My Heart's Joy4

My Heart's Joy
Chapter 4:

A moment of doubt

A moment of confusion

A moment of truth

A moment of decision

 

The past:

"Go away! I'm busy!" she said to him, when she was holding a book, reading in the library, seated in one of the designated area for reading, and not even giving him a glance.

"I just wanted to invite you to have some snacks with me."

She gave him only a side glance not turning her head; then returned her eyes back to her book, and continued to read, "I am not hungry."

"Promise, we won't take long," he persisted.

Turning her head and facing him, looking at him, showing him the book, "Do you see, how further I must read on this? Do you see, how thick this is? And, I'm suppose to write an essay on this, for tomorrow," showing a small pout, "so, when I said, I'm busy, I'm busy!"

"I just want to spend some time with you, even, just for a few minutes."

"Why don't you go and be with one of your millions of fans, for sure, one of them, will be willing to have some snacks with you, probably will want to be with you all day long," she said back.

"But, it's you, I want to spend, a whole day long with."

"Please!" rolling her eyes, "See here, let me be straight with you, I don't want to get involved with you. I'll be crazy, if I get involved with you. Especially, YOU, having millions of fans, who would tear me apart, if they find out, I'm with you. You being here, ALONE WITH ME, is already a danger to my well being. I am glad, that not one . .  NOT ONE! ! . .  of your fans know, you are here with me, right now. Otherwise,  I think, they will kill me, if they find out. So, for my benefit, GO AWAY!"

"But, I can't . . "

Looking at him, and not speaking, waiting for a further explanation.

"Well . . the thing is . . I like you."

"Hmmm" she was speechless for a moment, "I on the other hand,  I don't like to like you. I'll be insane . . we can't even be friends . . because I'm a girl."

"Of course we can be friends," he said, smiling sweetly at her.

"Are you crazy? You can't have female friends. Your fans won't allow it. So, just leave me alone, and go away, okay?"

"No! It's not okay. I like you. hmmmm I'll be back, later," smirking, he stood up and walked away.

She looked at his leaving back, "What a big buffoon. Darn him!"

 

A pain

You are a pain

Stop

Stop harassing me

Go away

Go somewhere else

Stop

Stop pestering me


One instance:

Closed her eyes; then opened them, took a deep breath and blew it in the air, frustration was filling her,  looked him in the eye, and whispered, so not to attract attention,  "Why can't you leave me alone? Gee wez! You are here again. And now, you are even right beside me, no longer, just in front of me," her eyes narrowed, and one eyebrow raised.

"I want to give you something, I had this, and I liked it, at that time, I thought of you when I was eating this. So, I thought of sharing it with you. That was why I bought this for you," placed a small paper bag beside her on the table, "and, I bought a drink in can, along with it. You might get thirsty," smiled so sweetly, his eyes were blinking. As if, they were sharing a secret.

"I don't want it."

"I'll leave this here, I hope you'd enjoy them. Bye bye. I don't want to disturb your studies, I just wanted to drop it by, bye bye," smiled, waved his hand goodbye, under the table. Then stood up and left her.

"Hey . ." she could not call him back . . because she did not want to attract attention, just looked at his leaving form, "Darn, he can walk fast," she did not even want to try and catch up with him. "Darn that guy,"  she moved to take a peek inside the paper bag without touching it. "hmmmm"

She took the paper bag to her lap, turned her head to her left and right, to see if people noticed her, and it seems, no one was paying her any attention, she then took a peek inside and reached in, "What could it be? Oh, A cup cake. hmm hmm hmm” hid a small smile, she closed her eyes, and took a deep breath, then slowly exhaled. She opened her eyes, then took her bag pack and opened it, and then placed the paper bag inside; then closed her bag, and placed it back by her side, "Darn that guy."

 


Another instance:

She was in the library, reading, when she felt a presence beside her, and when she turned, it was Jae Joong.  She could now have a sense of his presence.

Smiled, "Hello!" he said to her.

She just looked at him, and thought, 'Maybe, if I don't talk at all, or talk much, he'll get the picture.'

"I woke-up early today, so I could cook you this,” placed a paper bag beside her.

A raised eyebrow, "Food is not allowed in the library, you know."

"Hurry then, put it in your bag."

"Do you want me, kicked out of the library?"

"No, of course not," he said, pouting a little.

Whispered in a hissing voice, "Then, stop, giving me food!"

"But . . " he was silent for a minute, "you're always in the library," pouted, with frustration, "and, this is the only time, I can come to see you."

