Book 1.01

The Glass and The Rock

April 24 2010

"Unnie, the show's about to be on!" Seohyun shouted as her eyes locked on the television before her.

"Uhm...be right there." Yoona replied as she continued her facial regime. Finally, after a while, she applied the night cream, the last step of her evening ritual.

She walked out of the bathroom lazily, donning a simple white tee that was way larger than her small frame, and similarly large blue bottom pj. While her hair was tied up in a ponytail, and her "nightly gown" was rather sloppy, she still exuberant a majestic air about her, befitting the Goddess that half of the male population of Korea's ideal type.

"So is the new episode on today?" Yoona asked as she plopped down right beside her maknae on the sofa.

"Yea, you missed a part of it, but it hasn't gotten to the part I wanted to show you yet so it's ok." Seohyun answers, still has her eyes locked onto the monitor.

Uninterested on what was on the television, Yoona looked at her maknae, seeing the utmost concentration that Seohyun placed on the television before her, and a smirk appeared on her face.

"You must be happy, having such a husband. Now you’re even showing him off." Yoona began her tease.

Seohyun flinched right away and turned to her sister, "It's not like that, unnie!!! It's just this coming part that I want to show you."

"And what is that? Where you realize your loving feelings about him and admit it to the whole world?"

"ANDWAEEE!! I don't have that feeling!" Seohyun shouted her replied.

"But a moment ago, your nostril was widening up as you watch the TV, every time his face is on when he's teaching you the guitar." Yoona continued.

"EH?! I was? n..no...it's just I’m waiting for that scene." Seohyun replied hoarsely.

"Are you sure you aren't concentrating on just him?" Yoona remarked and began poking her maknae.

"Y...yes. We only know each other for a few months, I’ve gotten comfortable with him but no where near what I think love is." Seohyun replied decisively.

Yoona smiled as she looked at Seohyun. Realizing that the youngest member of SNSD who once replied to interviews saying she didn’t have an ideal type, is now forming an ideology of what love is. She pats the maknae's head and ruffles her hair. "So what did you want to show me?" Yoona asked, letting the earlier teasing ends its course.

"Hmm, I think it's about to come soon." Seohyun replied with an uncertain tone while straightening out her hair once again.

"Then I'm going to get an ice cream cone. You want one?" Yoona said as she stood up from the couch, walking toward the fridge.

"No," Seohyun replied, "Come back soon."

"K, just shout and I’ll come running." Yoona replied as she rummaged through the fridge looking for a certain flavor for the night.

After she dropped the wrapper off into the waste bin, Yoona recognized the shout of her maknae. She then ran out the kitchen with an ice cream cone in , expertly avoiding the furniture that were in her way and dove above the sofa and plops down onto it, right beside the owner of said voice. “Bbwhet?” She spoke with the ice cream still hanging from .

“Watch.” Seohyun points to the television.

Yoona’s sight followed in the direction of the finger of her maknae. It was a black scene on the screen before the two. She was about to open readying with a question guided toward the youngster, then she heard “The door is opening~” coming from the TV. She then directed her focus onto the television once again. “And she comes in~,” the melodious voice continues, with some laughter coming from the MC, as well as Sooyoung who was the guest MC at the time. Yoona’s eyes were locked onto the screen at the time, her ears, even with the numerous interruptions coming from the MC as they laughed at the scene, were tracing the singing voice as each word harmonizes with the rhythm of the guitar. “I think I’m falling in love, I’ll always be good to you.” Her eyes was intently focused on the scene; and until the end of the song where the Seohyun on TV clapped her hands, she was mesmerized.

“That was what I wanted to show you.” Seohyun said proudly.

“Hu..huh?” Yoona was still rather choked up at the moment, drool dripped on the couch as she has forgotten the freezing cold dairy product was still hanging from . She pulled it out and in the hanging saliva and continued, “What was it that you want to show me?”

