Book 2.03

The Glass and The Rock

 

Everyone saves for Jonghyun who was unable to move from his wheelchair that had situated at one end of the sofa, helped out with moving the dinner plates onto the table in the living room. After just a short while, the girls got additional bowls and utensils for the new guests, and began picking a place near the table filled with food, facing the television before them.

“Oh, you guys were watching the news?” Jungshin asked as he reaches for a piece of kimchi.

“Yes.” Seohyun answered, still with a bit of frustration.

Glancing over to the girl next to him, Yonghwa picked a piece of fish and placed it on her bowl.

“I’m fine, Hyu~un. I’m right here.”

“Un.” Seemingly still dissatisfied, she ate the food.

“Seems like she can’t resist her nampyeong, she hasn’t eaten anything tonight beside that.” Sunny remarked.

“Well, I guess I need to feed her like a child tonight then.” Yonghwa replied as he picked up another piece with his chopsticks and held it before , gesturing “ah” with his mouth.

“N..no, I can eat by myself.” Seohyun said in a hurry, and then quickly pick up other pieces of food on the dinner plates.

The room burst out in laughter as everybody reaches out for more food, saves for Jonghyun.

“You’re not eating?” Taeyeon directed a question towards the lonesome man in the wheelchair.

“Let him be.” Yoona, who was on the sofa beside him, said in an indifference tone as she gulped down food in her bowl.

“Yes, hyung already had a bit too much.” Jungshin followed.

“He wasn’t eating on his own, mind you,” it was now Yonghwa’s turn, “it was more like he was forced feed like a baby by his mother right there.” He gestured with his chopsticks at Yoona.

The girls giggled, understanding what he meant. Jonghyun was still trying to avoid eye contact with them by focusing his attention on the television.

“I almost threw up because I was so full.” He retorts.

And he got a side smack on the head. “Then don’t do it next time.”

“Yes, umma.” Jonghyun replied with a smirk.

“Yah!” Yoona yelled out. “Just watch TV.”

Everybody was laughing at the childish couple. Jonghyun changed the channel until he reaches a cartoon show and watches it. Everybody else was focusing on their conversations as they finish the food in a lightning speed. After they finished, Seohyun, Jungshin, Minhyuk, Jessica, and Yoona opted out to doing the dishes, while the remaining people continued their chattering over tea and snacks.

“So how long will you guys postpone your tour?” Tiffany asked.

“I don’t know.” Jungshin replied, reaching for another cracker.

“Maybe another three weeks.” Jonghyun replied with a bit of hesitation. “The doctor said that I need to have the cast for at most two weeks, while I need an additional one to do a bit of therapy. But we do need a few days afterward to sort everything out.”

“Wow, that’s a bit too quick, don’t you think?”

“I don’t think so.” Minhyuk replied.

“I think both hyungs are becoming restless because they have nothing to do. Well, Yonghwa hyung still composes, but Jonghyun hyung is just being annoying.” Jungshin remarked. The girls laughed.

“It’s true.” Yonghwa confirmed the statement as he took a sip of tea. “But we can continue a bit of our schedule appearances though, nothing too physically demanding, mind you, since Minhyuk knees still seem to be hurting also.”

“I understand the restless part, but what do you mean ‘annoying’?” directing his attention from the television to Jungshin.

“Hyung, you had nothing to do but to practice, so if you’re any time away from the guitar, you’d just moan like a ghost.” Jungshin said in spite.

“Yea. What’s annoying is that because he has so much sleep in the day, he’d wake up in the middle of the night with nothing to do, he’d moan also.” Yonghwa added. “We often fright at night thinking our place is haunted.”

The girls were laughing as they listened.

“I remember just a few nights back,” Minhyuk continues the relentless onslaught at Jonghyun, “I was getting milk after waking up. It was really dark, but I know the way to the fridge. I opened it, got the milk out of the fridge. And because of the fridge light was shinning, I heard ‘hey, Minhyuk,’ I turned to the voice and saw a paled faced ghost smiling at me from the couch. I literally dropped the milk and ran to Yonghwa hyung’s room. After we the light though, we realized that it was this guy here who was awake because he had already slept too much.” Minhyuk ended his story as he points to Jonghyun, who at this time was drinking his cup in embarrassment.

Everybody started laughing and mimicking the and direct them at the embarrassed Jonghyun, who now dropped his head further due to the embarrassment. At this time, the dish cleaning crew came back from their services and joined in with the rest. Yoona with a cup in hand, sat at the empty spot left for her at the corner of the sofa.

“Here, milk.” Said Yoona as she held the cup of milk in front of Jonghyun’s face.

“Ugh.” Jonghyun replied, still hating milk even after all these years.

“You know what the doctor said.” Yoona hint at him, making Jonghyun grab the cup from her hand. He stares at it for a bit, and then gulped it down.

“What did he say?” Jessica asked after situated herself between her sisters.

“Jonghyun’s hyung was fortunate that his bone mass is larger than the average, so the hit incurred wasn’t as damaging.” Jungshin said as his mouth still stuffed with food.

“It’s all thanks to Yonghwa hyung…he forced us to drink it from when we were back in Japan.” Minhyuk added. “The doctor also said the same thing to me when he inspected my kneecaps.”

The girls nodded knowingly.

“How about you Yonghwa? Is your body ok?” Yuri asked.

“Yes, the doctor said I sustained the least damage of us three.” Yonghwa replied nonchalantly. Then he turned to his side and saw Seohyun who was holding into his arm shaking as she held her head down. “Speaking of which,” Yonghwa continued, “He confirmed that there is absolutely nothing wrong with me, although I still need somebody to apply the scar diminishing medicine on my back.”