"Then, stop coming."

He was quiet, with a little pout, looking so forlorn.

"Jae Joong . . " she started to say something, then she placed her book down and turned to face him, who was sitting beside her, and then she spoke in a mild way, as if explaining something to a child,  " Look here, I'm attending this university in full  scholarship. I have to keep good grades to keep my scholarship. I have a triple major."

Eyes going a little big, surprised, "Three?"

"Ye, three. That is no joke, two in literature and one in music, though, I have several minors, too."

"Oh, your in music, too. I major in music, too," smiled, and became interested.
"Ye, you told me, music and acting."

"Oh, you remembered," he was amused.

"That is not the point, my point is, I am busy with my studies. I don't have time for you, or for anyone, for that matter."

"I don't know why . . even if I am busy myself . . and I am busy, too . .not just with my studies . . work and travelling . . singing . . and all that stuff . . but, I end up, wanting to see you. That is the honest truth."

"You're busy, and I"m busy. We will never work. Can't you see that?" she looked at him, in an inquiring way.
"But, I want to at least try."

"It will be hell to be with you."

"But, I will show you and share with you heaven, if you will be with me," Jae Joong answered, and was looking so earnest.

'Darn him. How can you answer that, darn, that face,' a thought that ran in her mind. "No! We will never work, just face it," she said to him.

"No, I am not giving up. Just, as one person said, I shall return. Promise, I will keep returning," Jae Joong smiled at her, "Alright, go back to your reading, but, first, put the paper bag in your bag, before anyone sees it. Bye bye," smiled and waved goodbye, before rising from his chair and leaving.

"The buffoon, why can't he see reason," she just looked at his leaving back. She took the paper bag, and peeked inside, "Darn him, he cooked this?" she was half smiling. There was a container inside the bag. She took her bag and opened it, and placed the paper bag inside. "Darn. That guy is going to be a headache."

 

 

Revelation

Surprise

Unanticipated

Unexpected

An unexpected day for Jae Joong:

She had her backpack, hurrying along, and carried a box, when Jae Joong spotted her, she was ahead of him. He was heading to the library to see her.   He was curious, and followed her.

"Hello there!"

He saw, she greeted someone. So, he  step back a little and listened in on their conversation.

"Hey! Hello! Hello! I'm glad, you can make it!" the guy answered back to her.

"I can't go with you, I am just giving you my share," lifted the box to show it.

"Oh, what is it? A cake? hmmmm That will be delicious, coming from you," the guy smiled at her.

"hahahaha I did not have time to make a cake, but I made the next best thing, I baked some cookies."

Surprised at what he heard, Jae Joong thought, 'She can bake?'

"Oh  . . cookies! Your cookies! That is going to be a hit, for sure! hahahahaha But, why can't you come?"

"I have to be somewhere else. So, now that I made the cookies, we are quits, right?" she looked at the guy inquiringly.

"Ye, thanks for the cookies. I know, you are busy, so, thanks a lot," he bowed a little and smiled at her.

"Shut up! haahahahahaa I have to go. Enjoy the cookies. Bye." she said, while waving her hand.

"Okay, bye bye," he bowed slightly , waved a goodbye. She  too bowed slightly, and turned to go her way.

Tried not to be noticed, Jae Joong slowly followed her, having a small distance between them, she was walking fast, half running.

'Now, where is she heading. This is not the direction of the library,'  Jae Joong thought, and continued  to just follow her. And then he  saw her get inside the Music Department, "Oh, ye, her major is music, too." She climbed the stairs, and headed to one of the practice rooms, 'Oh, she is going to practice, I wonder what is she going to practice? What instrument does she play?' And stopped in front of the door she went in. He peeked through the glass, to see what she was doing.  He saw her sit in front of a piano. He smiled and whispered, "Oh, piano! She plays the piano, this is good."

Gazing at her in anticipation, he saw her flexed her fingers a little, and stretched a little, too.  He saw her take a deep breath; and then placed her hands on the keys.

What happened next was a revelation to Jae Joong, who saw her fingers moving, could slightly hear through the door the music she was playing. Jae Joong's jaw dropped. She was playing a classical piece.

Watched her as she played the piano, and could not believe his eyes and ears, "She is good. Darn! The girl can play," he turned and sat down against the door, listened to her playing the piano. He was there for some time, listened, and sometimes, took a peek through the glass, and looked, "Now, I know why she has a full scholarship, she is good."

Jae Joong looked one last time; then walked away, his thoughts on what he had found out.


