Chapter Fourteen

The Ulzzang Next Door

The morning was still cold. February has come, and as you walked quickly towards your workplace, you couldn’t help but hear the excitement in a few girls’ voices, squealing in excitement. You were puzzled at first, but then it clicked in your head.

 “Oh. Valentine’s Day. Of course.” you thought to yourself, when an image of an ulzzang flashed into your mind. “Wait, why is Jaehyo’s face appearing in my mind right now?” you squeaked. Luckily, nobody could hear what you have said to yourself. You quickened your pace to the bakery, face slightly red with embarrassment. Now is so not the time to be giddy like a highschool girl falling in love for the first time.

As you stepped in through the glass doors, a scent of bread and chocolate filled the air. The aroma was nice, and a smile formed on your lips. How lucky to work here, in all of places. It felt safe and nice. You saw a male figure at the counter, but took no notice of it and quickly went to the back to put an apron on. Hyunnie was handling the customer, so she should be fine.

After a few minutes, you went out and was left frowning at the figure, still talking with Hyunnie. You stepped closer to Hyunnie and stood before her, not feeling guilty to know what ‘s actually happening. You looked up and your eyes widened a bit, seeing that the guy was actually Jaehyo’s manager. Thank goodness, not Jaehyo but his manager. He glanced at you lazily and smiled, before turning his eyes back to Hyunnie.

“I told you,” Hyunnie frowned, “we don’t do delivery services.”
“But it’s not far from here. We really need these breads and all.” he urged.
“I’m sure there are many staff in that agency of yours. They could carry these!” she argued back. “As you can see, there’s only two of us working here. You expect us to deliver them?”

Your eyes went to the breads and buns right at the counter. Yes, they’re many. There are even boxes of cupcakes and cakes lined up, and a new out-of-the-oven chocolate custards. Even looking at them makes your mouth water. An idea popped into your mind, and you smiled cheekily.

“The thing is,” the guy said, “we’re doing some sort of a ‘rotation staff’ today, and they’re not in the studio right now.”

Hyunnie was just about to flare back, when you stopped her with a gentle tap on her shoulder.

“Excuse me,” you started, “but I can help you with this!” The two was waiting for you to continue with your suggestion, and you decided to carry on talking. “I’ll help you, if you round up your car to the front of the bakery. Afterwards we’ll both load your car with these, and then I’ll follow you to make sure all of these are in good condition. I can even sit and watch by the studio if you want, to make sure things are in order. But! You have to pay more this time.”

A moment of silence, but the guy’s eyes sparkled in delight. He looked rather relieved, and quickly nodded. “I’ll go get the car right now.” he said quickly, before turning around and went out of the door.

That was quick, but Hyunnie’s stare made you felt like shrinking. Was it a bad idea?

“I can’t believe you gave such….. awesome idea.” she scoffed, before rearranging the boxes in order.
“So you agree?” you beamed happily.
“As long as it makes us more money, I have no problem with that.” She smiled, almost a smirk. “But you’ll be busy there today, so bring some drinks if you want to. Oh and the manager got his eyes on you. One wrong step, he’ll fall for you real hard. Your plan is to meet Jaehyo, I know, but don’t slip away and catch someone else’s heart, eh?”
“What do you mean?” you laughed. “There’ll be no guy who’d like me, dressed like this.”

Hyunnie eyed you from head to toe, before smiling. “Girl, you’re really gonna catch some heart today. Take off that apron and you’ll be fine.”

Just then, a honk was heard. The car has arrived, and you quickly get back to work. Little did you know, that what Hyunnie was saying was going to be true in some way.

----------------------

With a box of chocolate cake on both of your hands, and plastic bags full of breads dangling over your arm, you slowly walked behind the manager who was also carrying lots of stuff. When you stepped into the studio, you eyes brightened in excitement and your mouth gaped in awe.

It was just like how you’ve seen it on the videos of idols. The surrounding was mainly gray in colour, and there’s lighting and chairs around. Camera flashes are there now and then, and there was a commotion from all the stuff somehow. The place was huge, bigger than just a studio. It’s because it’s an agency building with a few studios, so that should explain how huge it was.

The kind of studio you were in that time gives you a cozy, warm feeling of couples. It looked almost like a house, with a room, some boarders for the kitchen, and even the living room. Looked like a real house, and you were pretty sure this had cost a lot.

“Here, put it all over the table.” The manager’s voice brought you back to reality, and you quickly followed his instructions.

You put all of the boxes and plastic bags on the long, fancy, new dining table.

“Umm, what’s gonna happen today? Why all of these stuff?” You finally get to ask, after wondering for a long while now.
“They’re doing a Valentine’s Day shoot, so this is all necessary. The ‘rotation’ I talked about earlier means our staff go to other agencies, while other agencies’ stuff come here. It’s actually a competition between us modeling agencies, and so, we also need dazzling models for this one. Jaehyo included, of course.” He ended it with a smirk.
“Ah… I see…” you said, giving an awkward smile.
“Okay, so I need you to re-arrange all of these on the table and give it some ‘Valentine’s lunch heaven’ or maybe breakfast, or something. I’ll call the staff to take the rest of the boxes, so you just do your job here okay?” he said briefly, like he was in a hurry.

