Book 2.04(End)

The Glass and The Rock

 

Yoona cupped the phone with both hands, watching it intently. Seohyun too, with her hands already covering , her eyes already filled to the brim with tears.

Sounds of screams were coming from the phone. Yoona eyes were flaring as the man in the phone ran on the street, followed by three others. kept mouthing the words ‘don’t don’t don’t’ as the man continued to run forward toward a moving vehicle despite her pleas. The video then changed focus to the owner’s pants, as he was running while flailing his hand around, chasing the four. Everybody in the room was anticipating what was happening. Everything was as still as a picture. The only sound made was coming from the phone. After a bit, the video caught the event of what was happening above the cab. Everybody gasped beside Yoona as Jonghyun’s feet tripped on the taxi top light. The sound yelling out “HYUNG!” was very evident, even amongst the numerous noises from the spectators. What happened after was Yonghwa flying above the falling Jonghyun, and in that video, they both disappeared from sight behind the stopping taxi. Silence once again filled the room immediately after Seohyun tearfully screamed out her lover’s name. Anticipation welded up as the owner of the footage again made his run toward the site. From there, they could hear the owner’s voice saying ‘ottoke ottoke’ over and over again. The footage once again captured the four boys. It had the full view of Minhyuk’s back, already kneeling on the ground slapping Jonghyun’s face while repeating the same word, and in a bit of distance away, Jungshin and Yonghwa approaches as one of them carried the other. Everyone immediately looked at Yoona, who was at this moment in time, had her eyes wide open with her eyes misting, her face had long gone pale. Her hands were unable to grip onto the phone, letting it dropped toward the ground. Sunny catches it in the nick of time, just inches from the ground. The other girls then dropped to the ground, crouching as they continued to watch the video. In there, the clip finally had a full view of Yonghwa kneeling with his torso straight as he stares at his two brothers, and the standing figure next to him was Jungshin. Yonghwa let out an ear piercing scream, able to overlap every single sound that was in the video. Silence covered everything during this brief moment, the girls, staffs, the whole dressing room, including the video clip itself, silence. Then, immediately after, the owner’s voice let out a happy shout as well as everybody else, saying ‘he’s okay’ over and over again as Minhyuk lifts Jonghyun’s head above his shoulder. Again, the happy glee then turned to screams just moments later, when Yonghwa bent forward showing his back. Then Jungshin covered him up, applying pressure to the affected area. The video mercilessly continued to run, regardless of the Seohyun who was now on her knees crying ‘oppa oppa’ over and over again, while the other girls held their hands to their mouth as their eyes misted up. Beside from Yoona who had frozen in time and Seohyun who was bawling her eyes out, the girls continued to watch till the end of the clip, where the ambulance came and took the four boys away.

The girls then took their attention away from the phone, and focused on the girl crying right next to them. They kept telling her that Yonghwa was fine, he was seen walking, saying he was healthy enough to help the workers carried Jonghyun. The sentence that finally got through to her was Taeyeon telling Seohyun to message the four to have them message back. Seohyun quickly darts to the get her phone to make the call. The girls then make their way to the paled motionless girl.

 

Taeyeon then walked up to Jessica from the couch. She places her hands on the girl’s shoulder, but even as Jessica snickers, she pretended to be motionless, while Yuri had already finished her performance of Seohyun by bawling it out on the floor earlier.

“Yah! That’s not what happened!” Yoona yelled out.

“You may not know it because I think your soul had already left your body.” Sunny retorts.

Every girl there nodded to Yoona’s embarrassment. She looked sideways and sees Jonghyun smiling as he continued to watch what was going to unfold. Yoona then tried to cover his eyes with the one hand that was free, but he caught that and combined it to what was already in his grip.

“That’s right.” Taeyeon continued. “I kept shaking her again and again, but there was no response.”

This prompts the girls to assault their maknae.

“We kept saying ‘Jonghyun is ok,’ but it was like she could no longer hear us.”

“We did that for I don’t know how long.”

“Maybe five minutes.”

“You know, even though her eyes were wet, none of her tears ran. I mean, we even cried.”

“I honestly think her soul left her body.”

“Un.” Every girl agreed.

“So we took the phone and held it in front of her eyes…and we moved the scrub to the part where Yonghwa yelled out Jonghyun’s name. We turned the volume up further too, because we wanted her to hear the people in there saying that he’s fine. She immediately blinked. That blink caused tears to run on the side of her cheeks. She kept watching the video to make sure that he was moving.” Said Taeyeon as she used her two index fingers to trace tear lines on Jessica’s cheeks.

