The Howl

A Whole Lot of Ball Games

 

You were on the way to the school gate after school, still sighing. Everyone ignored you and rushed to leave school while some were chatting in groups about random topics. You looked up and spotted three robust men right outside the school gates in white tank tops with a black hoodie to finish the look. Your eyes widened, spotting the wolf gang’s trademark on the back of the jacket one of the men was wearing. You hurried to hide behind a tall bush that was around the corner of the gate. *What are they doing here, near our school compound?!* You peeked out to find the leader of the three sternly bothering students streaming outside, scaring them. The other two were looking around, as if finding for something… or someone.

‘What’s with you creeping behind a bush?’ You turned and jumped up to see Leo’s face right beside yours. You coughed and took a step back.

‘Aren’t you supposed to be at basketball practice with the rest of VIXX?’ You asked, looking at him trying to identify what you were staring at.

‘Nope, I had to run some errands for my mum today.’ *If buying groceries count.* Leo thought, walking forward.

You quickly followed beside him so that you could maybe escape those three burly men. You tried to hide your face and keep a calm look when you walked past them, blending into the student population.

‘Aye, boy, have you seen this girl?’ A man shoved a picture in front of a male student just beside Leo. You glanced and saw that it was a picture of you without spectacles and you were in your street basketball get up. *, how did they know I studied here? Damn it.* You cursed, keeping your pace in sync with Leo such that he would block you.

‘Were you even listening to me?’ Leo said when you didn’t reply him. You just shrugged, looking back at the school gate when the both of you were a distance away from those three.

Leo turned back and narrowed his eyes. He noticed the three well-built men and frowned. *Why does she always get involved with this kind of people?* It didn’t help his worries that you were all zoned out the whole day. Although N stared at you the whole time, he didn’t notice your out-of-sorts behaviour. He only took in your features, dreaming and wondering about you. N was just that oblivious sometimes.

Leo shook his head. He decided to follow you home to make sure you were safe.

 

Of course, you didn’t allow it.

‘Stop being a parasite so don’t follow me.’ You made a face, quickly boarding the bus before Leo could say anything.

Leo shook his head as the bus left the bus stop. He obviously won’t be able to have a peace mind unless you were home safe. Leo swiped out his phone and dialled for his chauffeur to pick him up.

Commuters were pushing you as the bus was packed like sardines. You ignored them, removing your spectacles. The thoughts that occupied you the whole time earlier was now replaced with the ones that were about the three men. You sighed. What did they want with you? You didn’t want to go back to that life again. You wanted to start anew. Why couldn’t they just leave you alone? Maybe the thing about street basketball is that you can never fully cut ties with them.

---

You looked into your full-length mirror. *Just this one more time.* You picked up your hoodie that was lying on your bed.

After much consideration, you decided to confront them yourself. You thought of the people in school, the students and the teachers. You couldn’t let them get hurt, especially when the gang was sure that you studied in that school. Who knows what lengths they would go to get you. Being in their pack, you knew they would go as far as hurting others physically and you were darn sure you didn’t want innocent people to get injured because of you.

You put on your jacket with the hood on before clasping your black mask over your mouth. You clenched your fist and narrowed your eyes. You were going to set things straight once and for all.

---

Leo smiled when he saw you walk into the lift. Yes, he told his driver to drop him off near your place and he waited at your lift lobby and left only when you stepped into the lift.

He walked out of his hiding place and headed towards the parking lot nearby where his chauffeur was waiting.

‘Rock your body, body ~’ He swiped out his phone to answer the call as he took his seat in the car.

‘Hyung! We are extending practice today so if you can still make it later, join us!’ Hyuk informed, before ending the call when Leo replied with a soft ‘ok.’

He checked his messages and there were two messages. One was an advert asking him to enter a lucky draw to win tickets to a concert while the other was his mother telling him to buy some milk from the supermarket too. He replied and told Mr Jung to drive him to the nearest grocery shop.

It was evening, close to night and you walked down the aisle that was the border between the eagle clan and wolf gang. You thought of the day you saw Eagle girl here and you sighed. She was probably in a better place now.

You stepped into the wolf gang territory. The streets were filled with people going towards the heart of the area – the howl. *Seems like there’s a match tonight.* You thought, following the crowd.

The Howl was exactly like you remembered. The spectator seats that were just huge steps facing the basketball court. The court was in a U-shape, resembling a skate park. When it was broad daylight, skaters would use the Howl to skate but when the night comes, it becomes a basketball court.

Each side of the U had a basketball hoop right at the top. The huge steps were already filled with lot of people, placing bets on which basket baller would win.

You looked around. *No sign of alpha male.* You turned, ready to head to the practice court of the wolf pack.

Just as you turned around, you were face to face with bet collector, James.

‘Well well well, who have we got here.’ You made a face. He snorted in response.

‘What brings Fire Wolf here? Oh wait, you are not wolf ball anymore, are you?’ He laughed hysterically. You rolled your eyes. You absolutely hated people like him.

You continued your way, ignoring him. He placed his hand on your shoulder when you were about to walk past him.

‘Why not just stick around and play a game or two eh? Let’s see if you have still got that in you.’ He smirked, offering a challenge.

