Eight

The Only Words Left to Say Are "I Love You"

 

Minji heard the door close, so she quietly peeked in the direction of Seungho’s room. The tips of weighed down and she let out a long, silent sigh. She pressed her hand to her forehead to the place he had kissed, and felt the heat rising to her cheeks.

Don’t be silly! You like Joon! We’ve already thought this over. Seungho is just an oppa. We’re not even close enough for and oppa-dongsaeng relationship. We’re more like…what are we like?

But was he so cold towards me before? Is he mad I stood him up? It wasn’t even a date! He just said hewanted to meet! So really, this shouldn’t’ be my fault at all!

But I feel so guilty…

 

Minji had a rude awakening, a few hours later, when she took an unfortunate tumble from the couch, smaking her hand on the coffee table on the way.

Seungho, too, had a rude awakening, when he was jolted out of his uncomfortable sleep by a long, loud wail from the living room.

He leaped out of bed, grabbing a heavy flashlight on the way, ready to defend against any intruders, etc. He bolted out of his room, only to find Minji rolling around unintelligibly on the ground, clutching her hand. And screaming.

He dropped the flashlight and made his way over to her. He held her down to make her stay still, and she finally stpped struggling after a while.

“Are you okay?” he asked, trying to keep his tone even and cool. He arranged his face into what he thought was a slightly disapproving, slightly weirded out expression. Not a hint of caring.

“My hand,” Minji breathed. “It hurts. Like crap.”

Seungho swallowed a sigh of relief, got up, and retrieved an ice pack from the fridge. He tossed it to her, and she wrapped it around her hand.

“Thank you,” she smiled.

He did not return it. “Just keep yourself out of trouble,” he said harshly.

“I’m sorry,” she squeaked. “I didn’t mean to wake you up…”

Seungho scoffed, and stormed back into his room, slamming the door.

 

When Seungho woke again, the sky was dark outside, and the stars were just coming out. He stretched, changed into a v-neck and sweats, then made his way into the living room. Minji was still sleeping on the couch, and Mir’s blanket had dropped onto the ground. Seungho made his way across the living room and gently laid the blanket back over Minji’s figure.

She stirred, then opened her eyes. She rubbed them a bit, and adjusted to her surrounding, finally focusing in on Seungho.

“Oh,” she said. And then a sickly glaze washed over her eyes, she heaved once, then covered quickly. She looked up at Seungho desperately, so he pointed wordlessly to the bathroom, and jerked his head that direction.

Seungho watched as Minji jumped off the couch and bolted to the bathroom. He followed her silently and stood in the doorway.

He noticed how frail she looked, as if her limbs could fall off if you tugged too hard, and she could be blown away if the wind was particularly strong.

After she was done “being sick,” she rinsed and wiped it with the back of her hand. She straightened up and stared at Seungho staring back at her. Her gaze dropped to the ground and she fumbled with her fingers as she mumbled, “Sorry for disturbing you again…”

Seungho sighed, “Come. You need some medicine.” He reached for her hand and pulled her back into the living room. “Sit.” He gestured to a chair.

She sat uncomfortably as Seungho went back to the bathroom to root around for a bottle of Tylenol.  By then, Minji had set her head down on the table in a sort of awkward sleeping position. Seungho quickly poured a glass of water and sat down next to her. He lifted her head gently off the table.

“Here,” he said handing the glass of water to her. Seeing her unresponsive, however, he carefully tipped some water into . Then he took out two pills from the bottle and fed them to her. Minji winced and took another swig of water, forcing the medication down.

 

Joon, G.O., Chundoong, and Mir finally finished their recording. Upon walking into the dorm, the foursome found Seungho watching television on mute with his arm around Minji, her head leaning on his shoulder. Chundoong stood wordlessly, wideyed. G.O. simply winked at Seungho, and went to pour himself a drink. Joon was fuming. Only Mir broke the silence.

“Aww hyung! You’ve been watching tv all this time? Move over, I want to see!”

G.O. came back and gave Chundoong a light pat on the back, breaking him out of his stillness. He looked over to see Joon clenching his jaw, about ready to kill.

“Lee Joon! Go wash your hair. It looks terrible.”

Joon snapped his head up to look at G.O. then got up and stiffly walked to the bathroom.

By this time, Minji had woke up from all the commotion in the dorm. She looked around groggily, and realized she was leaning on Seungho.

“Oh! I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to bother you by leaning on you or anything…”she trailed off, then hurridly stood up and shuffled over to Chundoong, attempting to hid behind him.

G.O. moved over to Minji and patted her shoulder.

“Come on. I’ll take you back to your dorm,” he said, taking her hand and leading her to the door.

