First Step

The Wolf Curse

 

The sound of foot steps broke the silence of the night as they emerged out from the thick woods into the open clearing in the middle of the forest. The thin layer of mist didn't bother them and the cool midnight air couldn't pass through their thick layer of coat. It became silent as the leader stopped and turn back to face the rest of the pack.
 
 He looked at them with his pair of sharp grey eyes not saying a word. His presence itself was more than enough to get their attention. None of them let their thoughts wonder and they were waiting patiently for their leader to give them their command. Everyone knew that this is a very serious topic , something that all of them, their families and even their ancestors had been waiting for for a hundred years long. It is the moment they have all been waiting for. 
 
The leader took another look at his pack before starting, 
" The time has come. We will move tomorrow."
He kept it short and straight like how he usually does. Everone remained silent.
 
"Everything is set and I don't think i need to remind you all but this is not something we do for fun. I want you all to be ready for whatever that will happen and be aware of all the consequences." 
 
"How do you think she'll react to us? Do you think she will believe us? We're just total strangers to her." One of them stepped forward as the others remained quiet, thinking exactly the same thing. 
 
The sharp grey eyes remained still and calm. 
"I don't know. We just need to try our best."
 
The questioner wasn't satisfied and so were the others. Not close to the answer they wanted to hear but they asked no more. 
The leader looked around for a few seconds waiting for any other quetions.
He can clearly see the disatisfaction and worries in their eyes but he would 't think of worrying them even more. He knew them since young and he knew they will take the matter seriously and do their best in it. He trusted them. But he never let the words out of his mouth.
His howl signaled the end of the meeting and they dismissed themselves. Soon the small open field was empty only the tracks of pawprints left on the thick green moss that line the forest floor.
 
                    ..................
 
Ahra looked at her friend who was squatting down while massaging her knees to try getting rid of the fatigue. 
 
"You should go home now. Your mom must be searching for you." she tapped her shoulder lightly and smiled widely at her.
 
Sora looked up at her friend. She wanted to help her friend so much and she rose up trying to look fully energized.
"Let's look around for abit more." She took out the pen in her blazer's pocket and started marking down the papers in her hand.
 
"Just go home~ i can do this by myself." She gave her a push which was returned with a pout. 
 
"It'll be faster searching the room if we're together. Anyway why didn't the house owner give you earlier notice. She can't just expect you to find a new room in a few days."
 
Ahra sighed , " I know right.. But if i own the house and someone offers to pay twice the amount of rent i'll also kick out the present tenant out. It's also kind of tiring to keep on with her nagging everytime we meet regarding my rent."
 
"You can always come to me if you can't manage to find a room before the deadline." 
Ahra  gave her a thankful smile.
 
Her eyes scanned the papers in her hand when she noticed something that caught her attention.
"Do you want to check this one out?? This seems pretty good." She encircled the advert with her red pen underlining the phone number and address.
 
"There's nothing wrong checking all the options incase we miss out a good offer.Besides it seems like a good price and the terms and condition is reasonable." Sora took the paper from her hand and read the details carefully.
 
Ahra took her phone and dialed the phone number written in the information box. The two girl took thr bus and calmly seated themselves at the back row. They reached their stop in less than half an hour and started exploring the neighbourhood looking for the address.
 
"This is it. Wow it's...... big." 
 
They stopped infront of a cream colored two storey house. It was surrounded by tall brown wooden fences and concrete wall.
 
"Do you think we should check it out?? I'm starting to have second thoughts."
 
"We're already here. There's nothing wrong checking. We can just tell them we'll think about it first if the price is not friendly to your wallet." Sora pressed the bell without waiting for her reply. After a while the front gate was opened.
 
"You two must be the one who called. Just come in.." a skinny lady greeted them with a smile as she welcomed them in. 
 
Ahra just couldn't take her eyes off her. Her thin red lips and mysterious aura made her feel abit cautious. She erased her thoughts immediately thinking of how impolite it is for her to think of her that way in their first meeting.
 
She led them into the house through the wooden door. "This house is fully furnished so you don't need to spend more money. How is it?" 
 
Ahra couldn't help but keep open in awe as she looked around. The warm living room with cozy sofa and the comfort she got once she entered the house. She can imagine herself cooking in the kichen using all the stoves and washing her hands in the sparking sink or getting some relaxing time watching the TV in the living room during her free time.
 
The lady led her around and took her to the room she was offering on the second floor. 
 
"It's got a bathroom inside and also airconditioner for summer and heater for winter. I'll repaint the wall a brighter color i you don't like brown."
 
"No, no.. It's perfect." Ahra felt the silky cover of the bed and the smooth brown paint on the wall with her fingers. She loves every part of the room. The soft comfy bed and the fluffy white pillows, wooden desk beside the white cupboard and the small veranda and the pale white curtains. It's the most beautiful room she's ever been to and she just doesn't want to leave.
 
"This place is really nice but how about the price? And when can this place be ready." Sora broke the silence as she saw her friend looking at every inches of the room with amazement.
 
The lady gave a short chuckle, "You can move in as soon as possible. Tomorrow if you want. I can also offer you a very affordable price.. But there's something that you must know. You'll be sharing the house with others.."
She paused leaving the two girls more  curious.
 
"Mark this down. Not one or two but twelve.... Twelve boys altogether."