Book 1.04

The Glass and The Rock

At the CN Blue’s dorm room. They were in a state of panic. Yonghwa received an urgent message from Seohyun stating that the SNSD girls wanted to talk to all of them. Now, they had to get ready and clean up. The two maknae of the group had to do the cleaning, while Yonghwa and Jonghyun was preparing dinner for the event.

Much later, after the boys had already finished setting the meals on the table, a knock came from the door.

“Jungshin, open it.” Yonghwa yelled at the maknae from the kitchen, finishing up the desert.

“Ok.” he stood up lazily.

Opening up the door, there were nine beauties standing before him in casual clothing. He bowed to each as they entered, and they in turn, did the same.

“Why didn’t you use the keycard yourself, hyungsoonim?” Jungshin said with a smirk.

Everyone immediately set their eyes on the subject he was talking to, because it was an open secret among the groups. Seohyun immediately blushed.

“Yah, stop it. She’s still your hyung’s puin. Show some respect.” Jonghyun said casually. Not knowing this further embarrasses Seohyun.

“Yonghwa, let me help you.” Taeyeon enters the kitchen.

“Aniya,” Yonghwa replied, “I’m already done anyway.”

“Woah” Sooyoung sniffed at the meals on the table, “Yong seobang is really capable.”

“And the teasing continues.” Sunny said.

Moments later, each took a place around the table in the living room. As they didn’t have enough space, the boys opted to sit on the floor while the girls were on the sofa.

Beside from the oblivious boys of what has happened as well as Sooyoung who was drooling at the meal before her, every girl from SNSD was in a solemn mood.

Yonghwa was quick on the uptake. “So tell us what was so urgent.”

“We’re here to apologize for breaking Jonghyun’s phone.” Taeyeon said, calmly.

“Oh?” the boys looked at Jonghyun. He too, was also caught off-guard.

Yoona dug into her purse and pulled out his phone.

“We had the cracked screen replaced, as well as the back plate because it chipped away. We couldn’t do anything about the dented edge of the phone though. I’m sorry. It was me who took your phone out of your room. If you’d like, we can get you a new phone, but we didn’t want to intrude on your personal information, so we wanted to ask you first if you’d like to do that.”

The boys looked more confused than before. Jonghyun grabbed the phone from Yoona’s hand. He touched her delicate fingers as he secured the phone in his hand. She quickly pulls back. Looking sideways at her sisters, but none too alert regarding her actions. Everybody was focusing on Jonghyun.

“This phone…,” He said, “is ancient.”

He chuckled for a bit. The girls were in a state of shock, not knowing what was going on. He then walked over to his jacket and pulled out a larger phone, he places both on the table, sizing them up. The boys, at this time, smiled.

“The bigger one is his new phone.” Yonghwa said.

“Yes, I think he got that, a year back.” Jungshin said as he reaches for the food, in turn, received a well deserved smack on the back of his head for bad manner.

“EHH!?!?” all the girls exclaimed in unison.

“This was the big problem you guys were brooding over?” Yonghwa laughed.

“Yes” Seohyun spoke up since none of her unnies were able to do so, “we were worrying about it throughout our whole session today.”

“You should have just told me when you messaged me. I would have told you what was going on.” Yonghwa replied.

“But we wanted to apologize face to face.” Seohyun retorts.

“Yes,” Yoona spoke up, “I also wanted to apologize for going through your room, and taking your phone without permission, Jonghyun ssi.”

“Eh…” Jonghyun said sheepishly, still looking at his phones, “It’s not a big deal. We wouldn’t have left you alone in the dorm if we didn’t trust you, Yoona ssi. It’s not a big problem.”

“That’s true really,” Minhyuk spoke up, “Just consider this as your second dorm if you are ever in the area and needed a place to stay. Then again…hyungsoonim parent’s place a few floors up.”

“Yahh, stop it!” Yonghwa interject, notices his interest was cowering in embarrassment.

“So can we eat now?” Sooyoung asked, gesturing hunger while rubbing her stomach.

They all laughed, and began eating the food that was on the table. They talked about various things while the television was showing the news behind them. They went from one topic to the next, never running out of things to talk about as they devoured the dinner on the table. At the end of it, when all the dishes have been fully consumed, the girls opted to clean up the dishes. The boy wanted to stop them as they were guests at the dorm, but since the boys prepared the dinner, the girls said it was a right thing to do. And the boys conceded. The nine girls finished the dishes lightning fast, and returned casually chatting up the boys. Yonghwa returned to the kitchen, and brought out a goguma fudge cake he had made for desert, and began slicing and treating his guests. They all turned their attention towards the television since a rerun episode of music bank was on that night. And they sang along with the songs that was playing, as well as gulping down the delicious cake.

“Ohh, Jonghyun, why do you put that keychain on your old phone?” Tiffany asks.

“What do you mean by ‘keychain’?” replied Jonghyun with a mouth full of sweet potato in his mouth.

“The electric guitar we gifted you.” Tiffany clarified as she too shoved more cake into .

“That was a keychain?” Jonghyun asked, unwittingly.

Everybody burst out in laughter. Jonghyun, on the other hand, really didn’t know that was a keychain.

“Well, it looks nice as a phone accessory too. Still, why’d you have it on your old phone?” Jessica delivers some help to the poor boy.

“He probably thought our gifts aren’t as important as we think theirs.” Sunny teased, causing him to lower his head in embarrassment.

