Cha: 005

[DISCONTINUED] That Corner Hides a Pair of Eyes

 

 
Darkness . . 
 
I felt myself take my last breath, but was woken up by the painfull feeling in my hands, beeps from the heart monitor, and the sound of someone crying
 
"Why? Why . . Why . . Why . . Why . ."
 
I opened my eyes to see what the fuss is all about. 
I found myself in an unfamilliar room. 
Then i remembered, i'm in woohyun's room.
 
I tiringly looked to my right and felt my head throb in pain, then i saw him, woohyun, crying. I wanted to comfort him for whatever reason he's crying, but i want to sleep some more. 
 
"P-please be quiet. . . " i told him. 
"My h-hand h-hurts, a-and so i-is m-my h-head . ."
 
He looked at me with blood-shot eyes, surprised. He immidiately got up on his feet and hugged me, tightly. Making it hard for me to breathe. 
 
"Y-yah . ." I said in a weak voice. My throat feels hoarse and dry. I want a glass of water. 
 
"I . . . I t-thought y-you w-were d-dead!! " he yelled, while crying. 
I sat up and patted his back sheepishly, i feel weak afterall. 
 
I removed the oxygen mask and said: "I'm not dead ok? B-but please l-let g-go . . I c-cant b-breathe anymore . ." He immediately let go and said sorry.
 
"W-water . . " i said. And he immidiately fetched a glass and poured water in it.
I drank it, feeling better. 
 
I felt cold air down my chest, when i glanced down, i saw my clothes cut in half. Revealing my bandaged chest. I grabbed the ends of the torn shirt and asked 
"What h-happened?" 
"Emergency" he answered "that's what happend." He chuckled.
I only look at him as he go inside a door and came back with a black shirt. 
He tossed the shirt in the bed. 
"Wear that" he said. He walked over a phone with a smile in his face and made a call.
 
I grabbed the shirt and removed the torned one. When i try to wear the clothes, i feel that my body's stiff. I looked at my arms and wrist to see bandages all over me. I tried to move around but it hurts. 
 
" i can help if you want" i heard him say and i looked up at him.
Without bothering to hear my answer, he grabbed the shirt and removed the thorned one. He helped me wear the new one, and discarded the thorned one.
 
He went inside a door and a flow of water and a material being thrown can be heard. I layed my back against the bed's head board, grabbed the oxygen mask to help me breathe and closed my eyes to sleep again.
________________________________________________________
 
'He's alive' i thought to myself, and without realising it, i smiled. 
 
I wash my hands and discarted the thorned clothes he was wearing earlier. 
I heard the door being harshly opened and looked out the bathroom door to see Dr. Kang, -whom i called earlier- standing there, looking at Sunggyu. 
His eyes are wide open, he immidiately grabbed his clip board and started skimming the pages. He looked at the paper, then at Sunggyu, then at the paper again. 
 
"You're here" i said. Breaking him from his serious trance.
He looked back at me and smirked. 
 
"Your amazing, Nam Woohyun." He said, i smiled. "I see he's alive" 
 
"Yes, i thought i lost him too. Turns out, i was wrong. Now i like being wrong." I smiled again.
 
"He's also amazing too." 
 
"I know, because he manage to meraculously live again."
 
He shook his head while smiling "that's not what i meant." 
 
"Then what is it?" 
 
"He made you smile, twice, awhile ago." 
 
I realised that he did just now. He made me smile. 
I touched my lips, and smiled at the thought of him bringing back what i lost.
 
"See? You're smiling again!" Dr. Kang said, braking me from my smiling trance.
 
I laughed 
 
He came towards me and ruffled my hair.
"I'm glad the old woohyun's back. But everything happend so suddenly. I still cant believe it!" He laughed.
 
"Anyway, he's just sleeping right now." I told him.
"It is true, what you told me, he did wake up with a massive headache. He also asked for water and i gave him some." 
 
"W-what?" He said
 
"Why?" I asked. "Its just water." 
 
He sighed "woohyun-ah, water helps anything in his body to circulate to the vital organs, he's still sick, he's not fully healed yet, you might make him worse." 
 
"What?!" 
 
"Wake him up right now, he might die in his sleep. I'll just go get my medicine box, besides, i dont think he'll listen to me if i wake him up." Dr. Kang ran outside of my room while  I hurridly went to Sunggyu to wake him up. 
 
"Sunggyu~ah, wake up" i said while gently shaking him.
"Sunggyu" i said, with my voice getting louder with every attemp of waking him up.
 
"Sunggyu . . . Sunggyu . . . Sunggyu . . . Sunggyu? . . . Suggyu!!! Sunggyu-ah!!"
I shook him violently and his eyes fluttered open. 
 
