Chapter Twelve

The Ulzzang Next Door

It was 10 in the morning. You had just finished having breakfast with Bella at the kitchen counter. There was nothing much that you talked about with her, and she understood why. It’s been a few days since the incident at the café happened. You couldn’t sleep for days, because you were worried of Jaehyo. You didn’t talk much either. Heartbreaks are hard to handle, and you knew that much.

After cleaning up and washing your dishes, you took your sling back and prepared to go out for university. Your class won’t start in 2hours, but you feel like going early today. You opened the door and turned back slightly to wave at Bella, but you stopped when you saw the worry in her eyes.
“What’s wrong?” you asked.
“…Nadi, are you sure you’re okay?” she frowned.
“I’m okay. I’m just leaving early to calm my mind a bit. Don’t worry!” you assured her with a smile.
“If that’s the case then… take care…” Bella said, waving you.
You waved back happily and began to step out of the apartment, closing the door behind you.

As you were walking forward, you saw the door next door was opened, and out came Minhyuk. His eyes widened in surprise when he saw you, and he quickly smiled in glee. 
“Good morning!” he greeted.
“Ah, ‘morning” you bowed slightly. 
“Going to class? Want me to give you a ride?” Minhyuk offered.
You glanced inside their house for a bit, before shaking your head. “It’s okay, I wanna take some fresh air by walking and taking the bus today.”
“Is that so….?” He mumbled in disappointment.
You nodded in guilt. 
Minhyuk then let out a sigh. “Hey,” he started, “if you want to, you can go look after him for a while. Or every day, if you would like.”
You blinked. “Who? Me? Jaehyo?”
“Yup. He’s been… quiet these few days.”
“Really? Then… can I really go in?” you asked, almost eagerly.
“Sure. There’s nobody in because everyone left for work, but there’s Kyung. He’s probably sleeping in his room so you don’t have to bother thinking about him. He’s having a cold anyways, so he’ll have to stay in bed.” Minhyuk explained.
“Ah, then which one is the room?” you asked nervously.
“Jaehyo’s at the very far left. Kyung’s beside it. Well, do your best. I’ll be going now.” He smiled, patting your head like an adult patting a kid. You frowned and adjusted your hair, before waving him off with a friendly smile. 

Taking a deep breath in, you began to step in the familiar apartment, making sure to close the door behind you. This apartment was slightly bigger than yours, and the interior is completely different as well. You began to walk slowly with small steps, realizing that the apartment was even messier from your last visit. You know well how it’ll be when guys stay together under one roof, apparently.

Ignoring the filthy surrounding, you went to find Jaehyo’s room. Going to the far left, you noticed two closed doors, and the left one was of course, Jaehyo’s. Curling your lips, you nervously held the doorknob and turned it, very slowly. It wasn’t locked, to your amusement. As the door clicked open, you pushed it slowly as it creaked and looked inside the dark room, which was only a bit bright  because of the sunlight that hardly went in through the closed curtains. 
“Jaehyo?” you called out as a whisper, slowly making your way in the room.

The room wasn’t huge, and it looks like Jaehyo owns the room all to himself. On the bed, you could see a figure curled up into a ball, the blanket almost falling off the bed. You came closer and realized that Jaehyo’s eyes were closed, as if he was sleeping. His breathing was steady, and his hair was almost all over the place. You weren’t sure if he really was sleeping, but nonetheless, you picked up the blanket and laid it on top of him, making sure he wasn’t cold.

You didn’t realize it, but you were admiring at how flawless he was, even when he was asleep. His fair, white skin complimented by his soft, fluffy hair made him really attractive. You couldn’t help but smile, holding in your fangirl squeals. Jaehyo shifted slightly in his sleep, and you were brought back to reality. Not wanting to wake him up, you began to distance away further from the bed, but closer to the study table in his room. 

There were many photo frames that were flipped over facing the ground, except for one. You took and looked at it, realizing who the people in the photo were. It was a photo of Jaehyo, holding Hana tightly close as they posed for the camera. You were wondering why it was the only photo that wasn’t flipped over, and you assumed that it was Jaehyo’s favourite photo. But as you looked at the flipped photo frames, you quickly realized why that one photo wasn’t flipped.

All the other photos of Jaehyo and Hana weren’t perfect at all. Hana would either look like she had a disgusted face on, making playful ugly face or the ones which she distanced herself from Jaehyo. But through it all, Jaehyo was always smiling for the camera, happy for being able to be with Hana. And for some reason, your hands trembled. Your heart felt like it was poked harshly inside out. The ugly truth about it was that Jaehyo loved Hana more than you thought he did. Putting back all the frames, you decided to adjust all of them so they were standing perfectly straight. Biting your lips, you glanced sorrowfully at the sleeping Jaehyo, before walking out of the room and closed the door with a gentle click.

Walking back to the living room, you heard coughing from the room beside Jaehyo’s. “That’s probably Kyung…” you thought. Glancing at your watch, there’s still an hour and a half before class starts. You frowned, deciding whether to clean the whole living room of this apartment or not. You knew that it’ll be uncomfortable to live in an unclean home, but it’ll take more than just two hours to clean the whole thing.

Finally, you decided to enter the kitchen. After putting back your bag at the couch, you folded your sleeves and went to the sink, taking a deep breathe in at the sight of the many dishes waiting to be washed. Slowly, you started to do the dishes and making sure that you’re making as little noise as possible. 

