Chapter Seven

The Ulzzang Next Door

You used the tissue for the umpteenth time to wipe your still red eyes, although there were no more tears left in your eyes. A glass of warm water was placed on the table right in front of you. Jaehyo was sitting next to you on the couch, waiting for the right time for you to speak. Minhyuk was standing nearby, pondering on what to do next. You were in their home, trying to calm yourself down with what had just happened. The two guys would exchange looks, but didn’t dare to say anything in the end.

After a few silent moments, Minhyuk looked over at Jaehyo, giving him the ‘we need to talk’ look. Jaehyo replied with a nod, before standing up to go over Minhyuk. The two went in a nearby room, but made sure to leave the door open just enough to see you sitting on the couch. You were so lost in thought, that you didn’t even realize that Jaehyo wasn’t there beside you anymore.

“What exactly happened?” Minhyuk asked, wasting no time at all.
“I don’t know. I was going out of the elevator when she pushed me back in and closed the doors hurriedly and then she dropped to the floor and cried. I was really shocked!” Jaehyo explained with a hushed voice.
“Calm down! So you don’t see anyone following her or anything?”
“I don’t. Really. What was she doing out there at night anyways? I told her not to walk in dark places.” Jaehyo frowned.
Minhyuk sighed. “Jaehyo ah, do you see that plastic bag she was holding earlier?”
“Yeah… There’s a box in it, and I think there’s cupcakes in it. I put it on the kitchen counter, just in case. Why?”
“Are you dumb? Obviously she went out to buy you something for your birthday! Those cupcakes are for you!”
“What?! How would I know?”
“You were the one who asked her to do something for your birthday!”

Minhyuk’s and Jaehyo’s bickering brought you back to reality. You looked around, realizing that there were inside, and saw the box of cupcakes on the kitchen counter. Knowing that they were quarrelling because of you, you felt really bad. It was time to get out of this apartment and go back home.

“Guys… I’m going home now!” you spoke, loud enough for the two to hear.

They stopped bickering and quickly got out of the room, surprised at how quick you regained strength again. You stood up and took the plastic bag on the kitchen counter before smiling at them.

“Are you sure?” Jaehyo asked.
“You could stay the night here if you want, I don’t think I’m going back to my parent’s house tonight anyway.” Minhyuk said.
Jaehyo looked at Minhyuk and frowned. What he just said actually is weird, to think about it.
You shook your head. “It’s okay. I decided to go back to Chuncheon tonight. I’ll just call someone to pick me up.”
“Ah, I’ll accompany you home.” Jaehyo said, before following you to the door.
“Take care, Nadi-ah.” Minhyuk waved at you, and you smiled.

As you walked to your apartment with Jaehyo following you from behind, Minhyuk grabbed his phone and dialled Bella’s number.

“Yoboseyo? Minhyuk? It’s rare for you to call me. What’s up?” Bella answered with a cheerful voice.
“Hey. It’s about Nadi. She-“
“Nadi? What happened?!”
“Calm down!! It’s a long story. You should ask her yourself when she’s more stabilized. I think she was followed by some stranger, and she was scared. I think Jaehyo pretty much saved her.” Minhyuk explained calmly.
“Really? Gosh, thank you guys! Thank god you guys were still at the apartment. How is she now?”
“Yeah, but me and Jaehyo were planning to leave earlier though. I think she’s really lucky. She was in shock earlier but she’s fine now so don’t worry. She said she’s going to go back to Chuncheon tonight so Jaehyo is accompanying her at your apartment…”
“…Minhyuk? You don’t sound convincing. She’s really okay, right?”
“Of course. Maybe I’m just tired.”
“You know Minhyuk, I saw how you looked at her when you first saw her. Don’t deny it.”
“…Bella, have a good night and Merry Christmas.” Minhyuk changed the topic immediately.
Bella sighed. “Righttt. Merry Christmas to you too, and thank you again. Bye.”

Minhyuk ended the call, and he began to stare at his phone for a few moments. He wasn’t really sure himself. Does he really like Nadi, or was he just attracted? All he knows that he saw Jaehyo’s effort for Nadi, and his own effort was almost none. He sighed.

Back in your apartment, you allowed Jaehyo to come in as you went to your room to pack for your clothes. Jaehyo sat on the couch in the living room, waiting for you patiently. The box was on the table right in front of him, but he didn’t dare to peek inside. There was an aura of sadness around you that night, that made him feel like he had to talk nicely to you and to not say or do anything to hurt you.