He was just about to walk away and you stopped him with a “Hey!”.
“Don’t worry,” he said, “I’ll pay you lots.”
“That’s not the problem!” you laughed, “What’s your name? You’re a busy guy for a manager.”
“Me? I work both as a manager and project organizer, and my name’s Jaehyun. Ahn Jaehyun.” with that, he quickly walked away and left you alone on the dining table.

Shrugging, you began to arrange everything. For some reason, you had talent in this. The plates and everything provided to you was perfect, and you could do your job skillfully. It felt hours doing in, when in fact you managed to finish it in just about half an hour. When you finally arranged everything and straightened your back, you felt a tap and your shoulder.

A cup of chocolate milk was shoved in front of you, and you managed to back away, feeling surprised. Looking up at the one who was holding the drink, you laughed and took the cup with a thanks. He then gestured for you two to sit at the comfortable chairs nearby, and you agreed.

“Jaehyun, is this everything?” you asked, sipping your drink. He made it almost perfectly, with the amount of sweetness and everything.
He tapped his cup idly, as if thinking. “Minus some models who act high and mighty and come late since they’re from a higher-ranked agency, I think everything’s perfect. Must be because of you here.”
You laughed, treating his compliment as a light joke. “I did nothing. Um… Where’s…. Jaehyo?”

For a moment, you could see his face twitch in annoyance, but his smile washed it all away. Must be my imagination, you thought. He then pointed towards the ‘room’ part of the studio, at the end of the corner. The room was not small, but not really huge. From the outside, it looks like it was already decorated with lovely Valentine’s gifts and wishes. Love letters, pink balloons and even teddy bears. Everything’s in there.

“There. He’s gonna shoot there. But where he’s at right now, I have no idea.” He shrugged.
“You don’t know? Aren’t you his manager?” you teased.
“Apparently, yes. But baby-sitter? No thanks.” his remark made the two of you laughed happily.

After knowing his name, Jaehyun sounded friendlier and happier. He was already good-looking, but it’s now like he’s beaming of the sun… if that even makes sense. For you, at least, it does.

You looked back to the room, and a question popped into your mind.

“Wait, does that mean he’s gonna shoot on a freaking bed? With a girl, maybe?” you asked, wide-eyed.
Jaehyun almost choked on his drink, before putting it away calmly. “What kind of question is that? Eventually, it will happen like that. You asked as if you don’t know how models work.”

He ended what he said with a laugh, but he saw the sadness written all over your face. It makes him annoyed. Not because of your sadness, but because of the source of it. He sighed slightly and gave you a warm smile.

“You think about him a lot, don’t you?” he said, rather calmly.
“W-well… I guess I do…” you looked down, almost embarrassed.

Jaehyun then stood up, looking at another corner in the huge studio.
“Well then, there’s your Jaehyo.” he said, and your eyes went to where he was looking.

Jaehyo had came in the studio, chatting happily with a few girls who you assumed were his ‘friendly’ make-up artists. He obviously didn’t notice you, as he sat down on a chair and let himself be immersed in talking with them. He looked…. happy.

“I’ll be leaving now.” Jaehyun said, “But I don’t think calling out to Jaehyo is a good idea. He gets…  a bit serious when he works. But you’ll be here all day, so don’t worry much alright?”

As you nodded in understanding, he smiles again before disappearing out of the studio.

You looked back to where Jaehyo was sitting, with your heart wondering about him. Is he okay now? Now that he started working again, will he be fine? The smile he’s giving right now, was it his true smile and not the fake one before? He looked adorable, wearing a white dress shirt and slacks. His hair was down, and his eyes were sparkly as ever. Before you noticed, a smile formed on your lips. It’s okay even if he doesn’t see you. Seeing him smile like that had already washed away almost all the worries you felt that time.

“Smiling to yourself? I didn’t know the staff here actually has some sort of a mental illness.”

The rude remark was made by an unknown voice, shattering your thoughts into pieces. With a frown, you looked at the person who was now sitting at the chair Jaehyun was on before, glaring daggers at him. However, when his eyes met yours, you felt your glare shaken, turning into a blink of admiration.

He looked perfect.

His skin was really fair, and although not as Jaehyo’s, he looked shining. His face was manly, and yet, looked rather pretty. His hair was a flare, almost like a lion-head, but neater and truly bringing out his handsomeness. His skinny jeans, and his undershirt and coat screamed ‘rock and independent’ everywhere. He looked at you with a smirk, a challenge. And after scanning him from head to toes, you wondered who the heck this guy is and where, in which part of hell, did he came from.

“Don’t know me but you’re already hooked? Thought so.” He grinned this time. He looked…. adorable now.

Pushing away your thoughts, you mentally slapped yourself and sat up straight, almost challenging him back.

