Breathless

A Whole Lot of Ball Games

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsgDctwzKlI

Bangtan Boys (BTS) - No More Dream

 

The week passed by quickly, but something was off, really off. You actually felt a little uncomfortable. Ever since the day you interacted with N, whenever VIXX or N was in your vicinity, you would always make eye contact with N. It wasn't intentional. When you looked around, the eye contact with N would just happen if he was nearby. It was awkward and every time that happens, you and N would quickly dodge each other’s gaze. Even if VIXX was surrounded by fan girls, N still managed to find you in the midst of all the chaos. It was so uncomfortable to the point that you felt that it was suffocating and had to escape his gaze by going somewhere else. *This is such a burden.* You thought, as you quickly finished your food and exited the canteen to take a breather.

‘N Hyung! Hyunggggg. ~’ Hongbin nudged N after much calling his name a few times and still didn’t get any response. N turned to him and shot him a look. He had to look away from you as you walked out of the canteen. *This girl is so interesting that I want to know more about her. The more I look at her, the more I feel that there’s something really unique about her.*

‘Later we are going to the school library to study.’ Ravi informed. N nodded in response.

Hyuk leaned towards Leo and whispered into his ear, making sure N didn’t hear it.

‘Don’t you think Hyung is spacing out a lot these days?’

Leo just kept a straight face without replying.

‘Hyung, can you at least give some response? Telling you makes no difference.’ Hyuk made a face.

Leo rolled his eyes. *But Hyuk is right though. Captain N has been really distracted lately. Let's hope it doesn't affect the match later this week.*

‘Ken Hyung, why do you think N Hyung is so into his own world lately?’ Hyuk pointed at N discreetly. Ken was making was moving his hands, as if he was moving chess pieces.

‘What do you think about the idea of changing the formation to the basic triangle tactic?’ Ken asked, cocking his head to one side. Hyuk shook his head. *This Hyung is all about basketball.*

Hyuk was true about that. Ken thought of nothing else except for things related to basketball. It was like his life. His dream was to be a top-notch coach. The sad fact is that most of the time, he was the bench player but he didn’t mind since he was in-charge of creating new tactics which was really important for the team. Besides, it was a good training platform for him to achieve his dream.

*Where is Ravi when you need him?* Hyuk pouted. He needed someone to entertain him since none of his Hyungs really interacted with him.

Friday came and it was the day of the final match. If the VIXX boys won this match, TaeKwan High would be crowned the champion for the season.

This time, the match was held in TaeKwan High.

The whole indoor basketball court was filled with supporters, both from KwanYeo Sports School and TaeKwan High. Supporters brought balloon clappers and cheered loudly, anticipating for the big game to commence.

Back in the team’s locker room, VIXX was getting nervous as time went by. They knew that KwanYeo Sports School was not an ordinary team. They were actually worthy opponents. In the previous season, the team lost to them just by one point during the last few seconds which allowed VIXX to win the championship.

‘Guys, so is there anymore questions?’ Ken asked, after going through the tactic he was going to use for this game. VIXX nodded.

‘Then let’s do this thing.’ Leo said, exiting out the room with the rest of VIXX behind him

--

‘Oh shoot shoot! Sodium hydroxide! I’m going to be late.’ You screamed, rushing out of your house. You wanted to take a nap before the game started since school ended early on Fridays.

‘GAHHHH, where’s my phone?!’ You searched your bag to find it in your pocket.

‘Choi DanJae! Was it that important to have that extra 5 minutes of sleep?! Your 5 minutes became 20 minutes!’ You scolded yourself.

*Quickly, quickly!* You tapped your watch as the bus reached the stop. The moment you got off, you ran swiftly to the basketball court. You wouldn’t want to miss the first match ever held in the TaeKwan High. Aside from that, you never missed any of the matches since the start of this year’s season.

You rushed in to see both basketball teams doing their warm ups. You slowed down to catch your breath. *It seems like I made it in time.* You took a seat where you sat on the other day and took out your banner which wrote: ‘VIXX FIGHTING! TAEKWAN HIGH FIGHTING! BASKETBALL FIGHTING!’ You smiled at the words you wrote and started cheering.

For this match, the announcers were from your school since TaeKwan High was the host for this event. The two males were discussing about the players.

‘Now that we have learned more about KwanYeo Sports School players, it’s time to get to know more about TaeKwan High players.’

‘Yes, these players are really special. They don’t have a coach to train them, but a member of the basketball team is as good as a coach. However, I heard they do have coaches who come in once ever few months.’

‘Oh , really? Who’s the member?’

