They're Always There

We Are Bulletproof

 

           "Duck." Nicole and Kibum say at the same time. I duck and an egg whizzes past my head. I can't believe this is still happening. It's been a week since the announcement, but the people continue to humiliate me in the cafeteria everyday. 
 
           Well, look at the bright side, my avoiding all sorts of food is really improving my agility, or as least that's what Sooyoung is trying to convince me to believe. I still feel doubtful of myself at times, but I know I won't quit. Not when I've already taken this much. 
 
          "You, over there! Why don't you audition for our company? Don't all teenagers want to be idols nowadays?"
 
          "Well, I don't." I ignore the man in a suit holding up a business card for MS ENTERTAINMENT, and walk away. 
 
          "Just think about it. I think our company could use someone like you." I push my glasses up the bridge of my nose and continue walking.
 
          "Ya, Nana! What are you zoning out for?" Kibum's voice  brings me back to reality. Nana? Oh, right. Everyone has to call me by my stage name now.
 
          "Oh, nothing... I was just remembering how this problem started in the first place. I think it was because of Sooyoung?"
 
          "Yeah, remember that MS ENTERTAINMENT guy?" Sooyoung giggled. 
 
          "Jinah! Let's go for this... MS ENTERTAINMENT!" Sooyoung shouts at me, waving from across the hall. I make my way to her and give her a flat out no. Why would I want to join some sort of idol audition competition when the winner isn't even guaranteed to debut? 
 
          "Jinaaaaaaah!!" Sooyoung whines, "I know you wanna... and I already sent our profiles! We don't need to audition! The CEO even said that they could use someone like you." 
 
          "The CEO said that?" Is it the same dude that called out to me a while ago? So it was Sooyoung that sent our profiles? Hmmm...
 
          "Yeah! He even said that they already have special roles planned for us."
 
          "Yeah, and that role is why you're suffering now." Kibum chuckles darkly. 
 
          "Hey! It looked promising at that time!" Sooyoung counters. 
 
          "But you guys didn't even think of what could possibly happen..." Kibum trails off and then his eyes widen. 
 
         "Duck!" I have no time to react, and I get slushied in the face. Mmmmm. Blueberry. Not. Even though my agility's improved, I still get hit once in a while. Can't these people just stop and see that I CAN'T TAKE THIS ANYMORE?! 
 
          I run to the restroom for the millionth time, and Sooyoung follows. Stuff are thrown at her too, but she's better than me at dodging so she doesn't get hit. 
 
          When I look back, I see a really tall guy shouting at the people, telling them to stop. At least not everyone hates us. 
 
          Sooyoung throws me spare clothes, and we change in the restroom. Although I still see insulting graffiti on the walls, it affects me less now. 
 
          "I'm sorry." Sooyoung's voice shakes, and I can tell that she's trying really hard not to cry. 
 
          "I thought we already went through this! I'm okay, and this is definitely not your fault. Besides, this'll all die down sooner or later."
 
          "You're right," she sniffles, "I was the one who told you that you shouldn't regret your decision. Hehe."
 
          Outside the restroom, Kibum and Nicole are waiting for us. Again. I get that guilty feeling again, they also have to dodge bullets for us. Well, food, not bullets, but you get my point. 
 
          "Don't feel bad for us, Nana." Kibum's reading my mind again. "And sorry 'bout what I said earlier." 
 
          "S'alright. We forgive you." Sooyoung answers.
 
          "Excuse me, but I was talking to that y lady over there, not you." Kibum jokes, pointing at me. 
 
          That's right, I'm the y member of our group. Sooyoung, no, Lizzy has the cute role. The company is finding more members, but apparently Lizzy and I are sure to debut with this group. This is why I took the chance to become an idol. 100% chance debut, how could I resist?
 
          I've heard people saying that I slept with the CEO, or at least seduced him. I didn't do that, and I keep trying to convince people that I didn't, but I still see the words "sl*t" and "wh*re" associated with my name. But through all these hurdles in my life, I still do my best to be an ordinary student, and live like I'm not an idol at all.
 
          Speaking of being normal... "Jinah, I mean, Nana! Hihi~ Let's go! We're going to be late for Chemistry!" and Sooyoung pulls my hand towards our next class.