Twelve

The Only Words Left to Say Are "I Love You"

 

Seungho pulled up to Minji’s building. He angrily made his way up the stairs to Minji’s dorm, and banged loudly on the door.

Minji rose, hearing the urgent pounding, and asked tentatively, “Who is it?”

“Open up,” Seungho said gruffly.

Upon hearing his voice, Minji opened the door a crack and peeked out at him. Unknowing to Minji, Lee Joon had also made his way to the door, and was standing behind her.

Seungho, catching sight of Joon, felt his anger rising. He pushed open her door, and strode in.

“I thought you said you were tired,” Seungho said sarcastically. "But I see Joon came over after I left."

“Seungho-ah,” Minji protested. “There’s a misunderstanding.”

“Not that it matters,” Seungho spat. “There’s an issue that’s always needed addressing.”

He and Joon locked eyes, and a tense moment later, they broke eye contact, each unconsciously reaching out to take Minji’s wrists.

She stood in between them, like a deer caught in headlights, shaking with anxiety.

“Minji-ah,” Joon said in an undertone. She looked at him.

“Minji,” Seungho said as well. She turned her head to look at him.

“You have to pick,” Joon said in a low voice.

“This can’t go on,” Seungho agreed. “It’s either me or him.”

Undecided, Minji stared at the ground, biting her lip. She could feel the two men boring holes into her with their stares.

Then, in a moment of panic, she wretched her wrists free, and dashed towards the door. She made it out the door and into the elevator before the two guys caught on, hurridly following her out.

Minji didn’t have time, so she pressed the button for Floor 1 and waited nervously, wrapping her arms around herself.

Joon and Seungho fought each other as they jumped down flights of stairs, clawing at the other, trying to gain the upper hand.

The elevator stopped at the ground floor, and Minji sped out, running into the street. Spotting the guys exiting the building, she quickly boarded a bus headed her way. Seeing them searching for her, Minji finally allowed herself to collapse on an empty seat, relieved.

She blindly found her way to the agency and stumbled through the halls, winding up outside where she and Chundoong had talked that day it all started.

If only I just went to Seungho like I was supposed to. I should’ve never stopped to talk to Joon. It’s all his fault.

Stupid. You’re the one who decided to wait for Joon.

If only…

But Seungho can’t hate me…he said he liked me.

And Joon?

“Aish I don’t know!!” Minji stomped her feet angrily. She felt tears stream down her face and she wiped them away with the back of her hand.

“Something on your mind?”

Minji jumped at the voice, turning to find where it came from.

G.O. leaned casually on a lamp post, smiling at her.

“You okay?” he said, making his way to her.

She nodded, but felt his hand patting her back gently.

After a moment of silence, Minji spoke up.

“They wanted me to pick.”

It was so soft, G.O. wasn’t sure he had heard right.

Minji looked at him helplessly. “How can I pick? No matter what I do, someone’ll wind up getting hurt.”

G.O. just squeezed her arm.

“Let it cool down a bit,” he suggested. “They’re guys. They’ll sort it out between themselves eventually.”

“Eventually?”

“They’re close. And they won’t let this come between their relationship,” G.O. explained.

“But what if—“ Minji cut herself off and instead picked glumly at a tread on her shirt.

Minji started again, “I just don’t know who to pick…I mean, if I pick Seungho, won’t Joon feel betrayed? We’ve been friends for over fifteen years. Our parents still do things together.This could ruin our friendship.”

G.O. pondered her dilemma, then said, “Who do you like?”

Minji hesitated, then replied, “Seungho.”

G.O. raised an eyebrow. “You sure?” he asked jokingly.

Minji nodded. “I think so.”

G.O. laughed. “Then just pick Seungho.”

“But—“

“It’s the honest answer. If you truly like Seungho, then pick Seungho.  Joon’ll get over it like he did last time, and you’ll be back to being just as close as you were before.”

“Last time?”