 

Music to my ear

You gave me music

You are music

Music to my ear

Another day:


She was in the library, reading, seated in one of the designated area for reading.  Jae Joong saw her at once, and walked towards her, and sat down beside her.  She turned her head, and saw him, but returned right back to reading. He smiled and thought, 'Just as always, my chubby is reading. hmmm I will read with her, today.' He opened his bag and brought out a book he planned on reading. He closed his bag, placed it on top of the table.

They were like that for a few minutes, she looked at her watch, took a deep breath, and then started to sit up straighter, and placed a book marker on the page and folded her book. Jae Joong was surprised, he just held his book, turned his head and watched her.  She placed the book on the table, and then took her bag and opened it and placed her book inside, and then closed the bag.  He thought, 'wooow, Is she finished in her reading? Is she going to get another book?'

She started carrying her bag, and moved, as if to get up, "Hey, Where are you going?" Jae Joong asked.

"Out of here."  

"Oh" Jae Joong quickly folded his book, and hurriedly took his bag and opened it, and placed the book quickly inside; then closed it.

And when she stood up, he stood up with her, “Where do you think you're going?"

"I am going with you," he answered, "Where are you going anyway?"

She first looked at him, as if undecided, on what to do with him. Then as if she made up her mind, and turned and started to walk away. He followed along, and walked just behind her. They had only been walking a short distance, Jae Joong was amused, 'We are out walking. hahahahaha And, not be inside the library,’ he was looking at her, and studied her.

It seems they were headed outside the campus. As he realized, in the direction they were headed, as they continued to walk, he did not say anything.  She passed through the campus gates and continued to walk, he just followed her, and she was headed towards one of the restaurants, outside the campus. 'Oh, a restaurant,' he thought and realized, 'Maybe, she is hungry.' 

She went in, and looked for a seat, and he was just behind her.  When she sat down, he followed suit, and sat across from her.

The waitress came to them, and gave them each a menu. They took it, and looked at the menu. Jae Joong looked at the food, but also waited for her, to see what she will order. She ordered noodles and he ordered the same. They gave the menu back to the waitress,"Your orders will be right over, if you need anything else, please just call me,” she said to them, and then she bowed a little, and they bowed their heads, too, and then the waitress moved away. They were silent for a minute.  Not looking at each other.

Jae Joong asked, "What music do you like?"

Half smiling, "Not KPOP."

"Then, what?"

She looked at him, as if deciding on what to tell him. Then she said, "Classical music."

"Is that your major?"

"Ye, it is."

"I bet, you play the piano," Jae Joong said, smiling.

"Ye, I do."

"Maybe, I'll asked you to play for me one time."

"I play only for my leisure and pleasure, and not to perform."

"What? I don't understand," he was confused.

Smiling as if amused, she spoke, "What is there to understand. I like to learn, but I don't like to perform."

"But, if you are talented, you should show your talent."

"I like to play the piano, but I don't play it for the crowd, I play it for myself or for my family and close friends."

"What? But, why?" he could not believe what he was hearing, and he knew for certain, that she was very talented.
She looked at him, as if trying to decide on what to say,"I love music, but, I am not seeking attention, or approval, or to please anyone, I'll play, when I feel like it. Not every time, someone wants me to play, or asked to play, even if I don't want to play. "

"Then, how do you do it in school?"

"I practice, as usual; then I perform for my teachers, and for my exams. I perform, only if it's required."

"But . . " Jae Joong was thinking on what to say. He could not fathom, not performing, if she was very talented, "Isn't that a waste of talent? Not sharing your talent?"

"I love to play, and I enjoy it. I had been playing piano, since I was a child. I have performed in front of a crowd, but it is not my priority. My priority is my studies in literature. That is how I am going to earn a living. Music, is just for fun."

"What? Music is just for fun? If I am as talented as you, I'll be performing a lot. Maybe even in America or Europe. And, maybe even join contests."

"Contests? It is not as fun as you think, I've been there, when I was younger. It was so tiring, practicing all the time, and only doing one piece at a time, it was not fun. And, contests abroad? You'll only be locked in a room practicing. So what’s fun, in that? Then, to top it all, you don't have a life."

"You've been to contests? How did you do?"

"What do you think, I'd do?"

Jae Joong was quiet, then said, "You'd probably won the contests, hah."

"Not all of them," smiled, and then laughed.

He smiled, and laughed with her, and was looking at her, 'This is the first time, I saw her smiled at me and laughed. She is simply beautiful.'