‘He’s Ken, the one in jersey number 10 of the VIXX team. He is the bench player, but his tactics are quite successful. Some say it’s because he knows his teammates well enough to allocate the correct tactics.

‘Next we have N, the team’s captain. He is the shooting guard of the team.’

‘Number 11 is Leo, the one who gained a lot of attention in this season due to his perfect rebounds.’

‘Jersey number 9 is point guard, Ravi. He was the one who created a special pass that only he can do it, the legendary Rough-v pass.’

‘Let’s hope that we can see this pass later in the game.’

‘Yes, that would be exciting. Next up is player number 8, Hongbin. He is the small forward of VIXX.’

‘Last but not least, the power forward of VIXX, Hyuk. Hyuk is the number 7 player and he is the best in defence for the group.’

The whistle sounded right after the announcer introduced Hyuk. You rubbed your hands and screamed. *VIXX, you can do this.*

As expected, the first ball was converted by N.

‘Woohooo! N!’ You cheered. You stopped since it was kind of weird because of the eye contact incidents. You shrugged and got your attention back into the game when Hongbin passes the ball to Leo but the ball got intercepted by number 11 player from the opposite team. The other school cheered loudly while TaeKwan High gave a sigh.

‘It seems like the battle between the Kwan’s are really tight.’

‘Be it KwanYeo or TaeKwan, their scores are so close together.’ You looked at the scoreboard. TaeKwan was off by only 4 points.

The first half was exciting with KwanYeo getting a foul for blocking N’s ball when they were not supposed to.

‘You guys alright?’ Ken asked, as he passed them the towels. They nodded, gulping down water from their water bottles.

‘Man, this is tiring.’ Hyuk complained, wiping his sweat.

‘What do you expect? They are from a sports school. Naturally, they have more stamina.’ Ravi replied, after swallowing a huge mouthful of water.

Ken leaned in towards VIXX and looked at their opponent.

‘Okay, for later, Hongbin and N, you guys change positions, but N still score most of the balls.’ The two nodded.

‘Leo, later, you jump ball as usual.’ Leo gave a thumbs up.

You looked intently at VIXX at the bench after looking at the opponents. *Damn, they are already so exhausted compared to the KwanYeo players. Hopefully, VIXX has enough strength later.* You hoped that VIXX would win the championship. You reviewed the moves and tried to imitate a little from your seat. ‘Hmmm, Hongbin’s pass was good. His hands were at the front and then…’ Your whisper died down when you noticed that the girl beside you shot you a there-is-something-wrong-with-you look. You faked a cough and gave her an awkward smile.

The second half started not long ago but it was already going to end. You looked at the number on the electronic score board rising. It was intense that you forgot to breathe for a moment. *, there’s only about 20 seconds left. Come on you guys only need 2 more points!* You cheered louder.

‘We are down to the last 20 seconds and VIXX is still behind by 1 point.’

‘Oh! Leo passed the ball towards Ravi.’ You narrowed your eyes.

‘Ravi looks around, but oh no, Hongbin and the rest were all blocked. N is so far away from him!

‘He can only pass to him though.’ You bit your nails in nervousness as you hear the announcers report the actions of the players. You saw Ravi turn 360 degrees and executed his special pass. Your eye widened. *Is that the legendary pass?* Your doubts were confirmed when the ball managed to reach N. The crowd cheered loudly as the announcers exclaimed in shock.

N looked intently at the rim. *This is it. I have to get this ball in. If not I, as well as VIXX, can kiss goodbye to the victory.* He looked at his spot. This was the 45 degree angle shot he couldn’t get right. Your voice suddenly echoed in his mind.

‘You need to lean your body slightly to your left and the ball will go right into the hoop.’

You looked at N. *Hurry up! There’s only 10 seconds left.* You noticed he hesitated. You realised it was the spot he was practicing the other day. *N, you can do it!* You cheered silently.

N took a deep breath. *Here goes. Her method better work.* He dribbled the ball. 5 seconds was gone. VIXX looked intently at him. *Come on, Captain. Victory is so close already.* N swung his arm and tilted his body slightly to the left. The ball was released and it danced around the rim of the hoop.

Everyone was holding their breath.

2 seconds were left and at the last second, the ball went in the hoop. Everyone cheered, even the opponent’s supporters, they were impressed by the skills that VIXX displayed.

VIXX hugged each other and jumped around.

‘Wow, this is the most exciting match for the season! We got to witness Ravi’s Rough-v pass and Leo’s splendid rebounds.’

N looked at the spot you were at on the day he met you and he was surprised to see you. You were jumping in joy, waving your banner and fist pumping the air. N chuckled. *Thanks for the advice.* He smiled, before joining the group who were busy kissing their trophy.