Chapter 16

Silver Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Done, Minggki-ah~”, Bom happily chirped as she stepped back from me, makeup brush in hand. She turned my swiveling chair to face the vanity mirror and I gasped at the unfamiliar person staring back at in the mirror. That stranger was enchanting. Glistening skin. Alluring smoky eyes. Perfectly shaped lips. Intricate braids and delicate flowers were woven into her hair, giving her a dreamy aura. It took Minzy a while to register the fact that it was her. At that moment she realized she was no longer a child, but a woman. I poked my cheeks to make sure it was me and Bom giggled.

“Dara-chan~~ you’re up last!” I stepped off the chair and walked through the golden-laced curtain to the dressing area as Bom began working on her next masterpiece.

Bom, being the makeup lover in the group, had a whole hidden floor she called the beauty room. It was located on the uppermost floor, for better lighting, she once told us. A hidden door from her bedroom conveniently took her straight to it, which Bom loved for its secrecy. Indeed, the beauty room was pleasantly dreamlike. Lace and gold chiffon draped the walls, glimmering from the light that came in from the ceiling glass. Delicate string lights hung from the ceiling, and gold-dusted furniture accented the white-colored walls, making the place look refined. Silk lounging chairs bordered the white marble countertops, where huge oval-shaped mirrors sat, and where Bom was currently working on Dara. Myriads of drawers, with golden flower designs, were all currently open, displaying the arsenal that was Bom’s treasure. Row after row of name brand foundations, eye shadow palettes, powders, lipsticks, and countless of other things Minzy didn’t recognize littered the drawers. Piles of high quality makeup brushes, sponges, and mist sprays were laid on the countertop. It was enough to make a professional makeup artist cry out in excitement.

Leading on from the beauty room was the dressing area, beautifully lit by a line of spotlights. Gold and periwinkle curtains closed off the changing rooms, and a catwalk ran the length of the room. Another side entrance led you into Bom’s wardrobe closet. I walked past the endless rows of high-end clothing, took a right past the wall of footwear, and to the center of the spacious closet. Chaerin, already dressed and done with hair and makeup, seemed to be inspecting the gowns that were hanging from gold hangers. Hearing my footsteps, she turned to me with a smile on her lips. Minzy smiled back. She wore a red guipure and lace gown fully embroidered with silk threads, with an open back and a full pleated skirt.A delicate golden laurel leaf crown gleamed against her sleek blonde locks, shaping her perfect feline features. Her lips were painted a sophisticated red, and as she stood there, she held the aura of a natural born leader.

I shot a quick grin at her. “Kris will swoon when he sees you”.

Caught off guard, she momentarily blushed before proceeding to smack me on my arm. She lightly pushed me to the dressing room as she grabbed my dress off the hanger and handed it to me. “Your turn”.

As I held my dress in my hands, excitement coursed through my veins. It was celestial blue gown, with a deep-V neckline that flared out into a full skirt. Gorgeous flowers and leaves were embellished and delicately woven throughout the gown. The dress faintly glimmered in the light.

“They’re all beautiful”.

“Yes, they’ll match the theme perfectly”.

She closed the curtains, and I got to work. Minutes later I could hear chattering outside, and then the swishing of more curtains, which meant Dara and Bom had finished and were now getting dressed themselves. As quick as I could I slipped into my dress and heels, and then walked to the full-length mirror.

I look like a fairytale character.

I stepped out of the dressing room to see that Chaerin was waiting for me, holding a golden headpiece similar to what she was wearing. She walked up to me and placed it in my hair.

“We’re all wearing these to match”. She smiled and squeezed my shoulder. “Divine”.

Just then Dara came out of the dressing room, twirling whimsically as she hummed to a waltz. She wore a light lilac tulle lace gown that was fully embroidered with silk threads and pearls. She had a flowers woven in her hair, and as she danced she truly looked like an ethereal fairy. “A Midsummer Night's Dream! A perfect theme! Like a dream indeed~”.

