Book 2.01

The Glass and The Rock

 

“Are you guys ready?” the spokesperson for the interview asked them as she opened the door to their private room.

“Yes.” Lee Jonghyun replied with a smileas he stood up, showing his frame in the full tux.

“Alright guys. The press will see you now. Please come out.” She replied, seeming to have blushed seeing the appearance of the dimples on this man’s face.

“Neh.” Jung Yonghwa replied, refitting his tie as he stood up. “Guys, let us go.”

The other two dongsaengs followed suit, matching their brothers’ pace out the door. With Yonghwa leading the way, each strutting in a suit fitting their clean cut look even though they are a rock band, the four seemed like four brothers off a gangster flick. As they made their ways down the empty hall, they seemed to be nervous.

“I never thought we’d have a press conference like this.” Lee Jungshin spoke up, losing his childish side for the moment.

“Same here,” Kang Minhyuk agreed with the maknae, “I don’t think I’ve ever been as nervous as this.”

“Are you sure?” Yonghwa asked.

“Yes.” Minhyuk confidently replied.

“Do you remember that time when we first stepped on the land of the rising sun without an ounce of Japanese? At the beginning of our venture?” Yonghwa hinted at him.

“Ahh” Minhyuk shook.

“HAHAHA, you actually did that, didn’t you? You’re not doing that now so it must have been much more nerve wrecking back then.” Jonghyun laughed for a bit.

“I wish I could have been there to see it,” Jungshin interjects, “I would have been able to make fun of him our whole life.”

Yonghwa laughed. “Lucky for him because if you were there, I don’t think he can live it down.”

Everybody let out a big laugh. Then the silence returned after a while as they continued to walk toward their destination. Yonghwa exhaled and turned around, as did Jungshin and Minhyuk, all waiting for the lagging Jonghyun to catch up.

“I don’t think this is as big a deal as everyone made out to believe, so just calm down. As long we have the demeanor we’ve have all this while, the four of us will be good.”

The four of them smiled, and continued on.

"Jonghyun, you’re the man of the hour, so sit in the middle, alright? I’ll lead you to your seat.” Yonghwa spoke.

“I think so too hyung, I’ll help you into your seat.” Minhyuk said.

“We all did it, don’t treat me like this just because I limp.” Jonghyun said with disappointment.

“Sure, but since you’re injured anyway hyung, we have to settle you down, I don’t think you’re able to sit yourself down properly.” Jungshin spoke up.

“I can.” Jonghyun replied.

“Yea, I think you can too.” Yonghwa agreed with a smirk, “and by the time you do, the conference would have been over.”

The boys let out more laughter. This time more than before. Finally, it died down, before the conference floor.

“Let’s do this, guys.” Yonghwa said.

“Un!” all three replied.

They walked toward a table at the center of an erected stage floor. On the table were mics. As soon as they pass the curtains and were in plain view, they were subjected to several flashing lights. Camera clicks were going off like mad as the blue boys situated themselves on the chairs prepared for them. Just like what they had discussed before, Jonghyun had quite a bit of hard time getting into his seat. Yonghwa and Minhyuk were there at his right and left and were able to sit him down.

“We are CN Blue.” Yonghwa spoke up. “We’re here to inform you, as well as all the Boice around the world, that we have to regretfully cancel a few of our concerts due to some complications we’ve met along the way. For all those that have anticipated our arrival, we sincerely apologize.”

The four bowed after Yonghwa finished his sentence. Flashes of light were still going off.

“If there are any questions regarding the details of to why we have to do so, please be mindful. We only did this because we saw it fitting; although it may seem like we’re neglecting the fans that has pushed us this far into the world of music, but we would rather let our popularity plummets than force a member of ours to endure what he is going through just for our sake. We will announce what our intentions are after he has fully recovered. Other than this, there is nothing new for us to announce.”

Yonghwa faces the camera as he went through with this decision. He looked to his brothers to his right, and the other three smiles and nodded in approval.

“So as for the reason, we can all assume that this is because of Lee Jonghyun ssi?” A female reporter asks.

“Yes.” Jonghyun spoke up. “It is entirely my fault that our band is in this predicament. I am thankful for my brothers understanding of my situation; and I’ll take this opportunity to apologize to all the fans that I’ve wronged because of these canceled concerts.”

“Is the injury you have sustained due to that event?” another female reporter asked.

Jonghyun nodded his head grimly.

“I think I speak for all of us here,” a male reporter interjected this time, “that we wouldn’t be human if we are to spin this story in any way that would put the blame on the CN Blue boys.”

The man let go of the camera in his hand, letting it dangled from his neck, and began to clap. All at once, the flashing lights that were going off from the cameras in the conference room stopped, and a loud roar exploded from the room. Everybody excluding people who were holding camcorders for their respective news shows were clapping their hand together for the boys. Seeing this sight, the blue boys dropped their heads in embarrassment, smiling sheepishly as they tried to stop their ears from going red.

