Book 1.03

The Glass and The Rock

 

“Does she do this every Monday?” a man asks the shop owner as he looks out the window toward the streets.

“Yes she does.” The shop owner replied.

“Well, I guess I’ll be waiting for her outside then.” The man with the camera stood up.

He was a reporter who just got a tip yesterday from this very owner. Saying that Im Yoona of SNSD often makes her rounds this way, but doesn’t know the reason as to why she was there every Monday. Thinking that this would be a big scoop, the reporter came and was ready to take a shot of anything he deemed worthy.

Halfway out the door, he spotted her. She was someone hard to miss, even though she had her face covered up by a scarf and sunglasses to cover her eyes. She’d slow down, then sat down on a bench at the bus, waiting. The reporter made his way toward the bench, sat at the opposite end of it from her. He was waiting for when she would get on, and followed her there. But she continued to sit as one bus comes and goes, without getting on any.

The man was getting frustrated. But he was a professional, and with that under his belt, he knows that patience is virtue.

Time passed slowly for the reporter. Im Yoona, however, was still sitting motionless. Then, a man came running across the two of them who were still on the bench. The man had a pair of sunglasses on, along with a cap. From what the reporter noticed, the running man was tall and rather thin, but the thing that attracted him the most was how pale the man was. ‘Must be of a white descent.’ The reporter thought to himself.

As soon as the running man made his way past the bus stop, Im Yoona stood up and also got ready to leave. Flustered, having been sitting in the cold for so long for nothing, the reporter starting taking pictures of her. ‘I’ll come up with something later to fit why she was here.’ The reporter though to himself.

The sudden flash coming from the camera shocked her. Then she made haste away from the bus stop. She sped up, but nowhere near a running speed. Getting mad, Yoona stopped in her tracks, faced the reporter and approached him with her hand trying to block the camera.

‘That’s it! That’s it! I’ll just say you assaulted me and violated my freedom of the press.’ The sly reporter grinned.

She was about to open to scream at the annoyance, when the reporter fell forward. Shocking her, she too fell backward because of the heel had give.

“Ahh, are you ok?” the running man faced the reporter he bumped into.

“Yah, what are you doing?” the reporter shouted.

“Sorry, I was looking the other way when I bumped into you.” The voice sound rather calm instead of being rattled.

“Hey! W/E! Get away.” The reporter yelled in anger. Grabbing his camera, he began taking pictures of the fallen idol again. Once again, he felt a bump, causing him to fall forward and his camera dropped to the ground.

“Omo, what is going on?” the man with the glasses said.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!” The reporter was now seething. His lenses was broken, no longer could he take pictures.

“You were in the way as I was standing up. Why are you taking pictures anyway? Who is she?” The man asked.

“Oh get away from here!” the reporter shouted, causing everyone to notice the scene unfolding.

The running man grabbed the camera from the reporter. He spun around once, and in the midst of it, he opened up the slot for the memory card, taking it out.

“YAH! What are you doing?!!!” the reporter shouted as he tried to get the camera back from this seeming thief.

“Nothing. I’m just picking this up for you. Here you go.” He returned the camera after shoving the memory card in his pocket, unbeknownst to the reporter. “I’m sorry again.”

The running man then walked over to Yoona, who had been in a shocked state this whole while, still gripping on her broken heel.

“Oy, you all right miss? Seems like you’re hurt, let me take you to the doctor.” The running man grabbed her.

Yoona, however, didn’t make a simple meep as the unknown man reached for her. He put the left arm he grabbed onto his left shoulder, and as he sat in front of her, gestured for her right arm with his. He also placed that over his shoulder, and asked her to clasp her hands together as he stood up. She was now hanging from the tower of a man, and her face buried in his back. He bends himself forward, and asked for permission to run his hands on her thighs. She made a meep sound, but still didn’t object his actions as he ran his hands. He then bends over once more, picking up the broken heel, and carried her as he ran. All this while, the reporter was screaming at the man, asking for compensation. The running man then kept on running, ignoring the annoyance.

Recovered from her dazed state, Yoona finally blushed after having been carried for a long distance.

“U…T..thank you. Y..you can put me down now, we’re away from him.” She said.

“Nah, I’ll carry you to the hospital to have that looked over.” The running man replied.

“It isn’t injured or anything.” She said, sure of it.

The man slowed his pace, and began walking, “are you sure?”

“Yes, she replied. Just put me down here.” Yoona replied.

“Hmm, do you know of anybody living in this area? That guy maybe chasing after you again.” He replied, as if not wanting to let her go.