G.O. tensed. He wasn’t supposed to tell…

“It’s nothing really…” he attempted to to smooth over. “Just…pretend I didn’t say that…”

Minji decided not to push the matter further, and accepted G.O.’s non-answer.

They sat silently again, Minji thinking hard about what she wants to do, and G.O. patiently giving her some space.

Finally, G.O. spoke up.

“You know…actually, I like Chundoong.”

Minji looked up curiously. “Really?”

G.O. nodded. “I didn’t want to believe it, but I really do.”

Minji smiled broadly. “I’m happy for you. Does he know?”

“Yeah…” G.O. sighed. “It was a bit awkward at first, but he accepted it.”

Minji frowned. “So does he like you back?”

G.O. looked down into his lap and shook his head.

“Actually, Chundoong likes…”

“…me,” Minji unhappily finished, feeling guilty.

G.O. smiled a little. “Yeah.”

“Don’t you hate me?” Minji asked sadly.

“No, not at all!” G.O. said, appalled. “Why would I hate you?”

Minji chewed the inside of her cheek.

“Sure, I’m a bit disappointed he doesn’t return my feelings, but I’m happy that he could accept me for who I am. Just being by his side is enough for me,” G.O. said. “I have no reason to hate you, since you haven’t done anything wrong.”

“Thanks,” Minji whispered as G.O. gave her a one-armed hug.

 

Minji woke to the sound of her phone ringing.

“Hullo?” she mumbled sleepily.

“Minji-ah,” the voice at the other end of the line greeted.

“Seungho?”

“Hey, can we meet? Just us two, at the park?” he asked.

Minji rubbed her eyes and suppressed a yawn. “Sure, when?”

“As it sounds like you just woke up, in an hour?”

Minji nodded, then realized he couldn’t see her nodding. “Er, yeah. I’ll be there.”

Seungho laughed nervously. “Okay, I’ll see you then!”

He hung up.

Minji dropped her phone on the ground and fell back into her pillow, lacking sleep after the eventful last night.

 

She woke with a jolt, 45 minutes later.

Holy crap. I’m late.

Minji rushed to the park to meet Seungho, finding him waiting patiently, if not a bit stiff.

“Sorry I’m late,” she puffed out. “I was really tired, and must have fallen asleep gain after you called…”

He smiled slightly. “It’s fine.”

They stood silently.

Seungho took a deep breath. “I just wanted to apologize for yesterday…It wasn’t fair of me to ask to to pick between us like that, and I want to say I’m sorry.”

Minji looked at the ground and bit her lip nervously.

“But I hope you know, Minji-ah,” Seungho took her chin and turned her face to him. “I really like you a lot. I know I can’t make you choose me, and I hope you know I’ll respect your decision. And whatever you choose, I’ll always be a good oppa to you.”

He smiled and let her go.

“Thanks,” she mumbled. Seungho took her hand, feeling her cold fingers.

“And one last thing,” he said, pulling out a small, carefully wrapped box. “I went to my parents’ house the other day, and my mother, wanted to give this to you.”

Minji took the package, getting an anxious, but elated feeling.

“You don’t have to accept it, but I wanted you to see the gesture. I know you haven’t met her yet, but I hope you know, my family likes you very much,” Seungho explained.

“Thanks,” she said again.

 

As Seungho watched Minji leave, he couldn’t help but think helplessly to himself, Omma, can I really give this to her? Will she accept my heart?

 

Minji walked all the way to the agency. Seungho-ah, what should I do? No matter what I do, someone will get hurt. How can I hurt you? Or Joon? Seungho-ah. I’m so sorry.

She couldn’t bring herself to open the box, afraid of its contents, so she stashed it in her bag for the time being.

In the midst of her inner turmoil, she bumped into a familiar face.

“Chundoong! I’m so sorry! Are you okay?”

Chundoong brushed off his front and laughed, “I’m fine. But what about you? You look terrible.”

Minji instinctively pulled her fingers through her hair once and straightened her shirt. “Really? I’m sorry.”

