Chapter 3

The Library Regular

 

 

There was a few moments of awkward silence as you sat at the table, surrounded by your friend, her should-be-but-not-really boyfriend, and two strangers. You flipped through your notebook aimlessly, trying to avoid another awkward pause. From the side, you could hear Ellie and Luhan whispering quietly to each other.

 

You looked up when you heard a loud cough.

 

“So, did you guys, um, print out the practice test?” Kris asked.

 

“Oh, yeah I printed a copy of it,” you remembered. You dug into your backpack for your binder. Flipping through the pile of worksheets and miscellaneous papers, you finally found the practice midterm that you had printed a while ago.

 

“The professor uploaded a practice midterm?” Ellie asked, confusion spread across her face.

 

“Yeah,” you say, handing your practice midterm to Ellie. She takes it, and flips through the stapled papers.

 

“Did you know about it?” you hear her ask Luhan.

 

“Yeah, I thought you checked.”

 

“NO! Well thanks for the info!” Ellie exasperated.

 

Luhan scratches the back of his head. “Whoops. Sorry,” he pleas, giving Ellie an apologetic smile. She pouts in return.

 

“Too late, I guess I’ll just look on with you. So, Kyungsoo, do you have a practice test, too?”

 

He looks up at Ellie with the same wide-eyed expression. He looks around, as if he was confused. Ellie continues her stare until he hesitantly nods, lifting up his own copy of the practice.

 

“I see, so everyone knew about it, but me.” With a sigh, she finally gives up.

 

“I guess you can look at Luhan’s copy. Why don’t we start with number one,” Kris’ deep voice suggests.

 

“I think we should just each do the number on our own and then check back with each other. I think it’s easier that way,” you state.

 

Everyone nods at your suggestion and starts flipping through the practice.

 

 

After four hours of intense studying, you notice Kris looking at his watch. He slowly flips his notebooks closed and states, “Alright guys, I got to go home now. It’s getting pretty late. It was nice studying with you guys.”

 

Everyone nods, in understanding. Kris packs all of his things, and heads toward the door, with Luhan. Everyone waves goodbye as Luhan closes the door and locks it.

 

“I guess I should go, too. I have to study for my chem midterm this Friday,” Kyungsoo states, putting his belongings away.

 

“Oh, you have the chem midterm Friday, too? Wait, who do you have for chem?” you ask, curiously.

 

“I have Professor Cho,” he says.

 

“Really? Me too! I swear he’s like the worst and the best professor. He doesn’t even teach us anything, but he makes the lectures pretty fun when he trolls the students,” you exclaim.

 

“Wow, maybe you guys should study for chem next time,” Ellie insists.

 

“Oh, that’d be nice. Are.. are you busy on Thursday?” Kyungsoo asks, shyly, looking directly at you.

 

“Oh, um. Probably not,” you answer hesitantly.

 

“Great! You guys should exchange numbers and then sort it out later!” Ellie exclaims, eagerly waiting for you both to exchange numbers.

 

“Uh. You want me to call you? Or, do you want to call me?” you question, holding up your cell phone.

 

You watch him take out his own cell phone. “Uh, whichever.”

 

You both fumble around with your cellphones, confused as to who should call who.

 

“Oh gosh guys, ________ just tell him your number, so he could save it. And, then he could call you and you can save his number,” Ellie states, eyes rolling dramatically. You hear her mumble something about blushing newlyweds. You immediately shoot her your famous “stink-eye” look. You turn back to Kyungsoo and recite your number by heart. Once your numbers are locked into your phones, he waves his goodbyes and leaves. Ellie commands Luhan to go lock the door, once again. You swear they were already married or something.

 

Once you are sure that he’s away from listening distance, you glare at Ellie.

 

“What the hell was that all about?!”

 

She gives you a nonchalant look. “I think I should be asking the same thing to you,” she accuses.

 

You express a dramatic gasp, holding your chest. “What do you mean?”

 

“Oh don’t give me that crap. So, you know kyungsoo hmmm?” she states, more than asks, “how, where, and when?!”

 

“What? I don’t know what you’re talking about. I’ve never met him before,” you say, technically you were telling the truth. You never really introduced yourselves before.

 

“Lies... tell me now!”

 

You continue to ignore her as she harrasses you with more and more questions. She finally stops when Luhan comes back.

 

“What are you girls talking about?” he asks, looking between Ellie and you, eyebrow raised.

