Five

The Only Words Left to Say Are "I Love You"

 

Hyesung looked up at the sound of a light tap on her door.

“Hyesung! Whassuppp!” Yoseob busted out his English.

Hyesung chuckled, “Not much…you?”

“I’m doin’ good!”

“Nice,” Hyesung continued quizzing Yoseob’s Engrish. “Do you have any plans for today?”

This was apparently the extent of Yoseob’s knowledge on conversational English, as he mumbled a “Bwoh?”

Hyesung nearly doubled over with laughter, supporting herself on the edge of her desk. Yoseob pretended to be bummed at her reaction, but his eyes betrayed his smile, eventually laughing along with Hyesung.

“So,” Hyesung switched back to Korean, “How can I help you?”

“Well this new restaurant opened up last week, right? And I really want to try it out, so maybe you’d like to join me?” Yoseob blurted, just like he had rehearsed earlier.

Hyesung could just hear Minji’s voice in her head, Don’t make yourself too available! Otherwise he’ll think you’re easy!! Do you want to be perceived as easy? No. No you don’t. Don’t go to dinner!! Not yet! But Hyesung ignored Conscious-Minji, agreeing to the “date.”

As Yoseob left her building in smiles, Hyesung called up Minji immediately.

“Dudddde. Hyesunggg.”

“Yo yo…guess who’s got a date with Yoseob tonight??”

“Wha?!? What have I told you?” Minji scolded. “Don’t make yourself too available! He’s gonna think you’re easy!! Do you want him to think you’re easy? No. No you don’t.”

Hyesung sighed to herself. Real-Minji was exactly the same as Conscious-Minji.

“But, I am happy for you,” Minji said sheepishly. “Finally getting together with Yoseob.”

Hyesung smiled to herself. “It’s not technically a date.” She left the thought hanging, waiting for Minji to take the bait.

Minji followed through, hook, line, and sinker, as she broke under the desperation of wanting to be a part of Hyesung’s budding relationship.

“Gah. Okay, tell me everything that happened.”

 

Joon’s inner turmoil finally got the best of him.

Since their coffee date, Seungho was getting increasingly giddier. Joon, on the other hand, knowing Minji’s feelings about Seungho, only got increasingly bad-tempered. His bottled up angst eventually led to his lashing out at his leader-hyung during practice, for supposedly “delaying the formation changes,” “bumping into him,” and “looking bad.”

It was hard to put a damper on Seungho’s mood, though, as the elated leader decided it was time to confess properly to his “fake” girlfriend. He walked out of the practice room on cloud nine.

Joon, sensing the change in his hyung, approached him quickly.

“Hyung!” Joon called. “Wait up!”

Seungho turned back to face him.

Joon ran to meet Seungho, then panted, “Where are you going? We’re heading to the dorm.”

“I’m gonna meet someone, so you go on ahead without me,” Seungho smiled broadly.

“Minji?” Joon guessed. He suddenly felt sick to his stomach. He winced, which did not go unnoticed.

Seungho grinned, then saw Joon’s grimace. “You okay?”

Joon nodded, “I must be tired from the exercising.”

Seungho agreed. “Me too.” He remembered Joon’s comment. “ Do you think…the park would be a good place to meet?”

Just then, Joon knew what Seungho was planning. But he couldn’t let his hyung confess…then he’d have no chance. But wait…what chance? And why did he even care?

“Sure…there might be a lot of people at the park though, if you’re okay with that.”

Seungho grinned wider. “I’ll see you then.” He turned the corner, cellphone in hand.

Joon pressed his back to the wall and heard Seungho say “Minji, are you free? Yeah, can you meet me at Pyongmaeng Park in thirty minutes? Oh..Nice. So an hour then. Okay. See you!”

Joon quickly scurried away, but then turned back into the dark practice room.

She’s going to go to him soon. And then…it’ll all be over. Why should I care? It doesn’t matter. They can do whatever they want. Besides, I don’t even like her. Well, I did…a while ago. But not anymore! I promised Seungho…I can’t do this to them. I must be a good person. Yes. It’s not like I like her or anything…Yeah. I’ll be okay. It doesn’t matter if she goes to him. I don’t really care. It’s okay. It’s okay…

 

…No. It’s not okay. I can’t be okay with this.

 

“Lee Joon. What do you want?” Minji chirped into her phone.

“Where are you now?”

Minji, though slightly startled by his abruptness, answered, “At my agency. Why?”

“Stay there. I’ll be over in ten minutes. Don’t move.”

“But I’m supposed to meet Seung—“

Minji scoffed at his brusqueness, but could hear the urgency in his voice, so she resolved to wait to see what he wanted.

Like he said, Joon arrived in ten minutes. He ran into the agency building, searching wildly for Minji. They locked eyes and he swiftly strided over to her. Joon grasped her hand and pulled her into a dimly lit hallway before she could even say hi.

Minji smiled nervously. “So, what’s up?”

Joon just stared.

Minji tried again, “Um, I’m supposed to meet Seungho in 15 minutes, and the place we’re meeting is pretty far away, so if you have something to say, go for it!”

Joon grimaced at the mention of Seungho, but spoke.

“You…like Seungho-hyung.”

Minji was surprised at the straightforwardness of his statement, and looked up wide eyed at him.

Joon’s heart sank as she stood silently, not rebuking him. “Don’t you?!”

Minji stuttered. Then slowly nodded her head twice.

Joon scrunched up his nose, defeated at her response.

Just then, Minji felt her phone buzz in her pocket. “It’s Seungho.”

Joon waited for her to answer.

“Yeah, I’ll be over in a sec. We’re…stuck in traffic...Yeah, Joonie’s taking me. We ran into each other at the agency. Oh okay…”

She held the phone out to Joon, mouthing, “He wants to talk to you.”

Joon hesitantly said, “Hello?”

“Yeah, where are you guys now?”

“Um…we’re heading over….give us like 10 more minutes.”

He hung up the phone and looked at her. I’m going to be a good person.

“Let’s go.”

 

They finally made it to the park. While the car ride was uncomfortably silent, Minji loosened up a bit after arriving in the sunny outdoors.

They walked around, looking for Seungho. Eventually, they spotted him about 200 meters away. Minji started to walk towards him.

Joon made up his mind in that half second, and reached out and grabbed her wrist.

“Minji. Don’t go.”

 

She stopped in her tracks, but didn’t turn around.

Joon continued, “Don’t…go to Seungho now.”

Minji faced him as Joon slid his hand down to hold hers.

She smiled confusedly, “But he’s waiting for me.”

Joon took a deep breath. “I…I…I like you. Don’t leave me now.”

 

Seungho looked around for Minji and Joon, scanning the area. He twirled the bouquet nervously in his hands, tapping his foot now and then. He bit his lip, then chewed the inside of his cheek, then pursed his mouth, all the while darting his eyes around in search of the two.

And then he saw them, around 200 meters away.

He was about to call out to them, when he saw Joon take a step towards Minji, then lean down, and press his lips to hers.