days, the company’s schedule are wrecked more than ever.

From where you were walking, you could see someone familiar. Not quite familiar, but you knew that it was Jaehyo’s manager. He looked really troubled, as he was standing alone and frowning. Maybe he was thinking a lot, or maybe he was angry that the director always directed furious remarks toward him instead of Jaehyo himself.

You decided to ignore him, as he was none of your business. But as you just decided that, the manager called out for you and you startled a bit, surprised by his actions. You blinked your eyes as he came towards you, and you looked at his features. Though he was just a manager, he’s just as good-looking. If he wasn’t wearing normal clothes and wore a more fashionable style, people would think that he’s Jaehyo’s model partner instead of a manager.

“Y-yes?” you stuttered.

He smiled and bowed his head slightly, before smiling at you.

“Is your name Nadi?” he asked politely.
You nodded, “Yes. But how-“
“Jaehyo always tell me about things, and he said a girl named Nadi just moved in next door. Are you by any chance, the person he spoke of?”
“I guess…” you were lost for words.
“Ah, then can you send him a little message for me?”
“Message…?”

The manager smiled innocently, as if he was glad.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

After going out of the elevator, you walked through the long corridor to your apartment. Stopping in front of the house next door, you took out a piece of folded paper from your left coat pocket. It was some sort of a letter, which was written just some minutes ago by his manager. After being asked why the manager couldn’t just call Jaehyo by his phone, he smiled and said that the dumb guy hasn’t answered his phone at all.

Taking a deep breath, you knocked on the door. You hoped that it wasn’t Jaehyo, because for some reason, you just don’t wanna meet him tonight.

The door then was opened, and Minhyuk appeared before you. He smiled and greeted you, and you did the same.

“I have a message for Jaehyo.” You spoke, handing over the folded paper.
“Message?” Minyuk tilted his head in confusion.
“Yeah, from his manager.” You shrugged.
“Ah, alright. Thank you.” He took the paper and grinned. “Anything else?”
You were just about to say ‘no’, when you thought of something unexpected. “Tell Jaehyo to get out of his depression and act like a man. It’s depressing for me to even see him like that, you know? It’s not fun.”
He was surprised at first, but then he let out a laugh. “Right, I’ll tell him that.”
And then you came back to your senses. “Eh, wait, no, I didn’t mean it!”
He laughed again, “No, it’s fine.”
“It’s not!”
“Goodnight, bye~” he teased, and closed the door upon your face.

You were dumbfounded, but you knew he was snickering by the door.
“Yeah, thanks and goodnight!” you shouted, before making your way back.

Well, it’s true that you spoke without thinking, but that was your true feeling. It couldn’t be helped if Minhyuk did tell Jaehyo that, and you might be disliked or laughed. But whatever.  It kinda annoyed you, with the fact that you couldn’t do anything to help Jaehyo, and yet he was sad and emotional like this. Like, couldn’t you just erase the memory off? By replacing it or something….

“That’s it!” you shrieked, your voice echoed through the empty corridor.

All you need to do now is not to give in to Jaehyo’s sad and emotional situation. All you have to do is to pull and force him out of that depression, and give him a new light. To give him a new light, to be the light. That’s it!

As you entered your own apartment, you almost skipped happily in. You couldn’t wait to tell Bella about this, and plan something for the weekend.

Back at the apartment next door, Jaehyo was sitting on his bed with the folded paper in his hand. He haven’t read it yet, but he remembered what Minhyuk said earlier. Well, though, not most of it. Minhyuk was just talking off how he worried a lot of people, but he doesn’t see the point. To Jaehyo, people don’t understand what he feels. Nobody knew how hurt he was.

Shaking off other thoughts, he lazily opened the folded paper. As he finished reading that one sentence, his eyes widen in surprise.

“Come back to work by Monday next week, or I’m cancelling off your contract and take that cute neighbour of yours as a substitute… for my heart.  ^_^”

Nobody knew Jaehyo’s heart, but nobody knew how scary his manager could be. He always does what he said he was going to do, and it was scary. For some reason, he twitched in annoyance at the mention of the last sentence. He clenched the paper in his hand, frowning as he did so.

“What the hell….” he whispered under his breath.

To be continued…

* * * * * * * * * * *

Hellllo!! Yess it's been a really long while, since April even omg. I'm so sorry!!! I could give a lot of excuses right now but I have the mood for the holidays now so we'll get to that later. Happy Eid-ul Fitr to everyone celebrating it!

Last time I updated was during Jackpot, and this was during HER. Hmmm, I wish I have wifi. Seriously. 

Anyway, thank you so much for actually subscribing and commenting, I mean, for still having interest in this story ;;; Have wonderful days ahead everyone, and thanks for reading! See ya guys in the next chapter aightt, bye~

p/s; I love you guys!