“Unnie~! That scene, wasn’t it sweet? They all did that for me. I really think the whole group of boys is really sweet. We had so much fun.” Seohyun replied with glee.

“Yeah, I think so too. They even got your favorites and such.” Yoona nodded in agreement.

“Mhmm. Well, that is all I wanted to show you, unnie. You can get to bed if you like, I want to finish watching this.” Seohyun said, still focusing on the TV.

“Eh~~ I’ll just watch it with you. I wanna see how they are around you.” Yoona said.

They finished watching the episode, and for most of the time, gripping their stomach as they bellowed their laughter. Seohyun was more conservative than her sister, as she covers while trying to hold it in. Yoona, however, was irrevocably living up to her other nickname as she laughed with each coming scenes.

“Wheww, that was tough to sit through. I don’t think I can live through the next episode.” Yoona said as she wiped the tears at the corner of her eyes.

“Hmm, next week’s episode will have us at the sauna, it’s funnier than this.” Seohyun replied.

“Then I’ll definitely tune in. By the way, I think it’s sweet of Yong seobang to get jealous over you.” Yoona reinitialize the teasing.

“N…NO. He wasn’t.” Seohyun blushed.

“He was, even the MC was saying it. I think it was only you at the time that did not realize it, my naïve little bookworm.” Yoona replied.

“Eh…I…I’m going to bed.” Seohyun make haste escaping the interrogation as she ran to her room.

Yoona smiled as she reached for a napkin, wiping away the remnant of her drool. “Well, I’m going to check the net for a bit then off to bed too, I guess.”

 ---

May 22 2010

The dorm room was rather noisier than 3 weeks before, since all the SNSD members returned from their respective working schedules. This is one of those days where the 9 sisters can meet nowadays, a rare occurrence. They finished eating and had already cleaned up, now each was doing their own things while congregating in the living room. Taeyeon was going over the group’s schedule with Sunny and Hyoyeon. Yuri, Tiffany, and Jessica were conversing in English, practicing on each other. Seohyun was on the sofa, as well as Yoona and Sooyoung. Seohyun was sitting at one end of the sofa, intently reading the book in her hands while listening to music on her ipod. Yoona was laying on her maknae’s lap facing upward with a lollipop in . At the same while conversing with Sooyoung, who was at the other corner with Yoona’s legs on her laps, giving the goddess a manicure.

Moments later, the clock strikes 10, and the melody introducing the WGM program . Yoona turned her heads, then raising her hand over the book before Seohyun, putting her weight on it. Seohyun looked up due to the distraction, and subsequently looked towards the TV. She put away the earphone and marked the page she was on, then gazed at the TV. Yoona too, focused on the TV as she turns her head at the direction of the TV. Few minutes later, the two began laughing at the television due to the recap from the week before episode, which attracted the attention of all the members of SNSD. They began laughing and teasing Seohyun for not noticing Yonghwa’s obvious jealousy over his younger brothers, and awed at the scenes where the four accompanied her as she played her chords. Then returned to more laughter when the five were playing around at the sauna. At the end of the episode, everyone was rather cheerful, but began going back to what they were doing besides Sooyoung, who went to bed immediately right after teasing Seohyun. Yoona, who was still lying on Seohyun’s lap, was rather unsettled.

“Hyun, can you give me Jonghyun’s phone number?” she spoke clearly. Her voice traveled to the ears of all present members.

“EH?” Seohyun’s eyes were wide open, “Why do you want it?” Seohyun voiced the question that the other seven souls who were there wanted to ask.

“I like him, I want to be his friend.” Yoona replied nonchalantly as she chewed on the final piece of lollipop that was in .

With that answer, everyone who was in the living room went back to do their own things. They know all too well that Yoona often speaks her mind. Amongst the SNSD members, they neither have any secret from one another or any distrust in each other. Each of them knows that their happiness doesn’t come from any individual blessing each receives, but rather the cumulative love from everybody is shared between the nine of them. So when Yoona spoke of wanting Jonghyun’s number so openly, they know that there is no hidden meaning beside that other than what she had said.