“Uhh, my maknae’s parents live near here.” Yoona said as she points toward a red bricked building. “That one right there, actually.”

“Oh,” the man spoke in surprise, “ok, I’ll take you there.”

As he carried her toward the destination, there was an uncomfortable silence. But this was something expected, two seemingly unknown strangers being in this predicament.

“Thank you. J..jj…..ssi.” Yoona spoke as she tried to break the ice between the two, but stopped herself from almost revealing what she knows. “My name is Im Yoona, what is your name?”

“Lee…Lee Imyoo.” The man replied, shocking her. This was not the name she expected to hear.

“Yah, really?” she asked, forgetting her manners.

“Eh? Is my name weird?” he replied to her with a question of his own.

“Ehh…No…no, Sorry. I was…nothing.” Im Yoona stuttered.

Again, the silence covered them both in a shroud, all the way to the building. He then put her off before the entrance to the building. He let her off there, and then began running again.

“I know it’s you.” Im Yoona stared as she looked toward the running figure disappearing in the distance. Then she reached for the phone in her purse, calling up the maknae to make her presence known.

 ---

An hour later, the running man returned to the red brick building once again. He finished his daily routine and was about to enter the building. The front desk greeted him, seemingly knowing who he was when he entered. He took an elevator up to the floor where his dorm room was. Once he made his way in front of his dorm room, he pulled out the keycard and slid it into the machine. A sound came from the door, hinting that it has been unlocked. He opened it and entered.

“Hello, Lee Imyoo ssi.” A voice called out to him has he closed the door behind him.

Shocked, he immediately locates the whereabouts of the voice, and found that it came from a lady sitting on a couch in the living room.

“Im Yoona!...Ssi.” He seemed to have choked up on his words. “Wh…what are you doing here…?”

“To thank you of course.” Im Yoona said as she reached for the cup of tea that was already on the table.

A voice could be heard coming from the kitchen. “Go shower!! We have to leave right after breakfast!” Which shook “Lee Imyoo” out of his dazed state.

“OK, hyung.” He replied as he backed away from the living, making his way toward the bathroom.

After he got out, he saw that everybody had already situated themselves around the kitchen table eating. He sat down on one of the empty chair at the end of the table, facing his hyung.

“Hurry and eat. We have to go soon.” His hyung ordered.

“Nehh, Yonghwa hyung.” The man flustered as he reaches for the food on the table.

“I didn’t know the CN Blue boys had a member called Lee Imyoo.” Yoona spoke nonchalantly as he reached for the food, which halted his hand.

The two boys who were on his left began laughing, and Yonghwa too let out a chuckle.

“Imyoo hyung,” Jungshin spoke after a bit, “What letter represents you in BLUE?”

This time, Yonghwa couldn’t contain his laughter and let out a boisterous one. Yoona was looking at Jonghyun with a smile on her face. Seeing how he turned to her, she let a quick wink, hinting he has been defeated.

“Yah yah, just eat.” Lee Jonghyun tried to overlook the situation by stuffing himself.

“Sniff…” It was now Kang Minhyuk’s turn, ”I didn’t think we’d had to replace a member so quickly after we debut.”

This time, Jonghyun dropped his head and just smile, and decided to go along with everyone else’s. He held up his cup and said, “Seeing you guys working so hard makes me glad to be an additional member to this band. Let’s make a toast to the former member, Lee Jonghyun, and to the up and coming guitarist of the idol world, Lee Imyoo.”

Everybody presented broke out in laughter and cheered along, clinking their cup filled with orange juice together.

“Thanks for saving me from that guy earlier, Lee Jonghyun ssi.” Yoona spoke in a serious tone after everything has died down.

“Nah,” He looked at her and smiled, “Anyone would have done the same thing.” Then went back to eat the food on his plate.

The others had already finished because they started eating before him and had already put their utensils in the sink. Similarly, Yoona was too, but she wanted to thank him in earnest. Yoona looked back at her plate after seeing Jonghyun’s dimple smile, then picked up her plate and utensils, making her way toward the sink. She began washing them when Yonghwa came out.

“You don’t have to do that, Yoona,” He said, “just leave them there.”

“Just take this as part of my thanks to him.” She replied, still focusing on the dishes before her.

“Hmm, Ok. Thank you.” Yonghwa nodded. “Yah, Jonghyun, come, we’re going to be late.”

Lee Jonghyun stood up immediately, then reaches for the guitar at the side of the sofa, as well as a coat hanging from the rack, and then ran to his hyung.

