Chapter 13 (Hurt)

♥ The One ♥

 

The cubicle door creaked open as I peered outside.

 

I was surprised to see a tall guy, dressed up in a tux and was wearing a mask, standing outside the cubicle.

 

Wiping my tears with the back of my hand, I asked, "Who are you? What are you doing in here?"

 

"Come on, let's go outside. You've seen enough" He said, his voice even raspier and tugged at my hand as he led me out of the school building.

 

I don't know who this guy was but I didn't care. I just wanted to get out of this horrible horrible place.

 

He sat me down on a bench by the football field in our school.

 

I realized it was already dark. How long had I been crying in there?

 

"Alexa, don't cry anymore please. It really hurts me seeing you like this."

 

He knows my name?! 

 

"Who are you?"

 

He looked down and heaved a sigh. I watched as his fingers slowly reached around the back of his head and untied the knot of his mask.

 

As the mask slipped off, my heart palpitated crazily, anticipating the identity of this guy.

 

"Kyung?" I gasped.

 

Kyung managed a sad smile.

 

"Oh Kyung……."  I muttered, fighting back my tears.

 

Tears brimmed my reddened eyes once again. Misery was written all over my face.

 

I buried my head in his chest, seeking comfort. He wrapped his arms around me.

 

"I saw everything Alexa."

 

I cried even harder.

 

"My heart broke as much as yours did when you saw… that jerk."

 

"But I thought  you couldn't make it."

 

"I'm terribly sick Alexa. As you can see. and hear." Indeed, he looked pale and his voice was so raspy, even I couldn't recognize it.

 

"But how could I miss the opportunity to see you, in that pretty dress on prom night? You look so beautiful."

 

"We could have gone together you know"

 

"I wanted to. So badly. But you were… his date."

 

"Do you know how much you have hurt me, Alexa?"

 

"What?" I was taken aback.

 

"You hurt me so much from the beginning."

 

"The beginning?"

 

"The day you told me Pyo invited you out. I knew it. I knew it right there and then. I lost my chance. I lost you."

 

"You looked so happy Alexa. I tried to be just as happy for you but deep inside," He paused, tapping his chest.

 

"It hurt me so much."

 

He looked down.

 

"What are you talking about?"

 

He laughed.

 

"Aishhh Alexa, can't you see? I thought I was being obvious enough."

 

He laughed once again, sadly.

 

He then unwrapped his arms from me and cupped my chin, lifting it up.

 

He was staring at me. At my tear-stained face. At the mascara that was smeared all over my face.

 

"What is it Kyung?" I asked.

 

"I like you, Alexa. No, I love you."

 

He then let go of me and turned away.

 

"I…I… I loved you ever since we first met back at drawing class as kids. Of course, I was too young to even know what love is. But you make my heart beat crazily every time I set eyes on you and even when I'm near you. You're not like the other girls, Alexa. And I'm not saying this just because everyone else is. I swear, you're not like them. In what way? I don't know Alexa. I don't know the words to describe you. You're so special to me. So special, I'm lost for words. Why do you think I've been sticking with you all these years and not having any close guy friends? It's because of you that people think I'm gay."

 

He chuckled sadly.

 

" I've always thought we would be together till the end, that we would stay as close as this forever and that nothing would ever come between us. But that day, when you came running at me, telling me that…guy asked you out, it was like a wake up call… that was when I realized I loved you and I didn't want to lose you. I didn't want to share you with anyone else. I didn't want you.. to leave me."

 

His head lowered.

 

"At first I was confused with myself. I've never acknowledged the fact that I..love you. I thought hard about what I feel about you and my heart…my heart… it ached so bad. And then, I was so angry with myself. I could do nothing even though that… guy was taking you away from me. Well, I couldn't possibly blurt out that I have feelings for you could I? You would have freaked out and left me alone completely."

 

 

"What more… you should have seen your face whenever you talk about him or whenever he was around. You looked so happy, and I didn't want to be the guy that ruined everything. So I tried to convince myself that this feeling I have for you is just temporary..."

 

He shoulders slumped.

 

"But the heart never lies…" His voice trailed off.

 

I heard him take in a deep breath and he finally turned around to face me.

 

" I love you, Alexa." He whispered.

 

Kyung's eyes were brimmed with tears.

 

I couldn't hold mine back any longer and soon tears streamed out of my eyes. My heart felt like thousands of knives were embedded into it. Each and every word that he said, kept replaying in my mind.

 

I looked up at him.

 

"Kyung, I…" But I couldn't finish my sentence.

 

Kyung pressed his finger against my lips.

 

"It's okay, you don't have to say anything… " His voice cracked.

 

Everything hurt.

 

Everything was a mess.

 

I laid my head on Kyung's lap as I cried my eyes out.

 

I thought about how I wanted this night to be the best night of my life but look at me now.

 

Here I am lying on Kyung's lap, bawling, because I found out that Pyo had cheated on me and that my best friend loves me more than he actually should.

 

And as Kyung my hair, and I, staining his trousers with my tears, I felt a single droplet of water fall onto my face. 

 

I looked up to realize, it was Kyung's tears.