Why? Why Me?

We Are Bulletproof

          Today is our first day of practice with Nicole, so we have to be there early. Therefore, I'm gonna miss band practice with Joohyun and the guys again. I text her and steel myself for training. 

          With Nicole here, I officially become the most useless member of the group. Before she arrived, I could have passed as the best dancer, but seeing her skills, I lose confidence. I really don't want to be another "useless visual". There are plenty of people in our school who are dubbed as such, but I know for a fact that they ARE talented. Yoona can dance, Seokjin can sing, Seolhyun can do ballet, Himchan is totally awesome with instruments, and I'd like to think that I'm a decent dancer myself.

          I practice extra hard in all areas, but our coach just tells me once again that I'm a good visual. "If you can pull off that ratty hair and nerdy glasses look, you can pull off any concept."

          I'm glad for that, but I still need to push myself. Immersed in practice, I'm surprised when the music suddenly stops, and I see Hyojung glaring at me. What is it this time?

          "If you didn't notice, Nana, you're phone's been beeping for the last 20 MINUTES!!" Her voice gets louder with each word, I swear, that girl isn't a main vocal for nothing. 

          I mumble an apology and make a dash for my backpack. I could've sworn I put it on silent this morning, though. 

          I don't know if I should be surprised or not, but a lot of the messages are from Kris. Telling me he's sorry about Nicole, that he really would like to get to know me better, and stuff like that. I want to ignore it, but Hyojung grabs my phone and before I can snatch it back, she reads a message. Out loud. "Babe, I'm really sorry?" Hyojung raises an eyebrow at me. You and... Kris?

           Nicole's head shoots up. I try to explain, but she runs away. Hyojung smirks and returns my phone. "Better put your track-and-field skills to use, babe." 

          I want to hit her, but of course that wouldn't get me anywhere, so I just turn and follow Nicole. 

          "Hey... Nicole, I'm going to explain." I say after I catch up to her (I'm not captain for nothing!!).

          "Actually Sooyoung told me about it just now. Sorry I doubted you," she says. Oh. How anticlimatic. 

          I glance at Sooyoung (who seemed to just magically appear out of nowhere) and give her a thank-you-so-much smile. 

          "I totally give you my permission to date Kris." Nicole tells me, eyes bright. "You'd become the it-couple of the school in no time!" This girl is seriously too nice.

          "But I'm not interested!" I reply, flustered.

          "Just give it a try, it's not prohibited." Sooyoung interjects, confusing me even more.

          "But you told me to stay away from him!" 

          "Yeah, but if Nicole here gives the A-Okay, then I'm good," she grins.

          "Stop pushing it guys, it's not going to happen." I say, walking back to the practice room, hoping to end this conversation.

          "I just want to what would happen if you dated the most popular guy in school," Nicole tells me, "beating out all the popular chicks that want him. Do it for me, Jinah." Her tone is joking, but her expression says that she knows I'm pretty much going convinced already. 

          "I know you like challenges." Sooyoung added.

          "Challenge accepted!" Sh*t, what have I gotten myself into???

          "Text him right now!" Nicole commands. I'm starting to regret this, but oh well...

           CU at school tomorrow. I hit send.

          "That's it?" Sooyoung practically screams. "You're boring as always," she teases.

          "No, that's great! Play hard-to-get!" Nicole nods enthusiastically. 

          I'm dead meat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          After practice, I check my phone. I can't help my curiosity. I have a message, but I'm surprised to see that it's from an unknown number, and no name is mentioned either.

          So I heard that I had great arms...?

          ...

          ..........

          Like I said, DEAD MEAT.