I glanced at Bom who casually walked out of the dressing room behind Dara. She looked like a doll. Bom’s dress was a midnight blue long-sleeved fitted gown, with fully embroidered silk threads and sequins that glimmered like the stars.The dress hugged her curves from the top half but then flared out glamorously on the bottom. She was effortlessly phenomenal.

“That was quick unni”.

She flashed a grin. “I’m a pro, that’s why”. Chaerin proceeded to adorn their hair with the same golden hairpieces and then glanced at the clock on the wall.

7:53 pm.

“The limo’s waiting downstairs. We don’t want to be too late, right”. She winked.


 


 

Even before entering the grounds they could see it. Huge sky spotlights lit up the sky, announcing the grand spectacle going on tonight to the world. Their limo passed the entrance, stationed by security guards. They wound through the school’s buildings, heading out into the far side of the campus. There lay  the activities hall, where special events were held. The spiraling baroque architecture resembled a palace to Minzy, with it’s three wing symmetrical layout and french accent details. Well-kept gardens with fragrant flowers, gorgeous trees and many bushes decorated the outside of the palace.

From inside the limo,  the bright flashing of the cameras could already be seen. I glanced outside and saw the entrance being bombarded with photographers. As soon as someone stepped out their vehicle, the flashing would ensue, surely blinding the target. As we inched closer, the girls prepared themselves.

“I wonder if Exo arrived yet,” asked Dara, who was adjusting the strap on her heels.

“What do we do with them boss?,” Bom gestured to Chaerin, who was checking her makeup on small mirror. She frowned.

“It was plainly obvious they were hiding something from us yesterday.” She put the mirror down and smiled. “But tonight’s not a night to worry about that. Relax, and have fun.” She brought the mirror to her face again, checking herself for the fifth time.

“You nervous CL-roo?”, Bom asked with a smirk.

“I already see how this will play out”, I answered with a laugh.

“We should be telling you that as well”, Dara quipped. Chaerin giggled as I feigned ignorance, trying not to crack a smile. “I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

The limo made a complete stop, and the driver got out to open our door. As soon as we stepped out I was blinded with the flash. I hurriedly smiled and posed with Dara, Bom and Chaerin, and then made my way away from the photographers, and through the golden-oak twin doors.

A lovely waltz drifted down the tall marble hallways as we entered. I took in a deep breath, and was met with the scent of thousands of exotic flowers that covered the tables and the beautiful painting-lined walls. We walked on towards the sound of the music, and I held my breath in awe as we entered the ballroom, which was larger and more grand than all the other buildings at campus combined. It was lit row after row by glittering chandeliers, casting a sparkling light on all the beautifully dressed people. The room was full of masked dancing couples, swaying to the stunning music coming from a masked orchestra that was seated along the far wall. A table ran the length of the room, filled to the brim with appetizers and the biggest assortment of pastries she’d ever seen. The gowns, the jewels, the crystals dripping from the chandeliers, and even the floor beneath my feet seemed to sparkle, and I wondered if this was all a dream.

Chaerin, Bom, Dara and I made our way down the grand staircase and drifted through the crowd, grabbing the attention of everyone in attendance. I smiled at a caramel-haired boy and was surprised to see him blush. I turned to the girls and noticed they were already beginning to talk to people. Social butterflies, I thought and inwardly sighed. I watched as Chaerin moved with feline grace, a charmful presence that pulled everyone in. I had never been good at striking up a conversation as easily as they had. Men and women alike swarmed us, and I went along, smiling, nodding and bowing, making polite conversation while I tried to keep myself from scanning the crowd for Jongin.

Just then an outbreak of giggling and excited murmurings could be heard in the hall, and everyone turned to the grand staircase. Twelve men in sharp Armani suits made their entrance, momentarily stealing the attention. The crowd naturally parted as they made their way down. Although everyone wore masks, Minzy instantly knew that it was Exo, and she immediately spotted Jongin.

His tall and lean body strode with such confidence, dazzling everyone he walked past. His silver hair was combed back, and through the mask she could see his perfect almond-shaped eyes. For a moment she couldn’t believe he was hers tonight.

He strode up, grabbing the back of my hand softly and kissing it, effectively interrupting the men that were trying to ask her out.

