Chapter 6

The Library Regular

 

 

You pull out your phone and type out a message to Ellie.

 

You: OMG. Chanyeols being a again! He freaking embarrassed me in front of Kyungsoo!

 

Ellie: o_o whut? what happened? Wait.. is he doing that “troll ______ by scaring all of _______’s friends” thing again?.

 

You: I think he is... D:<

 

Ellie: Hahahah I remember when he did that to me. ahh.. good times.. I wonder why he does it anyway?

 

You: well he only gave up because you knew me longer and MAYBE cuz u freaking slapped his arm until it bruised. -.-

 

You: I don’t even know! probably because hes the devil’s spawn! -.-

 

Ellie: WHUT? me? nuh uh! if anything, it was his bony arm that bruised my hand! hmph. he deserved it anyway. Or it could be that he doesnt want anyone to take away his precious ______ ;D

 

You: uh. no. okay... -.-  So anyway... hes doing that again.

 

Ellie: lol. So... what exactly happened?

 

You: I was sitting next to kyungsoo and he came over and hugged me! Well.. technically, i guess he didn’t really hug me, more like pulled me close to him. But whatever. You know i hate people touching me! And i probably looked like a retard struggling to get out of that trolls grip D: how embarrassing. -.-

 

Ellie: ...ic... well whatever. im sure he’ll give up soon enough. :D cuz im pretty sure cutie kyunggies gunna be staying with us long time <3

 

You: uh.. not if u scare him away... with your weird nicknames. and… Kyungie? When on earth did you come up with that one. what happened to your LUHAN!?

 

Ellie: hahahaha. luhans just a friend :) anyway! you wanna go eat dinner at that new burger place downtown with us tmr night?

 

You: JUST A FRIEND MY !! so i could third wheel again? -.- i have my chem midterm till 6.

 

Ellie: OHHH perfect. you can come after your midterm. oooh if you dont want to be a third wheel, bring kyunggie along! ;D

 

You: -.- I dunno. We’ll see.





- - - - 
You sit on the ground outside the lecture hall, back propped up against the wall. With an earbud in one ear, you continuously flip through your notes, trying to memorize every formula before the exam. Suddenly, you see a shadow of a figure moving next to you in the corner of your eye. You turn to look to your left and you see Kyungsoo sitting down next to you. When he finally notices you looking at him, he turns to you with a bright smile. You wave to him and pull out the earbud.


 

“Hey.”

 

“Still looking over the formula sheet?”

 

“Yeah, there’s just so many,” you sigh, “Did you memorize them already?”

 

He gives a nod as an answer and leans his head against the wall.

 

“So, are you ready for the test then?” you ask.

 

“I guess, I studied a lot last night.”

 

“I see.”


 

A stray thought wiggles itself into your mind, reminding you to ask Kyungsoo if he wanted to go out to dinner with you guys. You curse your inner self for even remembering because it’s really awkward, especially after what happened the other night. You begin to think, “Maybe he’s busy, so he probably can’t go. Or, maybe he’s totally weirded out that --”

 

“So, are you doing anything after the exam?”

 

“What?” Your face goes blank, eyes widening with shock.

 

“Well, Luhan invited me to eat dinner with him and Ellie later, and I really didn’t want to third wheel, so would you like to go with me?” he asks shyly.

 

“Wow.” You are in complete shock. You can’t help but think that this might have been a set-up.

 

“So... is that a..?”

 

You gather yourself from the shock and answer, “Oh, yeah. Sure, actually, Ellie asked me the same thing.”

 

“Really? Well, that’s interesting,” he said, skeptically.

 

You shrug and ask, “So, you want to meet here after the exam? Then we can head downtown together?”


 

The professor arrives with the exams and you all pile into the lecture hall, Kyungsoo takes the seat next to you and whispers a small, “Good Luck!” You whisper back a “you too,” and everyone begins their exams.



- - -

You handed in your exam and stepped outside the hall.

 

“Had a hard time?”

 

You look in front of you to see Kyungsoo with a slight smirk on his face. You groan aloud.

 

“That was so hard!”

 

Kyungsoo chuckles lightly. “It wasn’t that bad. I’m sure you did fine,” he says, while checking his watch, “Come on, we’re going to be late if we don’t catch the bus.”


 

You silently, dragging your feet, walk beside Kyungsoo to the bus stop. You really didn’t feel like doing anything after taking that exam. It was extremely difficult and you barely had enough time to finish. And, here, perfect Kyungsoo probably got an A+ and finished the exam with extra time. You’d be lying if you said you weren’t jealous of this smart and handsome person standing to your right. You sigh aloud. Well, the good thing was that you got to stuff your face with delicious food and forget all about the exam.  

 

“_______ ??”


 

You break away from your sulking thoughts after realizing Kyungsoo had called your name. You were already sitting in the bus; Kyungsoo sitting next to you. “Wow, you really need to stop thinking to yourself,” you reprimanded yourself.

 

“What? Sorry, I didn’t hear. I’m a little drained after the exam,” you said.

 

“Oh. I was just asking, is Chanyeol your boyfriend?”

