New Start

The Wolf Curse

 


 
 
 
 
Ahra pulled her blanket and covered her head, her whole body hidden under the blanket from head to toe. Yesterday felt like a roller coaster ride for her. Her hair was in a mess and so her eyes felt heavy but she had spent the night organizing her mind before getting a good night sleep. She rubbed her eyes to fully woke herself up and put her yellow duck slippers on before stepping out of the room.
 
"AHRAAA!!!!!" 
 
Suddenly she found herself stuck in Tao's arm as he hugged her thightly. She  gasped as he squezeed her hard. 
"T.. Tao wait..." he tried to calm him down as she started finding it hard to move and breathe normally.
"Ahra Thank you !!!!!! I thought you wouldn't help us !!!!!! I love you so much!!!!" he shouted jumping up and down excitedly.
"Okay ,okay but just....." 
"Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!!!" he was too happy that he couldn't hear her squeak.
At that time, Luhan appeared from his room as he saw them. He saw Tao jumping like a rabbit and Ahra struggling hard to break free from him.
"Ya! What are you doing to her?" Luhan helped separate the two. Ahra put a hand on her chest and took a deep relieved breath. She hid behind Luhan asking for protection as she saw Tao sulked.
"I only hug her.." Tao pouted pointing at her.
"You look like you're going to kidnap and kill her.." Luhan laughed as Kai appeared behind Ahra and back hugged her.
"Oh my God!!!" Ahra shrieked. "What is so wrong with you all today?!!!" 
"Thank you.." he whispered shortly in her ears and caused her to shut her eyes  thight in shame.
"That's so unfair!! Kai can hug her ,why can't I?!!!" Tao protested and reached for her. Ahra felt like she was going to die with them hugging her.
Baekhyun and Chanyeol appeared from their bedroom to check what was going on outside. 
Suddely Luhan pointed his fingers and the two of them were separated were her. Ahra quickly escaped once she was free and immediately flee down the stairs when she bumped into D.O who was on his way up.
"Can you stop chasing her around like a mouse?" he stared at Tao who was running down the stairs. He turned around to face the terrified girl, "Kris hyung asked you to meet him downstairs, in the balcony." he smiled at her. Ahra unsurely went down and walked towards the balcony. Through the glass wall she could see him standing with his back on her. She let herself remain unnoticed before slowly pushing the glass door open. The turning sound of the handle got his attention as he turned around. 
 
"D.O said...." 
"Yes, I need to talk about something with you..." he cut her words before she could even finished her sentence. Kris' cold stare and his short sharp speech always made her nervous no matter how much she tried to think of something else as a distraction when talking face to face with him. She always felt cold chill ran down her spine just like now.
"You already heard it from Sehun right?" he sat on the bench and crossed his legs.  Ahra nodded her head as she followed him and carefully sat beside him.
He sighed, " You know this will not be easy ,this might even hurt you." She nodded her head again.
" When we first started I never thought it will end up this way. I thought our main concern and goal will only be to break the curse as soon as possible but I guess it's all starting to change." he paused. "It's weird how we start to look at you more than that. The boys are starting to grow closer to you now and we started to doubt ourselves on whether we should be selfish, continue the mission and in the end risk hurting you for our own good. I'm sorry for getting you involved so deep in this Ahra.. But after I heard what you said to Sehun yesterday, I just wanted to thank you. Thank you for helping us."
Ahra tried to take in his words and recalled how they started to take baby steps together to start their friendship. She had looked at them as not only friends but as her own family.
" These past few months had been a life changing experience for me. You all let me feel that I have a family, that there are actually people who care for me, that I'm not alone. This is the least that I can do to help. I know this won't be easy but I know I have to do this. I just need you all to stay and walk together with me.." The sincere smile painted on her face took away the stiffness in him. It wasn't easy for him to say the words but her words calmed him down and loosen up his tension.
 
