Escaping From Torture

A Whole Lot of Ball Games

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDELybyZ4oU

"Heart Attack" - Demi Lovato (Sam Tsui & Chrissy Costanza of ATC)

 

The first part of the activity was to introduce yourselves and say a hobby that you liked to do. Leo kicked started the discussion first. Well, not because he wanted to, but he got pinpointed by Miss Lim as she thought he wasn’t listening to her.

‘Leo. Sleep.’ Leo said, coldly without looking up. His eyes were focused on his crossed feet. *Does sleeping actually count as a hobby?* You raised an eyebrow, finally looking up after being sure that most of the attention was not on you. You knew because most of the girls were giggling and whispering about how cool Leo was. Even the boys were envious of his cool trait.

‘Next, please.’ Miss Lim said, looking at N.

‘I’m N. I like reading.’ He smiled, making eye contact with you. You were caught by surprise, quickly looking away. *When was he in this class?* You thought, looking everywhere else except at N. You heard the girl beside you squeal.

‘N is interested in reading! He’s so intelligent!’ She complimented dreamily to her friend. Her friend agreed with her readily. *Yeah right, if I said that, all of you would be like 'what a nerd'.* You rolled your eyes slightly at how judgemental people can be.

You listened to everyone’s introduction and tried to remember their names. You felt that remembering their names were a form of respect. Besides, you would be in this class for another year or so.

It was soon your turn and you found everyone’s eyes on the girl who was labelled as a nerd.

‘Hi, I’m DanJae. Nice to meet you guys.’ You said, slightly bowing.

‘Your hobby?’ Miss Lim asked, reminding you to add on. You scrunched your face up thoughtfully. *Should I tell them about my basketball passion?* You shook your head and said something else.

‘I’m into photography.’ You said with a small smile. You weren’t lying though. You really have an interest in photography. It’s just that you didn’t do it that often. *Basketball is still at the top of my hobby and interest list.*

N looked at your thoughtfully. *How did this girl, who is interested in photography, manage to pass the ball with that much strength and is able to give advice about my shooting? Photography? Hmmm…* N tapped his chin, a little puzzled by the contradicting information he obtained.

The class didn’t comment or whisper much about what you said which was a relief. You didn’t like people being all judgemental towards you.

After introductions, it was time for breakfast. The empty circle the class made previously was now occupied with tables joined together. On the tables were some fried rice, kimchi, fish balls, biscuits, apple juice and some other snacks. You saw the others hurriedly approach the food table. However, you stayed in your seat. You were not as excited as the others as you already ate your pancakes at home. Besides, the food didn’t look too delicious. Well, to you that is.

You sighed and sunk into your seat. *When will this day end?* It was only the start and you wanted to go home already. You sat up again lazily to see Leo still in his seat, just opposite you. *Is he always an introvert?* You thought, a little curious. Your thoughts were interrupted when someone offered you a drink. You were surprised and thanked her. *It seems like this class is not as bad as I thought?* You were still uncertain, but you definitely hoped the class was not as terrible as you thought it was.

The rest of the morning was mostly ice breaker activities to get to know each other and other bonding games. You were quite distracted most of the time as you couldn’t help but notice N’s gaze on you. *Is he trying to drill a hole in my head?* You huffed, blowing your fringe up. The class was busy playing chariots. The class was split into 2 teams. You and N were on opposing teams. You sat at one end of the classroom, trying to hide from his gaze but failed even though N was sitting at the other side of the classroom. Although one was frustrated and the other was calm, both of you had thoughts there were repetitive.

*When will he stop staring at me?!*

*This girl is so interesting, how is she able to do that?*

--

After 2 hours of torturous ‘hide-and-seek’ game with N's gaze, you got out of the class quickly after Miss Lim dismissed the class.

‘Man, that N guy is really kind of weird.’ You muttered, after taking a deep breath. You were too preoccupied from getting away from N and finding a quiet spot that you bumped into someone.

‘Ouch!’ You yelped. You turned to see Leo. *Why do I keep bumping into him?* Leo continued walking without saying a word. You were about to roll your eyes when you heard Leo mutter a sorry under his breath when he walked past you. You raised your eyebrows. *That’s new.* You thought, trying to find a peaceful place to just take a breather.

You walked around the school and you went past the indoor basketball court. You walked past the entrance, but turned back to glance at the door. You were contemplating if you should enter. *It’s not like there’s someone inside right?* You convinced yourself before walking towards the door and pushed open it.

You looked inside. You were right. There wasn’t anyone. You sat in the seat that you sat on during the championship match. You heaved a sigh of relief. *This place is so tranquil. It’s even better since the place is related to basketball.* You smiled and sunk into your seat.

You were enjoying your time alone when you spotted a basketball at the opposite side of the court. It was at the front row of the seats. You looked around and made a face. *Did someone forget to return the basketball or they left their ball here?* You looked around, but there was no one around.

You were about to lie back into your seat when the sides of your mouth hitched up. *If I tried out the three point shooter that I saw N execute during the final match, no one would actually know right?* You nodded, smiling to yourself as you went over to the ball.

You positioned yourself at the three pointer line. *Hmmm… N did this and then this.* You visualised, before trying to execute it.

You twirled the ball in your hand. *DanJae, you can do this!* You put your arms in position before releasing the ball. You saw it move in the air and you heard the sound of the net.

Your eyes widened. You did it! The ball went into the hoop!

You shouted in joy and jumped around.

‘WOOOHOOOOO! I DID IT!’ You shouted and picked up the ball again to try and shoot, this time, most of your shots went into the hoop. *Now I can score 3 points in one shot!* You happily shot hoops from the three pointer line until lunch break was over.

You thought you were alone. Little did you know, there was someone looking at you quietly from a distance.