"Y-yah " he said sheepishly. "Why?" 
 
I breathe out a sigh of relief. 
 
"I'm sorry, but you cant sleep right now."
 
"Huh? Why!!?"
 
"I did something wrong and you might die in your sleep." 
 
His eyes widen and slumped back down on the bed's head board.
 
"D-die??! but Woohyun~ah, i want to sleep." He said, he sounds like a kid begging for candy. So cute.
 
"You cant." I said firmly. 
 
Dr. Kang arrived in my room again, carrying a big black box. He placed it in the table and opened it, revealing neatly stocks of medicine. 
He grabbed an orange colored bottle, a spoon, and turned to our direction.
 
"I see he's awake." He said with relief in his voice.
 
I nodded and smiled.
 
He approached sunggyu and poured the contents of the bottle in the spoon.
"Take this." He said.
 
Sunggyu opened his mouth and took the medicine. His face churred, with looks of disgust.
 
"Its bitter" he said. "Like really bitter." 
Dr. Kang smiled and ruffled sunggyu's hair. 
"You're like a kid." He said
Sunggyu looked at Dr. Kang without moving his head. Hence, him looking all innocent and childish, but i know, he's just clueless.  Dr. Kang smiled at sunggyu. Sunggyu, being cluless, only stared. 
 
"Anyway." Dr. Kang said, breaking the awkward athmosphere."dont let him sleep at all, He needs to be under observation. You cant let him drink or eat anything today. So use your self control on him. I know he's cute so . . . Control yourself." 
 
"C-cute?!" Sunggyu blurted out. "I'm not cute!" 
Dr. Kang smirked "i'll be at the mansion's library if you need me. And sunggyu." Sunggyu looked at him. "I'll ask you some questions regarding those bruises later." Dr. Kang walked out of my room leaving us alone again.
 
"You heard him." I said. "You cant sleep, drink, or eat." 
 
"I want to sleep. My head hurts." He closed his eyes and i immidiately slapped his face to wake him up. 
 
"Ah!" He yellped. 
 
"Sorry . . You just cant."
 
"This is going to be a very long day." He said.
 
"Dont worry. I'll be here to keep you company." 
 
He nodded and . . Silence 
 
"Nee, woohyun~ah. " He asked breaking the silence. "Why did you help me?" 
 
"Because you need it." I answered.
 
He removed his oxygen mask and said "But . . . Arent all of you after my suffering? Wouldnt it be better if i just died? 
I was the reason why she died right? Isnt death repayed with another death? 
I do deserve it afterall." 
 
I wanted to punch him so bad, he sounds stupid. 
But then again, what he experienced made him like this, Even though its not his fault. I know the truth. I know it better than he does. 
 
"Shut up." I blurted out. 
I didnt mean to say that . . It just came out. Now he looks hurt and sorry.
Now he has the face that says: 'but it is true'
 
I feel bad now. 
 
"I'm sorry . . " i said "stop it ok? Stop pitying yourself, its annoying." 
 
MAJOR FACEPALM!! 
I'm not good with words, ok? I admit it. I'm not as good as my brother when it comes to talking, it always comes out wrong when i talk.
 
"I'm sorry" i said again. "I'm not really good at talking." 
 
"Its alright" he said. "Nee~ what day is it?" 
 
"Sept 21" i said. 
 
"What?! Isnt it suppose to be august 17 today?!" 
 
"You were put in a chemical induced coma that lasted for 5 weeks. Dr.kang had to do it or you might have gotten worse. They also did a heart surgery on you that rainy day when i found you." 
 
Sunggyu touched his chest and felt something odd. 
 
Stiches. 
 
"Wait . . You found me? You were looking for me?" 
 
I nodded. 
 
"I know that you're uncle beats you up day and night. Thats why you have those bruises. Most of them came from him right? " 
 
He nodded 
 
"I saw him beat you up one night, when you scrapped your wrist. I saw everything happen, but i didnt hear anything, i was outside. Since that night, i said i'd protect you." 
 
I didnt tell him that i video-taped it, he might get suspicious.He looked at me wide-eyed, he wasnt expecting that from me. I can tell. 
 
"And . . . " my voice trailed off. I dont know how i'll tell him the death of his uncle.
Sunny's foster dad. His death should cause him some happiness right? But it dosent seem to be like that. 
 
"What?" 
 
"Your . . Uncle." 
He stiffen up. "W-what's w-wrong with u-uncle?" 
"He's dead" 
"WHAT?!" He yelled with anger and sadness in his voice.
"Shouldnt you be happy?" I said "the devil's gone now." 
"Dont call him that!" He yelled back. I was shocked with what he said.
He's protecting his uncle, his uncle who tried to take his eyes off.
 