Jaehyo’s eyes fluttered open, when he heard the door of his room closed. He sat up and adjusting his sight for a bit, before taking a deep breath. Jaehyo looked over at his table, realizing that the photo frames were back to their standing stance. He was surprised for a minute there. Suddenly his phone vibrated under his pillow, signalling an incoming message. Sighing, he reached for his phone and read it.
“Hyung, I know you’re not asleep. Who’s in the kitchen now?”. It was Kyung who texted, even though he’s in the next room.
“I don’t know. I really WAS asleep!” Jaehyo typed with a frown.
“Oh, alright…… Cheer up hyung.” Kyung simply replied, and Jaehyo put his phone away. 
Jaehyo ran his hands through his hair in frustration, not knowing what to do.

Back in the kitchen, you let a triumphant smile when you finished doing the stacked dishes. You heard another cough, and that made you worry. Looking around, you knew there wasn’t any food for the two at home. You went to open the fridge, but as expected, there were more drinks than food anyway. You then decided to make porridge, since the first cupboard that you opened revealed a container of rice.

You didn’t realize it, but it took you a while to actually finish making the porridge. You don’t always eat it, heck, you barely cook this in the first place. After some struggle, you were sure that it came out well. You then closed the pot with a lid, admiring your work.
“You’ve worked hard!” A friendly voice startled you, and you turned around to smile at him.
“Thanks, Kyung.” you said, before going to the sink to clean up.
“What did you make?” he asked. 
“Just... porridge.” you simply replied.
“What? No, I ain’t eating that…” Kyung mumbled in reply.
You let out a soft giggle. “Fine, don’t eat it if you don’t want to. I’m taking a leave now, alright?”
“Wait, already?” Kyung looked like he was really surprised.
“Yes, my class starts in an hour~” you then took your bag, ready to go out.
“Ah… But I’m sick… Nobody’s taking care of me?” Kyung pouted, as if doing his aegyo. Not sure if he failed, though. 
You laughed. “Sick people should eat properly and stay in bed! I’ll come again if I have time tomorrow alright?”
Kyung smiled from ear to ear and nodded. He was happy, of course. 

Not wanting to be late, you waved him briefly, said your goodbye and stormed out of the door hurriedly. You know you didn’t have that ‘taking a walk before class to calm your mind’ and such today, but you were satisfied that you could be useful that morning. 

Just as you went out the door, Jaehyo then stepped out of his room. Kyung saw him, and immediately called out to the poor ulzzang.
“Hyung, you haven’t eaten a proper meal, right? Here, have something to eat.” Kyung pointed to the pot of porridge.
“She made it?” Jaehyo asked, somehow surprised.
“Yeah.”
Jaehyo paused for a bit. “Will she come again tomorrow?”
Kyung nodded, and Jaehyo let out a sigh of relief.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

The next day, you excitedly got ready for the day. Though you don’t have any classes for today, you still have to go to work at the bakery at noon. Either way, you had breakfast with Bella again because she has a morning class later. She wondered why you looked happy, and so you told her about yesterday. You also told her about the photos, and when you were speaking about it, Bella realized there was a hint of loneliness in your eyes. But despite that, she left for her college with a relieved heart, seeing you were happy.

After a while, you decided to go visit the people next door. Unfortunately, you were a bit late because Minhyuk had left for work and you weren’t able to meet him. The door was closed, but you didn’t know whether to just barge in or knock……
You then decided to just knock. Etiquette is important, anyway.

What you were least expecting was the person who opened the door. It was Jaehyo, with a tired expression. The moment he saw you, his eyes widened a bit, but he quickly covered it with a calm expression. 
“You’re here today? Did you came yesterday as well?” he asked. In that few seconds, you were relieved to get to hear his usual voice.
“Yeah.” You simply nodded with a smile.
“Well… There’s nobody home, but come in.” he said, before gesturing you to get in.

Even though you hesitated for a bit, you slowly stepped in the house and went straight to the kitchen, not wanting to look at Jaehyo who was closing the door.

There were just a few dishes in the sink today, and you decided to do just that. You were just turning the water tap, when Jaehyo called out for you. He was now standing with his back at the fridge in the kitchen, but a few distance away from you.
“Nadi, why do you have eyebags?” he asked.
“Um, well, I haven’t been able to sleep...” You answered, without looking at him at all. You wondered how he noticed, although you barely looked straight into his face that day. 
“Are you stressed with studies?” he asked again. 
“Not really…”
“Then you should get some more sleep!” he sounded worried.

You huffed and quickly turned the water tap off, having finished your work. You dried your hands in a flash and turned to face him, crossing your arms on your chest. A slight frown on your face, and he was more surprised than ever.
“Enough about me, what about you Jaehyo? How are you feeling?” you asked, stepping closer and stopped right in front of him. Though you had to look up at him because of his height, it doesn’t really bother you much now.

When Jaehyo realized that he had to look down at you and how you were looking up at him with a frown, he let out a soft chuckle. He really thought you were adorable.
“Me? I’m fine as I am.” He smiled. Yes, that forced smile again. 
“Don’t say that when you’re not.” You were serious.
“Well, not perfectly fine, but I’m alright. Is that okay?” 
You shook your head, disapproving his statement. “Is there any way to make you happy, then?”
He paused for a bit, having thought of something. “There is. You have to come with me. We’re going somewhere.”
You blinked. Without a second thought, you smiled. “As long as it’ll make you feel better, then fine. Let’s go.” you said.

To be continued…

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Hellooooooooo~ It's been a reaaaally long while, and I'm so sorry!!!! Well yes I've been busy but actually I don't have internet for a month already T_T I'm using the library's computer to update now (like a boss) but I hope I can update mroe often when I get my internet back ;;;; But I hope you enjoyed this chapter!!

Until then, I'll keep typing new ideas and post 'em when I have chances like this, alright? I'm gonna be having mid year exams starting May (and guess what, my birthday's on an exam day. Every year tbh) but anyway, I'll try my best! Wish me luck hehehe.

Thanks for reading guys, see ya~

p.s: HIT THE JACKPOT, BABYYYY