Book 1.05(End)

The Glass and The Rock

 

“Oh!” Sunny spoke up, “Let’s exchange phone numbers.”

“That’s a bad idea.” Seohyun said.

“Nope, not a good idea at all.” Taeyeon agreed.

“Huh? Why?” Tiffany also wanted to exchange numbers with the boys.

“They rarely phone or text.” Seohyun said glaring at Yonghwa as an example.

“I have that kid’s number for about a year now too.” Taeyeon also gestured to Yonghwa. “He had only sent me 3 messages throughout this whole time.”

The girls laughed while the boys smiled sheepishly. Knowing it was a fact.

“Well, whatever. Let’s just do it, just in case some emergency situation arises.”

They began sharing each other’s numbers. The boys simply wrote their numbers on a sheet of paper because they were in the minority. Each of them received a text from the girls as confirmation. Yoona too did what everyone else did, until she reaches Jonghyun’s phone number at the end of the list. She hesitated, remembering the reason that sent her into that frustration.

Seohyun looked at her unnie, and nudges her to do it. But Yoona was still hesitating. Seeing this, Seohyun spoke what was on her mind.

“Jonghyun oppa, remember a few years back when I asked for your number to give to Yoona and you said no?” Seohyun spoke up.

“Yeah.” Jonghyun replied, clearing his throat.

“You told me not to give her your number because you didn’t want to be friends with her.” Seohyun continued.

The other girls and boys had stopped doing what they were doing, intently paying attention to the scene that was about to unfold. Yoona, as soon as Seohyun started, felt piercing pains in her heart. Her hands shook as she stares at her phone, unable to look up at the person sitting across the table from her.

“Yeah.” Jonghyun said simply and shortly.

That simple word shook Yoona hard. Her sisters then went and huddled around her. The girls glared at Jonghyun, but he still had a solemn demeanor, as if their piercing glares mean nothing at this moment. He paid close attention to Yoona, who had her head down the whole while. She, on the other hand, was trying to hold in her tears.

“Yah, Jonghyun, aren’t you being too mean to Yoongie?” Yuri was quick on the defensive.

Jonghyun at this time, unable to answer. Seohyun took notice of the two, and then calmly asked.

“Jonghyun oppa, can you tell us why? You picked Yoona unnie as your ideal type on the radio once; why didn’t you want to be close to your ideal type?”

A solemn cloud covers the living room at that moment. Sounds coming from the TV suddenly stopped as Yonghwa press on the remote. He then sat down besides Jonghyun, wrapped his arm around his dongsaeng’s shoulders and spoke.

“Jonghyun, Just say it. I know you don’t want to do it now, but are you willing to make her wait seeing her like that?” Yonghwa encourages him.

Jonghyun turned his face toward Yoona’s. His eyes caught the regressed and shaking Yoona. He in turn, tried as he might by opening his mouth, but not a single word have yet escaped his mouth. Then Yonghwa snapped his fingers at the other brothers, gesturing something.

“Oppa, you know of the reason?” Seohyun asked. Yoona lifted her head quickly in Yonghwa’s direction as he quietly nodded. Seohyun controlling herself, “and you kept this from me?”

“For one, the topic never came up between the two of us. Second, this is not my place.” Yonghwa spoke with conviction. Then he turned to Jonghyun. “Do it, she’s waiting for you.”

At this time, Minhyuk, who was sitting to the left of Jonghyun, places an acoustic guitar on his lap. Jonghyun looked at his brother and in return, received a smile, pushing him forth.

“Play the song.” Jungshin said.

His fingers ran on the chord of the acoustic guitar lying on his lap. He looked at Yoona, seeing her hands shaking as she held onto her phone, and her lips have retreated into as she scrunched , while her eyes squinted hard, controlling herself as she turned from Yonghwa to Jonghyun. She still, silently looks at him; her eyes glare at him like every time they’ve locked eyes in the past.

“Mianae.” Jonghyun spoke directly towards her. “My love.”

