Closer (To The Real You)

Request Challenge

Requested by anon on Tumblr | Jongtae; Fabulously gay Jonghyun lures out shyly closested Taemin through embarrassing wooing.


After coming to the same coffee shop for the past two years, being a famous act at the cafe's weekly Friday night open mic night, Jonghyun has come to know most of the regular faces and employees. That's why he's surprised to find a pretty little blond head sticking out behind the counter of the shop, a newer addition to the staff he guesses. The boy has caught his attention, too, and he supposes that he'll have to change his usual gay anthem lineup just a bit and play something extra special for the new face.

Humming, he proceeds to greet the usual crowd – Kibum, a boy as open about his uality as he himself, Minho – Kibum's straight best friend, Jinki – another performer, and a few others that he considers himself acquaintances with, but has yet to learn their names.

The commotion must have gained the boy's attention, because Jonghyun feels an extra gaze upon him as he receive his own greetings – some only friendly smiles, and others greeting by name as Jonghyun sets his guitar case down in a booth and turns his attention to the beauty, striding over to order his usual coffee, but with a twist.

He leans across the counter, grin lighting up his face and flexing the muscles in his arms just right as he sizes up the boy – Taemin, as the brand new name tag reads. Jonghyun can tell as the boy forces himself to avert his eyes and a rosy tint colors his round cheeks that the boy is so far in the closet that it'll take some time to break him out of his shell, but Jonghyun is willing to wait. If he's as good at reading this boy as he his with other people, then the pretty little thing should be his by the end of the night.

“Hey,” he greets, voice friendly but with a flirty edge, eyebrows lifting slightly. He doesn't miss how the boy shifts uncomfortably under Jonghyun's gaze. In the background, Kibum snickers, knowing exactly what the performer is up to.

“Hi,” Taemin squeaks, swallowing before stating more professionally, “Can I get you something, sir?”

Jonghyun thinks the boy's effort to resist his obvious attraction is adorable, but he wonders what makes such a creature like him so reluctant to act on his true feelings. Most likely, someone shoving their sick religion and the speculation that he'll go to hell down his throat.

 

Jonghyun shifts his gaze from the boy's angelic face to the menu, tutting as he mulls over his choices. After a moment, he hums, returning his eyes to the boy. Smiling, he speaks, “Just a plain black coffee, sweetheart.”

Taemin gapes for a moment before snapping his jaw shut and clearing his throat, hiding his flustered expression behind the register as he rings up the order and tells him that it's a dollar and fifty cents. Jonghyun makes sure to give him the exact change before the boy runs off to fix his order.

After receiving the steaming coffee, he leaves the boy alone and goes to the make-shift stage in the corner of the shop – a simple stool and microphone. He sets his coffee on a table next to him before taking the guitar from its case, making sure to bend enough so that the muscles beneath his shirt ripple. The embarrassed squeak, covered by a cough, is enough to satisfy him.

Then he's sitting on the stool, tuning his guitar for a moment, before clearing his throat and gaining the attention of everyone in the cafe.

“Hi, everyone. Most of you know me, but for those of you that don't, I'm Kim Jonghyun, resident gay man and rights activist. Nice to meet you all.” he says, and chuckles wash through the cafe, a light air filling the room.

“Now, tonight, I had my usual planned, but there will be a bit of a twist tonight. This set is dedicated to a special someone, who I don't know all that well yet, but would like to by the end of the night.”

The room goes quiet, and everyone is looking at him with an expectant expression. Jonghyun grins, shifting his eyes to the nervous looking blond behind the counter.

“Taemin, this is a nice warm welcome for you.”

Before the boy can respond in any way, he begins to strum the instrument in hand, humming into the microphone.

Then he begins to sing – lyrics hinting and starting out solemnly.

 

This unrequited love
To me it's nothing but
A one-man cult
And cyanide in my styrofoam cup
I could never make him love me
Never make him love me
No, no

His voice belts out the lyrics, singing with his heart and soul, making the song his and intertwining it with his own emotions – making it real. It's all about being tied down by your religion, and judging by the way Taemin tugs his bottom lip between his teeth, it hits the nail on the head.


It's a bad religion
To be in love with someone
Who could never love you
Only bad
Only bad religion
Could have me feeling the way I do

He finishes off more softly than he began, and then the melody he's playing changes, leading into another song.

Forrest Gump
My fingertips, and my lips, they burn
From the cigarettes
Forrest Gump you run my mind boy
Running on my mind boy
Forrest Gump

This song, Jonghyun relates to well. He's been with a boy before – one that is insignificant now – that taught him the ropes of his uality. It didn't last long, though, and the man ran away with his tail tucked between his legs.



