Dreamer

100 Days of Drabble Challenge ft. Bangtan Boys
  
 
 
100  Days  Drab ble  Ch a l lenge  f t .  Bang tan  Boys

Dreamer;

It was almost funny how cold Hoseok was, lying there. The flickering flames inside the fireplace did nothing to ease the chill in his heart no matter how closely he huddled next to it.

She had stolen the last bit of warmth in the house when she left. It was like an empty skeleton now.  

Hoseok shivered again and reminisced their last days together, tears unconsciously sliding down his pale, hollow cheeks. He whispered her name over and over again, chanting it like a mantra. Maybe if he said it enough times, she would come back. Maybe everything would be okay again.

And almost like magic, the house lit up and the warmth rushed back, enveloping him. Hoseok could smell her delicious food again; hear the sizzle of a pan that she worked her cooking magic on; see her turned back as she sliced and diced the vegetables Hoseok hated so much. He saw her twist around and smile that devious smile of hers. He heard her say the line she always said when he returned home after an exhausting day, "Why so serious, honey?"

It was enough to bring tears to his eyes and when Hoseok finally blinked them away and cleared his vision, the world was back to being downcast and cold and gray again.  

Hoseok's face fell and the hot pricking behind his eyes came back. He swallowed the lump in his throat. Though he'd known it was all an illusion even when he was hallucinating it, it didn't stop him from hoping that it was all just a dream.

As if he was in a trance, Hoseok slowly got up from his spot beside the cold, crackling fireplace and stumbled to the kitchen on weak, wobbly legs.

He slid open a wooden drawer and withdrew a gleaming silver knife. The corners of his lips turned upwards sadly. "I'll be with you in a second." Hoseok whispered and was beginning to raise the hilt of the blade, sharp point aimed at his heart when her voice spoke softly. "Hoseok…"

The boy froze and the knife clattered onto the dirty kitchen floor.

. . .

And that was when he was slapped awake.

"JUNG. HO. SEOK!!" The female in front of him drew out the last syllable of his name before wildly ripping the blanket off of him. "Do you have any idea what time it is?! 2 PM in the afternoon! You've slept for seventeen hours straight! SEVENTEEN!"

The disoriented boy only looked up at her in bewilderment. "Mom." He whispered incredulously.  "Mom, you're alive!"

The woman almost slapped him again but instead, she crossed her arms. "Of course I'm alive." She scoffed. "I have an idiot son to take care of."

Hoseok was so relieved, he blatantly ignored the last part and threw his arms around his mother's neck, grinning in relief. He squeezed until he felt her gasp for air. Hoseok then released his mom and planted a wet kiss on her cheek, something he hadn't done voluntarily for years and his grin widened even further when he saw her speechless expression. He sighed contently and embraced her again.

His wish had come true. It really was just a dream.

 

Word Count: 531


A/N:

This was the one I was going to post for 'Warmth,' but I think it suits this prompt more, don't you think so? The flow wasn't so great in this one. I'm too lazy to edit it, though, so oh well.