"But if you don't mind .... can you do me a favour?" Ahra sat uneasily on her seat. He raised an eyebrow, confused but nodded his head, "Sure.."
" This... can you make Tao stop running after me around the house like that?" She pointed to the eager face pressed against the glass wall.
"What .." His eyes almost bulged out of his head as he saw what she was pointing at and he chuckled. Now it was Ahra who almost got a heart attack. It wasn't a large beaming laugh, it was a slightly soft chuckle which was hardly audible following his surprised expression but it was enough to shock her. Kris had mostly been the quiet charismatic style that rarely spoke, equipped with those two sharp eyes enough to scare anyone away. It was her first time seeing him do so and it was like she discovered a new and different side to him.
 
Kris opened the door with Ahra walking behind him, trying to keep a safe distance away from Tao.
"Stop it will you? Don't scare her away."  he pushed his shoulder with one hand as Ahra escaped to the living room. She sat beside the others who were busy watching the tv while waiting for her to finish her conversation with Kris.
"Ahra we won't let you do this alone.." Luhan who sat beside her tapped her hand softly and smiled.
"Thank you for being willing to help us.. We owe you alot." Suho who sat a few seats away leaned his head forward to see her.
Ahra nodded her head. "So I guess you all have different super powers? I know Luhan can move things around and Kai's power is teleportation. Can the rest of you show me?" she sit upright excitedly.
"Watch this." Suho started. He pointed an index finger to the glass on the table and suddenly water flew out from the glass and rotate in the air as he turned his finger around before returning them back. "My power is controlling water." 
Xiumin hold the glass and handed it to her.
"Ice?!" Ahra looked at the frozen layer of water.
Xiumin chuckled looking at her shocked face, "I'm incharge of frost."
"The others have different powers like Lay is incharge of healing, D.O with strength , Chen with thunder and Chanyeol with fire." Suho explained.
" Yesterday when you all came to the school, time stopped.. It must be one of you... Who did it?" Ahra looked at them suspiciously. They exchanged meaningful looks at each other as if trying to challenge her patience.
"It was me!! Isn't my power cool???" Tao jumped on the sofa right beside her, "Sadly it cannot last very long, I'm working on it though..." he smiled with pride.
 
 
" It's awesome.. How did you guys manage to hide it from me all this time??" she looked in amazement as Suho started forming a water ball with his hands.
"We weren't supposed to show them to you..." Luhan paused, "But we've done it several times actually.." 
"Really? You did it and I didn't notice?" she sat looking at Luhan's playful eyes, trying to remember.
"On the first day, when I borrowed the scissors from you? I moved them without you seeing.. And when we went to visit your uncle, Xiumin froze the water around Tao's feet when we were playing in the stream, remember?" 
Tao folded his hands, " Yeah, he wasn't playing fair.." He sulked even more as Xiumin rolled on the sofa laughing.
"Also when Kai appeared to help me??" Ahra looked at Luhan waiting for his confirmation.
"Yes, that one too." 
"And all this time I didn't know.." she laughed at herself.
"Kris hyung is able to fly but he rarely use his power.. What a waste." Tao added.
"You mean he can really fly?" Ahra couldn't believe what she heard.
"Yes! Why would I lie? But because people will freak out if they see him flying he never really train his power. For now he can float a few hundred feets from the ground but I bet he'll be able to rocket to space in a few years time. The more you train with your power, the stronger it will be." Tao explained as she paid very close attention to what he was saying. "For now I can only stop time but if I learnt more, I'll be able to turn back time or speed it up. Kai can teleport himself now but he will also be able teleport someone else with him. He regretted not training very hard otherwise he could've brought you with him yesterday." Tao sat excitedly on his seat with a proud smile on his face as he saw her nodding her head in amazement.
Suddenly a question popped in Ahra's mind " Will your powers stay with you forever? Even if the curse is broken?"
There was silence and she saw Tao's jaw dropped. "No, it will be gone once we are free.." Luhan answered.
Reality strucked Tao and his mouth curled downward, "Then I won't be able to control time anymore or upgrde my skills...."
Kai hit his arm and he rubbed it hard with his hand. "Hey!! Which one will you prefer? Living a normal human life as a teenage boy or stuck forever in this half wolf body and imprisoned in it every single night of your life?"
He thought for a few seconds still rubbing his left arm with his right hand, " I know but this power makes me different and unique! Aren't you proud that you're different from those people?" he pointed outside.
"Stop arguing guys. Tao you are unique in your own way." Luhan tried to stop the quarrel.
"That's true. You're uniquely disturbing and noisy! I've never met anyone else as noisy a you.." Chanyeol who just joined in flee away as Tao started chasing after him. Ahra shook her head and chuckled. Eventhough they're not fully human physically but deep inside they are just normal boys who love to joke and fool around like everyone else.
"These boys.." Suho shook his head.
 