 

Ellie immediately shuts up, and shoots you a “we-will-continue-this-later” look.

 

“Nothing,” she says, giving a suspicious grin toward Luhan, who seems to drop the topic with a shrug.

 

“What took you so long anyway?” she asks.

 

You drown out the lovely-dovey couple’s conversation as you pack your things. After packing everything, you walk towards the door.

 

“Bye guys. Luhan lock the door!” you state, before opening the door and walking out. You heard Luhan’s groan before you closed the door behind you.

 

 

It was already dark outside when you left. You trek back to your own apartment, thanking Chensus that you lived close. You were already walking up the stairwell to your front door when you felt your phone vibrate. You take it out and looked at name on the phone: Kyungsoo. You almost squealed aloud. “Why’s he texting me already? What do I do?” you ask yourself. Opening the message, you read:

 

Kyungsoo: Hey ________! So, I was thinking, since... we always see each other at the library, why don’t we study there at 9 on Thursday?

 

Another vibrate sounded.

 

Kyungsoo: I mean.. unless you want to study at the different time.. or at a different place. I’m cool with that too...

 

A smile permanently plastered itself on your face. “He’s so cute,” you thought.

 

You: Sure, Thursday morning at 9 is fine. Lol. The library is also good with me.

 

A few second later, your phone vibrates again.

 

Kyungsoo: Okay! Great. I’ll see you then. ^^

 

You almost squeal again. After composing yourself, you type an “Okay! :D” and sent it.

 

A grin was still plastered on your face when you walked through the door of your apartment.

 

“What’s up with you?” your housemate, Amber, asks curiously from the kitchen.

 

“Huh? What?” you look up from where you set your stuff down on the couch.

 

“The giant smile. You look like Chanyeol. Stop it. We don’t need two of them in this house.”

 

You frown at her statement, “What are you talking ab--”

 

“Who called my name?” you hear a deep, booming voice exclaim from the hallway.

 

You immediately turn to the golden-brown haired male walking into the room. You are suddenly reminded of his “little” prank the other day. You stomp over to him and slap him on the arm. “Ow!” he flinches and rubs at his arm, giving you a pout.

 

“You ! Where the hell were you last night! I didn’t even get to yell at you for that stunt that you pulled the other day!” you yell.

 

He seems to finally understand, and bursts into a bountiful laugh, clutching his stomach with one hand and slapping his thighs with the other. You glare at his reaction, and turn around, stomping back into the kitchen. You ignore Amber’s confused, yet curious stare at the scene.

 

“So... what happened with him?” Amber asks quietly.

 

You make an indignant huff. “That bastard changed my ringtone to Barbie Girl and it rang in the library!” Amber’s eyebrow raises and chuckles lightly. “I see.”

 

The distant laughter increases in volume. “Oh shut up already!” you shout.

 

The giant walks into the kitchen, finally calm, while wiping away some stray tears from his eyes.

 

“So, anyway what were you guys talking about before that fiasco,” he asks.

 

“Oh. I was saying how ________ looked really creepy when she came back. All grinning and staring at her phone. Kind of scared me. We seriously do NOT need another you,” Amber explains to Chanyeol.

 

“What?! I was not creepily looking at my phone!” you object.

 

Chanyeol stares at you questioningly, eyebrows raised. Before you could make a snide comment, your phone vibrates again. You look at the screen and see that it’s from Kyungsoo. You try to control your face, looking back up, and ignoring the text.

 

“You’re not going to answer that?” Chanyeol asks, eyes narrowing at you suspiciously.

 

“Oh, it’s fine. It’s just someone from class. We’re going to study on Thursday for our Chem test,” you state, trying to hide your nervousness.

 

“But, I didn’t ask who--”

 

“Well, look at the time. Getting late. Better go shower!” you say, and rush toward your room, closing and locking the door. “Whew, that was close.”

 

You take out your phone to check the message.

 

Kyungsoo: Sorry if I’m bothering you, but I was just wondering if you wanted me to bring the book on Thursday. So.. then.. you don’t have to bring it.. Its kind of heavy and all.

 

You laugh quietly to yourself. “Why’s he such an awkward turtle?” you wondered.

 

You: That would be nice! Thanks! Anyway, I have to go sleep now. Night :]

 

Kyungsoo: Okay. Yeah, no problem. Good night! Have sweet dreams. ^^


That night, the smile never left your face, as you fell asleep.