Minji bowed quickly to Seungho. “Thanks for taking care of me,” she squeaked, and followed G.O. out the door.

 

G.O. watched Minji enter her building. “I really don’t understand why they all like her. She’s really nothing special,” he said out loud. “I mean, sure she’s really pretty, sure she sings well, sure she acts well, sure she’s good hearted. But really. Tons of girls are like that. I just…can't believe Chundoong would...” G.O. trailed off. He shook his head, as if to shake the thought out of his head, then pulled out of the building’s driveway and stared heading back to the dorm.

G.O. walked in the door, expecting a greeting, only to find Chundoong busy cooking, Mir running around randomly, and Seungho passed out on the couch. Joon was no where in sight.

“Hyung!” Mir said excitedly. “Can you take me to the nightmarket? I really want to get a get well gift for Minji Noona!”

G.O. smiled to himself. “Of course I’ll take you. I mean, I am your personal driver and all.”

Mir pouted. “Aww, I didn’t mean it like that, Hyung! I LOVE you!! You’re the best hyung in the whole wide world!!”

“Yah,” Seungho mumbled from the couch.

“Ah, you ALL are, Hyungs!” Mir corrected himself. “But of course I like YOU best,” Mir whispered to G.O. “So won’t you take me to the nightmarket? Just this once??”

G.O. felt pressured to give in to the aegyo, and nodded reluctantly.

“Yessssss,” Mir squealed. “I’ll go get my stuff!” He darted off to his room.

“Ah, Hyung!” Chundoong called from the kitchen. “If you’re going to the nightmarket, can you get some baking soda? We ran out.”

“What are you making?” G.O. asked.

“A cake! Minji’ll eat this Feel-Good-Cake, and be all better!” Chundong smiled widely.

G.O. frowned. What was all this fuss about Minji? Seungho was technically sick too, but no one’s making him get well stuff…

Aish. What do I care? They can do what they want.

“Are you ready?” G.O. called impatiently.

Mir shuffled out of his room. “Yup! Let’s go Hyung!”

 

At the market, G.O. pushed the cart, following Mir as he spazzed around looking for a gift.

“Will Noona like this?” Mir asked himself, picking up a stuffed bear holding a cute heart. “Nah. Girls like…What do girls like?”

G.O. laughed. “Girls like flowers. And chocolate. And pink things.”

“Yeah, I know that,” Mir said. “But my gift has to be extra special. Because my Noona is extra special.

“Why do you even call her your ‘noona’?” G.O. questioned. “She’s only one day older than you.”

Mir shrugged. “I’m used to being the youngest.”

After an hour of navigating the supermarket, Mir finally decided on a large plush flower, a get well card that sang “Get well soon Noona~~~” when you opened it, and a box of quality peppermint tea.

G.O. remembered Chundoong’s request for baking soda, so told Mir to check out first and wait for him.

He rushed to the baking isle, looking for baking soda.

Chundoong really likes Minji, doesn’t he? He’s baking her a cake. I want a cake…cake sounds really good right now…should I buy myself a cake? What kind of cake? Chocolate cake. Yesssss. Oh wait. If I eat cake, then I’ll be fat. Five weeks of dieting. Down the drain. Right there. Fine. No cake.

He grabbed some baking soda and headed back to checkout.

 

Chundoong was finished with the cake when they got back.

“Hyung! Mir! You’re back,” he said brightly. “Do you think we can take this to her now?”

“Now?” G.O. said, bewildered. “It’s a bit late.”

“Oh,” Chundoong’s face fell. “I wanted to surprise her, but you took her back too early. I guess we can go tomorrow.”

Just then, Joon stepped out of the shower, hair dripping and all.

“I’m going to Minji’s” he declared, then stepped into his room, locking the door.

Chundoong and Mir both bolted to Joon’s room. Finding the door locked, they started banging loudly on the door instead.

“Hyung! Open up!! Take us with you! Please!!” they pleaded.

Joon swung the door open suddenly and the two tumbled to the ground.

“I’m going alone.” He closed the door again.

“Aww, Hyung! Just this once!! Let us come!!”

“No,” they heard him say tonelessly from inside the room.

Chundoong nudged Mir. “Let’s hitchhike in the back of his car.”

The two grinned mischieviously, then snuck out of the dorm with their respective gifts.

Mir whispered to G.O. “Don’t tell Joonie Hyung! We’ll be back! Bye!”

G.O. snickered.

Joon came out of his room again. “I’m leaving now.”

 

Joon stopped at the nightmarket to pick up a bouquet for Minji, as well as some fruit.

As he pulled up to Minji’s place, however, the two magnaes burst out of the back seat.