“Excuse me gentlemen, but she’s mine”.

He took her in his arms and they walked away from the open-mouthed men.

“You look absolutely stunning Minji”.

“You could’ve let them finish you know”.

“Didn’t you see the way they were looking at you? I could see it all the way from the entrance. They were like hungry wolves waiting to pounce on you. It drove me mad.”

Her heart did a flip at those words. She turned to find all of Exo and 2ne1 together already. Kris twirled Chaerin and kissed her hand in complete affection. A huge crowd surrounded them, and all eyes were on them. I couldn’t blame them. We looked like royalty.

“Did you like our entrance noona?’, Sehun asked Bom as he snickered frivolously. Baekhyun joined in. “I mean, who wouldn’t stop and stare?”

“You guys are so full of it… I love it”, Bom laughed.

Suho stepped forward. “You four look drop-dead gorgeous tonight. No wonder all the guys were all over you when we came in.” Chen chimed in. “Good thing we’re here now.”

Everyone chuckled but Jongin pulled me in closer. D.O noticed and smirked.

“Better be careful Jongin, or someone might just snatch her away”. Everyone laughed.

Just before he could give a snide remark the orchestra began a new number and everyone began moving to the dance floor. Kris took Chaerin’s hand and were already in their own world as they made their way to the center. Everyone suddenly grabbed a partner and disappeared in the crowd. I looked at Jongin and gave me a look that I clearly understood. I gladly nodded.

He grinned and pulled me along, walking through countless masked people until he found a spot among the other weaving bodies. The symphony was lively, the lilting rhythm of the music impossible to resist. Everyone danced in unison and the room pulsed with energy. I saw Dara being bombarded by men, all wanting to dance with her. Lay, Luhan, and a slightly nervous Chanyeol came to her rescue and she stuck with them. It was also the same with Bom. Sehun Baekhyun were her partners, Xiumin, but after a while she sought out the food with Xiumin. Kris and Chaerin stayed to themselves most of the time, except when Tao would whisk her away laughing haughtily. All of Exo took turns dancing with 2ne1, to Jongin’s dismay. I would finish a circle with Jongin when Suho would barge in politely. One minute later Chen would intervene and happily dance with me. After Chen he grabbed hold of me, and just when he thought he could finally have me, D.O would turn up and sneering evilly, take me away.

“You seem to like testing him don’t you”.

“He needs to learn to share”, he answered with a playful gleam in his eyes. Even then I couldn’t help but laugh and dance along with him. Two minutes later he was back, and smacked D.O’s hand away from my waist.

“Such a beautiful date Jongin, you can’t expect me to not want to dance with her”. Turning to me, he winked. “See you later.” He walked off and Jongin shook his head in vexation. I laughed and brushed a strand of hair from his face.

“Care to dance, my date?”

He smiled and taking me hand, twirled me around. He leaned in close to my ear and whispered softly. “You’re mine tonight”.

After a while we took a break and munched on the appetizers. From a distance Minzy could see Bom practically in heaven, delightfully enjoying the food with Xiumin and the others. It wasn’t until they reached them they could see why. Stuffed mushrooms, crab puffs, baked artichoke squares with sun dried tomato pesto, avocados wrapped in prosciutto, gourmet cheeses served with water crackers, spiced walnuts and caviar with toast points were among the many delicacies served tonight. In the center lay a chocolate fountain, where cubes of cake with strawberries lay on the side. While Kai tried the baked artichoke and cheese, I focused on the sweets and instantly took a liking to the dark chocolate truffles. I grabbed one and walked to him.

“Taste these they’re sweet.” He opened his mouth and I fed him. He smiled.

“Mmhm. They’re good, but not as sweet as you.” He winked and I pretended to ignore him, which earned a laugh from him.

We spent most of the night dancing, since it was the only thing we both loved to do. We spun, floating and twirling under the sparkling floor. He dipped me over his arms and as he pulled me close to him everything seemed a little more dazzling. Brilliant. Breathtaking. It felt like truly being alive. Just as we inched closer the music ended and group of people seemed to be walking to us. It wasn’t until they got closer that we realized it was our members.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter