Cha: 001

[DISCONTINUED] That Corner Hides a Pair of Eyes

 

1 that corner hides a pair of eyes.
 
Cha. 1 bruises 
 
" hahaha!! Loser gyu!" Those were the words i hear everyday mixed with the jeers and mock. They would trip me sometimes, making my books fall. I would always rush to pick my things up only to be pushed down again by a boy, bigger than me. Hoya.
"Ya, gyu. Why wont you just die?" He asked while his foot rest on my back pushing me hard against the cold tile floors.
I didnt respond, rather, i couldnt. I was too afraid of the things they'd do to me. 
They made me eat chalk when i tried to fight back once but was sadly out-numbered.
 
I only stare at the school's white floor while a huge crowd of kids surround us and laugh at me, some also throw hurtfull insults. I couldnt hear everything they throw, but there is always this one  insult that catches my attention and i just cant help but feel hurt.
 
"Gyu has no eyes!!"
"Silly!! he has eyes idiot!! but they're the eyes of a murderer!" 
They all laugh, including the school bully, hoya. while pushing me harder down the floor.
I wince in pain, they landed a hard punch at the spot where he's stepping on yesterday. But i just try my best to hide the pain, they will get tired soon and will leave me alone. 
 
"Yah, gyu. You're no fun today. I think you need to be taught a lesson. Just like the last time." 
 
I turned my head to face his, he had that smile filled with malice and undying confidence. The next thing i know, i was being dragged to the school rooftop and was thrown in a corner. He surrounded me with his friends, preventing me to escape. I was hopeless.
 
"Yah, gyu~ah. Its very simple actually. All you need to do is to leave this school with those murderous looks you inherited from you're dad and all of us will be happy. Or maybe, you can just die so that it would be easier."
 
I couldnt look at him, because this wasnt the first time he said this to me so i wasnt that surprised. 
He grabbed my collar and pulled me closer to his face. 
"YAH!! Are you deaf?!" He yelled. this time, i couldnt help but stare at his scary eyes. He smirked. 
"Good, looks like you're listening now." He threw me back at were i was before, making my back hit a sharp edge of the railling. I held my back and winced in pain.
 
"Punish him, he's not listening again." Hoya turned his back and walked out the door. I only looked at his friends with fear in my eyes. I dont want this again. 
They all gave out their evil smiles. I cant do anything. I was weak.
I closed my eyes for what ever kind of pain awaits me. 
 
One of his friends grabbed my colar and punched me in the jaw. I fell down the cold concrete floor. They kicked me and punched me randomly everywhere. 
I can feel blood trickling down my mouth and head. They stopped once they noticed my heavy breathing, i have a weak heart afterall, they dont want to kill me YET because they want me to suffer longer.
They all walked out the rooftop like nothing happened. 
I on the other side, kept on repositioning myself to relieve some of the pain.
I manage to make myself sit down, i leaned my back against the wall to steady myself. I let out a bitter laugh. 
 
"Monday" i said. "4 more of these to go." 
I feel my conciousness slipping away, and i slept in the bear cold while hugging my stomach.
________________________________________________________
 
I've been here for 2 months now, and i failed in finding something interesting in this run-down school. I thought going to a normal school would be interesting than those prestigious ones. But this place is no diffrent. All they want from me is money. I stare out the car's window with thoughts to make my life intersting run in my head. 
 
"Young master, were here." Said noel, the house butler. 
I didnt look at him and immidiately opened the door and stepped out of the car while grabbing my bag with me. As soon as i got out, swarms of girls suround  me.
 
"Oppah!! Oppah!! " they all said. 
At first i was intersted in the attention, but now, it sickens me. Knowing that they'd practically seduce you for money is disgusting. 
I ignore them until i reach the school building. I thought this would be one of those cold yet sunny peacefull monday mornings, but it wasnt. 
First thing in the morning, they're already picking on a helpless student. 
They have been doing this since i got here. They even asked me to tag along. But i wasnt that low, so i declined. But i have to admit, he's making my life here a little interesting. 
 