Seohyun immediately looked up at him, and he graced her with his smiling face. She looked around to everybody else who were in the room, to which they also greeted her with a knowing smile.

“It’s time, I need someone to reapply the medicine and replace the bandaging again.” Yonghwa spoke. Causing Seohyun to blush as he stands and she follows.

Yonghwa went to grab his bag, and then followed Seohyun who already made a hasty retreat into her dorm room.

“Yah! Don’t do anything weird in there.” Sooyoung threw a final tease at the couple as they disappeared from the living room.

“So, how are you guys this week?” Jonghyun asked the SNSD girls.

“There are a lot of schedules we have to get through this week.” Taeyeon replied while every one nods in silence, munching on snacks and sipping the tea. “Two concerts this week, and each of us has to fly everywhere individually doing TV appearances and CFs, as well as some photo shoots.”

“We talked of changing our schedules a bit because we haven’t done anything to wish you guys well after the incident.” Jessica said.

“Oh.” The boys replied at once, nodding in silence to give thanks to the girls.

“Don’t worry about it.” Jonghyun spoke up. ”We were getting visits from people left and right, I don’t think the hospital could have accommodate if you girls also visited us.”

“Oh,” Yuri spoke up, “I heard that the hospital was crowded with people because of you guys. Is that right?”

“Yeah. Me and Yonghwa hyung were admitted for only a day for tests and bandaging, while Jonghyun hyung were there for two so they could put a cast on him. I didn’t think it was that big of a deal for the hospital to be filled up with people like that.” Minhyuk replied.

“Well, you guys are celebrities though, adding to the fact that it was newsworthy.” Jessica noted.

“Jungshin had it worse in that whole mess though.” Jonghyun spoke.

“I know. I even felt like the joints of my fingers were about to dislocate the day after.” Jungshin replied with a laugh.

“Haha, yeah. When I came back after the check up, I saw him going from one phone to the next texting replies.” Minhyuk also laughed.

“AND you didn’t even lend me a land!” Jungshin yelled. At this time, Jungshin grabbed his knees and pulled it close to his body and started rocking his body, “hyung did this the whole time, like he needs his knees to text a message!”

The girls laughed.

“I was in soooo much pain Jungshin,” Minhyuk replied pretending to cry as he mimicked Jungshin’s actions. This causes Jungshin to dip a finger into his tea and flicked the wet finger at his hyung. The girls laughed at the childish boys.

From the beginning of the chat, after Jonghyun finished with his milk and handed it back to Yoona, the two had already intertwine their fingers as they held hands.

“There were even videos online when he was getting irritated with the text messages.” Jonghyun laughed. “Oh, speaking of which, when did you guys find out? You guys had that concert right?”

“Un.” Yoona replied nonchalantly. “It was right after we finished.”

“Ohhh, she’s being so calm right now.” Said Sunny, the girl who never misses a chance to tease.

“Yes. We found out via our phones.” Jessica added further information to Yoona’s statement.

“I had to tell manager hyung what happened, and he pretty much blew his gasket to the whole company. I think manager hyung was first, then a few more from the company, then you guys, and more groups from the company asking us what happened. The timing varied a lot, at some point, I even considered turning off the phones. I talked to hyungsoonim too. Then other people that we know, and the fans emailed us too. God, it was so painful for me to reply to all of those.” Jungshin chimed in after he and Minhyuk stopped bickering.

“I’m not sure if you guys know this, but all nine of us are member of Boice fanclub.” Taeyeon chimed in. followed by more girls.

“Yea, so we get notifications of what people posted on the forums.”

“All of us were really scared for you guys.”

“Sorry for that.” The three boys bowed sheepishly.

“But compared to us, both Seohyun and Yoona had the worse reaction.”

“What are you talking about?” Yoona was pretending to be cool about the situation.

“Oy, don’t be so coy about it.”

“To me, Yoona’s reaction beats Seohyun by a mile.”

“So this is what happened.” Taeyeon was about to tell the story. “Jessica, you’re Yoona and Yuri, you’re Seohyun,” said as she points to the two girls who were both grinning while nodding.

But then Yoona interrupted them.

“Yah! Stop it. Ok ok, I know I was frightened. Let it go.”

Jonghyun smiled as he looked at Yoona’s distraught.

“You guys should continue. I wanna see if her reaction matches my expectation.”

Yoona turned and glared at him. “What do you mean ‘expectation’? You have a scenario in mind of how I should act if you get hurt?” she spoke as she tried to pull her hand away from him. But his grip was too strong. He kept holding onto her and smiled.

“Well, ever since you rushed to me at the dorm, you seem all calm and collected. I wondered if that was how you really were.” Jonghyun replied as he defends himself from Yoona’s hits. “You guys can go on, I got her.”

“Well, let us continue then.” Taeyeon and the rest let out a laugh at the two and began speaking again. “So what happened was we were done with our concert for the night and made our way to the dressing room. Everything was really hectic like usual, and we finished changing from our stage costumes.”

“It took longer than usual because we had to put on several layers because the weather was getting colder.”

“Yea, so when we finished, we all our phones. I think Hyoyeon was the first to react, well, because she never turns her phone off.”

“I didn’t know what happened, but my notification center was going off like crazy. I kept on getting messages from the forum.”

“And everybody realized it was the same case with each of us. We all read a few comments. But we didn’t want to believe it.”

“I think Hyun already believed it.”

“Yea, I heard her gasp the second she checked her phone.”

“But we remained optimistic, you know.”

“Well, what happened was that Hyoyeon went directly to the site, and she saw a post with a video clip and called us over.”

“Seohyun and Yoona then grabbed the phone from her. Ok, you guys, here it comes.”