He then plays the chords on the guitar, each of his right hand overlaps with the previous, producing a symphony by himself. He began reciting the lyrics to the song he wrote for the upcoming drama “A Gentleman’s Dignity.” His solemn voice filled the quiet room along with the melody coming from the guitar, while he continues to stare into the deer eye of the girl before him. Half way through the song, tears began to run from Yoona’s eyes the moment she relaxed her glare on him. The drops landed on her phone. Jonghyun brought the concerto to its end right there, unable to continue.

Another moment of silence covered the room.

“He wrote this for Yoona.” Yonghwa spoke, breaking the stillness.

Jonghyun simply nodded, still in direct contact with Yoona’s eyes. He lifted his right hand from the chords, raised it above the table and moves it towards her face. But he suddenly stopped himself, thinking he was out of line.

“Really?” Taeyeon asked after seeing his hesitation.

“I…” Jonghyun spoke up, “Yes.”

“Why such a solemn love song?”

“This is the only thing I can do.”

“Is this your feelings for her?”

“Y…yes.”

“The words ‘my love’ kept on repeating. Does this mean, you love her?”

“I love her.” Jonghyun said as he looked towards Yoona.

Yoona, who was still in direct contact with him as he replied, immediate shot herself forward from the sofa as she faces Jonghyun.

“YOU LIAR!! Then why didn’t you want me to get close to you before!? YOU LIAR!! LIAR! You…liar…” She yelled, and more tears streamed down her face as her voice weakens and she pulled herself back from Jonghyun.

The rest of the members as well as the boys held their voices, knowing that these two needed to sort this out themselves.

“I…………….” Jonghyun…was unable to answer her.

“Do you want me to continue for you?” Yonghwa interjects after a long while of awkward silence and seeing Jonghyun’s hesitancy.

“No…thank you, hyung.” Jonghyun looked straight at Yoona, grasping her hands this time. “I…I didn’t want your number to become your friend…because at that time…”

Yoona pulled her hand away from Jonghyun’s. Her hands slipped out of his grasp, leaving just her phone in his hand. Yoona then lifts both of her legs up to her chest, lowered her head towards it and continued to sob.

“I’m sorry…” Jonghyun was heartbroken seeing her cry like this as he pulled his hands back that were once above the table, settling it on the guitar, “I didn’t want to become your friend because I wanted myself to mean more than that. I loved you from way before, and I didn’t want us to get to know each other…if we simply going to stop at the point where we are friends.”

Jonghyun now dropped his gaze toward the guitar that sat on his lap as he used his thumbs to wiped Yoona’s phone that was filled with tears. At the same time, Yoona lifts her head from her knees, stunned with her eyes wide open.

“You…” Yoona began to speak.

“I…”Jonghyun spoke at the same time, but he couldn’t hear her coarse voice over his and he continued. “I wanted you to love me. I didn’t think when I first rejected your request to exchange phone number would hurt you.”

“IT DIDN’T HURT ME!” Yoona shouted as she instantly shot herself to a standing position, “IT ANNOYED ME! IT FRUSTRATED ME! IT MADE ME WANT TO HURT YOU, IT…grrrrr…made me want to hate you.”

Jonghyun looked up as she continued to rant.

“God I wanted to hate you…” she wiped left and right to clear the tears on her cheeks, “but it was impossible for me to hate you. I couldn’t hate you, no matter how hard I tried, no matter how often I tried, I…just couldn’t do it. I couldn’t do it…”

“I’m sorry.”

“ARGH!!! Don’t you dare apologize to me! I tried to ignore you, acted like your presence was meaningless to me. But I couldn’t do it. I HATED MYSELF because I couldn’t do it! I just couldn’t get you out of my mind.”

“I love you, Im Yoona.”

“Don’t you dare say that to me either!!! I hated myself, paying attention to whatever you do. Getting online, searching stuff about you. Wait for you on Monday as you run just to catch a glimpse. Writing things down to remind me of you, repeating the lyrics you wrote. I couldn’t stop……myself…….from falling for you.”

“Huh?”

“Don’t you dare ‘huh’ me either! How could you be so oblivious?”