They tell him that he had his father's murderous eyes. He has a weak heart too. So he really cant do anything for himself.
I watch him get beat up everyday, in diffrent places, in diffrent times. 
He would look like a corpse by friday, and a goodlooking man when its monday.
 
He was pinned down by hoya's foot. I can see him struggling to break free from hoya's push. But it only made hoya go harder on him. 
 
"Gyu has no eyes!!" I heared one of the students say. 
"Silly!! he has eyes idiot!! but they're the eyes of a murderer!" They all laughed at him and nodded their heads as if they are agreeing.
 
After a few minutes of 'teasing' him, He was  dragged by his hair to the school rooftop. To disappear in the eyes of the spectators. My guess is that, they'll punch the living daylights out of him. And it was early in the morning too. Some people just have no life.
 
This suffering angel, his name, kim Sunggyu.
 
"Oh my gawd!! I hope that sunggyu guy would just dissappear!!" Said the girl two tables away from where i sat. I stood up and walked over the gossiping girls. Curious to why they'd do it.
Their faces lit up when they saw me coming over. They were squeling, but i ignored it.
 
"Nee~" i said using my y voice. They all spazzed harder.
"Why do you want Sunggyu to go away?" I asked looking intently in one of the girl's eyes.
 
"Because his dad is a murderer." One of the girl's snapped.
"His dad killed Sunny." 
"Who's sunny?" I asked.
"The only person that made this school happy. The only person hoya loved."
"And because it's fun" 
 
My eyes widend. 'So that's why' i thought. I didnt paid much attention about the last reason why they beat him up. 
The girls blabber about some things about a cafe and its desserts. I slupt down back at my seat and gathered my thoughts.
 
"KRRRRRIIIIIIIINNNNNGGGG!!!" The school bell rang.
As soon as it rang, all the students came rushing back to their rooms and seats. Including hoya's friends. But there's someone missing . . Where's Sunggyu? 
 
Sunggyu sits beside me near the left window. So it would be hard for me not to ignore him. He would always glance up in the sky as if like talking to someone. Even though he ignores the teacher's lectures, he still manages to get decent grades, heck, he's even our classroom's top rank! But whenever the teachers announce that he got the highest score in a test, the classroom would turn grim in silence and ignore him. He would only walk back to his seat with his head down, clenching hard into his paper.
 
The class started with the teacher checking on attendance. 
 
"Kim Sunggyu?" The teacher called out, but no one answered. 
The students faces turned into disgust when they heared his name. 
 
"Yosangnim!! Please dont say that awful name in class! It ruins our day!"
The whole class agrees, except for me. I observe my surroundings because it looks rather . . Interesting.
 
The teacher scolded the students who said such 'horrid' things, but they would only say that it was true. I laughed at that remark.
 
"Nam woohyun-ssi" i snapped out from my observant trance when i heared my name being called out. 
 
"Nee" i stood up.
 
"Will you please look for kim Sunggyu-ssi? He needs to be in this class. Today's lesson is important." The teacher said.
Some girls protested saying that i might get killed. I listened to their pleas for awhile without looking away from the teacher. Then, i finally answered.
 
"Yes, maam. I'll do it."the class room went silent.  They all looked at me like i've grown a twin in my back or something.  I smiled at my teacher and bowed down and went on my way to the rooftop.
 
I saw him, covered in his own blood, breathing heavily. He looked like he went to war by himself. He was leaning against the wall of the rooftop, comepletely exposed to the cold temperature. 
 
I crouched down beside him and stared into his face wet with blood. His eyelids were moving even though he was asleep. Muttering "sorry" over and over again. I wiped his blood striken face with my hankerchief when i saw something clear colored escape from his eyes.
 
Tears.
 
He was having a nightmare for sure, maybe something he saw and would like to forget? I dont know. 
 
I saw his bag and looked inside for its contents. I saw a jacket and grabbed it, and drapped it over him. I dont want to wake him up. I dont want to bring him to the clinic because i might worsen his bruises by carrying him in the wrong way.
He dosent need those lectures, he always ignores them and gets higher grades in the end. I walked out of the rooftop, and decided to pretend that i didnt see him. He needs to rest. 
 