                 .................................
 
Saturday passed just like normal except that the night felt like a talent show as they started showcasing their own talents. They created a thunder cloud in the middle of winter and almost burn the whole house at night. The boys left as usual at nine although she insisted that it was fine for her to see them change inside the house. There was a burning flame of curiousity and excitement in her heart but she knew they shouldn't risk anyone seeing them in their wolf form. So they left.
 
The next morning they had normal breakfast time; a lot of noises and chaotic preparation as Tao had decided to 'help' in sampling the food before they were served which made it worse this time. 
It was before she headed back upstairs that Kris stopped her and handed her a small piece of paper, "This is the address to your old house just incase you couldn't remember. I managed to contact the new owner and asked her the favour to let you see the house. I guess it might help you gain back a bit of your memory. Just take one or two of the boys to accompany you. We wouldn't want to bring thirteen people in and turn her house upside down. " 
Ahra accepted the paper and hold it tightly with her fingers. She read the address but nothing came to her mind. It was hard to remember but she tried to calm herself from panicking, " It's okay.. Probably I was too young to remember where I lived at that time." She stayed in her room and locked the door as she started thinking of who to take with her before after fifteen long minutes made up her mind and unlocked the door.
 
"KNOCK KNOCK!!"
 
"Just come in.. It's not locked."
 
Ahra did as she was commanded and pushed open the door. Baekhyun rolled from his bed and sat with his back resting on the pillow propted against the wall. "I know it's you when I heard the knock. If it's the boys, they will just barge in through the door without bothering to knock on it." He folded his legs and smiled at her. She slowly approached him and sat beside him, "Hmm... Can you accompany me? Just if you're not busy.." she paused and looked at him as he raised an eyebrow, confused. "Where? Supermarket?" 
"No, to the house... I mean my mom's house.. Or what used to be our house I guess.... " she replied in an unsure voice . He remained silent but quickly got what she meant. "Alright. I've nothing to do now.. Do you want to leave now? I'll change my clothes first." he got up from his seat in a hurry. She nodded her head, slightly relieved, "Thank you..I'll change too.."
 
They met in the living room, both warmly dressed for the chilly winter. They left for the bus station and after checking the bus number they should get on, sat on the bench and wait before the bus arrived and soon the two were comfortably seated beside each other. Ahra was holding on to her bag the whole time, once in a while checking the piece of paper Kris gave her which she kept in a small pocket inside the bag. Baekhyun gave an understanding smile. He could sense how uneasy she sat and how nervous she was. 
"Don't worry.. You'll do fine..." he placed his warm hand on top of hers and smiled. Ahra felt a bit better. There is something about his smile and presence that had a calming effect on her like a cup of hot tea on a freezing snowing night. 
" I don't know if I can really do this. How if I can't remember?" she asked. The tension had been building up inside her and her worry was eating away her confidence; she was worried she'll let them down.
"You will. This is just the start Ahra.. everything  needs a process. If you can't remember it today, that's alright. You will be able to remember it tomorrow or the day after. The only person you can trust right now is yourself.." Ahra played with her fingers, her heart felt lighter and she was thankful that he was there with her. Soon the bus stopped and they took a taxi to the given address.
 
