Chapter One

The Ulzzang Next Door

The autumn wind blew upon your face, making you shiver from the coldness. You looked up at the bakery right in front of you, your hand nervously clutching at the papers in your hand. You had finally arrived to your supposedly workplace, in Seoul. It was just your second day in Seoul, away from your home in Chuncheon. There were a lot of reasons why you moved here alone, but you decided to forget it and concentrate with your life now. You took a deep breath, trying to ease your nervousness.

Slowly, you pushed the glass door open and went in the bakery. The scent in the bakery was nice and the atmosphere was warm and welcoming. You saw someone your age, scribbling something on a paper at the counter. You assumed that maybe she was a worker here. You came near the counter and called out for her, making her look at you.

After some introductions, you learned that her name’s Hyunnie, and she is the owner of the bakery. She’s a cheerful and diligent one. Her mom and your mom are friends, and that’s why you get to apply for a job here, thought you barely know her yourself. You were actually reluctant at first, since all you wanted was to live independently in Seoul without your mom’s help. In the end, you had to agree since there’s no way you could find any job soon.

Since she said that you could start working sometime tomorrow, you decided to have a stroll around the area so that you won’t get lost in the district. You looked around, trying to remember the place well in your head. As you walked to a corner not far from the bakery, you read the signboards of the places. “Studio… Studio… Saloon… this isn’t just any place. It’s a place for models, right?” you thought.

Just then, you saw a guy walking out of the studio with some girls and another guy who probably is a manager. The girls were pretty, and you assumed that they’re models. You couldn’t see the guy’s face though, because with his tall height, he kept lowering his head like he was gloomy or something. His smile seemed like a forced one. You didn’t realize it, but you were actually standing, staring at him for a few seconds since he came out.

Like an instinct, he lifted up is face and looked at you. You looked at back him, jaw dropping in amazement. He was the most good-looking guy you have ever seen. You couldn’t even describe how handsome he was, because he just took your breath away. He is, what you call, an ulzzang. He smiled at you, and you smiled back, being polite. Honestly, you don’t like good-looking people. To you, their standards are too high and they only think of themselves.

Still, you could feel that his smile was painful. He then turned his head away from you and started talking again with the girls, and you decided to continue walking, reminding yourself that you might not meet him ever again. After a while of walking, you decided to get on a taxi to go home.

The apartment you live in was actually shared with your childhood friend, Bella. The apartment has 10 floors, and each floor has only four doors, divided with a very huge gap from each other. Bella is from a quite rich family, and the spacey apartment was hers all alone. She moved to Seoul just as the high school year started back then, and you were grateful that you were still in contact with her until now. She’s a nice girl, too.

After going out of the elevator, you made your way to the far left end of the hallway. Since you had just arrived here yesterday, you didn’t even have time to know the neighbours. As you were getting near the door, you heard people laughing from inside, like there were many people inside. The door wasn’t locked, too, it seems.

Upon opening the door, all eyes were on you. Your eyes widen in surprise at the crowd. You saw some guys sitting at the couch on the living room, and you saw Bella was busy in the kitchen. There’s some junk food on the table and a cake on the kitchen counter. Bella who was aware of the sudden silence quickly got out of the kitchen and smiled at you, gesturing you to come in. You closed the door behind you and smiled at everyone. You waved at everyone awkwardly and bowed.

“These are the guys next door. They’re nice, so don’t worry. Go and join them, okay?” Bella said with a smile, and you nodded. You went to the couch and sat beside someone who kept staring at you, even when the others had turned their attention away from you.
“Hiii! So you’re Bella’s new roommate?” a guy who was sitting at the couch next to your couch asked.
“Nae… hi.” you smiled back.
“The name’s Kyung. Park Kyung.” He introduced himself as he shook hands with you.
“Jiho. Just call me Zico” a guy who was watching the television nearby said.
“Kim Yukwon”
“Taeil”
“Pyo Jihoon. Call me P.O!”

You nodded at everyone with a smile still plastered on your face. You turned your head to the guy next to you who haven’t introduced himself.