When i opened the doors to my classroom, they stared at me wide-eyed. And started asking if i was alright. 
I bowed down to the teacher before i made my statement.
"Sorry maam, i couldnt find him." 
 
The teacher sighed "its alright, please take youre seat. Just make sure to fill him in about the lecture." I nodded and went back to my seat. I grabbed my notebook and started writing everything down. 
________________________________________________________
 
It was cold when i woke up. The stars and the moon are already in their places when i looked up in the sky. 
 
'Its night' i thought to myself. 
I must be really hated by these people to the point that they'd let me die in the cold here. When i glanced down my stomach, i felt something cloth-like over me. It's my jacket. It made me surprised that someone would help me even if its just putting on a jacket. But i must really go home now, i dont want to get hurt by him again.
 
I tried to stand up and leaned against the wall for support. My whole body aches as i try to walk. My back shoots a massive pain that causes me to go dizzy again. It was a good thing that i can still manage to climb over the school gate, but i fell down on my back once i tried to go on the other side. I limp when i try to walk. It was still painfull afterall. 
 
I can see puffs of mist coming out of my mouth whenever i breathe. It took me awhile to get home, i was always resting for awhile before i continue just to catch my breath.
 
When i finally came home, i opened the door and said "i'm home" like what everybody usually does, but was immidiately cut off by a bottle flying towards my direction, i avoided it but i fell down because of my aching back. 
 
"U-uncle . . " i said, with my hands trembling. 'It's going to start again' i thought.
"YAH! Kim Sunggyu-ssi! Where have you been huh?! Did you know it's late at night now already??!!" 
 
I just stared at him. 
 
"Those bruses again!" He yelled, while pointing at me and gulping down a bottle of suju. 
"Cant you even defend yourself? Huh?! you coward!!" 
He grabbed a fistfull of my hair and flung me against the wall. 
He smelt of alcohol and cigarets. I always look forward into going to school because i can avoid this from him. But i didnt know that i will also get it from my classmates. 
 
Its true. My dad really killed the school's 'life', Sunny. Just like her name, she's sunny. Always so cheerfull. She was the only person hoya ever loved. I was there when she died, but i couldnt do anything. They blamed me for it. That's why i always get these beatings but i just want it to stop. 
 
He grabbed my collar and stared intently into my eyes
"You brat, do you know how hard it is to work for myself?! Now i'm stuck here with you!! You know, you should have gone with your murderous parents and die!" He slapped me in the face,hard. 
 
Then,He punched me in the jaw. He kicked me everywhere. He made the pain that hoya caused me, so much worse. I could only let a tear escape from my eyes while he beat me up. 
 
"So, you're crying now?!" He said, but my actions only made him go land powerfull blows on me more. I just groan and wince in pain. I was breathing heavily again. My weak heart couldnt take this much longer. 
 
"S-stop . . "I said in a weak voice.
He stopped once he saw me being tired and exhausted. Just like hoya, he dosent want to kill me because i need to suffer more. 
 
He went back to his seat and drank another bottle and then threw it above my head. I covered my head so that i wont get hurt but a shard flew in my wrist and sliced my skin, causing it to drip red liquid.
 
"If only you didnt have those murderous eyes of your dad, then the whole world will be much kinder to you." He said.  
 
I tried to stand up but my legs feel wobly. My vision is getting blurry too. 
I walked towards the stairs to my room while leaning against the wall for support.
 
"Yah, where are you going?!" He screamed.
I didnt answer him. It would only cause him to hurt me again. 
 
I layed on my bed while turning the sheets red. I breathe heavily like i did in that night. I still remember everything so clearly. 
 
I reached for the first aid kit near my bed so that i can dress the wound in my wrist. 
 
I dont want to go to school tomorrow, but i dont want to see his face either.
I want to be away, away from all this. But where will i go? I have no one else but myself. I cant run away either, i dont have anywhere to go.
 
I placed my bleeding-bandaged wrist on my forehead and let myself drift to sleep with everything in me, aching.
 
I wake up the next morning with the annoying sound of my alarm clock. I turned it off deciding that i want to stay today. I dont care anymore if he beats me up again. I dont care about anything anymore.
________________________________________________________
 
I waited in my car with noel for sunggyu to come out of the school building from his sleeping state at the rooftop. Its already night and he hasnt come out yet.
 
"Master, its already night and you'd be missing supper. We must go now." Noel said, with a hint of worry in his voice.
 
"No noel" i said in a firm voice."i'm waiting for someone. You can go ahead if you want, but i'll be staying here. I need to see him walk out of the building"
 
Noel didnt utter any word once i said that. After a few more hours of waiting, he finally came out of the school building. He was limping and is trying his hardest to climb up the school gates only to fall down on his back when he successfully did. I laugh at how pitifull he looks. 
 
"Follow him" i instructed the driver. "But dont be too obvious. We want this as a secret." I was very carefull, i even asked noel to bring a diffrent car with black tinted windows. I also asked him to park far from school so that i couldnt be seen stalking the boy.
He walks limply as he leans on the walls for support. He stops after every other step. I can see that he was breathing heavily judging from the mist that comes out of his mouth.
 
"What time is it?" I asked noel. 
"Its 10:47 sir, you should really go home now and eat dinner. We dont want your parents getting angry." 
 
"Let them." I answered. 
 
Sunggyu stopped walking and approached the house near him, his house.
He opened the door when suddenly, something fragile as glass was thrown at him. He immidiately avoids it but falls down. The door was then closed.
I immidiately got out of the car to get a closer look at what's happening. I peered in the window and saw him, being beaten up to death. I grabbed my phone and video-taped everything. 'They need to see this' that was the only thing in my head. 
 
There was blood coming out of his mouth and nose. He curls up into a ball while lying down to protect himself. But his actions were futile. 
 
'Is that his dad?' I thought to myself.
I saw a tear escape his eyes, but the man beating him up only became more violent and started landing more powerfull blows at him. He was punched everywhere and kicked everywhere. The man was yelling about something i cant quite get. The windows were shut tight afterall. 
Outside sounds peacefull, but inside, i can only imagine hell.
 
"S-stop . . " he muttered. I lip-read him. He was breathing heavily again. 
The violent man sat down near a table with bottles of suju. He said something again then, he threw a bottle just inches above sunggyu's head. Sunggyu covered his head but a shard must have scraped his wrist because it started bleeding. The man said something again, but sunggyu stood up while leaning against the walls for support and headed for the stairs. The man yelled again but he ignored it. 
 
I feel a painfull pang of guilt in my chest. I cant believe he gets these things from home and school. How does he even heal himself? Its like he's being killed . . . Slowly. 
 
I looked at my phone and pressed the 'stop' button and re-watched everything.
I felt a light tap on my shoulders. 
 
"Master, we need to go now." Said noel. "It's getting late and you still have school tomorrow." 
I nodded and immidiately went back to the car.
 
"Sir, you look quite pale. Is there something wrong?" Asked noel.
I took my phone with trembling hands and showed him what i took. 
I didnt look at his reaction, but i can feel him ghasp and have those pained expressions. He gave me back my phone and gently tapped my shoulder.
 
"Sir, is this why you followed him?" He asked.
 
I sighed. "I dont even know why i followed him."
 
Noel nodded. " even so sir, we need to help him. He could die the next time he goes home." 
 
"Yeah, i guess we should." 
 
The entire trip home was awfully quiet and long. 
I still couldnt shake the feeling of what sunggyu is expiriencing right now. But i hope, he's fine now. 
 
'Why am i even concerned?' I asked myself.
 
When we arrived at the mansion, i immidiately brisk-walked my way to the room. I opened my laptop with the authorization from seoul police database and began searching anything i can. Now, i can really feel the goodside of having such a powerfull dad. 
 
"I finally found you, yoo Sunny . . ."