 

You immediately choke on your spit, eyes possibly growing larger than Kyungsoo’s. You cough loudly, continuously thinking that you might have heard wrong. Everyone, albeit few, stared at you as you continued to cough. Kyungsoo softly pats your back, watching you with worried eyes. Once you have calmed down with a clearing of the throat, you ask Kyungsoo to repeat his previous question.

 

“Chanyeol. Is he your boyfriend or something?” he asks.

 

“No. What the hell. Where’d you even get that idea? He’s like a brother to me,” you say flabbergasted.

 

“Oh. I see. Can I ask why is he living with you?” he curiously asks. “That’s if you don’t mind telling me,” he hesitantly continues.

 

You give him a small smile and begin to explain: “Well, you see, he actually lived there before me. He was a freshman when he moved in with my brother. And I moved in last year, right when my brother graduated, so I took over his room. I met him while I was visiting my brother occasionally before coming here, and when I moved in, we got really close. He just likes to tease me a lot. I swear he’s really nice. Just, sometimes, he’s a little awkward the first few times when you’re getting to know him.”

 

Kyungsoo nods in understanding, but asks another question, “So, why didn’t you live with Ellie? Isn’t she like your best friend?”

 

“Oh. Yeah, she wanted to live in the dorms. And, my brother was moving out so he decided to just give me the room. It’s much cheaper than living in the dorms anyway,” you explained.

 

Just when the both of you were about to get off the bus, your phone vibrates from your jacket pocket. You take out your phone see that Ellie texted you:

 

Ellie: Hey are you on your way?

 

You: Yeah. Me and Kyungsoo are practically outside the restaurant. Are you guys here already?

 

Ellie: Uh.. no actually. Can you get a table for us? We’re running a little.. late.

 

You: k

 

“So, that was Ellie just now. She says that we should get a table. They’re late I guess,” you explain the situation to Kyungsoo as he nods.


 

The waiter takes us to the table for four. You sit in the inner seat, by the wall and Kyungsoo sits down in front of you. You check your phone for the time.

 

“I wonder how long they will take,” you wonder aloud, just as you hear your phone vibrate.

 

Ellie: Heyyyyyyy. So.... we can’t make it. :D Have fun on your little date, you two! ;D kukukuk.

 

You: WHAT!? YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME. YOU BETTER GET YOUR OVER HERE ASAP!

 

You type furiously into your phone, fully expressing your anger. Upon seeing your reaction, Kyungsoo speaks up.

 

“They aren’t coming are they?” he asks solemnly. “I knew something was up when you said that Ellie asked you the same thing. It was probably an evil scheme made between the two,” he continues, knowingly.

 

You look at him in shock. “You’ve got to be kidding me,” you groan, rolling your eyes.  


 

As if prompted by the devil, loud and obnoxious laughter erupts from the doorway of the restaurant. You both look over to the door and see that it’s Ellie and Luhan, clutching their stomachs and laughing breathlessly. You roll your eyes as you turn forward, noticing Kyungsoo’s eyebrows furrow.

 

The giggling couple sauntered to the table.

 

“Gosh, you should have seen your faces,” Ellie bursts, “Too funny.”

 

This, in turn, prompts Luhan to giggle some more, unable to contain his laughter. He grabs onto the chair next to yours to stable himself. You and Kyungsoo have a monotonous expression pasted on your faces, waiting for the two to calm down.

 

Once Luhan and Ellie stop laughing and wipe away their stray tears, they sit down next to you and Kyungsoo respectively.

 

“So, how was the exam?” Ellie asks.

 

“I actually thought it was okay, but it didn’t seem like ______ had the same fate,” Kyungsoo says, snickering a little as you groan.

 

“It was horrible!” you exclaim. Before you get to continue your rant, a handsome young man stalks up to your table. His uniform was wrinkle-free, his dark red hair gelled up slightly, and he had on polite smile across his face.

 

“Good evening, I’m Suho and I’ll be your waiter tonight. So, what can I get you guys this evening?” he asks politely, flashing us another bright smile.


 

After ordering, the food came out fairly quick. You all enjoyed your delicious burgers and talked about random, yet interesting topics. Once you guys were stuffed, you all decided to take a leisurely walk home. When Luhan and Kyungsoo have already gone their separate ways, You and Ellie walked back to the apartment complex together.

 

“So.... _______.”

 

You look over at Ellie with a raised eyebrow.

 

“What?” You suspiciously ask, scared as to what she’s going to say next.

 

“So.....what do you think of Kyungsoo?”

 

“What do you mean?” you question, not really sure where she’s leading this conversation to.

 

“You know! Just answer!”

 

“Um, he’s nice? Smart? I don’t know,” you exasperated. “Why was she even asking anyway?” you wonder.

 

“Hm. I see. That’s it? But, he’s so ADORABLE!” she exaggerated.  

 

“I don’t know! What do you want me to say!?” you exclaim.

 

“Nothing. Nevermind,” she huffs.

 

It becomes silent for the rest of the walk home.

 

That night, you laid in bed thinking about your conversation with Ellie.

 

“I guess he’s handsome, too. He’s definitely smart and nice. And, caring,” you began to list more and more amicable traits.

 

Your eyes begin to droop; “you are totally smitten by him, ______ ,” you whispered in your head, before falling asleep.