You took out your bag and put only your favourite clothes that you always wear. More clothes are at your own home anyways. You decided to change your clothes too. Honestly, you were still in shock, but to think about it, you managed to run away safely and now you are safe. It was no use being sad about it anyways, since that guy didn’t even get to lay his hand on you. You were both grateful and relieved.

You then dragged the bag out of your room before flopping on the couch in front of Jaehyo and held up your phone. You flashed Jaehyo a friendly smile before dialling a number. Jaehyo smiled back, as he looked at your actions.

“Yoboseyo? Oppa? Where are you now?” you asked, and Jaehyo’s eyes widened.

‘Oppa’? Well, obviously it could be your brother, but there’s also a chance that it’s a boyfriend. Jaehyo couldn’t help but to think like that, since you never really tell whether you have a boyfriend now or not. He suddenly became paranoid. What if he doesn’t stand a chance anymore?

After a few minutes, you ended the call and put the phone on the table, looking at the questionable Jaehyo. He looked like he was really curious, but he was scared to ask. You held a laugh, thinking how cute he was. You don’t plan on telling him who it was, though.

“Jaehyo… thank you so much for earlier. If the elevator was late just for a few minutes…” you looked down, playing with your fingers.
“Hey, it’s okay now. You’re going to be fine, alright?” he said, smiling.
“I should have been more careful. I was walking recklessly though. I don’t want to burden anyone anymore…”

Jaehyo was amazed. Tonight, he got to see another side of you. The side where he felt like keeping you for himself to protect you from the dangerous world. His ex was nothing compared to you. She wanted to be protected all the time, it’s annoying.

“Nadi-ah, what were you doing walking alone at night? I thought I told you not to walk in dark places, haven’t I?” Jaehyo asked, keeping his voice as gentle as possible.

You looked up at him, and then the box in front of him. A forced smile formed on your lips. You pulled the box closer to you and slowly opened it. Your heart sank at the sight of its content. The cupcakes were all over the place, and the beautiful decorations on it were all ruined.

“I’m sorry, Jaehyo. This was supposed to be yours… I’m… sorry” you were fighting back tears. You felt guilty, and frustrated. You weren’t the type to cry so much, but this is a whole different situation.

Your eyes were focused on the cupcakes, and you suddenly felt like someone was now sitting beside you. You stood straight up and turned to your left, looking at Jaehyo who was now really near to you. His face was also full of guilt and pity. He slowly wrapped his arms around you and pulled you into a hug as he caressed your hair. He doesn’t want to see your tears anymore for the night. He really doesn’t.

Being in his embrace, you couldn’t think straight anymore. Tears started to fall on your cheeks and you began to sob slowly on his clothed chest. Jaehyo sighed, but he smiled. Being there for you when you needed someone the most was a blessing for him.

It didn’t felt long, before you stopped crying. Jaehyo looked at you and he let out a chuckle, realizing that you were now fast asleep. Just then, your phone vibrated and rang. You were still sleeping, and Jaehyo couldn’t possibly wake you up. He slowly took the phone and answered it politely.

“Who is this? Where’s Nadi?” the guy on the other side asked, feeling suspicious.
“Ah, I’m Nadi’s neighbour. Please don’t get me wrong! I’m just here to accompany her!” Jaehyo explained briefly, not wanting to get in any trouble.
“You better not do anything to her. Can you tell her that I can’t pick her up tonight? I forgot that my car was sent to the workshop earlier.”
“Oh, okay. May I ask who’s this?” Jaehyo asked curiously.
“I’m her brother, of course.”
“Ah…” he let out a sigh of relief.
“Take good care of Nadi. I’ll pick her up tomorrow afternoon. The drive from here to Seoul is just two hours drive anyway”
“Alright.”

The call was ended, and Jaehyo put the phone away. He pulled you closer and leaned against the couch, closing his eyes with ease.

To be continued…

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Hello!! I said I'm gonna update earlier but it's been a week since I said that and I feel really bad omg I'm so sorry!! I hope you guys enjoyed this one though! Everyone's been busy right? I hope you guys stay strong. Don't be stressed okay! You can always talk to me about anything. Just pm me or tweet me or even send me an ask on tumblr hehehe.

Thank you so much for the comments and subscribes! I appreciate each one of you~ and thanks for reading. Till the next chapter, bye~