Music is our language

Music is what we share

Music that binds us together

Music that sealed our fate


There were a few costumers at the restaurant at that time with them. The waitress came with the side dishes, arranged and placed them on the table. And she left, only to return with their orders of noodles, "Please, enjoy your meal," the waitress said. Nodded to them, they nodded back,  and she left.

With both hands in front of them, palms together, they said simultaneously, "Thank you for the food." And afterwards, they started eating.

At first they were just eating, but he had questions in his head he wanted to ask her. He was thinking what to ask first, "I am curious, when did you first, started playing the piano?"  

She looked at him, and placed a hand to , and finished first the food in before answering, "Hmmm I was three, the first time I touched my first key."

"Three? Really? Oh" his admiration was growing.

A small laughter, "Actually, it was by accident. It was not me, who was studying the piano, but my older brother," she took a sip of her soup, "There was this retired music teacher, that was giving free lessons, and my brother was one of his students." She took another sip of her soup, "At that time, my mother was heading somewhere, and there was no one to look after me. And, so, my brother was asked or rather told by our mother to look after me." She took another sip of her soup, "Either, we stay home, or, take me with him." She took some noodles and ate, and pause with the story. He waited for her to continue.

"Then . . " he hinted,  as he was eating his noodles, but looked at her.

She was chewing, and when she finished what was in , she continued to tell the story, "My brother had no choice, but to take me with him." Smiled, "Along with my milk, my toys, and my stuff toy. hahahahaha I was told, I never go anywhere without that stuff toy." Jae Joong continued to eat and sipped soup, too,  and listened to her. She took a sip of her soup again and then ate some side dishes. Then after eating, she said,  "So, I had my stuff toy, and my brother had to carry a bag with my things, hahahahahaha even if he did not want to, he had no choice. hahahahahaha"

"What happens if you don't have those things?"

"Well, I was three, so, I don't remember much, but I was told, that I easily got bored, and needed to be entertained," she smiled, and he smiled, too. She ate some more of the noodles. Afterward, she continued on,  "So we went to the house of his teacher, and my brother told me, I was left to the care of the wife of his teacher, and they had the lesson. But, my brother told me, during one of their lessons, I came to them, and wanted to sit with them. The wife wanted to take me away, but they said I won't go with her, so they just let me stay beside them."

She was quiet for a moment, as if trying to remember, "My brother said, I was quiet and just held my stuff toy. He said, when he looked at me at that time, I looked as if I understood, and I was listening and was looking at their hands and the keys. When, they stopped for a moment, he said, I reached in, and touched the keys." she smiled, "He said, with my small fingers, I tried to touch the keys, and I was doing it right. He said, they were surprised. So, that was, my first time, which, by the way, I don't remember. hahahahaha I only know, because my brother told me. 

"Oh, so that was how you started. And, probably had piano lessons then."

"Oh, not right away. But, I would go with my brother from time to time."

"So, piano is your major."

"Actually, no."

"What? But you said, you play the piano?"  

"Yeah, I play the piano, but it is not my major. It's composition."

"What? Classical music, but composition?" Jae Joong was perplexed.

She smiled, "Like I said, I like to learn, but I don't like to perform. And, music is only for fun," she was amused at the look she was getting from his face, "Piano, is my first love, and the first musical instrument I learned, but it is not the only instrument I play." 

"What, else do you play, then?" he really found all this interesting.

"Hmmm guitar and the violin."

"And, you're as good in those, as you are in playing the piano?"

"Well, I think, I am still the best in piano."

Jae Joong smiled so sweetly and said,"One time, I really would like to hear you play," then thought, 'This girl, is a girl with the same desire as my heart.  Books and music. hahahaha Darn, she is good in piano, but did not major in piano. hahahaha'

"I compose, too and sang a few of my compositions.”

She nodded, and smiled, but thought, 'Yeah, I know, I listened to your songs. You are not so bad.'

 

 

Another day:

I can't resist a smile

A smile from those lips

I can't resist a look

A look from those eyes

 

I now get it

I get it why, you are who you are

I now get it

I get it why, because you have charm

 

A smile

A smile, that pull people to you

A smile

A smile, that win people to you

 


A familiar welcoming sight, when Jae Joong entered the library, he saw her, she was in her usual place with a book reading.  He walked towards her, then sat down next to her. She did not glance at him. He pouted a little, but then smiled to himself, and placed his bag on the table. He took out his cellphone from his pocket, and pushed a few buttons. Then smiled, and turned towards her, and focused the camera of his cellphone at her and took a picture.