Shocking.
 
"Why are you protecting him?!" I yelled, it just seems so wrong. "Isnt he the one who tried to take your eyes off? Isnt he the one who caused you pain? Isnt he the one who made your weak heart to overwork? Isnt he the reason why you nearly died?!" 
 
"Even so . . " he said with a flat tone. "I need him" 
 
"Need him for what?! Finances?!" I yelled "i can help you with that!" 
 
He glared at me. I do sound arrogant. I bit my lip, that was too much.
 
"I dont need his money . . I know alot about businesses and i can take care of myself." 
 
He hugged his knees and i saw a drop of tear escape his eyes.
 
"I just dont want to be alone." He sobbed and cried in his knees. He clenched his hair with his right hand to relieve some of the tention off. He clenched it harder when he felt that the pain isnt going away.
 
The heart monitor started to go hye-wire. He's over working his heart again. 
Grief really is something heavy. 
 
I immidiately went over him and removed his hands from his hair. I held his face with blood-shot eyes, he was breathing heavily, and so i made him wear the oxygen mask so that he can breathe with no difficulties. He clenched his chest while squinting his right eye.  It must be hurting right now.
 
I pulled him into a hug and caressed his hair, in hopes that my touch calms him down, but He's still clenching his shirt. 
 
"It h-hurts . ." He muttered. 
 
I hugged him tighter, closed my eyes, and rested my head on his.
 
"Sunggyu~ah . . Calm down, stop crying." I hope he would.
 
" You wont be alone. " its true, he wont be.
 
"I'm still here. " and i'll stay.
 
"I wont let you be alone." I told him. 
 
He tugged my shirt and said "P-promise m-me that" 
I smiled to myself. 
"I promise" and i patted his head. He let go of his grip from his shirt and let his hands fall down. He's stopped sobbing but he's still crying. 
I felt his hot tears fall down on my arms. The heart monitor has calmed down now, sending beeps once in while at a  normal rate.
 
We were lost in our moment when suddenly. Dr. Kang and Noel came to the door with worried looks. I only looked at them while still hugging Sunggyu. 
Dr. Kang smiled.
"We heard the heart machine going crazy, but It seems that everything's all been taken care of." He said.
 
Sunggyu and i looked at them wide-eyed.
Dr. Kang chuckled. 
 
Sunggyu coughed and i pulled from the hug and patted his back. 
Dr. Kang and Noel laughed.
 
"What now?" I said.
 
Without a another word. They left.
________________________________________________________
 
Woohyun . . He sure is unexpected.
He promised . . So he must keep that promise, or i'll be torn apart.
 
His smile . . That crocked smile of his.
I know he fakes his smile at school. Its pretty obvious actually. 
His smile contains coldness and pain. 
But now . . It looks all real and warm. 
He's got such a nice smile . . He should smile like this more often. It suits him.
 
I sit in his bed while the oxygen mask is still in my face. 
He sits in a cream colored couch with pillows and a blanket scattered beside it.
He must be sleeping in that couch every night because i sleep in his bed. 
I feel like a burden now.
Rich people should sleep in their luxury beds.
Not couches.
 
I looked at the balcony with the stunning view of the sea. It was windy and so the curtains and chimes sway along with the wind. 
It calming.
I closed my eyes to feel the wind in my face. I've never been this calm my entire life. 
 
Its always the painful blows and hurtful insults everyday.
My pounding heart against my shirt. 
The tears i fight hard to hold back. 
My desperate pleas for everything to stop.
Those painful tools against my bruised skin.
The cold rain in my shoulders.
His angry eyes.
And my helplessness. 
 
This . . This feels different. 
This feels . . Wrong?
 
I felt a light tap in my shoulders to see woohyun smiling at me.
I can only look at him with tired eyes.
 
"You cant sleep remember?" He said.
"Well i'm not, i'm just feeling the wind." I said.
He patted my head and said "that's good, because you really cant." 
I only smile at him.
 
Its true. I want to sleep. 
If i had to choose one from the things i could'nt do to do, that would be sleeping.
My eyes still burn afterall.
 
My eyes . . 
 
I touched the corner of my right eye, but felt no scar, No stitches, no pain. 
Nothing.
 
Woohyun is now reading a very thick book about the history of music.
I didnt know he likes those stuff.
He looked so . . Intersted in it. He had those sparkle in his eyes when he reads the book. He looks lost in his own world.
He looks like a child reading a fairytale.
But then i remembered something, i cant stay here.
 
"Yah . . Woohyun-ah." I called out.
He flinched and became lost from his trance of fascination. 
"Why?" He asked.
"Nee~ you do know i cant stay here forever right? I need to go home at some point." I told him
He looked at me, blinked a few times, and laughed.
"Yah, i promised you  that i wont let you be alone right?" I nodded.
"Then how am i suppose to keep that promise if you go away?" 
 
