Taste My Wrath

We Are Bulletproof

 

          I look left and right, making sure that the hallway is clear. I wore my hair up, put on my nerd glasses, and I deliberately did not put on any makeup. When Sooyoung first saw me this morning, she cussed like a sailor. I have an image to uphold, I know, but I can't afford to be seen by Kris.

          When I explained my situation to Sooyoung, I automatically gained a personal bodyguard. The day passes by quickly and without any... unusual occurrences.

          I breathed a sigh of relief as I walked with Sooyoung to the company van. We were on the way to training, and I didn't see Kris the whole day! Woohoo!

          I should've known, though, that being unlucky as I was, I wouldn't get off scot-free. I never did, and I never will. The second Sooyoung decides to go into a restroom, I feel a hand on my arm.

          I look up, hoping that it's Kibum, Nicole, Seohyun, Minhyuk, anyone, even Hyojung, but I know who it is. Worry creasing his forehead, he asks me if I've been avoiding him.

          "I'm not! It's just that... I'm not interested." Sounding guilty and clearly looking the part, I avoid his eyes.

          Comfortably, he takes my chin in his hand and turns my head so that I'm looking directly at him. "Why?" he asks.

          Even though I feel awkward, I look him in the eye. "Because you hurt my friend."

          "Your... friend?" He looks confused for a while, probably thinking about the millions of girls he'd rejected and wondering which one of them is "my friend".

          "Nicole." I helped him.

          When he still couldn't give a reply, I took the liberty to give him an rejection of my own.

          "You don't date ugly girls, remember?" I said, trying to inject as much venom into my voice as possible.

          Just as recognition started to dawn on his handsome features, Sooyoung walked out of the restroom. Perfect timing. I grabbed her hand and started pulling her towards the van.

          "Wait, I didn't mean that! I'm not that kind of guy!" Kris' voice followed me as I walked away. It felt good to assert myself this way.

          "Well, whatever sort of guy you think you are, I sure as hell know I ain't dating a guy like you." I shouted back at him. Sooyoung turned around and stuck out her tongue.