“Surprise!!!” they screamed.

“Aish! What are you doing here? I told you not to come!” Joon yelled back.

“But we really wanted to see Noona!” Mir explained. They jumped out of the back seat before Joon could say anymore and ran inside the building. Joon sighed and followed them to Minji’s dorm.

 

Minji answered the door groggily. Only to be jolted awake with Mir and Chundoong’s shouts of “Get Well! Surprise!”

She smiled weakly. “Thanks…”

Chundoong pushed his cake toward her. “I made this for you! Eat it well!”

She giggled. “I’ll think of you when eating it.”

Mir handed over his present too. “Noona! This is for you too!”

 

All the while, Joon hung back, his bouquet hidden behind his back. Finally getting impatient, he said, “You two. It’s getting late and you should head back to the dorm. We have a long day tomorrow.”

They looked at him pleadingly, “Five more minutes!”

Joon glared. “Go. You gave her the stuff, so why linger?”

Chundoong reached out to give Minji’s hand a gentle squeeze. “Will you be okay? Are you feeling better?”

Minji smiled. “Of course. Now that I have your cake, I’m feeling loads better.”

“Then that’s good,” Chundoong sighed, relieved.

Mir gave Minji a hug. “Noona! I’ll miss you!”

Minji grinned. “I don’t even get why you call me Noona. I’m only a day older than you.”

Mir wiggled around in his seat cutely. “It’s because I like you, Noona.”

“Yah! Weren’t you two leaving?” Joon called annoyed. “Take the lightrail. And don’t even think about hiding in my car again.”

The two shuffled reluctantly out of Minji’s dorm.

Joon made his way over to her, pulling the flowers from behind his back.

Minji tried hiding her smile, then grabbed the flowers from him, smelling them, satisfied.

Joon laughed at her. “Feeling better already? I guess I won’t have to worry then.”

“Didn’t you hear me saying I feel better just now? I usually do, after taking a nap.”

Even so, Joon wrapped his arm around her. “Shall I stay?”

Minji snuggled into his chest. “Yeah.”

 

“Is Joon staying over?” G.O. sniggered after hearing Mir report that they came back without their hyung.

Seungho sat up suddenly. “What?! Aish that kid.”

The three gave him weird looks, and he explained hurridly, “We’re not supposed to leave the dorm at night. You know that…if Jihoon Hyung finds out, he’ll be pissed.”

“Then don’t tell,” G.O. shrugged. “Unless you have ulterior motives…”

“Yah. Are you questioning my authority as leader?” Seungho threatened. He pulled out his cell, about to call Joon.

G.O. wrestled the phone away from him. “Don’t. He’s just having fun.”

“And I’m supposed to just let him? He can’t! She’s MY girlfriend!” Seungho burst angrily.

Fake girlfriend,” Chundoong corrected. “She really likes Joonie Hyung.”

Seungho couldn’t hide how displeased he was to hear that.

And neither could Mir. “Hyung!! Of course Noona likes me best!” He made his best cute face. “How can she resist this?”

They laughed uncomfortably, but relieved that Mir smoothed over the tension among them.

“Let’s sleep,” G.O. suggested. “Seungho, don’t worry. I’ll wait for Joon. If he doesn’t come back by 2, I’ll go over right away and take him back here, okay?”

Seungho relented, and made his way to his room. It’s fine. G.O.’s got this covered. Minji’s fine. The guys already checked up on her. Why should I worry? Chundoong’s right. She’s only my fake girlfriend. Why should I care what she does? She can like whomever she wants and it’s none of my business. Besides, we’ll break up soon, and I won’t have to deal with all this crap.

But why can’t I fall asleep? It must be because I slept so much today from being sick.

…She’s with Joon right now. And I don’t like it. Aish. Seungho. Go to sleep.

Mir went to his shared room with Joon, staring sadly at the empty bed beside him. You’re having fun with my Noona, aren’t you? Noona likes ME best. She likes ME best. She has to…

Chundoong fell asleep immediately, and started snoring away.

G.O. cast a longing look at the sleeping boy. Chundoong-ah…do you really have to like Minji? She’s really not that great. Don’t like her. She’ll only cause you pain, pain I can’t fix. Don’t like her. I…You…

G.O. shook his head and buried his face in his pillows. Aish. Get a hold of yourself. Chundoong’s your dongsaeng. Why are you thinking these weird thoughts? You’ve been reading too many fanfics. Besides, manly guys like pretty girls. Pretty girls. Chundoong is pretty…but he’s not a girl. So why would you like him? I mean…there’s no reason for me to.

I’m simply worried because he’s like a brother to me. Yeah…that’s it…