Ahra stepped out of the cab and gripped the strap of her bag. Baekhyun went out and stood beside her in front of the gates. He let her take her time and pressed on the bell after getting her signal. Ahra couldn't move a muscle and her grip on the strap became stronger. It felt like the longest two minutes of her life before a friendly looking woman opened the gate. She had shoulder length wavy hair and narrow jawline.
"Annyeonghaseyo.." Baekhyun bowed and she bowed slightly beside him. 
"You must be the guy that gave me the call a few days ago..."  The woman smiled and looked at him before fixing her eyes on the girl.
"It wasn't me but it was my brother.." he slightly smiled. 
"Oww, just come in.." she let the two in through the gate. Baekhyun took hold of her wrist and softly pulled it, leading her in. Ahra looked around; the garden with bare flower bushes around ,a swing on the corner of the house and  creeper plants growing healthily, covering one of the walls of the garden - but nothing was familiar to her yet. They unsurely followed the lady in and she excused herself to make them some tea. Soon she served them two cups of tea on china cups and sat on the sofa.
"So, you lived here before?" she asked Ahra who sitting stiffly beside the guy.
" Y-yes...." she stammered.
"I bought the house around four years ago and lived here with my husband, a son and a daughter. My husband come back every weekday evening at five so you can come as often as you want in the afternoon.. I hope it can help you get your memories back.." she touched her hand slightly. Kris had told her part of the story and she felt pity for the girl. 
Ahra could feel kindness and sincerity in her words and she smiled back at her, "Thank you... I hope I'm not disturbing your family.."
"Just take your time.. This is the least I can do to help you remember.." she gave her an understanding smile. Ahra started wondering, "Had her mother been kind like this woman? Had she looked pretty when she smiled at her?" 
 
She took them around the house and let the girl look around the place. Ahra focussed her sight on every inch of the house, trying to not miss a single thing or clue that might help her remember.
"Maybe you're not very familiar with this place because I changed the furnitures and the interior design.." the woman said.
Baekhyun only nodded his head but his eyes weren't able to focus on anything else but Ahra. His sight followed her as she awkwardly touched the wall and unsurely scanned the area a few times. Deep inside he was thinking hard to himself on how he'll be able to help her even just a bit but he came to a dead end. The least he thought he should do was to leave her alone so she wouldn't feel disturbed or pressured by his presence. Ahra walked slowly around, once in a while pausing to take closer look at a few things. The whole time she was just silent but slowly she was lossing hope. They trusted her and relied on her. That really put a lot of pressure on her and she felt more weight added up on her shoulders. She broke into cold sweat and rubbed the surface of her palms on her sweater. One whole hour and it came to nothing. She sunk on the seat beside Baekhyun who was waiting for her patiently while keeping his eyes on her. She shook her head weakly trying to force a slight smile on her face and he understandingly patted her back, "It's okay..."
 
They excused themselves and the woman sent them off with a message that they are always welcomed to come back. Ahra felt depressed, as if she lost in the battle against her worries. It was really depressing to just walk around the place that she grew up in and spent time with her mother in just to feel like a lost stranger. She closed her eyes and leaned towards the glass window of the bus staring outside. The gentle grip on her hands woke her slightly from her deep thoughts.
"Ahra, remember what I told you? Hold on to it and believe my words this time.." Baekhyun once again encouraged her.
" There is a reason why it's you and not anyone else.. Don't take this as a burden or a task that you need to complete.. Don't do it for us but do it for yourself." He tried to rebuild her confidence as she started falling deeper into slump. She wasn't sure what to say, "I'm sorry"? "Thank you"? Everything didn't seem quite right. On one end she knew what he said was right but on the other, the disappointing start made her pesimistic on how the future will be. How is she going to look at them now and what was she supposed to say? "Sorry I couldn't remember a single thing and I don't think I ever will?"
"I'm just disappointed with myself I guess.. I thought I should be able to remember atleast something." she sighed. She didn't want to look so miserable and pitiful that he will feel poor for her.
"There will always be tomorrow Ahra.. And we won't leave you just because you fail today. When you fall, we'll help you to get back up.." he smiled and shook her hair playfully to brighten up the atmosphere. It worked as she smiled and tidied her bangs. No matter how much disappointed and worried she was Ahra wasn't the type to cry and weep after failing once. She had never been that type of girl. 
 
