Book 2.02

The Glass and The Rock

 

“It has been a week already, I can’t believe they are still mentioning that incident. Even at their press conference about cancelling concerts.” Seohyun spoke up, showing that she was irritated.

“It’s something rare,” Yuri tries to ease Seohyun’s angst, “hard to come across a group of celebrities that would do something like that. Besides, the reason for this conference is because of that.”

“Don’t be so gloom about it. The kiss came from a child.” Sunny teased.

“Yea, I don’t think she can steal his heart from you.” Hyoyeon accompanies Sunny in the tease.

“Argh.” Seohyun let out a raging growl.

“Quit teasing her. You know that isn’t the reason why she’s irritated.” Taeyeon spoke up in Seohyun’s defense.

“The bleeding wasn’t that bad, right?” Jessica asked.

“Yea, it wasn’t bad. Just the right side of his back was messed up. Mostly just skin burn.” Taeyeon replied.

“Can we stop talking about it?” Seohyun asked. “I don’t like the fact that I’m reminded that he got hurt. Seeing the side of his back bleeding like that, it scares me.”

“Yea, I would too if the love of my life was drenched in blood like that.” Sooyoung backed up Seohyun.

“Remember what happened to her when we first saw just a clip of it?” Jessica continued.

“I think Yoona was worse. I think she literally stopped breathing or something.” Sunny joined in.

“Is she still out?” Yuri asked.

“Yeah, she’s been out more frequently now.” To which Sunny replied.

“Let unnie be,” Seohyun said, “Jonghyun was the worse out of all of them. It’s something expected.”

Seohyun said as she sets the plates on the table for dinner. Her unnies also took part in the workload, but neither Yuri, Sooyoung, and Taeyeon could take their eyes off the television.

“Look at those boys. How do they even joke like that at such a serious press conference?”

“I think it’s in their nature. I don’t think they can stop even if they wanted to, the same can be said about their kindness.”

“Wow, they’re modest too, these blue boys of ours.”

“Can we change the channel?” Seohyun asked her unnies.

“Just watch it, it’s almost over anyway. Plus, you know he’s fine, I don’t think he has the gut to do something like that again after the scolding he got from you.” Sunny said with a hint of tease as she took her spot on the table.

“That’s the thing that scares me. I’m sure he’ll do it again, I’m sure all of them will, we agreed it’s in their nature after all.” Seohyun speaks with a tone filled with worry.

“But isn’t it a good thing? Knowing your first love is a person with such a good heart.” Sooyoung poke Seohyun from the side.

“But I’m scared that I might lose him.” To which Seohyun replied.

“Then you better chain him up next to you to make sure he’s far from harm.” Followed by Hyoyeon's tease.

“Unnieeeee~~~!!”

The girls laughed at their maknae’s distress. Then each took their places around the table, but never once was their eyes turned away from the television except for one.

“But honestly, did they practice saving people like that?” Sunny spoke up jestingly. “Something like that is like a scene out of a movie.”

“I know right?” Taeyeon agreed. “It’s really something heroic.”

 

----------ON THE TV----------

 

“The press conference regarding the heroic boy band CN Blue concluded with the CEO of the FNC Entertainment fully cooperative with what the band said. His remark was rather earnest, thanking the stars that the four members are well, and also informed us that the decision made by the band to cancel their tours is well respected. Once again, we would like to show the speech made by the leader of CN Blue.”

“To be frank, I’m speaking for the rest of the band, that this is not something that deserves all this attention. We simply did what anybody would have done if they were in our shoes. Also, we would like to thank everybody for showing us that a random act of kindness deserves praise, and we hope that those who are truly kind are receiving praises as well.”

“They have not once gloat about their heroism in the event. They simply noted that every one of us human beings has a high capacity for kindness. They showed us what it means to be heroes, regardless the self sacrifice they had to make. We would like to end our show with a clip stitched together from several sources during the incident, to celebrate their heroic act.”

The screen turned blank momentarily, then immediately after, the four of them appeared on screen. The video was a compilation captured by fans who happened to be at the location when the four boys were out going to a restaurant. They were chatting amongst themselves, walking on the sidewalk. Some fans were coming up asking for signature, and they of course, being celebrities, gave them out. When Jonghyun, who was closest to the street, handed back the signboard to a fan before letting it drop to the ground. He yelled out “STOP!” as he ran forward, the other three didn’t know what was going on, but they began chasing him. The phone cameras chased and followed their movements.