“I…well, this new phone doesn’t have a slot for accessory like that older one.” He showed his new phone to the girls. “And since I thought this was a phone accessory, I just put it on there without thinking. This new one is my main now, but the old line still works.”

“I think it looks nice as a phone accessory.” Taeyeon said.

“Too bad he just leaves it in his room.” Jungshin retorts.

“Yea, he doesn’t even carry the gift we got for him around.” Yuri added oil to the flame.

“Well, that phone is important to him,” Yonghwa acted as Jonghyun’s saving grace, “He’d never misplaced that phone the whole time he had it. And even after he got that new one, he didn’t cancel the line or let that phone leave his room.”

“Yea,” Minhyuk said, “you can see how well he took care of it. He has it for 3 years and still, it’s clean.”

“Sorry to have dented it.” Yoona again bowed her head apologetically, “I didn’t know it was something so important to you.”

“No no!!” Jonghyun waved both of his hand, “only the content is important. Not the phone itself.”

“Hmph.” Hyoyeon snuffed, “God Yoona, you were so worried.”

“O..of course. Who wouldn’t be after breaking someone else’s things.” Yoona retorts.

“Ohh!” Seohyun snapped, causing the attention to shift towards her. “Oppa, can I talk to my sisters in private?”

“Sure, let us clean up, boys.” Yonghwa replied.

The blue boys stood up from the floor, and began picking up the dishes. This time it was their turn to wash the dishes. Moments later, they returned, and the girls have already straightened themselves out from the earlier huddle.

“So, what is it that you guys talked about?” Yonghwa spoke up.

“We wanted to ask Jonghyun something.” Taeyeon spoke.

“Hm?” He flinched, unaware of what was coming his way.

“We saw the quote on your home screen wallpaper. Why do you keep that around before?” being so direct with her question.

“Hmm…” he ran his fingers through the phone. Returning it to the home screen. “This one right here?”

“Yes. Wait. You even have it on your new phone?”

“Yes, it’s my fuel. I received this as a text message from an unknown person years before.”

Having received such a direct answer, the girls were all at awe. It was exactly as Jessica had deduced, this was his motivation.

“You know…” Sunny spoke up.

But she was quickly interrupted by Yoona.

“You know, that could just be something from a person who hated you. Why keep something like that for years?”

Jonghyun regressed a bit. Just a moment later, he began to speak.

“Yeah, but I still think it’s something important. Every time I look at this sentence, it reminds me that I have hurdles to get through, no matter where I am. It keeps me from having my heads in the cloud; it keeps me grounded knowing that there are far more people who are better than I am in the music world. And for that, I am grateful.”

“He also said he wanted to become so much more than what he had accomplished thus far because of this.” Yonghwa added a comment. Jonghyun simply nodded.

“Yep,” Minhyuk interjects, “He also said someday, he hopes this person becomes a fan of his, hence he must work hard in order to achieve it.”

The girls simply kept on nodding as they listened. Jonghyun sheepishly looked up and flashed an ashamed smile at them.  Yoona, however, was in a state of shock to notice.

“Awww…” Sooyoung squealed, “He has such a good characteristic.”

“Noona,” Jungshin interrupts as he shows his phone home screen too Sooyoung, “This is my motivation. This picture is of the Rolling Stones. We hoped that we can play music as much as we can, as long as they have, and beyond them too.”

Seeing him acting up, Sooyoung couldn’t help but to think he was a cute kid, leading to her patting his head in the process.

“Hehe, each of us has a different motivational picture.”

“Hm, you guys want to show them to us?” Yuri asked, targeting the two other boys.

“NO!” both Yonghwa and Minhyuk immediately replied.

“Wae!? They’re hiding something from us.” Tiffany spoke up.

“Mine’s really embarrassing.”

“Mine’s is just a picture of a balloon.”

Both Minhyuk and Yonghwa replied at the same time. The girls, besides Seohyun who was relaxing and Yoona who was still in awe from earlier, approached them.

“Seohyun, don’t you want to see what is on hubby’s screen? Aren’t you jealous that he might have something weird as his inspiration?” Sunny teased.

“I’ve seen it already.” Seohyun answered calmly. “It’s the same home screen as mine.”

“Aww, they shared the same home screen picture.”

“Ohh, that one where you guys were in Japan.”

“Yep”

“At the temple”

“The wishing plaque.”

“Yep.”

Yonghwa smiled mischievously. “I’ve gotten a new wallpaper.”

Seohyun shook. “OPPA!” She rushed towards him. Yonghwa then hid his phone in his back pocket. And when she came near him, he wrapped his arms around her tightly.

The girls squealed and Jungshin wooed like children. At the same time, Tiffany and Jessica ganged up on Minhyuk and gotten his cell phone. They his phone and sees a picture of him crying, snot running down his nose. Taeyeon also came to have a look.

“Oh,” Taeyeon was surprised, “you cried like this?”

“Umm yea…” Minhyuk grabbed his phone from the girls.

“What happened?”

“This was during an interview when we were called fakes because we had to hand mime on music bank.”

“I remember watching it.”

“Yea, I don’t ever want to be subjected to this treatment so I have to prove that I can be the best at what I do. And I absolutely won’t slander another person like what have been done to me.”

The girls then gave him a hug. ‘This baby-face boy is a sweet kid.’

The CNSD family continued the night with an endless supply of topics.