Chapter 4

Playing With Our Hearts (

"What are we doing today?" Amber asked for the billionth time. She had been sitting on her window sill for the past hour doing nothing but talking. I came out to water my flowers, and she was just there. It was a pleasant surprise, but after last night, we both knew I was acting awkward.

"I don't know, Amber. What do you want to do?" I asked, closing the book I was pretending to read.

"I don't know... I can't think if I'm hungry." She groaned. I glanced up to see her patting her stomach, looking at me, pouting her bottom lip. I looked down at my watch, 12:54. My mom was at work, and quite frankly, I was bored as hell.

"I guess we could go and get something to eat..." I trailed off, waiting for her reaction. Amber pumped her fist and let out a loud 'Woohoo!'. I smiled, glad to see things were going back to normal.

"Where do you want to go?" I asked as she jumped over onto my balcony. She looked at me incredulously.
"Blair, I just moved here. My parents aren't big on going out either, so I'm new to the restaurants here." 

"In all honesty... your not missing anything. There's a deli a few blocks away, close enough so we could eat in the park." I suggested. Amber nodded her head and entered my bedroom. 

"If we're walking, be better go now... or else I just might die from starvation." She grinned, letting me go ahead of her downstairs. 

"Whatever. One less hassle for me." I joked. She placed a hand over her heart in mock offense, and smiled. I got that weird feeling in my stomach again. Great.
 


I walked Amber through the park, moving to my favorite spot under a tree, right beside a small pond. "Is this okay?" I asked, sitting down slowly waiting for her answer. She only nodded, and took a seat beside me, already consuming a chicken wrap. I carefully unwrapped my tuna-salad sandwich, slowly taking two small bites. 

"Why are you eating like that?" Amber questioned, gazing at me with a mouth full of food.

"Like what? And don't talk with your mouth full, Amber." I handed her a napkin while she swallowed. She gratefully took it, and wiped around .

"Like... nibbling at it?" I looked down at my sandwich. Had I? I didn't even notice.

"Oh. Sorry, I just have this thing.... I usually don't like eating in front of people, so I take small bites. It's kind of become a habit now, I guess, when I eat outside of home." I continued to stare at the object in my hand, waiting for Amber to laugh or something. Instead I felt a hand on my chin, moving my head to face the blonde. When I was making eye contact with her, she moved to poke my head.

"Don't feel like that around me. Be yourself. I like that Blair better, from what I've seen of her." She kept gazing at me, causing my face to flush from embarrassment, and her comment. 

"Alright." I said quietly, sticking my tongue out at her to lighten the mood. I finished the rest of my sandwich relatively quickly, much to the amusement of Amber, and we ended up laying in the grass beneath the tree. Cliche... I'm aware.

"So, we've been hanging out a lot, and I barely know anything about you. Like, the basics." I heard Amber say.

"Well, okay. Ask me stuff." 

"Hmm, what's your favorite animal?"

"Panda." I answered quickly. "Yours?"

"Llama, I guess. Everyone says I look like one... in the best way of course." I busted out laughing at that. I felt her shift, and then she was propped up on her elbow looking down at me. "What?" 

I reached up and poked her forehead, still giggling. "I can see the family resemblance." 

"Shut up!" Amber laughed. 

"Okay, so what do you want to do when you get out of school. Like, in general." I asked.

"Well, I guess have a nice family and good career, something with music maybe. I've never really thought about it..." I nodded, and bit my lip. She looked down at me intently. "What about you?" 

I could feel my lip begin to swell a little as I chewed on it. "I want a nice family too, and to open a little shop up. I like to draw and write, so I'm deciding whether or not to open up an art store, or just write chick lit." 

"Wow, a girl with a plan." Amber nodded approvingly, smiling down at my explanation. 

"I try." I said, smiling up at her. 

"I didn't know you wrote." 

"Just, like, one shots. Fluffy stuff usually. Cliche and super sweet is usually the writing style." 
"You should make one with me in it." She said, winking down at me. I laughed, and nodded.

"Sure, later on in life." I reached up to poke her head again, but she caught my wrist.

"I feel like that's our thing now." My cheeks flushed at 'our thing' and the butterflies came back. 

"I'd like that." I said quietly. Amber cocked an eyebrow and smirked, letting go of my wrist.

"C'mon, better get you home. It's already.... jeez 3:30 on the dot. Almost time for dinner."

"Yeah? Well, tough. My mom should be home the regular time tonight, which is five." I explained, letting Amber pull me up.
"Really? Damn, I thought I could keep you a little longer." Amber smirked, throwing an arm around my shoulder. I tensed at the new action, but quickly relaxed, successfully poking her forehead.

"Only in your dreams, Liu." 
 


A/N Sorry I haven't updated and that this chapter is short!!  Just a little filler while I try to figure out how to get the plot going.... again, sorry!! :( I'll update as much as possible, I promise. So just hang in there!! ( ^-^)ノ∠※。.:*:・'°☆