Chapter 4

The Library Regular





It was finally Thursday morning. You woke up at 8:20 to get ready. You decide that you should probably eat something before heading out. You look at the clock. “Hm.. it will probably take me about fifteen minutes to get to the library. Maybe I can make a sandwich,” you think.

 

You open your cupboard and grab your loaf of pre-sliced bread. Wheat, because, hey, it’s college and you really should be eating more healthily. You make yourself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

 

“Why are you awake so early?” you heard a deep voice ask. You jump at the sound, clutching your chest.

 

“Don’t do that! Geez,” you huff. “I’m going to study with a friend of mine.”

 

“Oh, I see. Not Ellie?”

 

You shake your head, “He’s a friend of Ellie’s and Luhan’s. I met him when we were studying bio the other day.”

 

“Ohhh, your little study date. It’s today?” he snickers.

 

“No! It’s just studying!” you interject.

 

After taking the last bite of your sandwich, you look at your phone for the time. It blinked: 8:48. “Shoot I’m going to be late!” you yelled. You grabbed your things and waved a bye to Chanyeol as you stepped outside. It was actually quite windy, and your shoulder-length hair was blowing across your face as you sped-walk to campus.

 

You were halfway there when you felt your phone vibrate.

 

Kyungsoo: Morning! Are you on your way? I’m already on the third floor.

 

You: Good morning to you too! Yeah, I’m running a little late, but I’ll be there in 5 mins.

 

You speed walk the rest of the way and end up getting there at 9:04. You walk to the elevator and press the up arrow. Just as you were about to press the “3”, a tall boy with dark red hair and a boy with similar height, and a colorful snapback covering his bleached blonde hair, stepped in. The blonde pressed the “2” and you hear the redhead grumble, “It’s supposed to be the 4th floor.” He proceeds to press the “4.”

 

You continuously look at your phone. “Damn it. I’m really late,” you sigh, as the elevator opens at the 2nd floor. You look over at the two. The redhead gives an apologetic sigh, while the blonde looks like he’s glaring at the wall. You immediately turn your eyes back to your phone. When the doors finally open for the third floor, you get off quickly, avoiding the stares that the two males were giving you.

 

You walk over to the usual tables, and see Kyungsoo already starting to study.

 

“Hey,” you say as you take the seat next to him. He looks up and gives you a bright smile, moving some of the items to make room for you.

 

“Hi.”

 

You smile back at him. “So, what are you doing right now? The practice midterm?” you ask.

 

He nods and goes back to looking at his test.

 

“It’s the first one that he posted.”

 

You reach into your backpack to grab all the necessities. Once you have your practice midterm out, you read the first question in your head.

 

“So, you already did all of the questions?” you ask.

 

“Oh, no. I just barely got here, so I was just looking at the first few questions,” he explains.

 

You nod at him and suggest, “So, do you wanna just do the write-out calculation questions first?”

 

“Sure.”

 

You both turn to the second page of the practice exam and begin working out the problems together. As you write down the first part of the calculations, a strand of hair flies over your face. You try to push it to the side, but it continues to move back in your way. You give a huff. “Stupid wind earlier” you blame. You put your pencil down, causing Kyungsoo to look over at you. You don’t really notice because you are too preoccupied by straightening your hair and making it stay to the side. Once you are sure that it won’t move again, you turn back to your test.

 

You hear a light chuckle and you turn to look at Kyungsoo.

 

“What?”

 

“Nothing.” He continues to giggle into his hand. He suddenly stops. You look at him, and he seems to be concentrated on something in your hair. Before you can even ask, he reaches his hand over and pulls something from your hair. You widen your eyes at him and flinch away.

 

He holds out a dried leaf, “Sorry, it was in your hair.”

 

“Oh. Thanks,” you say as you pat down your hair. You turn to your test to continue the problem you were working on before.

 

After finishing the first test, you deem that you both should be rewarded with a little break. However, an uncomfortable silence was in the air. You rack your brain to think of something to talk about, anything to stop this awkward silence.

 

“So, Kyungsoo, what’s your major anyway?” you ask.

 

“PsychoBio. I’m going into pre-med,” he states casually, “You?”

 

“I’m a Biochem major. I’m actually going into pre-med, too,” you answer.

 

After more miscellaneous conversations, you both continue the practice exams. It was around 2:30, when your stomach decided that you needed food. It’s demand, loud and clear, was a stretched out groan. You give a weak smile, embarrassed, as Kyungsoo stares at you.

 

“Well, I guess we should get something to eat,” Kyungsoo exclaims.

 

You both pack up your things and head to the nearest sandwich shop. It actually wasn’t very crowded, so you both decide to finish studying there after eating. Finishing up the last practice, it was already around 8:30. The sun already set, so the darkness flooded the streets as you both walked out of the late-night sandwich shop.

 

“You live near Ellie right?” he asks, curiously.

 

You nod, “yeah, why?”

 

“I’ll walk with you. It’s dark and we’re quite a ways from the apartment complex.”

 

You stare at him and insist, “It’s okay. Really. It’s not that far.”

 

He shakes his head, determined to walk you back. You sigh in defeat. You both casually chat as he walks you to your door.

 

“Okay. Bye. It was nice studying with you today,” he states.

 

“Yeah, thanks for walking me back too.”

 

You both exchange a smile and he turns to leave. Just as he walks down the stairs, you hear another pair of footsteps walking up the stairs. You peer over the stairwell to see Chanyeol staring at the figure walking away.

 

“Hey, where’d you go, just coming home now?” you call to get his attention. He turns to you and raises an eyebrow.

 

“Who was that? Your lil date?” he asks, a smirk formed across his face.

 

You roll your eyes. “Yes. Now would you just get your in the house already?”


His face goes blank for a few seconds, surprised by your answer. Did you just admit that he was your date? His lips tighten into a straight line. He walks past you as you hold the door open for him. After locking the door, you turn around to see that Chanyeol had already disappeared, probably to his room or something. “What’s wrong with him?” you thought.