Chapter 9

Playing With Our Hearts (

The week went by in a blur. Something I'm immensely thankful for, for two reasons. Jessica went on vacation to Washington for some family thing, and tomorrow is Amber's birthday. Plus, my mother hasn't left her bedroom since the fight, and its been really weird alone with my Aunt. Not in a bad way, just in a wow-it's-really-quiet-when-people-aren't-arguing way. I did tell Aunt Lily about Amber's birthday, and she said she thought it'd be fine if I went out. Which is why she's in my bedroom at 10:00 at night.

"Maybe peach is your color?" Aunt Lily asked from my bed, watching as I browse through my closet looking for the perfect outfit.

"It's pretty, but I only have a peach tank top and its suppose to be chilly tomorrow." I sighed. I held up a blue sweater and turned around, but after a shake from Lily's head, I swiftly placed it back. "I don't even know why I'm trying so hard, or care for that matter. Don't girls usually just throw something on when they go out?"

"Hmm, not usually. I've never cared about my appearance, but your dad would always date the girls that did." I stopped browsing my clothes to listen to my aunt. "I'm not going to lie, I was a looker without even trying, so when he'd bring girls home, they'd always have on make-up and be dressed up. Of course, I felt like it was to make a good impression and impress your dad, but the girls he dated always wanted to feel like they looked their best. Even if it meant taking an hour or so to get ready. Exhibit A; your mother." We both laughed at that, and I decided to take a break from looking for an outfit. I flung myself beside my Aunt on my bed, and just looked at her. You could easily tell that she was, in fact, gorgeous in her younger years.

"Do you miss dad?" I asked cautiously. She looked at me gingerly before hugging me close to her.

"Of course I do. I always do. Your mother does too, you know. He was an amazing person, and it would be really hard to not miss him." A moment of silence passed before she spoke again. "You know I love you, right? And as much as I dislike her, I'm pretty sure your mother loves you too. It's horrible what you've had to go through, but your not alone. You can come visit me whenev-" Lily was interrupted by the sound I never thought I'd hate to hear. Knocking on my balcony door. 

"Please don't be mad." I whispered as I pulled away from her. Aunt Lily gave me a pointed look, and I could feel her eyes watching me as I moved to the door. My stomach was twisting and churning inside me, and I'm pretty sure I was breaking out in a cold sweat. I knew Amber was coming over, and I knew it was wrong to have her over. Gosh, why am I so stupid?

I unlocked the door and opened it up, revealing exactly what I expected. Amber stood there, black sweatpants and t-shirt, messy/cute blonde hair and all. She looked from me to my Aunt, then back again. Suddenly, she started to laugh, and entered my room nonchalantly.

"Guess we're caught." Amber sighed and sat down on the end of my bed. I watched Lily carefully, making sure she wouldn't flip out.

"Honestly, you were caught the first night I stayed here. I mean, c'mon Blair. Can't you keep quiet?" Aunt Lily laughed and I immediately felt better. I joined Amber at the end of my bed, and tugged on her shirt. She turned around and accidentally brushed my arm with hers. I felt my face light up like a torch, and I looked away. Since when did I react like this?

"Um, what time tomorrow?" I asked shyly, looking at my pile of clothes like they're the most interesting thing in the room.

"Oh, I'm not sure. I know we'll probably grab lunch together and won't be back till later that night." She replied cooly.

"Woah woah woah. Is Amber planning her own birthday activities? Blair, your the friend! Why aren't you planning anything?" Lily chimed in. She had a point though. Why wasn't I planning?

"Amber I coul-"

"No. They whole point of it being my birthday is that I can do what I want. It just so happens I'm dragging you around with me." Amber threw an arm around my shoulders and smiled at me. I mean, with her eye all half-moons, how can I not smile back?

"Aw, cute!" My Aunt squealed from behind us. I chucked a pillow at her while Amber practically rolled on the floor laughing.

After Amber left and I was about to pass out, my Aunt stopped before she walked out. "Blair?" She asked. I don't know why, but her facial expression looked sincere yet almost painful.

"Hmm?" I watched as she looked at me, my balcony door, then to me. 

"Never mind." And with that, she left. Weird.



"Ready?" Amber asked as I pulled open the front door. It was, in fact, lunch time and I was starving.

"Yeah, just let me put on my shoes..." I had let Amber in enough for her to know to close the door behind her when I just walk away. She followed me up the stairs and into my room.

"Did a tornado come through here or something?" She asked incredulously as we entered my room. Because I didn't really get a chance to pick an outfit last night, I spent the whole morning trying to figure out what to wear. I ended up settling with a a striped sweater and black skinny jeans. After all that trouble.

"Something like that." I said, lacing up my converse. "Okay, let's go."

We practically ran downstairs and out the door, almost missing my Aunt telling us to have a good time. Amber dragged me over to her house and we went to the back where the garage was. I saw one Mercedes and one-

"Oh no." I said trying to back away. Amber quickly grabbed my sleeve and pulled my forward.

"Oh yes." Before me was pretty much a death trap. Sleek, black, two wheels. A freaking motorcycle. 

"Okay, now I kind of have this fear of dying a painful death so..."

"If your really scared, you don't have to get on." Amber turned towards me, helmet in hand. I was biting my lip again, but this was a life or death situation. 

"Fine." I grumbled, snatching the helmet out of her hands. She gave me a heart-stopping smile and climbed on. "Where are we even going?" 

"L.A."



A/N SURPRISE!!!!!!! Surprise chapter update for my 400 reads!! I love you all sooooo much!! Comment, up vote, and please continue to support my lazy self :) 

Saranghae~