“What do you mean oblivious?! When have you ever showed anything of that sort?”

“Girls only give hints when it come secretive feelings! GAHH!!”

“The heck!?”

“It’s the guy’s job to figure it out!”

“W…wuh...at?!”

“IT’S a test to see if the feeling is Mutual! PABO!”

“Wait, wait, wait a second here.” Yonghwa interject in the bickering. “Yoona, did you hear him?”

“What, what did he say?” Yoona turned to Yonghwa.

“He said ‘I love you, Im Yoona.’” Yonghwa responded.

“Huh?” Yoona was choking up. “He did?”

“YES HE DID!” everyone replied.

“I love you, Im Yoona.” Jonghyun reiterate himself.

Yoona at this moment in time, froze. She looked at her sisters to the left, whom nodded their heads. Then turned to the right, also nodding their head to reconfirm what has been said. She looked straight at Jonghyun.

“Give me my phone.” Yoona held out her hand as she glares at him.

“What? Why?” irregardless to what he said, Jonghyun still handed her phone back to her.

“Shut up and wait.” Yoona spoke clearly, dropping back onto the sofa. Running her fingers through her phone. Sifting through thousands and thousands of messages she received and sent throughout the years. Finally ended at the message she sent years ago. She then typed another to the same recipient.

Moments later, Jonghyun’s phone vibrated. The old one. He looked at Yoona, who was still staring at her phone, not lifting her head.

“Check it!” the girls shouted knowingly.

He reached for the phone. He pressed on the text message icon, staring at the new message in his inbox in the three years old phone.

YAHH PABOO!!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU!!!

He stares at it for a good amount. The sender of the message was also blocked. He held the phone out to the childish girl before him.

“This is you?” he asked.

The girls smiled as they read the message, and then squealed as Yoona slowly nods her head.

“Im Yoona, look at me.”

“NO.” she once again pulled her legs up to her chest, and cowers her head into it.

Her sisters decided it was time to leave her alone, so they all removed themselves from the sofa. They came near Jonghyun, pushing him forward and toward the lonesome balled up girl on the sofa. He walks slowly towards her. Reaffirmed the text message he had just received from her, while slowing down his heart rate. He dropped right before her, sitting on the couch leveled table they just had dinner on. He then leans forward near the balled up girl, inches away from her hands that were wrapping around her shins.

“I Love you, Im Yoona.” His breath hits her fingers, so she quickly pulled her hands and kid them between her stomach and thighs.

“I love you so much Yoona.” She shook her head while in that position, trying to stop her racing heart from exploding.

“Welp, I tried.” He immediately stood up. The wind of his sudden action hits Yoona. She immediately looked up as she frantically looks for him, but was stopped in her track after seeing his face inches above hers as he had already positioned himself with his arm pushing against the wall behind the sofa. She immediately squinted her eyes.

“What the? How is this any moment to glare at me?” Lee Jonghyun said as he backed away from the glaring girl.

Yoona sisters came close to inspect the reason why he said such a thing.

“Yea, she is squinting her eyes.” Hyoyeon spoke up, being the first to notice.

“She does this every time Jonghyun meets up with us though.” Taeyeon, the perceptive leader of the group spoke up from behind the two, “Like even when he thanks her, she’d squint. Oh and she doesn’t do this when the three other blue boys visit us either. Just when Lee Jonghyun is present.”

“Hm, didn’t she say she loves him?” Sunny spoke up.

“YAH!” Yoona shouted, “I never said I lo….said that!”

“Well, that’s true.” Sunny agreed after a moment of thought.

“Yeah. Seems like she’s only toying with him with that text message. No one would automatically squint seeing the person the love.” Yuri began to tease. Nodding to the other SNSD girls, who were quick on the uptake.

“Sorry, Jonghyun. Seems like your confession fell flat.” Yonghwa too, smirked.

“W…Wait!” Yoona screams. “No…noooo….I don’t….”

“Sorry Jonghyun ssi,” Sooyoung filled in, “Yoona doesn’t love you.”