Jessica grabbed hold of the phone, imagining the clip was running on there. She held it just millimeters from her face as she smiled teasingly while doing so.

“YARHHHH! Stop itttttt!” Yoona screamed and flailed childishly. But still, she was restricted by Jonghyun who already had a big grin on his face.

Everybody laughed as well. At this time, Seohyun and Yonghwa left the room and was about to join the rest of them. Jessica notices her maknae and gestured everyone to take their positions.

“What were you guys doing?” Yonghwa asked.

“We were reenacting a scene of what happened.” Jungshin immediately replied, and got smacked Sooyoung who was sitting right next to him.

“Why are you so tactless?!”

Seohyun immediately realized what was going on, put on a brave smile.

“It’s ok, he’s here with me right now. I’m happy.” She said while still had both of her arms wrapped around Yonghwa’s waist, as his arm rests on her shoulders.

Everybody was in a happy mood again.

“Oh Hyunnie, you didn’t see what happened with Yoona because you were busy, we’ll show it to you again.”

“NOOOO!!!” Yoona finally mustered up the strength to escape the clutches of Jonghyun, shooting straight up to a standing position. “OK OK OK, I admit it, I admit it. I was really worried. I didn’t know…what I was going to do…watching that, seeing what I saw. I don’t ever want to see that again.” She said, letting every ounce of energy she had in her body escaped as she dropped back down on the sofa.

 “Sorry Yoongie.” The girls apologized, knowing they had taken it too far as the second maknae dropped back into the couch.

“Yoona.” Jonghyun spoke up while leaning close to her from the side.

She looked up from her thighs and over to him.

“Sit right here.” Jonghyun gestured as he tapped on his lap, telling her to do so.

Her face became red all at once, as well as her eyes, which seems like they were about to pop out of their sockets. Once again, she froze.

The others were cheering her to do so. Yoona turned to them, embarrassed.

“Yoona, you’re taking up space from us on the sofa.” Yonghwa said nonchalantly, gesturing her to stand up.

“Unnie, let me and oppa sit together.”

Yoona stood up, knowing the hint.

They continued to cheer her on as she inches slowly over to her right, toward the only person there who was on a wheelchair. She stood motionless for a few second, then immediately flinched. Looking downward, she saw the man’s arm wrapped around her waist as he attempts to pull her close to him, she showed no sign of resistance, even walking toward him. She sat down on his lap in an ocean of cheers coming from the side. She ducked her head, unable to look up. The man’s hand then lift upward and pulled her head closer to his chest, and she once again showed no resistance. She closed her eyes with a wide smile on her face, resting comfortably as she sits side way on that chair, with her torso supported by Jonghyun and her legs dangling from the side.

Yonghwa and Seohyun took Yoona’s previous spot, as they continued to cuddle.

“Why are you so happy now hyunnie?” Tiffany noticed.

“What happened in there?” Said Hyoyeon with a smirk.

“Nothing.” Yonghwa replied shortly.

“Ohh such a short answer. Something must have happened.” Hyoyeon quickly followed up.

“No no no.” Seohyun replied in a flurry. “He promised to attend one of our concerts this week is all.”

“What? He only needed to do that to cheer you up?” Yuri said teasingly.

“Wait, can you even make it to the concert?” Taeyeon asked with concerns.

“I’m not sure. Can we get backstage passes?” Yonghwa replied with his lips pursed.

“What about us?” Jungshin spoke up.

“Yea, I wanted you guys to come too. I think we’ve been too cooped up in our place.” Spoke Yonghwa as he rubbed Seohyun’s shoulder.

“Hm, I’m sure there won’t be a problem if we invite you guys. Problem is our event is sold out, so you won’t have any seats that can face the stage.” Taeyeon replied in earnest.

“It’s ok even if we can just watch from the staff area anyway. We simply want to get away from the ghost in our place.” Yonghwa said with a smirk.

“Wait, does that mean I’m not allowed to go?” Jonghyun spoke up with Yoona still resting calmly on his chest.

Yonghwa tapped his own leg and Jonghyun immediately understood.

“But what am I suppose to do for the whole day?” Jonghyun whined.

“Rest to recover like you’ve been told.” Yonghwa sternly replied. “If you do anything detrimental to yourself, we won’t be brothers anymore.”

“That’s right hyung.” Both Jungshin and Minhyuk agreed.

Overwhelmed by a sense of defeat, Jonghyun only nodded solemnly.

“OH, I forgot you said you guys have schedules to keep also, can you really make it to one of our concerts?” Seohyun questioned in a flurry after remembering.