'Oh yeah' i thought 'okay, that was a stupid question'
 
The day didnt go by fast. 
It feels like i'm waiting for a year before i could finally sleep.
Dr. Kang visits us from time to time, checking the machines and stuff.
Woohyun . . He's still reading that thick book.
While I . . Stare and watch his eyes sparkle.
The way his eyes sparkle's fascinating. I didnt know he could look happy.
He always look like a bored puppy at school. 
Do you know why i know? Because he sits next to me. Sometimes i can feel his piercing gazes, but i just ignore it. 
 
The sun's already setting and its finally getting dark. 
 
Night time. 
 
Woohyun, gosh, he sure likes to read. Because he already finished the book
He stretched his arms and yawned. 
 
"I'm bored" he declared."do you want to play a board game or something? Oh yeah, lets play video games instead."
He walked out of the room and came back with expensive looking controls.
He handed me one and hooked it up at the flat screen TV infront of the bed.
He put a disk inside the DVD player, and the game started.
 
He sat down at the carpeted floor, leaving me in the bed, confused.
 
"Yah, you can sit here with me you know" i said.
He looked at me and became crimson red. 
I laughed.
"Yah, i'm serious. You own the room anyway." I told him.
He got up and sat next to me. I chuckled at his cuteness.
 
We played countless of games until i saw the sky turn indigo.
Surprisingly, i was able to fight the urge to sleep until now.
I glance at woohyun who seemed to be having a hard time being awake.
He would slowly close his eyes and shoot them open as soon as he realised that he was getting sleepy. We were playing tekken and now, i'm having alot of winning streaks. Earlier, he was always the one who'll win, but now, its always me. And i'm not even trying anymore. I just randomly press the x and o buttons and bamn! I win again. 
 
He needs to sleep, he looks tired.
 
I tapped his shoulder and said "you should sleep now, you look tired."
"Huh? But i need to keep an eye on you, you might sleep. I'm not sleeping until the day ends" He told me.
"Speak for yourself, you look like a corpse now." 
 
He didnt answer. 
 
I took my attention away from the TV and saw woohyun, sleeping.
'And he said he wont sleep.' I thought to myself.
 
I glance at the clock to see the time, 3:12 am.
I want to keep myself occupied and so, i got back to the game, when I suddenly felt something heavy on my shoulders. I looked to my left and saw woohyun's head resting on my shoulders. 
 
Funny. 
 
I stayed up until i saw the sun set. Its morning already. 
Someone opened the door, and i saw Dr. Kang standing by the doorway.
 
He smiled.
 
"I see your still awake." He told me with a smile.
"Same goes for you sir." I told him, he chuckled.
"I didnt stay up all night, i accidentally slept at the library." He said while scratching his head.
He looked at me to see woohyun sleeping on my shoulders. He chuckled.
"I see he's sleeping." 
"Yeah" i sheepishly said. "He told me he wont sleep though." 
He laughed. 
"I didnt know he had that in him." He said.
"Had what?"
"Concern" He said "he's never done this thing before." 
 
I felt my shoulders getting stiff, so i laid woohyun down at the bed properly.
I tucked the duvet just under his chin and let him sleep peacefully.
Dr. Kang came over and checked the machines.
 
"It seems that the virus didnt spread at all"He said 
"i guess . . You can sleep now"
I only looked at him with relief. Its nice to hear that i can sleep now.
 
"Sunggyu" called Dr. kang, with seriousness in his voice. "i need to talk to you about those bruises . . I need to know when these started, i need to know how you got them, i need to know who did this." 
 
"What for?" I said firmly" These bruises are already here anyway. Theres no need to tell you."
I dont want anyone to know, i want burry everything. 
I dont want to be reminded about those brass knuckles, broken bottles, and sharp blades. The memory makes me shudder and feel sudden physical pain.
Sometimes, i just want to bang my head against a wall to forget, sadly, that would be stupid.
 
"You need to tell me so that i can help you get over it." 
"Tempting" i said
"I'll wait for you when you're ready." 
 
He smiled and walked out of the door.i grabbed the remote and closed the TV so that i can sleep. I made myself comfortable when suddenly, i felt an arm hug me tight. Woohyun's arm. 
 
I can only smile at him before i drifted to sleep. 
While having that painfull memory as a dream.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
i'm soooooo happy!! I actually have 15 subbies TwT 
Anyway . . I'm just here to say that i wont be able to do the fast updates anymore, school's not very nice to me.
but dont worry, i'll definately update. ^^ 
gomawo~!! 
-hugs you-