 



Forrest green
Forrest blues
I re-mem-ber you
If this is love, I know it's true
I won't for-get you (you)
(You you, oh you you) It's for you Forrest
(You you, oh you you) It's for you Forrest
Forrest Gump


The man had been his first love, and he won't forget it, despite the lack of significance now. However, maybe he could be the pretty boy's first. Teach the boy the ropes and break him out of his shell. He glances up at the boy as he once again changes the melody, grinning at the wide eyed boy.

 


And I can't change
Even if I tried
Even if I wanted to
My love
My love
My love
She keeps me warm
She keeps me warm
She keeps me warm
She keeps me warm

No matter how much Taemin would probably deny it, Jonghyun can see right through him. The boy is slowly cracking, listening to the words being sung to him, and hopefully letting go of his facade. The rest of the audience listens with open ears, immersed in the performance.

Love is patient
Love is kind
Love is patient
Love is kind
(not crying on Sundays)

 

And then, the melody turns to a faster pace, and a flirty smile graces Jonghyun's lips, and he belts out proudly and unabashedly.


And never did I think that I
Would be caught in the way you got me
Push another girl aside and just give in

He belts the words, voice ringing through the air and the upbeat melody washing through the crowd. Kibum begins to bob in his seat, and even the usually quiet audience members light up at his change in tone. Across the cafe, Taemin watches with an unreadable expression.

Girls love girls and boys (sophisticated, manipulated)
Girls love girls and boys (sophisticated, manipulated)
And never did I think that I
Would be caught in the way you got me
But girls love girls and boys
And love is not a choice

Jonghyun stands from his position on the stool and begins walking, forgetting about the microphone. He sings anyways, voice resonating just fine without the help. It's clear where he's heading, and the boy shies away as Jonghyun approaches, melody once again shifting but remaining upbeat.

All I want to get is a little bit closer
All I want to know is, can you come a little closer?

Taemin ducks away as Jonghyun hops the counter, sitting on the edge and using his legs to wrap around the boy's waist, pulling him closer. The boy resists, but not for long as murmurs and laughs sound in the cafe. His face is a brilliant red, and Jonghyun can barely risist the urge to pinch his adorable cheeks.

Here come the dreams of you and me
Here come the dreams
Here come the dreams of you and me
Here come the dreams

Taemin resorts to covering his face with his hands, as if that will hide him from the knowing stare Jonghyun is giving him, and the curious ones of the onlookers. Jonghyun continues to sing, using a foot to calmingly caress the boy's leg. He can't have the boy fainting from embarrassment.

It's not just all physical
I'm the type who won't get oh so critical
So let's make things physical
I won't treat you like you're oh so typical

Giving in, either out of exasperation or just trying to hide from the world, Taemin slumps against Jonghyun. The performer can feel the boy shaking against him, and maybe he has gone too far. He finishes the song with one last strum of the chords and an adibbed 'yeah' before glancing back to give a grin of thanks and tugging the boy from behind the counter and to the bathroom as he feels moisture begin to soak his t-shirt.

When they reach the one-stall restroom, the boy shoves him off and gives a watery, scared glare.

“Who the hell do you think you are? I don't want your sick homouality. I don't – I don't want it-” Taemin chokes out the words, and Jonghyun sighs, setting his guitar down and approaching the confused boy. Unfortunately, the boy doesn't even let him get close, and Jonghyun knows it would just be best to leave. So, he does.

….

It's Friday, and he's back at the cafe. This time, though, without his guitar. Instead, he holds a slip of paper in his hand – an apology poem. However, as he enters the coffee shop, he barely gets to eye the crowd inside before a hand is wrapped around his wrist and tugging him right back out.

It's Taemin, and he looks much livelier than the week before.

The boy tugs him to the side of the cafe, away from observing eyes, and opens his mouth to speak before Jonghyun even gets the chance to ask what's going on, a determined expression on his face, but still flushing red.

“Okay, okay. So – hi, I'm Lee Taemin, resident catholic and confused kid. You're Kim Jonghyun, resident gay man, and – can you sing again? It helps. It makes me feel okay, even if it hurt before. I still don't know how I feel, but – I really like your voice, and maybe even you.”

Jonghyun grins, this time giving into his urge to pinch the cheeks. “Sure, kid. What would you like to hear?”

 

“The – the last one.”

Jonghyun can't help the laugh that escapes his lips, shaking his head disbelievingly. “You're bolder than I thought. But, if you say so.”

It's not just all physical
I'm the type who won't get oh so critical
So let's make things physical
I won't treat you like you're oh so typical
I won't treat you like you're oh so typical


And before the boy even has the decency to flush even harder than before, Jonghyun grabs the boy's wrists gently in his hands and flips them so that the blond is pressed against the building, eyes wide and shocked as lips press against his own, washing the last of the doubt away. 


A/N: This probably isn't what you wanted, but for some reason I had a hard time with this prompt. I'm sorry, I hope you still like it anyways. x.x