“I don’t have his number either, unnie. I’ll ask him next time I’ll meet Yoong…o..hwa ssi.” Seohyun replied, ending her sentencing rather weirdly.

“Hmm, can’t you text him now and asks for Jonghyun’s phone number instead?” Yoona asks.

“Umm…” Seohyun hesitated.

“Don’t push her Yoona.” Taeyeon interrupted. “She wants to ask him in person so the next time that they meet, she has a topic to bring up when they become awkward again, like what we’ve seen today.”

“Oh,” Yoona replied understandingly, “Then just get it when you can.”

“Okay.” Seohyun replied sheepishly while her ears were turning red. Seems like Taeyeon hits it on the head.

They continued on other topics and one by one, each retreated to their dorm room and begins their slumber.

---

Couple of weeks later.

“YAH, what do you mean he won’t give his number to me?” Yoona spoke frantically with her eyes wide open after Seohyun.

“That was what he told me, not to give his phone number to you.” Seohyun replied in earnest, truly living up to her nickname.

“W..Well, do you have his number?” Yoona said, still in her shocked state.

“Yes……”

“WTH then?! Give me his number, ima give him a piece of my mind.” 

“Noo unnie. That’d be disrespecting him.”

“Aren’t you being disrespectful towards me by rejecting your unnie?”

“Umm…unnie, please don’t do this.” Seohyun spoke as her body shook.

“Yoona, stop it, calm down. Look at what you’re doing so Hyun.” Sunny interject as something was about to heat up.

Yoona turned to the owner of that voice, still glaring. She returned her gaze toward Seohyun after seeing Sunny’s undaunted face. After looking at the maknae’s face, her brows furrowed, and regrets filled her.

“I’m sorry, Hyunnie. I shouldn’t have tried to push you. It’s not that big of a deal for me to get angry over.” Yoona opened her arms, hinting Seohyun to come forward.

Seohyun did so, “It’s ok unnie, I know you didn’t mean it,” while snuggled herself in her unnie’s embrace.

Taeyeon came out of kitchen, rather alert. Seeing how the two maknae was hugging each other out, her mood settled. She clapped her hands and gestures the three to set the table, and readying themselves for dinner.

At the dinner table, it was boisterous still, even with just the four of them there. The other five members still have their schedules to complete and won’t be back until much later, at varying times.

“So what happened between the two of you?” Taeyeon asked with reaching for a piece of carrot with her chopsticks.

 Seohyun looked at Yoona, hesitating. Yoona, on the other hand, munches as she speaks. “I asked Seohyun to get CN Blue’s Lee Jonghyun’s phone number, and she said he said no.”

“Oh, that must be a first for you, huh, Yoona?” Taeyeon spoke teasingly.

“I don’t think so,” Yoona said nonchalantly, “There have been other cases of people not giving their numbers to me. I was just in a momentary frustration, since I haven’t heard it in a while.” Rather a roundabout way of reaffirming Taeyeon’s remark.

“I see. Well, don’t let that get in the way of you two.” Taeyeon spoke like a true leader should.

“Yea, it’s not a big deal.” Yoona spoke as she tore a piece of fish and placed it in Seohyun’s bowl.

“Thanks, unnie.” The maknae answered happily as she picked up the piece and puts it in .

“Alright. Since Sunny stopped you two from going overboard, she is exempt from cleaning up after tonight.” Taeyeon commanded as she commended Sunny for her actions.

“Hehehe, thanks sis.” Sunny spoke with glee as she gulps down more food.

The mood then seems to have settled, as they started bickering over food and began a new topic altogether.

 ---

Later that night.

Yoona was up still watching the television, with the rest of the group were in their bed sleeping. She wanted to get her mind off of the subject from before, but she was still rattled over it.

