Chapter 2

The Library Regular

 

 

The next morning, you walk into the elevator. As the doors were about to close, a person ran up to the doors, holding them open. You looked up at him with surprise. His big eyes grew even bigger as he looked at you. You looked away from his gaze as he stepped into the elevator.

 

“Uh, third floor right?” you ask, already pressing the button with the number “3” on it.

 

He didn’t say anything, so you looked over to him, questioningly. He looked up at you with those same confused eyes.

 

“What?” he asked.

 

You pointed to the buttons with the floor numbers on there.

 

“Floor?” you ask.

 

He looked over at the lit up number and nodded.

 

The elevator made a beep, alerting the arrival to the floor. The doors opened and you waited for him to move. He lifted his arm, signaling you to step off first. You gave a quiet “thanks” and quickly moved out of the elevator. As you walked to your usual table, his soft footsteps could be heard from behind.

 

You sat down and opened up your laptop. Then, suddenly your phone begins to sing loudly:

 

“I’m a Barbie girl, in a Barbie world. Life is --” You fumble around your belongings until you found your phone. You quickly shut it off. “Damn it, Park Chanyeol!” you silently curse, as you drop your head to the table. You peeked over at the table across the room. “He’s still looking at his book. Oh, thank goodness,” you thought and wondered who texted you, anyway. Lifting up the obnoxious piece of technology, you change the tone to vibrate and look at the text message.

 

Ellie: Hey gull~ Whatcha doing?! :D

 

You decided to text back:

 

“OMFG. Do you know what you just did!?!!? T_T”

 

bzzzt.

 

Ellie: O: what??

 

You: Chanyeol changed my text tone to barbie girl. and you texted me. im in the library -.-

 

Ellie: PWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA :D

 

You: -.-

 

Ellie: hehe. so anyway. you wanna study for bio tmr? Me and lulu are gunna study together.

 

You: …so you mean ima be a third wheel?

 

Ellie: what?? no... we’re not even together. JUST study buddies. Dx come and join us tmr :D okay? heheh barbie gull~

 

You: -.-

 

You sigh and go back to your biology book. You look over to the guy’s table and notice that he is also looking through the biology book. “Oh... he has biology, too. I wonder if he’s in our class,” you thought.




 

It was the next day and you were walking to your normal table in the library when you noticed that all the tables were vacant. “He’s not here today...” you absently thought. Shaking away your disappointment, you make your way to your usual table to continue your studying.

 

About half an hour passed and you were absorbed in your textbook, reading about bacteria, when you heard footsteps coming towards you. You look up immediately and notice a boy walking to a different table. You sigh. “He’s really not here today...”

 

Hours passed while you were studying, and the library boy never showed up. Then, your phone began to vibrate, so you picked it up, “Hello?” you whispered.

 

“Hey, are you on your way over yet?”

 

“Uh.. what?” you answered, confused.

 

“We’re studying right now... where are you?”

 

“Oh. I’m at the library. I’ll go over there right now. Wait, your place right? Not Luhan’s?” you question, with a teasing tone.

 

“Yeah, my place. Of course not Luhan’s, what the heck. Oh, by the way, someone’s going to be joining us.”

 

“Oh, who?”

 

“Um, I forgot his name... starts with a K...? Or was it S? Bleh. I don’t remember. He’s Luhan’s friend,” Ellie answered with an unconcerned tone.

 

You chuckled at her behavior and told her that you’d be there soon.




 

Ding Dong.

 

You shifted your weight from one foot to the other, waiting for Ellie to open her door. Finally, the door opened to reveal Luhan.

 

He smiled at you and said, “Hey! We just started.”

 

You nod as you walk into the apartment. Slipping your shoes off near the door, you take off your backpack and say “Hi” to Ellie. You were going to sit down at the table in the middle of the living room when you noticed a stranger sitting in one of the chairs. You hesitate over to a seat next to Ellie, across from the stranger. You look at him and then at Ellie. She looks back at you, questioningly. You raise your eyebrow and intensify your gaze at her. She shifts her eyes towards Luhan and shrugs. You hear her begin to ask Luhan about one of the practice problems. You sigh at her oblivious behavior and turn back to the stranger. He looks back at you and smiles. You smile back and give a little wave, “Hi.”

 

“Oh!”

 

Everyone turns their attention to Ellie.

 

“Kris, this is  _______. _______, this is Kris. Remember when I told you about him when I was in that engineering class? Well, he’s in my bio lab, and he decided to join us when I told him we were studying today.” she finally states, “Whoops, forgot to introduce you guys.”

 

You take an extra long glance at him. “Oh, so this must be that one tall guy she talked about.. the one she met before Luhan,” you thought in your head.

 

Suddenly, a figure walks into the room from the hallway. You look up to see who it was. You freeze immediately, eyes widening. The person’s eyes also widen dramatically as he stares back at you. “What’s he doing here. What....” your thoughts whirl around in your head, completely confusing you.

 

“Oh, this is Kyungsoo, Luhan’s friend. He was just using the bathroom,” Ellie explains.

 

There is a small pause. You don’t notice Ellie’s eyebrow raised at the both of your peculiar behavior. You blink many times and mentally shake away your thoughts.

 

“Hi. I’m _____,” you say as you reach your hand out to him, giving him a small smile.

 

He continues to stare at you with his large eyes for another few seconds before bringing his hand to yours, shaking it.