You smirked. *Of course I still have that in me. Just wait.*

---

Leo wandered around the area. *Hmmm, never been in this area before at night.* He was chilling and exploring the outskirts of town since he needed some alone time after spending the entire day in school and at home with his mother.

He walked out of a mini mart with a can of root beer and looked for a place to settle down. He decided on going to the skate park since he could look at skaters’ skate, which wasn’t a bad idea. He headed to that direction, wondering why everyone was running to the area.

‘Fire Wolf is back in the turf. She’s playing tonight at the Howl.’ One guy jogged up to the guy beside Leo. *Fire Wolf? Wolf… sounds real familiar.* He followed the crowd, walking faster to keep up with their pace.

‘So this is the Howl?’ Leo muttered, looking at the skate park. He never knew this was called the Howl. He surveyed the rowdy people sitting on huge steps that overlooked the court.

Leo found a spot that was away from the noisy crowd, shouting their bets to someone who recorded them down.

‘Lad, your bet?’ An oversized male with a snapback and huge chain accessories turned his memo to the next page.

‘What bet?’ Leo asked, sipping on his root beer.

‘You are new around here, aren’t you? Never seen you before.’ The male gave him a small pat on the back. Leo raised his eyebrows. Well, he wasn’t exactly new since he comes here during daylight.

‘At Howl, you place bets on basketball games that are held here. You know what’s the beautiful thing? Basketball here is street basketball, so there are no rules.’ He smirked, chuckling slightly as he thought of the previous night’s match when Icy Python broke his legs against Claw. It’s not as if Pythons had legs to begin with. Leo gave an awkward smile. This guy seemed pretty interesting to him. *I didn’t know there were U-shaped courts.* Leo gulped down another mouthful of his drink.

‘Tonight’s match is Fire Wolf against Tiger Amos. Since you are new, I will let you off the hook if you don’t want to place a bet. But next time, you have to place a bet or I will have to chase you out.’ He winked, moving on to the next audience a distance away from Leo.

---

You took a deep breath. It’s been a while since you participated in a street basketball match. Street basketball was a whole new ball game. You remembered when alpha male made you join your first street match. Although you were trained for the street basketball scene, being in the match itself was different from training. You flinched slightly at the memory of your broken arm and black eye, which made you go on hiatus for a month to recover. It was that brutal. Worse still, if it were a death ball match, the match would not end till one of them was dead. Yeap, now you know why this kind of stuff was illegal in the eyes of the law or the norm. Thankfully for you, you improved and didn’t suffer any more brutal injuries, which led to your reputation in the street basketball scene. You earned quite a bit of money too due to getting 16% of the profits made from bets if you won the match. Until now, you had never played a death ball match before and you hoped that you wouldn’t ever need to.

‘Let the games begin.’ James signaled or you to head up. You stood up and headed towards the U-shaped court. You saw that Tiger Amos was already up there and the crowd had a mixture of jeering and cheering. Some were shouting your name and some were shouting the opponent’s name. It was difficult to make out who had more supporters.

‘Long time no see, my friend.’ Tiger smirked. You rolled your eyes. You wanted to get this over and done with. From your last match with Tiger, it didn’t seem like he was your match. James hurled the ball into the air before scrambling to get off the court. He sure didn’t want to get injured.

Both of you jumped in unison but Tiger managed to get the ball and kicked off the side of the U shape and scored with a dunk. A mixture of jeering and cheering was heard. He landed on the flat ground upright. You made a face. *Show off.*

‘This time I will kick your real hard.’ Tiger threatened as you dribbled the ball. You dribbled it swiftly between your legs. You bounced the ball backwards, catching him off guard. The ball hit the side of the U shape and bounced up. You jumped up into the air. Tiger followed suit but you caught the ball and dunked it into the hoop.

‘Mr Cat, you are not the only one who can dunk so shove those hands up your please.’ You scoffed. Tiger narrowed his eyes. *Oopsie, seems like I provoked the wild cat.* You smirked, feeling a little victorious as you heard your supporters cheering you on.

Tiger dribbled the ball, going past you. He threw his ball up so that he could catch and dunk it but you jumped up, stepping on his knee to allow you to jump higher. That was obviously an illegal move but who cares man, street basketball allowed these kind of moves. Tiger fell onto the ground as you dunk yet again into the hoop.

---

‘It was a pleasure playing against you.’ You said, before leaving the court. *This will show you where you stand.*

‘PAY UP GUYS, PAY UP!’ James shouted to the spectators. Groans were heard. He gave money to those to bet on you winning before giving you a standard percentage of the profit he made.

‘Seems like you still have it in you aye. You should come by and play more often.’ He slapped the notes into your hands. You pushed it away. Although you accepted the money when you were in the scene, you were now a changed person.

‘Keep that money. I don’t want it.’ You replied before swiftly going to your next destination – The Canine, the practice ground for the Wolf gang.

 

===

A/N:

Hello ~

I have a new story up! It's a one shot ~

Please support!

The Cure ---> http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/936227/the-cure-hoya-infinite-oneshot

Thank you and have a great day ahead :D