“WAIIIIITTTT!!!” Yoona screams at the top of her lungs. Which in turns reeled in the attention of all those present. She notices this and dropped back down to the sofa. “I love him.” She said softly. Then, she aimed her sight back toward Lee Jonghyun, who was still standing motionless, not knowing what to do. As soon as she spotted him, she immediately furrowed her brows.

“Wahhh! She did it again!” Seohyun spoke up looking at her unnie, and then looked at the direction of her eye sight.

“Taeyeon unnie is right,” Jessica interjects, “she does squint every time she looks at him.”

“Stop making fun of me!” Yoona grabbed the couch pillow and swung left and right at her sisters.

The girls retreated from the sofa, running as they screamed in jest.

“Why do you do that?” Lee Jonghyun asked the glaring girl.

“None of your business.” Yoona looked to the side, avoid eye contact with him. Her eyes began to relax.

“Yah, that’s not fair to me.” He replied.

“Wait a second,” Jungshin stops his hyung, “irregardless of what she does, isn’t she giving you special treatment anyway, hyung?”

“That is true.” Yonghwa concurred.

“Yeah. That makes sense.” Seohyun spoke up. “If she only does it with him, that mean she thinks he alone has some sort of special place in her heart.”

“N…no he doesn’t.” Yoona was still looking at the side, unable to look at Jonghyun in the face.

“’I love him’” Jessica mocked her by repeating what Yoona had said moments ago.

“YAH you!” Yoona looked towards Jessica direction, with her arm already motioned to toss the pillow in her hand. She immediately stopped seeing Jessica hiding behind Jonghyun. Her eyes immediately squint. But she lowered her face right away, conscious of what was going on.

“Kyaaa!” Yuri screams “She did it again!”

The other girls also squealed as they hopped around. Jonghyun scratched the back of his head, still unable to logically process what was going on.

“Unnie, why do you do that?” Seohyun asks.

“It’s not my fault.” Yoona replied grumpily, still with her head lowered. “It’s his fault.”

“What the?” Lee Jonghyun snapped out of his daze. “I honestly still don’t know what is going on. I know this is the first time I’ve confessed to a girl, but isn’t this…really a weird reaction coming from a girl?”

“KYAA! It’s his first confession.” Sunny squealed.

“Omo! Yoona’s so lucky. Wait, I remember he said on interviews he’s dated before.”

“Yes I’ve dated in high school. But I’ve never been the one to make the confession, I really don’t know what I’m suppose to do? Did I fail?”

“No no, she said ‘I love him’ to you.”

Yoona smiled with her face still hanging down.

“You know Yoona, us joking around aside, Jonghyun has already confessed to you. Whatever you need to say, you have to let it out.” Taeyeon said. “We can leave you two alone if you guys need to talk it over.”

“No!” Yoona immediately faced her sister. “You can’t, I don’t know what will happen to me if you leave me alone with him. I might die because of him.”

“What am I, a killer?” Jonghyun voiced his objection to her statement.

“No, you’re an evil thief with a dimple smile.” She replied, not even looking at him.

Lee Jonghyun, unable to cope with what was going on, let out an exasperated sigh.

“I guess he stole your heart with his smile,” Tiffany said, “Is that what you mean?”

Yoona simply nod. Causing the girls to just run toward Jonghyun and pats him in the shoulders. The boys too, thought the sight was cute, but they left it up to the girls to overload.

“Jonghyun, sit down on the floor.” Yonghwa commanded his dongsaeng.

Jonghyun stuttered a bit, but still follows his hyung’s words. He sat down on the floor, facing the table that was in between him and Yoona. Yonghwa then pushes Jonghyun’s head down on the table, he felt a bit of resistance, but Jonghyun’s head still lay on the crossed arms on the table, as his forehead rests on his forearm.

“Don’t look up, got it.”

“Un.”

Yoona was still unaware of what Yonghwa wanted to do, she just watch the scene in silence. The other girls also were unable to read Yonghwa’s intention. Seohyun however, was already in the kitchen, bringing out the tea pot that was simmering that was ready to be served.

