Chapter 5

Playing With Our Hearts (

Amber had gotten me home at a decent 4:50, just in time for me to grab a shower and change before my mom got home. During the time in the shower, also known as my best time of thinking, my thoughts drifted over to Amber. After today, I'm so freaking confused. I have no idea how I feel about Amber, and that's scaring me. I've never been in a relationship before, and no one ever expressed any feelings to me. And, of course, here comes Amber being all close and feeling-y. It could just be that I'm reacting to her in a positive way because no one's ever been close to me...right? Well, no one other than my ex-stepdad, and I don't think I wanna go down that road again.

After I was dressed in my plaid pajama pants and black t-shirt, I heard the front door unlock. "Blair, I'm home!" 

I rushed down stairs to see my mom with her hands full of groceries. "Need any help?" I asked, already grabbing some bags. The ones I had grabbed were full of ramen and microwave meals.

"Thanks. Is it okay if you eat noodles for dinner? I don't feel like cooking." I nodded at her. It only took a few minutes to get all the groceries placed in the pantry and my noodles cooked. My mom decided to cook hers on the stove, and she was leaning against the cabinets, waiting or the water to boil.

"So, how's your friend? Amber, was it?" She asked, eying me carefully. I chewed the soft noodles before answering.

"Yeah, she's good." 

"Has she come over anymore?" 

"No." I answered, probably too quickly. My mother was acting way too weird right now.

"She has an, um, interesting fashion sense." 

"I guess. I never really noticed." I had now stopped eating, and was looking back at my mom. We stared at each other for a little while, before we both noticed her pot overflowing. She muttered a '' before turning the burner down and moved the pot. She poured the water into the cup of ramen and closed the lid. While she was cleaning, I decided I could make a quick exit, and dumped the rest of my ramen in the trash. Right before I could exit the kitchen, my mom called out for me. "Blair, tell me about her."

"Mom." I warned. An obvious mistake, judging by the harsh glare I received, but I didn't care. I don't know why, but I was really mad at her now.

"I just wanted to know. So what did you do today?" She asked, an air of suspicion in her voice.

"Nothing much." I answered warily. 

"I got a call from Helen, the manager of the 'Lockhart Deli'. She said you came in today with a girl she hadn't seen before." I felt my stomach flip, because I knew my mom wasn't done. "She was curious about what you were doing with a stranger, so she followed you two to the park. Said you both acted a little.... questionably." 

"I don't understand." I could feel my palms start to sweat, as mother leaned against the breakfast bar. "Yeah, we went out to get some lunch together, but we weren't acting strangely."

"Okay, I was just asking. Plus I've never met any of your friends before, and all of a sudden one ends up on my doorstep? Just thought it was a little strange." 

I nodded, understanding the strangeness of it all. I'd never really had a friend, and then Amber just shows up. I could see how it's abnormal. I turned to leave before my mom stopped me again.

"And your Aunt is coming tomorrow." 

"Aunt Lily? From dads side of the family?" She nodded. I said okay before jogging up the stairs to my room. I let out a sigh of relief as I closed my bedroom door, sliding down onto the floor. I felt sick to my stomach... my mother hadn't acted like that in a while. So.... accusingly. Not to mention, Aunt Lily was coming tomorrow. Was that woman crazy? Her and my mother.... God this is going to be a hell of a week.

A tapping from my balcony door snapped me out of my thoughts. I looked over to see Amber standing on the other side of the glass. I got up, a smile slowly spreading over my face, and unlocked the door.

"Hey." She said quietly, smiling so her eyes were crinkled. 

"Hi." I said, stepping aside to let her in. She walked over and took a seat on my bed, and I took a moment to appreciate how she looked. Amber must've just taken a shower because her hair was damp and matted to her head. She was sporting grey sweatpants and a crimson t-shirt. I took a seat beside her and she playfully hit my shoulder when I did. 

"So, I was wondering if... Like, maybe we could do something tomorrow?" Amber asked. I smiled down at my lap and was about to reply, when a thought creeped back into my mind.

"I'm sorry, I can't... my Aunt Lily is coming tomorrow and I kind of have to be here, for my mom's sake." 

"Why?" 

"Well, my aunt is, well, openly lesbian and my mom isn't a fan of... the gay community. She's one of those people..." I said, slightly ashamed.

"Oh." was all Amber said for a little while. "So why does your Aunt come then?" 

"Because she's the only living relative of my father." I cleared my throat, trying to sound more emotionless. I've told this a hundred times, so why is now any different? "He passed away when I was seven, and we were really close. I was also close to my aunt when I was little, so after his passing she started visiting me more. No matter what my mom had to say about it." I smiled at the last part. Aunt Lily had always been persistent and hard-headed. 

"So, could I just come over tomorrow then?" Amber asked.

"Probably not. I just got done talking to my mom. I'm pretty sure she thinks we're dating or something. Turns out that a lady from the deli followed us to the park and called my mom,  claiming we were acting 'questionably'." 

"Well...." She slowly draped an arm over my shoulder, a smirk present on . I began to laugh, but quickly covered my mouth, remembering my mother was downstairs. 

"Seriously?" I asked, grinning like crazy and trying hard not to laugh. She smiled and removed her arm. I almost missed the feeling of comfort it brought to me, and was about to bring it back over my shoulder, but I restrained myself. Because that would've been extremely weird...yeah.

"I think you should get going." I said, poking Amber's forehead lightly. 

"I think you," She returned the poke, before getting up, "should get some sleep." 

"And I can't do that if you're here." I said playfully.

"Really? Am I that distracting?" 

"Go!" I said, beginning to laugh again. She gave me a final wink before going out to my balcony and jumping onto her window sill.


A/N

Yay! I updated! *dances* Sorry this took so long... I have no excuse except for my own procrastination and the seemingly endless EXO fanfics that keep updating. Sorry again, because I know this is a little short, but all my chapters are.... but please keep supporting me! O(≧∇≦)O

I'll try to update this weekend (tomorrow or Saturday) but don't hold anything on me... I have a 'New Story Updates!' mocking me right now... *le cries*

Oh, and one more thing... caN WE TALK ABOUT B.A.P I MEAN COME ON THAT WAS AN AWESOME COMEBACK not that I'm surprised...)

Dont forget to subscribe and comment below! I love you all!! Saranghae!!❤