“Hmm, I’m not sure regarding that.” Replied Yonghwa without a care.

“Oppa! You promised.” Prompting Yonghwa to pat Seohyun’s head, calming her down.

“They’re just Q&A about the incident is all.” Minhyuk joined in to calm his hyungsoonim.

“Yea, a lot of talk shows been trying to get us on their shows regarding this topic. We’ve been declining them on the premise that we’re still recovering, but I don’t think we can decline them any longer.” Yonghwa added further explanation.

“I understand why you guys are on demand though. I mean, it’s already been a week and they’re still showing the clip of you guys doing that.” Jessica said proudly.

“Of course. I mean, you guys are heroes!” Sooyoung happily spoke up with snacks in .

“Yea, you guys did an extremely good deed.” Tiffany agreed after she took a sip of tea.

“But I still think it’s bad if we get on the shows and say the only thing we remembered when we did that was….nothing.” Jungshin replied while scratching the back of his head.

Minhyuk followed up. “‘So, how does it feel to save another person’s life?’” as he holds an invisible mic before his mouth, then moved the supposed mic towards Jungshin.

Jungshin replied to the mock up question, “‘can you…tell me what I did again?’”

Everyone laughed including Seohyun who has been in the arms of Yonghwa for the entire duration, lying in his chest. Yoona on the other hand, fell asleep in her position, unbeknownst to the others.

“Yeah. I don’t think I could do those shows. How many times can we say ‘We don’t know’ for them to be satisfied?” Jonghyun agreed with the rest of the boys.

“Well, I don’t think you guys can hide from this anyway. The internet has honestly blown you guys up to superheroes status.”

“It’s true. Some youtube video clips even have the title ‘Code Name: Heroes.’”

“Yeah, and I saw a few memes they made too. There was one where they drew a cape on Yong seobang’s back when he tries to catch the girl, and labeled it ‘He flies and he isn’t even from Krypton.’”

“I saw that too! My fave is a shot of Jungshin chingu standing before the truck, they painted him green and called it ‘Untouchable Hulk.’” Sooyoung added with a laugh.

The girls kept on recalling everything they can from what they saw from the netizens seeing as the tension had already vanished, prompting laughter to go all around. The boys scratched their head, not knowing what to do because the topic was still rather embarrassing. Jonghyun dropped his head, and then notices the sleeping beauty on his lap sleeping calmly.

“Hey, can one of you guys go open the door to Yoona’s dorm room?”

The girls noticed the sight and understood immediately why he requested it.

“I’ll do it, her bed is to the left once you enter.” Yuri said. Jonghyun nodded a simple thank as reply.

Yuri tip toed silently toward the room and opens the door. Jonghyun rolled the wheelchair as quickly as he could, as cautiously as he could in order not to let the girl on his lap wake up. Everyone else remained quiet during this.

Yuri returned in a bit, when she passed Jonghyun, she tapped him on the shoulder and pointed to the room with the opened door, and again he nodded with appreciation.

He continued his slow roll, and finally made it to the room. He expertly rolled one of the wheel in first, slipping her legs inside the room. Then he began rolling the other, as quietly as he could. It took him awhile, similar to parallel parking in a tight spot, but finally he was able to get the wheelchair inside the room without disturbing Yoona’s rest. He rolled up between the two beds that were in the room, and turned his wheel chair to the left. Seeing there was no other way for him to lay her down in her bed sitting on his chair, he settled both of his feet onto the ground. With one of his arm already supporting her back, Jonghyun slipped the other under Yoona’s knee. He lifted her up as he stands, and then arches forward toward the bed. He tried to settle her as softly as he could. When her body touched the cold bedding, Yoona twitched a little, but she still snuggled into bed as Jonghyun slipped his hands one by one from under her. As she lied facing him, he dropped back into his chair.

Jonghyun whispered good night to the slumbering beauty before him, and the smile on her face widened. He rolled one of the wheels backward until the front of his chair faces the door. He then rolled both of wheels forward, but the left wheel seemed to have caught onto something, and dragged an item from Yoona’s bed to the floor. Luckily, the sound didn’t wake her, as she smacked her lips once and continued her sleep. He looked to his left, where the sound originated. He traced his hand on the wheel, realizing that it had caught on a wire of sort. Now tracing the wire, he reached its end, and now he recognized that it was an earphone. The wire had detached from the ipod, which caused the screen to light up. He picked up the music device, and on the screen, there was a notification of a song which had played and now paused. The title of it was “[2010]WGM – can I love you?” He stares at it for a while, thinking. But now curiously had a complete hold of him, he stuck the end of the earphone wire into the music output slot, and then he snug each of the ear pieces securely into his ear. He press play on the ipod, and the track began to play. The longer he listened, the wider his grin became, showing the full size of the dimples on his cheeks.

