Cold

You Are My Sanity

Cold. Kyungsoo thought. 

The feeling of the sharp, broken beer bottle pieces contrasted with the burning feeling of swollen bruises against his delicate hands. As if picking up pieces of his own shattered heart, he gently left them in a pile on the wooden coffee table, careful not to clash the glass against each other. When Kyungsoo picked up the largest piece, his bruised hands, unable to take the light weight, gave in and Kyungsoo watched in horror as the glass fell against the pile with large "KLINK", shattering other pieces along with the silence in the house. 

        "Ughhh...." Kyungsoo's nightmare, his father as one would call it, began to stir in his sleep while unhygienically scratching his beer belly and rolling to his side. 

        Trembling at the thought of the woken beast, Kyungsoo stiffened and held his breath while clamping his teeth together. His father, being an afternoon person, would give him another beating if woken up before 1 o'clock . Kyungsoo cringed at the thought of having another confrontation with the baseball bat. 

          Assuming the coast was clear, Kyungsoo let out a large sigh that echoed throughout the small house. Kyungsoo hastily stood up, eager to get away from being in the same space as the sleeping dragon, but that proved to be a bad choice and he began to lose his balance. His body, being in so much pain, could no longer support his weight and Kyungsoo fell right on his with a loud BOOM that had the old house thundering from the sudden force. Kyungsoo was too busy trying to rub the pain on his away to notice that a certain someone had their eyes open, while it was only 9 in the morning. As soon as the man noticed the time, his uncontrollable temper took over and shot up with hands fisted into a threatening ball. 

          "Kyungsoo. What time is it." As Kyungsoo heard the disgusting voice dripping with threat, his eyes went wide, wider than it already was, and he gulped as his mouth went dry with fear. 

         "N-nine o'clock...." Kyungsoo's voice faded as he could no longer find it in him to talk without breaking into a pile of tears, begging for forgiveness. But he knew he couldn't do that. Because if he did, his father would kick him out, just like he kicked out his mother. Because Kyungsoo's father doesn't allow beggars in the house. 

        "Then why am I awake. IS THAT HEAD OF YOURS TOO SHRIVELED UP IN YOUR WORLD THAT YOU DISRESPECT YOUR FATHER'S WORDS? YOU PIECE OF SCUM. YOU'RE JUST LUCKY THAT I LET YOU STAY AND DIDN'T KICK YOU OUT OF HERE LIKE I DID TO YOUR MOTHER." 

        Unable to hide his miserable pain any longer, Kyungsoo broke down and shouted back at his father, words breaking as he sobbed from all the tears.

        "WELL I WISH YOU KICKED MY OUT WITH MY MOTHER!" His father's eyes widened at the words and send a bone-breaking kick to Kyungsoo's stomach. 

        "WHAT DID YOU SAY, YOU LITTLE PUNK. HOW DARE YOU!" Kyungsoo continued to sob uncontrollably as he could do nothing but submissively take the attacks being sent by the old man. 

         ----------

        Broken. Kyungsoo thought as he looked at his multiple reflections against the glass pieces. A perfect representation of his life as long as he could remember. After taking 11 years of continuous beatings from his father, Kyungsoo wondered why he hasn't left like his mother did. 

       Oh, he thought. His mother didn't leave, she was kicked out when he was 5. And Kyungsoo had to stay, then and now because he had nowhere else to go.

       After his father's morning tantrum, he had left with his "buddies" and was told that he'd be back in a few hours. WIth the newfound peace in the house, Kyungsoo finally had the time to think in peace. But the peace soon turned frightening, as the thought of having to live with an abusive beast invaded his thoughts, leaving him panicked and breathing heavily with fear and anger all mixing into a large demon settling at the bottom of his stomach. After 11 years of taking all this harrassment, Kyungsoo wondered why no one came for him. And the realization hit him hard, as he thought of the secret mumbles about him at school, the "accidental" trips and spilling of water. He had blinded himself, thinking that school can be his escape.

       But no.

       It was clear that no one wanted him, and no one wanted to be friends with a boy who trembled everytime a person got close. Or with a boy who large hoodies and masks everyday. Because he was just....scum. As the self depricating demon began to eat and claw away at his breaking soul, Kyungsoo smiled, losing all rational thought. 

        "Haha....hahahaha.....HAHAHAHA" Kyungsoo began to laugh at his pitiful life. His life couldn't get any worse, and it obviously wasn't getting any better. How could it? He had no escape. He had no comfort. He had no love. With the demon rapidly eating him inside out, and forcing its way into his pores and ripping apart any ounce of his already-decaying rationality he had left - he snapped. As the doorbell rang, Kyungsoo sanpped his head to the door, for a moment, tears prickling in his eyes with fear that it was his father. But as the demon began to reach his innermost thoughts and soul, he realized - he has nothing to cry for. He was nothing. But he could be something. But it was all his father. It was all that old head's fault that he was restricted with no friends and no love. He was the problem. Kyungsoo smiled a mad smile as his hands s over to one of the large glass pieces on the floor. 

        If he can't fix his problem, why doesn't he just get rid of it? 

       With a sick, new determination in mind Kyungsoo picked his swollen body off the floor and headed for the door. With each step getting bolder, his body became painless at the thought of getting rid of the disgusting, ugly drunkard that left his body and mind in shambles everyday. As he slowly opened the door, the fire in his eyes became clear and he squeezed his hand against the edges glass, not caring if it cut him as well. Because if it meant having some love in his life, he wouldn't mind losing a couple drops of blood. He raised the glass and swung the door open, all too prepared to meet that old man's disgusting, drunk face in front of him. But as he met the deep, large brown eyes staring down at him with a large smile and a basket of cookies, he realized -

       Oh, was he so wrong.