“It’s amazing to see something so daring. Jonghyun ssi, you are truly brave.” A person complimented him.

“Yes, what was going through your head at the time?” A female reporter asked.

“I don’t think he was thinking at all.”  Jungshin spoke up.

This causes the boys to laugh, as well as everybody else in the room.

Jonghyun smiled sheepishly. “It’s just as he said, I really didn’t think of anything at that moment. I just reacted.”

“If that is the case, then you’re really no different from what you show people. Unconsciously, you are also a person with a good heart.” She said.

The room nodded at the statement.

“Wait, I thought the image he was going for was of introvert person who’s a guitar freak.” Jungshin once again made another crack. Another roaring laughter came from the conference room.

“I guess I don’t need to remind anybody here that all of the CN Blue members had a hand in this.” The reporter continued.

“I blame hyung. Him ‘not having anything running through his head’ is contagious and contaminated us.” Minhyuk spoke up. Everybody smiled, “Additionally, we would like to send our regards to those that helped us at that time, we don’t know what would happen if you haven’t been there.”

“Minhyuk ssi, was it painful catching Jonghyun ssi like that? He must have been heavy.” The reporter continued.

“I really didn’t have anything running through my mind at that time either. But if I have to visualize it, then I must have imagined hyung as a girl whom I love, so I couldn’t let her get hurt.”

Everybody once again laughed. “You boys are truly funny. Jonghyun ssi, did you give your prince a well deserved kiss after having caught you?”

“To be honest, he made my heart fluttered when I opened my eyes. But I think the only person who got a kiss that day was Yonghwa hyung there.”

“I don’t think so,” Yonghwa spoke up, “I think Jungshin also got a kiss…from a truck.”

“Hyung~! Don’t joke about that! I was really scared.”

“I think you were the bravest of us all, Jungshin.”

“I really hope I wouldn’t have to do it a second time.”

“So back to the kiss, Yonghwa really was the only person?” The reporter asked again.

“Yes. I felt bad for Jonghyun. He was the person that rushed in first, sustained an injury, I only came in near the end and stole all the glory.”

“You guys are too modest.” She said.

“Yes, it was evident from all the videos uploaded on the internet by bystanders that asides from Jungshin ssi, both Yonghwa ssi and Minhyuk ssi sustained at least light skin injuries, while Jonghyun ssi has a fracture.” Another reported added his comment.

The boys were stumped.

“To be frank,” Yonghwa spoke up after a long silence, “I’m speaking for the rest of the band, that this is not something that deserves all this attention. We simply did what anybody would have done if they were in our shoes. Also, we would like to thank everybody for showing us that a random act of kindness deserves praise, and we hope that those who are truly kind are receiving praises as well. Contrastively, we once again would like to apologize to our fans out there. We will try our best to see you soon.”

The four brothers bowed once again.

“There it is, this here ends our conference.” A man standing beside the table began to speak. “We would like CN Blue band to get their well deserved rest, as they will do their best to recuperate. For those who attended this conference, I as the CEO of FNC Entertainment, thank you.”

The four boys stood up. Jonghyun with the help of Minhyuk and Yonghwa at his sides, the four took a deep bow and exited the stage. Camera flashes were going off until the boys have left from their sight. They continued making their way back down the hall toward the resting room they were in before. Jungshin made it first, held the door for all his oncoming hyungs. Minhyuk and Yonghwa were walking beside Jonghyun, both of his arm were thrown over their shoulders.

“I told you if you can’t handle it, use a crutch.” Yonghwa spoke up irritatingly.

“I was ok hyung…” Jonghyun said, “Until I wasn’t.”

“Idiot.” Minhyuk said.

“Yah, what did you said?” Jonghyun retorted.

“I called you an idiot hyung. If you keep pushing yourself and hurting yourself more in the process, then you’re hurting us too.” Minhyuk replied undaunted.

“He’s right, Jonghyun.” Yonghwa concurred.

Looking to his right at Minhyuk, Jonghyun let out a big sigh. “I’m sorry, guys. I’ll take better care of myself.”

The three entered the room, followed by Jungshin. In the room, there was a wheelchair that wasn’t there before. The boys walked toward it, and lying on the seat, there was a note addressed to Jonghyun. Knowing who sent the item, the boys handed the message to Jonghyun. He opened it up, and his eye widen for a bit. Then further down the line, he let out a smile.

 

PABO! IF YOU DON’T TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF, YOU’RE GOING DOWN.

 

 

PS: I miss you. I’ll see you soon.

 

Jonghyun then sat down on the seat of the wheelchair, sigh a relaxed sigh. Each of the other three boys also found places to rest, as this has been a long day.