“And you are?” you asked.
“Minhyuk. Calling me B-Bomb is okay” he answered, finally snapping out of it.
“… So you guys live together?”
“Yup. There’s another hyung living with us but he’s kinda late tonight…” Kyung said.

Just then, the doorbell rang. Before you could do anything, Kyung quickly dashed to the door and opened it, inviting someone to come in. Your eyes widen at the figure. You knew you had seen him earlier that day. It was the ulzzang!

He sat at the couch that Kyung sat earlier and adjusted his coat and hair. You stared at him, making him turn his head to you. He was surprised, like you were earlier.

“Oh, aren’t you the girl I saw earlier?” he asked with a bright expression, and you nodded.

The others were of course, confused. Just then Bella joined all of you. They talked a lot, and you could see that Bella is quite close with them. You were mostly quiet and nodded to everything they say, with a wide smile on your face. Although you’re usually talkative, maybe it was because you were still new to this environment that you decided to just listen.

You learned that some of them are underground hip hop singers, rappers and producers, some are dancers and that ulzzang is a model (obviously). They were just hanging out at Bella’s house once in a while to relieve the stress from work. They did ask about you, and all you told them was that you were from Chuncheon and is enrolling in a university in Seoul. Honestly, each one of them are really funny people.

It was 11pm, and everyone was tired. None of them were drunk, though, because Bella’s house is alcohol-free. They all decided to go home after all the mess with the junk food and pizza boxes, which you volunteered to clean them. You and Bella waved them goodnight as they went out of the door, still joking around each other.

Jaehyo and Kyung were the last to leave. As you were about to close the door, you called out for Jaehyo, making him look at you.
“Hey,” you started, “If you don’t want to smile, then don’t force yourself.” You gave him an apologetic smile. As much as you dislike people like him, you just can’t help saying that.
He was surprised by your words. You then waved him one last time and closed the door.

“Hey, does she know anything about me?” Jaehyo asked Kyung as they continued to walk through the hallway.
“No. But hyung, you probably thought ‘oh, she’s just another girl’ earlier right?”
“Sort of. She is, right?”
“You should think again hyung. She’s short with chubby cheeks but she’s quite cute. When we were busy talking, she wasn’t even interested to get in our conversations. And I didn’t see her trying to appeal to one of us. Lastly, guess what? She didn’t even tell us her name!” Kyung explained, almost sounding like a creepy stalker who kept staring at you.
He then left Jaehyo, standing there by himself, dumbfounded.
“Maybe she is different…” Jaehyo mumbled to himself, running his hand through his hair.

 

“So, which one of them caught your eye? The ulzzang?” Bella asked as the two of you were picking out trash from the floor.
“What?”
“You heard me.”
“Well yeah, the ulzzang is good-looking. But I don’t think I’m attracted that much.”
“Really? What if you do fall in love with him?” Bella wriggled her eyebrows, and you giggled.
“He probably has a girlfriend already anyway.” You took the broom to sweep the floor.
“He just broke up recently. This sort of ‘party’ was actually planned to lift his mood up. That’s what Zico told me.” You stared at Bella in disbelief.
“But…” you frowned, “aren’t ulzzang the ones who change their girlfriends often, self-praising all the time and only care about themselves? I have a LOT of negative thoughts of them”.
“Dear, I was just kidding, okay? I don’t know him that well but it’s okay. Why don’t you calm down and enjoy your life for now? Love can wait.” Bella patted your shoulder as she walked pass you.

You blinked. Apart of you wanted to ignore the ulzzang, but the other part of you wanted to know him more. You took a deep breath, being sure that life has a lot in store for you in this new place.

To be continued…

*******************************************************

Yay, first chapter done! Will start on second chapter soon hehe.
So, how was it guys? This was mostly introductions so obviously it has nothing much to start with...
I hope this sparked your interest hehe do comment or subscribe if you like.
I'm still working out with the fonts and size. Still couldn't find the suitable one though sighs

Thank you and see ya in the next chapter~