Chapter 8

Playing With Our Hearts (

I woke up a little warmer than I usually am, and a little more cramped. My eyelids fluttered open, only to be met with the bright red numbers on my alarm clock; 5:45 in the morning. Ugh. I went to sit up and stretch, when I realised and that an arm was wrapped around my waist and there was a foreign breath on my neck. After a moment of panic, last night's memories came flooding back. I guess Amber never left. The thought gave me a sense of comfort as I tried to fall back asleep, desperately trying to move back into her. Suddenly, right before I could drift off, a thought came to me. It was Monday. 

"Amber." I whispered, trying to nudge my elbow back. I felt her stir behind me and I tried to poke her again. I might of put too much into it.

"Ow!" She grumbled, immediately letting go of me and rolling on her back. "Geez, what was that for Blair?" 

I flipped over to see her. "I'm sorry! I didn't mean too! Are you okay?" I whispered carefully. I could barely see her in the bluish darkness of my room, but I could feel her smiling at me.

"Yeah, I'm fine. What's up with the wake-up?" 

"Nothing, it's just... Monday and, you know, school." I answered sheepishly. I made out forming into an 'O'  and Amber slowly sat up. 

"I guess I should go and get ready then... are you okay? Do you hurt?" She asked gingerly. I shook my head and sat up, following her to my balcony door.

"I'm feeling better this morning, but thank you. I'll see you at school?" I asked, watching her climb through her windowsill.

"Like always." She smiled and rolled her eyes before going into her room. I smiled after her before turning to go to my own room. Just another day in hell.


My mother wasn't downstairs when I left to go to school. My aunt, however, sat at the breakfast table, coffee in hands, and wished me a good day. I didn't ask any questions, and I didn't look around for my mother. We shared a simple look, then I smiled and wished her one also. My walk to school was quiet too. Without Amber waiting at the end of the drive to walk with me, I felt alone. Like everyone was watching me. So I kept my head down and pretended to be playing on my phone, trying to be as unnoticeable as possible. Key word, trying.

"Hey, Butch! Where's your girlfriend this morning?" A voice called behind me. I didn't need to turn around to tell it was Jessica. 

""Probably dumped her after seeing how much of a she is." I heard someone, probably Gretchen, shout. After the comment, it was relatively quiet. My mind, however, was buzzing with possibilities of what they might do. I was so focused on my thoughts, I didn't even hear the girls catch up.

"You better answer me when I'm ing talking to you, lesbian." I was spun around by the collar of my shirt, forcefully coming face-to-face with Jessica.

"Please let go of my-" A slap to my face cut me off. My right cheek began to sting, and I felt tears rush to my eyes. I glanced behind Jessica to see Gretchen, Faith, and Luna all snickering behind her. Shamelessly, I looked down at the pavement as she brought me closer.

"You're so disgusting. You have no right to live." An abrupt pain shot through me as a fist collided with my stomach. I doubled over as black dots clouded my vision, hit the ground violently as Jessica let go, and I watched as the four pairs of feet scurried away. I clutched my stomach desperately, like that would make everything better.

"Hey, are you okay?" I glanced up at the voice from my spot on the sidewalk. A boy, probably about my age, asked, kneeling down to me. He had light brown hair that almost reached dull blue eyes, and skin that was so fair, he looked like he wasn't real. As mystical as his appearance, something about his voice rang a bell in my head.
"Y-Yeah, I'm fine. Thanks though." I managed, slowly getting up. I winced when I stood, but faked a reassuring smile.

"Are you sure? I mean, I saw everything... you looked like you took that hit pretty hard." He asked, eyes showing a little concern. I nodded my head encouragingly, and picked up my bag that I, at some point, had dropped. "Okay," he continued cautiously, like all of his courage was dwindling. "I'm Hunter, by the way." 

"I'm Blair." I said, feeling more and more socially awkward by the second. I watched as Hunter bent his head down so you couldn't really see his face. Something about how he did that reminded me of... Oh. Now I remember. "You're the cashier at the deli, right?" 

"Yeah, that's me. I saw you come in the other day with-"

"Amber. That's her name." I cut in, sending a smile his way. He still had his head down but I picked up on the small smile that formed.

"Yeah." After a few moments of silence, I decided to take my leave. 

"Hey, I have to go to school but maybe I'll see you around?" He glanced back at me and nodded.

"Bye, Blair."

"See you, Hunter."


I made it to class just before the bell rang that morning. The confrontation with Jessica and Hunter delayed my usual perfect timing. Amber questioned why I took so long, but I promised I'd tell her at lunch. The one thing I couldn't get over, was how Hunter kind of lighted up at the mention of Amber. Maybe he liked her? Then again, I shouldn't be assuming anything about him, seeing how we just met. But still, he might. I think they might make a cute couple... but I still don't know about Amber's uality-

"So what happened this morning?" Amber asked, sliding beside me on the bench. I moved my gaze from the tree to her and gave a smile. Maybe I should help him out if he does?

"I ran into that boy who works at the deli. We were just talking for a bit, is all." I watched as she took a bite out of her sandwich, nodding. "His name is Hunter, you know." Chew. Nod. Chew."He's really cute."

At that, Amber looked over at me, stopping in mid chew. I saw her visibly gulp down the over-sized bite she took, which was clearly not ready to be swallowed.

"Is he?" She asked, eyes not leaving mine. "I didn't get a good look at him at the deli."

"Yeah he's, um... Yeah he's cute." I answered finally. I'm not used to playing match-maker and I don't think I really like how much I'm failing.

"Seems shy."

"Very." 

"Actually, I think antisocial is a good word."

"You never know." 

"He never looked up from the cash register."

"Most people find that cute."

"Most. Not all."

"Why are you being so difficult?"

"Why are you trying to hook me up with a boy I don't know?" Now she was glaring. Okay, so maybe I was being a little pushy. I honestly don't know why I'm trying to talk Hunter up. I did just meet him this morning.

"Ugh, I don't know! He just seemed like he liked you and... I don't know. I'm being stupid." I huffed, placing my chin in my hands.

"Yes, you're being very stupid right now." I heard her chuckle. Suddenly I was pulled into Amber's side with her arm secure over my shoulder. I looked up at her and stuck my tongue out, causing her to laugh more. From my position on her side, I could feel the sound vibrating around in her. That alone was enough to make me smile.

"What're you doing this weekend?" She asked after her laughing fit. 

"Nothing that I know of. But if you're wanting to go somewhere, I don't really think it's the right ti-"

"It's my birthday. September 18th." She cut me off.

"Oh?" I pulled away and looked over at her. Amber was naturally beautiful, I realised that the first day I saw her. But now, shaded by the leaves from the trees, blonde hair turning a blackish brown at the roots, looking at me like I'm of importance, she really looks like a goddess. "I-I'll see what I'm doing." I answered as the bell, signalling the end of lunch, rang, my eyes never leaving her. Amber gave me that smile, the eye- crinkling-butterflies-in-my-stomach smile.

"Okay, but you better be available."



A/N Okay!! Surprise update! I'm so sorry I haven't been updating like I should, but here one is! Let me know in the comments how much you love/hate it, and I'll see what I can do. 
Also, I'd like to share that this story now has..... *drum roll* 400 reads!!! You guys, this means that... people are actually reading it... oh God. So, I apologize for any grammatical errors there are, and THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING BECAUSE OH MY GOD 400 IS ALMOST 1/10000 OF THE POPULATION AND PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT COMPARISON BECAUSE IT WAS PROBABLY WAY OFF OH MY GOD I LOVE YOU

(*≧∀≦*)