“Thanks for doing the dishes, Yoona ssi.” He said hurriedly.

“Sure.” She replied. “Wait, are you guys going to leave me here?”

“Yep.” Yonghwa replied, “Seohyun will come down in a bit and you guys will leave together.”

“Oh, ok. Then take care.” She then went back doing the dishes.

 ---

Moments later, after having finishing up the dishes, she relaxed on the sofa with the television on. Uninterested in what was on the TV, she kept turning her head toward the dorm rooms. Finally, unable to quench her curiosity, she stood from the sofa and approached the rooms. She enters the rooms one at a time, looking for a specific room belonging to a specific person. On the second to last room, she recognized that it was Lee Jonghyun. As for the reason how, on the desk facing the window, there was a cell phone. Attached to the cell phone was a keychain with a shape of an electric guitar.

“Cheh, he uses a keychain as a phone accessory.” Yoona spoke to herself.

She then went about perusing the room. There were quite a bit of hair care products, as well as several guitars sitting beside the wall, each on its on pedestal.

“Truly a guitar freak.” Again she spoke to herself, this time with a chuckle.

After finishing looking around the room, she grabbed his phone on the table and took it with her, leaving the room. She then returned to the sofa.

Before she started to look through the phone, the door of the dorm opens and entered Seohyun.

“Unnie~” Seohyun called out. “Let us leave.”

She stood up frantically, dropping the phone into her purse, and went towards the door. Yoona and Seohyun went toward the van that was waiting for them after getting off the elevator. While sitting in the van, she pulled out the phone from her purse.

“Oh unnie,” Seohyun immediately noticed, “That’s not your phone.”

“Mhmm, its Lee Jonghyun.” She replied.

“Ohh, why do you have it?” Seohyun asked in surprise.

“It was on a table.” Yoona was still composed, still going through the phone.

“Oh, what are you doing?”

“I don’t know…” Yoona seemingly stumped, “Oh, going to check on the number with he uses to order that ice cream.” This was a good excuse, she though to herself.

“Hmm, you shouldn’t go through his phone like this.” Seohyun, seemingly conflicted as she also loves the ice cream.

“It’s fine. Hey look at this,” Yoona showed her maknae, “This is all the contacts in his phone.”

“Wow…” Seohyun exclaimed in awe, “he doesn’t have that many people on here.”

“I know right? There maybe just a 20 numbers on here. That’s sad for an idol.” She said, with a smirk. “Ohh I see your number…I think that’s the only SNSD members’ phone number he has on his phone. Hmm…I don’t see it, can’t find one with Japan’s international area code.”

“I see.” Seohyun said, rather disappointed.

“Ohh,” something caught Yoona’s eyes, “Where have I seen this before…?”

“What is it?”

“This quote right here…I think I’ve seen this before.”

“The line on the picture of his home screen?”

“Yea, that one.”

“Why would he keep that…it’s derogatory.”

“I don’t know…” Yoona still racked her brain, trying to remind herself as to where she had seen this line before.

The whole way to the studio, she was still going through her mind, thinking she had seen something like this before. But as to where, it has slipped her mind. The van finally stopped in the parking lot. And Seohyun tapped Yoona on the shoulder, signaling to leave. Leaving the van, Yoona was still going through her mind with the phone in hand. The quote, that line, was on the tip of her tongue.

“Ah!” Yoona exclaimed, “I think I know what it is.”

She pulled her bag and was about to look for her phone in it, when Jonghyun’s phone slipped from her hand. It dropped to the ground. The front screen cracked, and the battery as well as the back plate detached from the phone upon impact with the ground.

“Omo…” Yoona gasped.

“Unnie~~” Seohyun exclaimed.

“I Know, I know…” Yoona remorsefully picked up the pieces of the phone, then put everything in its place.

“At least it still turns on.” Seohyun said as she let out a relaxed awe.

“Yeah….I don’t know what will happen…” Yoona saddens.

“We have to apologize, unnie.”

“Yea, well, you don’t have to. It was my fault.”

“It’s ok, I was with you. We have to do it together.”

They walked rather solemnly toward the studio where all the other girls were present. When they entered, they were greeted with ruckus, as each girl of the group was noisily playing around with each other. Everyone noticed their solemn mood, and Taeyeon took the initiative.

“What happened?”

“We broke Jonghyun oppa's phone.” Seohyun replied apologetically.

“She didn’t do anything. It was me who dropped it after…” Yoona spoke up, shocking herself in the process.