Chundoong suddenly grabbed her in a hug. “Why are you sorry? I’m just a little worried about you. Are the recent happenings bothering you?”

“I’m sorry I made you worry, Chundoong Oppa,” she cried softly into his shirt.

He chuckled, and lifted her face, only to find her lightly tear stained cheeks.

“Don’t cry, Minji-ah,” he cooed. “It’ll be alright.”

Minji just shook her head, and buried her face in his shirt again.

 

They found themselves sitting side by side in the courtyard, minutes later.

“I’m sorry to bother you with all my troubles,” Minji whispered.

“There you go again with the apologies,” Chundoong said teasingly. “What is there to apologize for?”

Minji stared at her lap.

“Minji-ah,” Chundoong said quietly. “Actually, there’s something I really wanted to tell you…”

Minji looked up.

“I think I…” Chundoong drifted off.

Minji anticipated the words to come.

He gathered his courage, then started again. “Minji-ah, I’ve fallen in love with you.”

 

Unknown to the two of them, G.O. had been standing at the entranceway, hearing every word they said.

He quickly blinked away the tears that were blurring his vision, and strode swiftly to their practice room. He shut the door forcefully, and scooted against the mirrored wall.

G.O. sat silently, listening to the faint tapping of shoes against the shiny, tile floor outside.

Click! Click! Click!

Finally, he let out a pained gasp, allowing the tears to flow out of the corners of his eyes. He bit his knee, trying to muffle the sounds of his whimpers, and wiped furiously at his eyes.

Don’t cry, G.O.! You’re the strong one! The level headed one! The reasonable one! You’re the mediator! And you never, NEVER lose your cool! Get yourself together, Jung G.O.!

His cries echoed around the room, as if to taunt him.

He can’t love her. He can’t love her. He only loves me. Me…

 

Minji looked up at Chundoong sadly.

“I’m so sorry,” she said quietly.

He forced a smile. “I knew you’d say that. Always apologizing for nothing.”

“I just…can’t,” Minji whispered.

Chundoong put his hand over hers. “You really like Seungho, don’t you?”

Minji nodded. She bent down to pull the box out of her bag.

Chundoong held it delicately. “You know what this is already.”

Minji nodded again. “But I’m afraid to open it.”

Chundoong squeezed her hand comfortingly. “I’ll always be here if you need me, Minji-ah. One day, far off into the future, I’d like another chance.” He smiled and linked his fingers with hers. “But for now, just rest comfortably by my side. If you need anything, just ask.”

He gave her a reassuring smile.

“Thank you,” Minji murmured. “You’ve all been so kind to me, and all I’ve done is be a burden.”

“Don’t worry,” Chundoong laughed. “You are our little dongsaeng after all.”

 

Minji sat in her bed, carefully examining the box. She’d put off opening it the whole day, trying to keep her mind off it. But she had to open it at some point, so here she was, half-excited, half-afraid.

Finally, she peeled off the tape and unbent the folds in the wrapping paper. Underneath the wrapping paper was a box generally used to hold earrings or…a ring.

Minji felt her heart beat faster as she held the ring box. She found the opening with her finger, and carefully pried it open.

 

Mir dragged his suitcase up the stairs. They should really get the elevator fixed.

He rang the doorbell impatiently, too lazy to open the door himself.

“I’m coming, I’m coming,” an annoyed voice said from inside.

Mir heard the lock being unfastened, the handle being turned, and came face to face with Seungho.

“Hyung-nim!” he greeted happily, going in for a hug.

Seungho patted Mir’s back affectionately, and then reached into the hallway to help the magnae with his bags. “Welcome home, Mireu.”

Mir collapsed on his bed, exhausted from the five hour trip back from his home town.

He dug  around in his bag and carefully pulled out a star necklace. The many faceted jade star glinted in the dim light. Mir admired its color and design, and thought to himself, when I give you to Minji, she’ll see my heart, and she’ll be sure to like me!

He smiled to himself, satisfied, and clicked off the bedside lamp.