Chapter 16

Playing With Our Hearts (

The 'make-up date' with Amber never really, well, happened. The day after Hunter came-out to me, I went over to Amber's house, explaining that an emergency had come up and that I was extremely sorry for missing our date. No matter how much I pouted or made faces, she just didn't seem like she would cheer up. After that day with a sulky Amber and nothing to do, we both just kind of... didn't have time for each other.

 

My mother, who had finally left her wheelchair, was set on making the house full of Christmas spirit. And who else better to help? Her totally able daughter of course! Aunt Lily was nice enough to help me put up decorations outside, and last week was filled with ornament hanging and meal planning. Christmas was now two days away, and what better place to be than the grocery store?

 

"Well, we need a turkey." My mother said, matter-of-factly. I glanced at Hunter, who I had persuaded to come with me in this dreadful mission, and rolled my eyes. Quietly, I leaned in and mouthed the next words I knew my mother was going to say. "Or should we do ham? Never mind, we'll do both."

 

Hunter chuckled as we followed behind my mother, watching as she scanned the 'Great Value' brand cans of corn and stuffing. "Why don't you two go get some eggnog? We could use some. Make sure to get a carton of alcoholic!"

 

I waved my mom off and grabbed Hunters arm, dragging him to the dairy section . "Or not." 

 

"I didn't think she was suppose to be drinking anyways?" Hunter asked as he linked our arms together. As we started hanging out more, I noticed more and more how Hunter was a touchy-feely kind of guy. Normally I would've slid my arm out of his grasp, awkwardly trying to brush him off, but now that I knew there was no way in heck he was interested in me, I let it slide. 

 

"She isn't. Do you really think that'll stop my mom?" I asked, glancing through the flavors. Hunter doesn't know me, what I've been through, or how my mom really is, but he's been around long enough to witness that she's a bit short-tempered and isn't quite fond of me.

 

"Absolutely. She is one of those wonderful women you just want to be your mother, and sort of look up too." Hunter said dramatically, grabbing a carton of eggnog with his unoccupied arm. I laughed out loud, using my hand as a cover for the loud noise. Hunter joined in, and we returned to my mother giggling like kids.

 

"What's gotten into you two?" She asked, raising an eyebrow. 

 

"Nothing." Hunter and I replied simultaneously. We both giggled, and my mom just shook her head, a ghost of a smile on her lips. She really hadn't been that much trouble lately. I can honestly say I'm grateful for the small smiles she keeps giving me and how she gives me a little more space. Sure, this could all be due to the fact that I haven't mentioned Amber and she hasn't made any surprise visits, but at least my mom and I were getting along. No matter how much I hate her, she's still my mom, and a part of me will always love her unconditionally.


 

"Come over tomorrow night? Jackie is coming and my parents would love to meet you. I also want you to meet them." Amber asked from her window sill above me. She was leaning out, her arms dangling out of her house, and I was leaning against my railing on the balcony. All I had to do was just reach out... she was so close to touch.

 

"I don't know.... I'm suppose to have Christmas Eve dinner here. My mom is usually really strict about these holiday things. If I can come up with some excuse, maybe I can wiggle my way out " I sighed, watching my breath fog in the cool air.

 

"Just say that you're going to meet Hunter." 

 

I glanced up at her. Ambers jaw was set, and she gazed down evenly at me. She'd been like that lately, a little distant and edgy. I noticed it immediately, but I've kept my mouth shut, worried that I may say something to upset her more than I already have. Just like normal, I avoided my gaze.

 

"What do you want for Christmas?"  I opted for a change in subject, hoping to move away from whatever was bugging her.

 

I heard a sigh from above me, and smiled. "I dunno. Snapback maybe? Or a trip to the local salon? My hair has seriously grown out."

 

"I think it's cute." I stuck out my tongue as she chuckled. Amber's hair had, indeed, gotten longer, but that just made the brown/black roots standout even more. 

 

"Yeah, whatever. What about you?" 

 

"Umm... A stuffed panda? I'm not sure either... I haven't really had time to think about it."

 

"How's the demonic mother?" I knew she asked it as a joke, but her words made my blood raise a little. No matter what that woman has put me through, she's still my mother. 'But Amber doesn't have to feel that way. She saw you in one of your lowest moments, caused by your mom. Of course she's going to hate her.' I reminded myself.

 

"She's... better. Not as bad lately. I haven't been screamed at in a couple of days, so I'm taking that as a good sign." I smiled up at her, and she smiled back. These were the moments I missed so much. The ones where it only seemed like us two in the world. The kind that made my heart flutter, and had my head spinn-

 

A noise from behind Amber broke our eye-contact. I saw the light in her room flicker on, and a voice calling her in.

 

"I'm coming, just one second." I puckered out my bottom lip when she turned around, already knowing she had to go in. "Sorry, babe, I've gotta go. See if you can meet me tomorrow night? If you can, I'll be at the park. If you can't, well..." She looked down at me, her eyes filled with mischief and something else. "Just try and come."


 

A/N:

LUB YOU ALL :D

 

*whispers* comment and vote please