Jonghyun was caught running on the city street instead of on the sidewalk moments later. The other three followed suit, having realized what was going on. Jonghyun continued to run forward on the street as a yellow cab was coming towards him. Everybody could hear the screeching sound of braking coming from the cab, as well as screams coming from the side. The four boys continued to run forward. Jonghyun, who made it there first, grabbed the child who was on the street, but he never stopped moving forward. He continued to run towards the yellow cab. Getting close to it, he lifted his left leg on the hood of the cab that was braking. His right leg then stepped on the windshield of the cab. He continued with his left leg this time, landing on the roof of the cab, still carrying the child. However, his left foot was too close to the top light sign of the cab, and the two slammed into each other as the car continued to move forward. As he was about to fall face first toward the cab, he tossed the child up in the air as he yelled out “HYUNG!” Coming from behind him, Yonghwa did the same act Jonghyun did. However, instead of getting caught up by the cab’s top light which had toppled due to the earlier accident, he jumped over it, over the falling Jonghyun, as he dove to catch the girl in midair. He caught her, pulled her toward his chest then clenched her tightly as he plunged downward. Yonghwa was able to land on his feet momentarily. Unfortunately, he lost his ability to maintain balance due to the unknown additional weight and fell on his back, sliding on the black street’s asphalt due to his momentum, toward another oncoming vehicle. However, at this time, Jungshin had already stopped the truck, standing just mere centimeters away from the bumper of the vehicle with his arm held out, ready to take a hit. At the same time that Yonghwa was airborne, Jonghyun continued his descent face first toward the rear end of the cab after tossing the child into the air. It was something unavoidable after all. However, he reflexively puts up his guard thanks to his martial arts training, and held his forearms before his face. His body slammed into the trunk, and he was knocked out cold from the impact. Moreover, his body was still going through the motion due to the same merciless force called momentum. His unconscious body flung into the air, making an arc. As he falls, Minhyuk had already gotten to the location and have situated himself below his descending hyung with his arms held out. He caught Jonghyun, but since an unconscious body was heavier than a conscious one, in addition to the effect of gravity, his arms couldn’t handle the weight. Minhyuk dropped to his knee with his hyung in arms, the impact with the asphalt made him scream out in agony. Everything, including time, seemed to have stopped.

Jungshin turned his back from what seemed like a sure death moment, running towards Yonghwa who was lying on the street, the person who was the closest to him. Jungshin then unwrapped Yonghwa’s arm, and exhaled a sigh of relief seeing the girl continuously blinking; a sign that she was well. He grabbed hold of the girl, carrying her to the sidewalk. After leaving her there and telling her not to move, he went back for his hyung. At this time, people from the sidewalk were rushing in like it was a mobbing. Jungshin then pulled Yonghwa up by his arm. Yonghwa was able to stand with the help of Jungshin under his arm, carrying Yonghwa by the shoulder. Yonghwa, who was unaware of his current situation, faces and directed his attention toward Minhyuk and Jonghyun. Everybody around them was on their phone, requesting the police for an emergency dispatch, while some continued to film. Minhyuk was still on his knees, with arms holding onto the unconscious Jonghyun. His smiling eyes gleamed, seemingly on the verge of tears, as he slaps his hyung on the cheeks, repeating his name. Still, there was no response coming from Jonghyun. At this time, Yonghwa came upon the two with the help of Jungshin, dropped to his knees before Jonghyun. He let out a loud scream, calling his dongsaeng’s name just once. Jonghyun immediately reacts to it, as his eyes instantly swung open. Seeing this, Minhyuk laughed and hugged his brother, letting his tears freely fall. Yonghwa too, smiled and dropped his shoulders to let out a big sigh. The spectator screamed once again, pointing at him. Jungshin followed in the direction of all the pointing fingers, and his eyes immediately spread. He took his coat off, and applied it onto Yonghwa’s back, which was drench in blood from the numerous cuts.

 

“Is it over?” Seohyun asked while covering her eyes with her hands, the third time she questioned.

“Yeah, the clip’s over.” Taeyeon replied. “Eat some food.”

“I don’t think I can stomach it.” Seohyun replied.

“Yah, I will call him up and tell him that you are not taking care of yourself.”

“OK unnie. I’ll eat.”

The seven girls that were there for dinner chewed their food in silence, while Seohyun began to pick up her first piece.

“Can we somehow rearrange our schedule?”

“I’m pretty sure we can. Let’s finish eating first and check on it immediately after.” Taeyeon replied to the maknae.

Every one of them nodded, seemingly to have the same mindset.

“Hyunnie, Yong seobang is really brave.” Sunny tries to cheer Seohyun up, seeing how she hadn’t eaten anything yet.

“I know.” Seohyun replied with a short answer. Still lost in her worries. Still not eating.

Again, the mood returned to a solemn one as they continued to eat. A simple click from the automatic lock on the door broke the silence.

“Oh, Yoona’s back.” Sooyoung deduced.

“Yahh!!! What are you guys doing?!” a familiar voice ran out.

“Eating!” Taeyeon replied.

“Darn,” she replied disappointedly, “We even bought food to have a party.”

“We?” Yuri asked in confusion.

Jessica stood up and walked over to find out what Yoona meant by that. Seeing the sight, she screams out.

“Hyun, Yong Seobang is here to visit!”

Seohyun without delay stood up and flew from her chair towards the entrance.

“Hi love.” Yonghwa said sheepishly seeing Seohyun's face.

Seohyun attacked him with an immediate hug, regardless of her timid nature. Yonghwa inhaled sharply, causing Seohyun to back off right away.

“Sorry oppa. Did I hurt you?”

“Yea, you letting me go cuts deep.”

“You’re so cheesy.”

“Come here.” Yonghwa opened up his arms. Seohyun came toward him without a single ounce of hesitation.

“Hey, stop blocking the door, you two.” Jungshin spoke up as he pushed the wheelchair toward Yonghwa, and the sitting Jonghyun poked Yonghwa’s back with his index finger held out in a shape of a gun.

“Give me all your money. KU KU KU.” Jonghyun said in his solemn voice.

“You may take my money, heck, you may even take my life," Yonghwa replied with a hint of seriousness, "…but you…will never take…my GOGUMA!” Yonghwa shouted a parody quoting the famous line. He wrapped his arms around Seohyun’s waist and made a breakaway from the supposed thief as he ran towards the living room.

The remaining children let out a good laugh at the door. Each of them entered the SNSD dorm, politely greeting their sunbaes in the industry. The mood in the dorm changed immediately from a haunting to a joyous one.