“Yoona…” Yonghwa spoke up. “Tell him what you want to tell him. Start first with why you squint. I think I know what’s going on, because I developed a weird habit before because of a girl too. I’ll hold his head down, just in case.”

“Oppa,” Seohyun interjects. “What did you mean by that?”

Yonghwa just waved his hand, trying to shush her. But still, he was unable to face her glaring eyes. At this time, he held out his hand toward Yoona. She looked shock, but still gave Yonghwa her hand. He flipped her hand with the palm side facing down, places it atop Jonghyun’s head. Yoona resisted a bit, even clenching her fist before touching the hair on Jonghyun’s head. But her strength was no where near Yonghwa, and her hand finally landed on his head.

“OK. His head is secure. Tell him what you want.”

All eyes were on her this moment, but Seohyun began giving them tea and gestured them to leave the living room, and they followed. Yoona seeing her sisters and the blue boys have already left the room, relaxed a bit. Looking down at the head on the table before her, she let out a slight smile. Silence covered the room for a bit. Jonghyun patiently waited, as eager as he was, he was no disrespectful child.

“I…” The moment Yoona spoke up, she could feel the head below her hand shook a bit. “The reason, why, I squint my eyes…every time I see Lee Jonghyun, is because, it’s my way of controlling my emotions. I didn’t think it would become a habit. I was frustrated when he rejected me, and every time I met him before, I would try my best to hide this emotion from bursting, I didn’t want to scream at him. But now…” She ruffled with his hair a bit, making him twitch. She let out a soft smile as she continued. “Now that I think back to it, I don’t think that was the reason why I began squinting at him. I began liking him before I was frustrated with him. I’ve never seen him in real life before, but I know and remember when I began liking him. It may have not been love, but his voice singing ‘Can I love you?’ on WGM made my heart skipped a beat back then. From that moment on, I kept searching for news on him. The frustration came after that, when I couldn’t get his phone number. I didn’t know why it was so annoying to me, I mean, it wasn’t the first it has happened to me. But him, just him specifically, rejecting me, it nagged me. I thought he was just some random nobody that said that, and I tried to forget that, but over time, he kept growing inside me. So much so that when we were introduced to Hyun’s CN Blue family, I could feel my heart races across the tracks inside my body knowing that he would be there. I couldn’t face him, but even though it was hard for me to do so, I had to prove to myself that I was fine. I was ok when I faced him, my heart was fine, and I thought to myself that I was fine. But when he smiled at me after he got the bowl, I literally wanted to jump and beat him up.”

“Yah, noona is such a gangster.” Jungshin said from the kitchen. At that time, Yoona looked to the side and see all the leaning heads sneakily hanging from the side door. She was shocked. But Taeyeon gestured her to go on and speak toward the head still lying down on the table.

Yoona began to ruffle his hair once again, and she continued, knowing this might be the only chance she could get her feelings off her chest freely. “I squinted and glared at him, and that was my way of controlling my feelings. I thought, I did this because I was holding myself back from hurting him, that I hated him. But I could never, in the entire time I got to know him, could ever hate him. I love him so much, that it made me mad that he didn’t love me back.”

“But I do love you.” Lee Jonghyun replied, still with his head laying face down.

“Yah!” Yoona slapped him across the head. “Don’t speak.” Yoona felt a nod, and she smiled again. “Even when he doesn’t mean it, he keeps stealing pieces of me, even if I had my guard up. Every moment in the day, that my mind isn’t occupied with working schedules that keeps me busy to even have one minute to myself, he would somehow creep in from whatever evil depth he comes from, and begins to invade my heart.”

Lee Jonghyun at this time, pulled his right hand from under him, and lands it on the laying palm on the back of his head, grabbing it in the process. Yoona tried to pull it away, but his grip was too strong. He held her hand for a long while, without speaking a word, with his head still facing the table. She finally gave in, and moved her right hand towards the two hands that were intertwining. Her hands massage his as she continued to speak.