‘This is really annoying, why am I so annoyed?’ She thought to herself. ‘Is it because he’s really rejected me, like really, me?’

Being inattentive to the screen before her, she was lost in her thoughts. She has gone through several postures, from laying down to sitting up, as she tried to get the subject off her mind. Noticing the time has passed 2 AM, she slovenly walked to her room. As she was about to pass Seohyun’s room, she stopped in her tracks. She raised her hand gesturing a knock, but stopped herself as her fist was about to bang on the door. She then lowered her hand to the knob handle, twisting it as she enters the dimly lit room. She navigated herself toward the drawer, where the phone has been placed.

‘You’re so systematic, Hyunnie.’ She thought as she chuckled to herself for knowing her maknae so well.

She attempted to access the phone, but it was password protected. She looked in the direction of her maknae and apologizes to her, then went about her way on accessing the phone. Regardless of what the password is, all phones have a fundamental problem where it is easy to bypass the security password, and access the phone’s contact list by taking out the sim card and putting it in another, but no further than that. Yoona didn’t need anything more than being able to peruse the contract list, for she needed the digits of just one person. She smirked after having obtained it, placed the phone in its original location, and left the room.

Yoona then enters her room, looking at her phone with the newly obtained number.

“Does this make me out as pathetic?” She spoke as if there was someone else inside the room, ready to answer the question. Minutes passed, and she was still unsure of what to do. She wanted to get rid of this nagging feeling, and at the same while, she didn’t want to incriminate herself if her message was too on point. Furthermore, she didn’t want her maknae to be subjected to the fault. She lies down on her bed, still staring at the number. Finally, she fell asleep with the phone in hand hanging from the side of the bed. In her slumber, oblivious to the loosening grip of her hand, the phone dropped to the carpet with small thud, and the night continued its course.

---

Weeks later.

The blue boys minus Yonghwa were preparing dinner together. This is common occurrence, since their hyung has a schedule, trying to get the name of the boys out as much as possible. The three didn’t have much to do, their routine was very simple. They’d practice together for hours on end, then return home all beat up. After resting for maybe half an hour, they’d start preparing their simple meal. They played around a bit, then call it a night. Jonghyun was usually the last to go, seeing how he had to step into the shoes of a maintaining the two dongsaengs as Yonghwa was rarely home. Sitting on the sofa in the living room, he’d run his fingers through the chords, mimicking the sound coming from the earphone in his ear. His phone suddenly vibrated, but he was still lost in his own little melodious world. When his play list finally ended, signaling him to check for time. Seeing it has passed the 1 AM mark, he let out a big yawn as he stands, readying for bed.

Then suddenly, his phone vibrated. He looked at the phone, picking it up and putting it beside his ear.

“Yea, hyung?” He said calmly.

“Hey, I’m about to come home soon, what do you have for food?” Yonghwa asked through the phone.

“Nothing, we finished the food. Get something before you get home, hyung. I’m going to bed.” Jonghyun replied.

“Ok, remember to drink milk.”

“Ugh.”

“Do it.”

“Ok, good night.” Jonghyun conceded as he lost yet another battle. Well, calling it a battle maybe overstating it; however, he does hate drinking milk.

He hangs up the call. Looking at his phone, he realized he had received a text message. He was rather unsettled, seeing the number has been blocked.

“Who’s this?” Lee Jonghyun asked himself.

Not waiting for a reply to satisfy his question, he skimmed the message.

 

Yah! Just because you know how to play the guitar

doesn’t mean you are any better than the rest

of the idols out there. Get over yourself.

 

He read it. His eyes narrowed. He moved his finger on the phone, a confirmation request appeared asking if he would like to delete the message. He pressed 'NO,' widening his eyes. A smile appeared on his face, as his dimples slowly making their appearance. He went to the fridge, poured himself a cup of milk, and then returned to the sofa.

He reached for the guitar he had placed at the side of the sofa, and puts his earphones back on. Readying himself for another practice session.