When she heard the sound, with a suprised and puzzled look on her face, she turned her head towards him with a frown, and with a blink of her eyes looked at him. And she saw a sheepishly smiling Jae Joong.  With the camera still on her, he took another picture of her. Her frown deepened, and one of her eyebrows rose. And he took another picture.

"Care to explain, what was that for?" she whispered to him. With just her thumb between the pages, closed the book. Nobody was paying them any attention.

"hmmm I don't have a picture of you." his whispered answer. A disbelief was clearly shown in her face.

"Da! So?" she asked, "And you take people's picture, without asking their permission?" they both kept whispering to each other.

"Well, I did not think you'd mind. People take my picture all the time."

"And? You don't mind?"

"hmmm. . I'm used to it."

"I'm not," she spoke back.

"But. . if I asked, you'd probably not allow it," he sheepishly said.

"hmmm Probably not.”

"Alright, next time, I'll ask permission. How about that?" smiling cutely, "So now, please, can I take your picture?" Jae Joong asked.

With a frown etched on her brows, "You already took some pictures."

"But, you were not smiling in any of them. Please, can I take a picture of you with a smile?" again, acting cute.

"I don't smile, if I don't feel like it, and right now, I don't."

"I have something for you," he changed the topic. She just looked at him, waited. He looked at his bag, ped it, and then placed his hand inside, and was taking something out from inside, but paused for a moment.

He looked at her, took a deep breath, and then took out a rose from his bag, "This is for you," Jae Joong held the rose in one hand towards her.

"Now, what is this one for?" she asked, pursing her lips a tiny bit.

"I wanted to give you a flower," he explained.

"Was I not been clear to you? Then let me repeat myself, I don't want to get involved with you," she said to him.

"Here, I'll leave this here." Jae Joong placed the flower in front of her, "but, I still don't have your picture," he zipped his bag and carried it to his shoulder, and then stood up, placed his cellphone back in his pocket and walked away.

She could only look at his leaving form. Then she looked at her book in her hand, and the rose on the table, "The buffoon, he can buy a dozen roses or a dozen of dozens o f roses, and he can only give me one. What a cheapskate," she look around her, to see if anyone noticed. And then she took her bag and opened it and carefully placed the rose inside her bag. She carefully closed her bag. She kept her bag on the table in front of her.  Then proceeded to read her book.

Poems (her thoughts):

Why? I ask why?

What do you see in me?

I am not pretty

You are prettier than me

Why? I ask why?

Why can't you leave me alone?

I am not y

You are ier than me

Why? I ask why?

Why do you bother me?

I don't give you a time of day

You are always beside me

 

 

I would be doing my thing

And you'd be beside me

No matter what I'd do

It does not hinder you

No matter what I'd say

It does not discourage you

I don't know what to think of you

I don't know what else to say to you

 

 

Someone save me

Someone help me

A buffoon is after me

I'm crawling away

He is right at my heels

I'm running away

He is right at my knees

I'm swimming away

He is right at my elbow

I'm flying away

He is right at my neck

Someone save me

Someone help me

A buffoon is after me

 

 

To a far away land

I wish to go

To a far away land

I wish to drive

To a far away land

I wish to float

To a far away land

I wish to swim

To a far away land

I wish to fly

To a far away land

I wish to be

 

 

To dream, if only I could dream

Of you and me

To dream, if only I could dream

Of you with me

To dream, if only I could dream

Of us

To dream, if only I could dream

Of we

To dream, if only I could dream

Of together

To dream, if only I could dream


Poems (Jae Joong’s thoughts):

Why?

Why do I like you?

I don't know why

Why I like you the way I do

Why?

Why do I like you?

I can't explain why

My mind can't explain what I feel

Why?

Why do I like you?

I don't have words to say

My heart rules everything

 

 

My mind tells me differently

but my heart tells another matter

How can I look at someone

when all I see is you

How can I teach my heart

when you are already there

How can I explain it to you

when you are already crowding my mind

 

 

Try hard as I might

You are in my heart

No one affect me like you do

You are constant in my mind

When I see you

I already miss you

I want to look at you

Just to stare at you

When you are not there

I feel so empty inside

I want you beside me

I need you beside me

 

 

I often wish the day could end

So I could be with you

To just be with you

To sit with you

To read with you

To eat with you

I even want to cook for you

I even want to feed you

 

 

I can't accept your decline

I have to win you over

I have to do everything

I have to do anything

To make you like me

To make you notice me

To make you smile at me

To make you love me