When the song reached its end, he turned to the sleeping soul on the bed beside him as he continued to smile. He was then about to put the ipod on the bed before leaving the room, but an idea struck him. He gripped the ipod in hand, and then accessed its music app.

---

Lee Jonghyun rolled his wheelchair down the hall towards the living where people were still congregated there. He made his way to them, and settled back into his earlier spot.

“She’s sleeping well?” Yuri asked.

“Yeah” Jonghyun replied. “But when you guys go to sleep, can you place the blanket over her body. I’m not allowed to stand for that long to be able to do that.”

“Yea, we should call it a night soon, we still have a lot of schedules tomorrow.” Said Taeyeon emphatically as she looked at the clock.

“Then I guess we should get going too. It’s too late as it is.” Said Yonghwa.

“Ok hyung.” Jungshin said as he stood up.

“Thanks for hosting us, this was fun.” Minhyuk let out a smile as he said so.

“Tonight was a good night.” Similarly by Jonghyun.

“Yeah, thanks for coming guys. Our maknae was gloomy for the past few days.” Yuri joined in on the goodbyes. And so did Jessica, Sunny, and Seohyun.

“It’s understandable though.”

“Yeah, it is. Thank you guys.”

“Oppa, you promised, alright?”

“Yeah. I’ll rearrange the schedule to be able to make it to you guys’ concert.” Replied to the girl who was still in his arm.

“Ok, I guess that’s the next time we meet.”

“Oh Jonghyun, you better bring us some ice cream.”

“In the winter?”

“Yes, it’s all your fault.”

“Well, I can’t anyway. Because I’d have to special order ingredients from Japan, so I don’t know if I can make it in time since one of the ingredients needs to age well.”

“Aww, is that how it is…well, we’ll have it some other day.”

“Ok.”

“You guys take care, alright? Don’t do anything stupid.”

“I don’t think we can.” The four boys said in unison, each donning a smile.

“But we’ll try to not do anything that will physically hurt us.” Yonghwa continued after he got pinched from the girl in his arms.

“That’s what we wanted.” The girls nodded in unison to Taeyeon’s statement.

“Is this the trash from today?” Jungshin asked after he came back from the kitchen with a bag in hand.

“Yea, can you throw it on your way out?” Sooyoung replied to him.

“Sure.” Jungshin held it above the floor and left by himself.

Minhyuk also stood up, waved his goodbyes and got behind Jonghyun’s wheelchair and pushes it, following Jungshin’s track.

Yonghwa also stood up from the sofa, but the girl in his arm also rises because she was still grabbing onto him. Yonghwa looked down at her and smiled.

“Yah, how about I promise to text you at least once a day to tell you I’m ok?”

Seohyun immediately looks up, incredulous.

“Can you do that oppa?”

“I really don’t think he can.”

“Nope.”

“We exchanged numbers several months ago, and all I got is a text wishing happy birthday.”

“Wait, you got a text saying that? I didn’t even get one!” Jessica noted.

“…” Yonghwa was speechless.

“Oh, my birthday had already passed back then.” She shyly stuck out her tongue. “Wait, that’s so sad for me! He hasn’t even sent me any text!”

“I think these boys are the type that required the other people to make the first move because they’re too focused on their equipments.”

“…”

“Oh, remember how stubborn Hyunnie and Yong seobang were back in WGM?”

“Wait, stop. Stop reading into us. Hyu~un, I’ll definitely do it, okay? I promise.” Yonghwa said as he stuck out his pinky with his thumb up.

Seohyun seeing this, smiled and did the same. She intertwined the two digits, and pushed her fist closer to his, making their thumbs coming in contact.

“Un. I trust you, oppa.”

“Ok, good night. Night to you guys too.”

“Oh, not even a kiss good night?” Sunny teased.

“Wow, doesn’t even treat Hyun on the same level as that 7 year old kid.” Jessica entered the fray.

“That’s right huh? She got a kiss and everything.” And Sooyoung pouts her lips as she teased.

Yonghwa just shyly walked away as the girls threw their remarks, knowing not to fall into their trap. As soon as Yonghwa closed the door behind him, the girls all sat down as Taeyeon went to get the schedule for the coming dates. 

 

------------

 

A/N: i wanted to finish the story with the ipod, but then i realized it has gotten too long. so i guess i'll expand it and begin a new book about it, or do a side story.