Chapter 13

Playing With Our Hearts (

It had been three weeks, five days, and approximately 18 hours since I was last with Amber. Well, alone that is. I hadn't seen her outside of school since the day my mom was in the hospital, and I can say I haven't been taking her absence too lightly. 

I haven't been able to see Amber for so long simply due to my homophobic mother. She came home a few days after being admitted, and has had her eye on me ever since. Everyday I come home to a page full of chores or groceries that need to be handled. I honestly can't seem to get a break. My Aunt seems a little awkward around me too nowadays, even though I have no clue why. Sure, she saw me and Amber almost kiss (and possibly the actual one too) but, I mean, she 'rolls that way' too. Maybe it was my lack of explaining? Or the fact I haven't explained anything at all? Yeah... that could potentially be it. 

All in all, I just miss how I could be around Amber, no problem. Now, I can't even see her when we come home or on the weekends. Sure, school is okay and we have lunch together, but it's not the same. We still can't do everything we want to. If I could just figure out a way to get her alone without my mom knowing, that would be perfect.

"Make sure to put up the dishes when you're done." My mother instructed from the breakfast bar. I rolled my eyes and wiped off my hands, pressing the start button on the dishwasher. "I will." 

"Blair! Why don't you take a break? I think I can handle things down here." I glanced incredulously at my aunt as she walked into the kitchen, taking a seat by my mother. Oh if looks could kill.

"Um, are you sure? I finished all my homework and I still have some chores to do-" 

"Yeah! Go ahead and take some down time! Minnie and I have this covered!" She chirped. I suspiciously set down my cleaning rag and nodded, making my way upstairs. I hadn't had "down time" since my mom had come up with this "Blair cannot have a social life" idea. Sighing, I opened up my door and stepped in, ready to feel the sheets on my bed and just take an extra long nap. 

Before  I even fully closed the door, I felt a hand clamp against my mouth. My stomach immediately dropped and I began to panic. I could practically feel my eyes bulging out of my head.Someone was in my ing room. I was about to scream when-

"Shut up, Xiǎo xióngmāo. I'm trying to save you here." An all too familiar voice whispered in my ear. My stomach clenched again, but this time for a different reason. When the hand removed itself from my mouth, I turned around quickly to be met by deep brown eyes and blonde hair. 

"Amber!" 

"Shh! Geez, it was kind of hard sneaking in here you know!" But I really didn't care. I wrapped my arms around her neck and smiled as hers found my waist. I inhaled deeply, smiling at our closeness and the scent I've missed for so long. 

"I missed you, Llama." I mumbled into her shoulder. I felt her vibrate against me as she let out a low chuckle.

"I missed  you too." 

We stayed like that for a few minutes, just holding on to each other, before I noticed something. "Amber, how the hell did you get in?" I questioned. I always make sure to lock my balcony door. Always. 

Amber smiled wickedly, and it sent butterflies erupting from my stomach to the back of my throat. "Your wonderful Aunt let me in." 

Aunt Lily. Of course. I'd have to seriously thank her later. "So what's up?" 

"Nothing much. I was just coming to ask if you want some lunch." She said, a sly smile crossing her features. As much as I wanted to, we both knew I couldn't.

"Amber I-"

"Yeah, yeah, I know. But guess who I ran into?" 

"Who...?" I asked warily. Before she had a chance to answer, I heard the doorbell ring. Even though she was right there, I heard my mom call for me to answer it. "Stay." I instructed. Amber sent me a wink before I closed my bedroom door and rushed down the stairs. I passed the kitchen on my way to the door, and saw my mom and aunt talking quietly. I didn't even want to know.

When I pulled the front door open, I was a little more than shocked to see Hunter standing outside in the fall/winter air. He was dressed in a navy blue pea coat with a red scarf wrapped around his neck, a black shirt barely visible underneath, and black skinny jeans. At the sound of the door opening, he had lifted his head, and his eyes seemed more prominently blue, and cheeks more flushed.

"Oh, hi, Hunter." I smiled at the (obviously freezing) boy in front of me. His lips curled up a little to return my smile, and stepped forward into my house when I had moved out of the way.

"Hi, Blair. So, um, I was won-"

"Blair, whose at the door?" Hunter was cut off by my mother, who decided to walk in looking way more pitiful than necessary. She didn't even walk in, really, more like hobbled. 

"Mom, this is a friend of mine, Hunter. He works at the deli down the road." I replied, monotonous. I just wasn't in the mood to play games, in all honestly.

"Oh! How sweet honey! I didn't know you had a guy friend. What can we help you with, Hunter?" I had to refrain from cringing at my mother's sickly-sweet tone. I wondered if she had always been like this; fake in public and horrid at home? How could I have possibly been so blind?

"Nothing really, Ms. Abrams. I was just going to ask Blair if she wanted to go and have lunch with me." I whipped my head over to Hunter, shocked to see his cheeks flushed a deeper color than before. I glanced back and forth between my mom and Hunter for the next few seconds, still trying to comprehend what was happening. My mom looked thrilled, and Hunter seemed to have found a fascination with his shoes.

"Um, sorry Hunter, but-"

"She'd love to!"  I widened my eyes at my mom, who looked to be on the verge of literally jumping for joy. If looks could kill... "Blair! Why don't you go up and get you coat, then you guys can get going?" I nodded in her direction, then headed back up stairs. When I got into my room, I expected to see my blonde Llama sitting on my bed playing with my pandas. Instead, I didn't see her anywhere. I tried to move past the upsetting feeling in my chest and go and get my coat, and was startled again when a note fell off my normal coat. I picked up the pink paper and read: 
Xiǎo xióngmāo,
Please forgive me for the misleading (but probably really funny) situation I put you in. I'm waiting at the deli for you and Hunter. Hurry up so I can eat! I smell the sandwiches now! 
<3   Llama

When I finished the note, I shoved it in my coat pocket, and slipped it on, dashing out my room and down the stairs. I was in such a good mood, I even kissed my mom on the cheek as well as my Aunt.

"Be back later!" I called as Hunter and I left. My heart was thumping loudly and my stomach was flopping all over the place at the thought of being almost-alone with Amber.

"So I'm guessing you found the note?" Hunter asked in his usual quiet tone, falling into step beside me.

"You think?"


A/N

And here's that super y update that I kept promising and never posting. I'm so sorry you guys! I've been a huge procrastinator since I got the Tumblr app. I'm not even going to say it's school, because now I'm procrastinating on that too. 
I hope this wasn't too bad... I was going to write more because I haven't updated in the past 3 million years, but I was kind of suffering from writers block...
Comments are loved!!! <3 
LOVE YOU MY LOVLIES!!!!