“I’m glad, knowing that he feels the same way I do about him. But I wish he shows it so I wouldn’t feel so frustrated, every single day.”

Jonghyun immediately shot back up, now with both of his hands grabbing hers, not allowing them to escape. He stared directly into her eyes, she immediately furrowed her brows. Seeing this, Jonghyun let out a small chuckle.

“Yah, what are you doing? You’re not allowed to lift your head.” Tried as she might, she could not render her hands free.

“I do try to show that I care for you Yoona.” Lee Jonghyun spoke.

“Liar, when?” Yoona retorts.

“I made my favorite ice cream just for you.”

“WHAT?!?!” Everybody ran out from the kitchen and tackled him at once. He almost fell to the floor, but somehow he still maintains a strong grip onto Yoona’s hands.

“You!” Taeyeon yelled “You made the ice cream?!”

“How do you make it!?”

Everybody was bombarding question regarding ice cream towards him. Yoona was stunned at the moment, and Jonghyun was utterly in shock because he hadn't notice anything besides Yoona after he looked up. Noticing this, Yonghwa clapped his hands to straighten out everybody. Immediately, everyone released of their urge to question him, but still not satisfy enough to leave his side. Pretty much, they were trying to corner him once he has finished with this conversation.

“You…made the blueberry ice cream, for me?” Yoona asked, still in a state of astonishment.

“You’re the only girl I know that has ice cream as a favorite food.” Jonghyun said sheepishly.

“Yah yah! My favorite food now is blueberry ice cream!” Sooyoung said.

“Mine too, I eat it with anything!” Sunny chimed in.

“I live and breathe blueberry ice cream.” And so did the Kid Leader.

“My new nickname is the Blueberry Ice Queen.” Said Jessica with no hesitation at all.

Jonghyun let out a small laugh. Yoona did too. She looked down from her sisters who were currently in children mode, seeing that their hands are still intertwining with each others, she smiled.

“Yah, didn’t you hear my Jonghyun said he made it for me?!” Yoona yelled.

Jonghyun was stunned. Yoona was still trying to avoid eye contact with him, as she sets her eyes intently on the girls.

“KYAA! Did you hear?! She said ‘my Jonghyun’!”

“So what?! He is my Jonghyun!! He is my love! I love that he makes ice cream especially just for me!”

“So you only love him for his ice cream?” Yuri remarked on Yoona’s previous comment.

“What? No…” Yoona replied as she stutters. Jonghyun was still staring at her. She took in a deep breath, and her eyes stared right back at him. “I love him because he is Lee Jonghyun.”

“And I love Im Yoona,” Jonghyun replied as he looks at her, “who is my muse for eternity.”

They finally let out a big smile on each of their faces. Still holding onto each other’s hands, neglecting everyone beside them, they simply stared at each other. Yoona retracted one of her hand from Jonghyun’s loosened grasp and smacked him across the head.

“Damn you, quit stealing parts of me with your smile.”

“Wae! I can’t help but smile whenever I see your face.”

“Haven’t you stolen enough parts of me already, PABO?!”

“Are you saying I haven’t robbed everything?”

“Yonghwa, isn’t he suppose to be an introvert?” Yoona asked the hyung, “How can he be so cheesy?”

“Yea, Lee Jonghyun doesn’t speak much to people outside his circle.” Yonghwa replied, “But I’m afraid that the person you’re confessing to is our new lead guitarist, Lee Imyoo, and he is rather open about his feelings.”

The boys laughed out loud, as did Yoona. The other girls were confused for the moment while Jonghyun was hanging his head down in embarrassment, but he never let go of what was gripped in his hands.

----------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: I had this for a while, but only recently finished it. 

There isn't much in the first book regarding how they fell for each other, so im planning to make some side stories as to how they fell during the time skip. I tried to faithfully follow the timeline, if anyone sees a section that's out of wack, let me know. 

I have some more ideas as to how to continue the story, that's the main reason why i called each chapter Book (this and im terribly uncreative when it comes to naming things). i think at the very least, i'll have 3 Books for this couple.