“Excuse you, but I never said anything of the sort.” you scoffed.
“Ha, working at a model agency and yet not knowing other models?”
“I don’t work here.” you frowned. “Besides, even if I do, an attitude like yours is not gonna take you anywhere if we’re under the same company.”
“So you don’t work here. And yet you’re here.” he repeated what you said, adding in his own thoughts. Obviously he knew that his attitude is the worst, you thought.
“I work at a bakery and I was just in charge of those.” you lazily pointed at the dining table earlier, in which he made a double-take and stared at it. “Don’t touch that with your gaze.” you joked.
He chuckled at your remark, and now he’s smiling. “Quite talented, I shall say.”

For a minute, you thought he acknowledged you.

“Thank you.” you beamed back with a smile.
“Unfortunately, staying here and staring at other models, won’t make you a model as well. That only happens in a manga, where the girl had to be a substitute when the female model’s not there. In the real world, female models are just enough.” he lazily glanced at where Jaehyo was sitting, before turning his eyes back at you. You felt like you could just, melt under those gaze of his.
“I don’t plan to, okay? I’m just here for those breads and cakes.” you gritted your teeth. “If you don’t behave, I won’t let you eat them.”

Your threat seems to have an impact on him, as he fell silent for a moment. After a while, he was smiling to himself and looked at you. This guy is confusing, really. What the heck.

“Now you’re the one who’s smiling to yourself.” you smirked.
He chuckled softly. “Heh, you’re interesting. What’s your name?”
“You don’t just ask a name after saying someone’s interesting. Besides, people usually introduce themselves first. At least, that’s what I read in a manga.” Your sarcasm made him smiled even wider, for some reason.
“Well, I’m quite popular around here. But if you don’t know, my name is---“
“Jung Joonyoung.” a strained voice cut through your conversation like a knife.

You looked up from where you were sitting, and your eyes widened in surprise. With a smile, you stood up.

“Jaehyo!” you called out. Although you were happy, he was otherwise.
Jaehyo silently glanced at you, before looking at the guy who was sitting. Their gazes are strong; a challenge of men. Joonyoung looks like he doesn’t care, and stood up lazily. He wanted to step away, but Jaehyo stopped him.

“What are you doing here?” Jaehyo asked, almost in a hiss.
“Modeling, in case you don’t know. Beating you from the ulzzang ranks, as usual. Both are my answers.” He replied nonchalantly. His smile has faded, but he was still intimidating.
“Um, Jaehyo…” you called out again. It was the wrong timing, and you knew it.

In reply, Jaehyo shot you a tired glare. Like he’s fed up with something.

“Why are you here, Nadi? This is not a place to hang out.” His voice came out harsh, and you felt your heart sank. You felt like shrinking. He wasn’t that scary when he’s mad like this. When he’s mad at you, that’s another story. All you wanted was to see him and already, he was pushing you away.

Your curled your lips in response, looking down as you felt your mind going haywire with sad thoughts.

“Nadi is your name, then?” Joonyoung spoke up, now coming near you.

All of a sudden, he reached out for your left hand and held it in his, and giving you a smile. You were utterly confused, not even sure what to feel or make out of this situation.

“From now on, I’m taking Nadi under my care. Until my contract of working here is over, she’s mine. Take it or leave it, that’s not your choice. I’m not gonna push away a charming person when she was dying to see someone. Someone….. she may have liked.” Joonyoung smirked at Jaehyo, and you felt like you were thrown in an ocean of confusion. Your face was a slight red as he said that, and Jaehyo’s face fell in shock and horror.

The spark of anger Jaehyo felt then, that was it. That was made him think of something. Made his heart came honest to himself. This, this familiar feeling of something snatched away from him.

I want her to be mine.” Jaehyo’s little heart cried out, but nobody except for himself could hear that.

To be continued…

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Hey hey heyyyy! Long time no see! Five freaking months omg not even kidding, this is the longest I've left something hanging @_@ I'm soooo sorry for the late update! It's been a year since I started this and it was supposed to go by the flow and seasons changing etc but I'm out of track right now haha. But as I always say, I never leave things unfinished. So even if it takes me years (hope not that long), I'm still gonna finish this! This year was depressing but I have just one more year of school so everyone, hang in there with me! 

Now, at this point I'm sure everyone knows who Joonyoung and Jaehyun are. I love Joonyoung (lol not obvious ofcoz) but I had a hard time potraying Jaehyun because I don't keep watch on him much haha but I do like him too! So I'm sorry for the mistakes, but I hope you guys enjoyed this nonetheless! Yes, this is the story of ulzzangs and yeas, I'm gonna throw in as many ulzzangs as I like because I can heheh. Don't say it's impossible for guys to be in love with one girl only. It happens. In life, it happens. I tell you.

And not to forget, my lovely readers, subscribers and commentators!! You guys kept me going! Wish I could repay you, but all I could do is giving you guys chapters like this. This one is long I think... Anyway, thank you so much everyone!! //penguin hugss// And to the person who asked whether I'm updating it, yeaa broo i updateeee hahaha.

I'll try my best to finish the next one just before the end of the year, so please look forward to it hehehe again, thank you! Byeom~