When she woke up on the hospital bed with all these medical equipments attached to her body she had not cried. When there was an echo in her head when she talked which hurt so badly she didn't cry. When she was told that her mother had died and her uncle will be her new guardian she didn't cry. But she did felt alone and confused. When she had to survive alone to live, working different part time jobs after school and even being bullied,  she never cried. She tried to hold the emotions in and just bear with it. This time she will do the same although she felt hopeless and weak. She knew weeping or getting angry about it will not solve a thing so she should just try her best and do it again. She knew Baekhyun was right, there will always be tomorrow and it will be full of new hope for her.
 
               ...................................
 
Ahra sat on the bench, her hands folded in her laps. The sun was setting , the sky was of red and orange color and tomorrow will be a brand new Monday. The others had encouraged her when she returned home empty-handed and it cheered her up a bit. Suddenly someone appeared from inside- it was Sehun. Ahra made a seat for him by moving a bit and he comfortably sat beside her with something in his hand.
"How was it today?" he asked.
" I'm not sure, I should try harder next time.." she answered. He turned the thing in his hand around and around- the awkward atmosphere. Ahra decided to take the initiative to start the conversation.
"Sehun, show me your power.. I didn't get to see it yesterday.." she moved closer to him.
"My power is nothing interesting. You got plenty of it this winter.." he chuckled, his head lowered.
"Come on~ show me I want to see.." she asked again, pooking his shoulder with hers.
He sighed and closed his right palm for a while and when he opened it, there was a small whirlwind on his palm. It was turning around like a small tornado and he effortlessly balanced it on his hand and let it move until it stood on his index finger alone.
"How do you actually do something like that?" she asked, curiously leaning herself towards him.
"I just concentrate and it appeared.. See?" he formed another one with his left hand. "Open your hand." 
Ahra did as she was told and he smoothly passed one of it on to her palm. "It tickles." she laughed as she put her two hands together, giving it more freedom to move around. She brought her hands closer to her face and soon her hair was flowing in the air. She remained quiet and surprisingly she could hear the soft sound of the tiny whirlwind.
" When the wind blow you can always feel and hear it but you never really know where it came from or where it's going to...." Sehun released the whirlwind and it disappeared into thin air as Ahra followed him. 
"Don't you want to be the wind? There is just no barriers.." she asked looking at the leaves of the trees brushing against each other and the wind causing the branches to sway, "Complete freedom..." He nodded his head slightly, " Yes.. Like the wind, you can always go wherever you want with no one able being able to control or stop you.. You can always feel it and hear it without it having to be visible.." 
Ahra sighed and suddenly she felt a ghust of wind blowing against her cheek, as if it softly. She looked at him, surprised but he hadn't moved an inch from his position. She stared suspiciously and he looked back at her, "You felt it?" 
She smiled and nodded her head. She liked it when the wind brush against her skin when she was walking and she liked it when they escaped trough the gap between her fingers when she streched her hands out.
 
 
" What's that?" she asked as she noticed the thing he was holding and turning around with his hands.
Sehun showed her a pack of long thin strips of colorful paper, "I bought this today in a craft shop. If you fold it you can make star shapes..  But I'm not very sure how to do it. I thought you'll be able to show me because you normally make origami.." 
She smiled and gladly showed him how to fold the paper into a star. "Here you go.. Wasn't it pretty easy? You know when you manage to make a thousand stars, you can wish for something? Probably you have a wish that' why you bought this?" she handed him the puffed up tiny star.
" Really? I only bought it out of curiousity.." he started folding the paper star with his fingers. Ahra returned back inside and came back with a bottle.
She plunged in the tiny star she made  and handed it to him. " Nine hundred and ninty nine stars to go."
Sehun dropped in the star he just made, "Wrong, nine hundred and ninety eight.." She laughed as he smiled and covered his mouth slightly with his hand.
 
From inside the house someone was looking at them sitting and smilling at each other. There were sparks of jealousy in his heart but he shook his head to get rid of the weird feeling which started to conquer him and returned back in to one of the bedrooms.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
A/N:  It's been a while since the last update ^^ sorry if I kept you waiting for long >__________< Hope you all are still anticipating the next chapters because there's still alot more to go~~~~ When I feel tired or not really in the mood to write, seeing you all keep reading the story really cheered me up thank you and 
Happy reading \^_^/