“What are you doing?” Jessica asked when Yoona stopped speaking and began to rummage through her bag for her cell phone.

Yoona pulled her phone out, not paying attention to anything that was directed at her. She ran her finger expertly through the contact list. Looking for his number. She had no idea what name she had him under, at the same while, her contact list was in the thousands, as popular as she is.

“What are you doing Yoona?” Yuri reiterated Jessica’s question.

“Seohyun, remember what I said about that quote on the home page?” Yoona said, still perusing through her phone.

“Yes, that you have seen it before.” Seohyun replied, yet still wonders as to why.

The other girls came up to Seohyun for more information, as Yoona was seemingly lost in her own world. Seohyun summarizes what has happened thus far, as far as she know, even showing the quote on Jonghyun’s phone.

“So she knows who sent such a mean sentence to him?” Yuri asked.

“I guess so…but why is she looking through her phone?” Seohyun questioned her unnie’s actions.

“Do you think she received the same message? And she thinks it came from the same person? But Yoona doesn’t play the guitar.” Taeyeon expertly deduced.

The other girls nodded, as that was the only thing that made sense. After a while of exhausting her finger through her text message, Yoona finally found what she was looking for.

“It was me….” Yoona said, “I sent the message.”

Gasps came from every direction, from every members of the group.

“That doesn’t make any sense.” Sooyoung spoke the minds of the 8 other girls there.

Yoona looked at her sisters, and then finally held her phone out, showing a text message from back in 2010.

The message was an exact replica of what was on Jonghyun’s home screen.

 

Yah! Just because you know how to play the guitar

doesn’t mean you are any better than the rest

of the idols out there. Get over yourself.

“YOONA! Why?!”

 “Unnie, why did you do that?!”

 “What were you thinking?!?!”

“Yahh You!”

Each girl had a different respond to what had been shown before then. Though the content of each statement were different, the meaning were all the same.

“I don’t remember it quite well,” Yoona stuttered, “I think I was really mad at him…for not giving his phone number to me. Back then, I snuck into Seohyun’s phone and got his number…Sorry Hyunnie…”

“Why would you do something like that? How would you feel after seeing that?” Taeyeon screamed at her.

“I don’t know…” Yoona’s eyes dropped to the floor. “It was…I was in the moment…I was frustrated.”

“We have to apologize to him, together.” Taeyeon commanded the group.

“No, no…it was me who did it. Let me apologize.”

“No. This is non negotiable. Your mistakes are ours as well. As well as anybody’s here.” Taeyeon reaffirmed her conviction.

“Yep, Unnie. We stick together.” Seohyun said, trying to cheer up Yoona.

“Don’t forget that we’ve done the same before.” Sooyoung smiled.

“Yea, each of us has messed up somewhere along the way.”

“Sticking together is what gets us through the storm, every single time.”

“Plus, we all know the blue boys are sweethearts. I don’t think they’ll hang such a thing over our heads.”

“Sis…” Yoona looked up tearfully after each of the girls statements, “Unn, let’s do it as soon as possible.”

“I have one question though.” Hyoyeon suddenly spoke up after everything has calm down. “Why would he use that statement as his home screen wallpaper?”

“Huh?” Yoona looked straight at her, grabbing the phone from Seohyun’s hand to reassure herself of what she had already seen.

“That’s right…Why would he want to look at that sentence every time he turns on his phone?” Sunny asked.

“Does he know it’s from you?” Tiffany thought out loud.

“No…I don’t think so…how would he know it’s from me if the only SNSD member phone number he has is Hyunnie?” Yoona spoke.

Running her fingers through his phone, she found what she was looking for. She showed the message on the phone to her fellow sisters.

“See, it says the phone number was blocked.” Yoona spoke.

“So he assumed it came from some random anti?” Taeyeon asked in confusion. “Still doesn’t answer why he wouldn’t just delete the message, and to go as far as leaving up on his home screen.”

“Maybe he uses it for motivational purposes.” Jessica deduced after a long silence from the group. “You know how reverse psychology works, seeing something so mean could give him the fuel he needs to practice. To get better, to live up to the name of a guitarist.”

The girls were all at awe. There was really no logical reason as to why he would keep such a message. What made the most sense was what Jessica had said. But still, it was something unconfirmed.

“Since we’re all going to apologize to him for breaking the phone, “ Taeyeon finally spoken up, “Should we ask as to why he keeps the message around with him?”

The other girls nodded as well, as curiosity reigned over them.