Chapter Six

eleven : eleven

Baekhyun and Jongin gawked at the sight in front of them. They knew Kyungsoo was smart but it seems they underestimated him. He was ranked first; not only in their grade but the entire school.  Exact scores will be released in a week but both boys had a feeling Kyungsoo got a perfect score.  Baekhyun chuckled and rubbed his head sheepishly, “And here I was expecting first, I feel so stupid.”

 

Jongin immediately rubbed his friend’s back. He offered a small smile. He knew how much Baekhyun studied. They were best friends and neighbors after all. There was never a day when Jongin wouldn’t see Baekhyun’s bedroom lit up. One time, out of curiousity, Jongin stayed up till’ Baekhyun finished studied; he was only able to sleep two hours that night.

 

“You’re number two! Maybe Kyungsoo studied as much as you. Plus, he’s from Seoul Academy,” Jongin reasoned. Baekhyun narrowed his eye-liner filled eyes and shook his head. He ruffled his own hair and pouted his lips in wonder. “That’s the thing, Jongin. I know this sounds weird, but I went through his bag to look for a novel he borrowed, and I happened to come across his notebook, and me being a nosy person, I glimpsed at it.”

 

Jongin shook his head in amusement. He also looked through Kyungsoo’s locker at times, but for different reasons. He wanted to know if Kyungsoo received love letters, and to his surprise, he found the locker overflowing with chocolates, letters, plushies, and candies.

 

“So what did  you find? Random doodles?” Jongin asked, not really giving a are about the matter; if you’re smart, you will do good. Simple as that.

 

“I wish. His notebook was completely bare. Nothing written at all! Expect for this one page though... He wrote ‘I miss you, Chanyeol, Chen, and Joonmyeon’ but there was a heart around Joonmyeon,” Baekhyun said, glimpsing at the rankings. Jongin was #21. Considering he would mostly eat while Baekhyun and Kyungsoo study, it was pretty good.  

 

“H-heart?” Jongin stuttered. His eyes widened as Baekhyun nodded. “But that was two weeks ago.”

Jongin’s heart deflated. He stared at his shoes, wondering who those people were. Were they as cool as them? Have they seen Kyungsoo laugh? Have they eaten his delicious kimchi spaghetti? It broke Jongin’s heart when Baekhyun commented once more.

 

“Kyungsoo’s coming this way.”

 

Jongin couldn't bring himself to stare at his crush. Kyungsoo casually walked up to them and smiled. “Sorry, Mrs. Park saw me trip the other day and she wanted to know if I sprained my ankle.”

 

Baekhyun worriedly glanced at his ankle. Kyungsoo shook his hands amusedly. “No, I’m okay. I’m clumsy in general. You can ask my old friends.”

 

“Your old friends? Like Chanyeol? Chen?! Or maybe even Joonmyeon with a heart?!” Jongin erupted. The fact that Kyungsoo loved someone was too much for him to handle. He wasn’t exactly used to heartbreak.

 

Kyungsoo blinked in surprise at Jongin’s outburst. Baekhyun just stood there with his mouth hanging wide open. “H-how do you know my friends...?” he asked with a hint of sadness. Or maybe it was anger.

 

“I’m sorry, Kyungsoo! When I was looking for my copy of ‘Little Women’, I accidentally stumbled upon your notes and I saw them and I told Jongin what I saw...” Baekhyun apologized as he gave glares to Jongin. Jongin didn't even notice Baekhyun’s presence.

 

“Well if you really want to know, Chen is my childhood friend. We sing together from time to time, and he is my rival in just about everything. He is usually 2nd, but 1st when it comes to singing. Chanyeol is my cousin. He has a crush on Chen but Chen likes this foreign guy named Kris. Well he isn’t the brightest one but he is a new model-”

 

“Wait, are you perhaps talking about that Chanyeol?”

 

“Um-”

 

“Park Chanyeol?”

 

“Yes, that’s him-”

 

“Oh my god! Kyungsoo you have to introduce me to him! Please I’ll do anything!”

 

“O-Ok Baekhyun... Anyway, moving on. Joonmyeon...”

 

Jongin finally began to pay attention at the mention of the name. He wanted to know who this person was, whether he liked it or not.  

 

“Joonmyeon is my ex. The reason why it had a heart was because I wrote that on the second day of class, when we were still going out. I broke up with him 2 weeks ago.”

 

Kyungsoo made sure to articulate every word properly. He glanced at Jongin and smiled when he saw him sigh cutely and wipe away his forehead. He patted Jongin’s back and grinned.

 

“Satisfied?”

 

Jongin blushed and nodded. Kyungsoo blushed as well and looked away, looking down. Baekhyun glanced at the two and felt his heart ache. He knew they liked each other, but he was still hoping that Jongin would realize how awesome and beautiful he is, and confess to him.

 

He painfully smiled as the two blushing men in front of him attempted to start up a conversation. ‘I want Jongin to be happy’ he thought. And he knew the only way of letting that happen was to give up and help his best friend confess.

 

A small tear left his eye, much to the dismissal of Jongin and Kyungsoo. Baekhyun wiped it and suddenly jumped on both men. “Kyungsoo, you’re first in the whole school!” he shouted.

 

Kyungsoo chuckled and nodded. “I was also first in Seoul Academy.”

 

Kyungsoo wished he had a camera when he noticed how big Baekhyun’s and Jongin’s eye became. Maybe next time.


 

 

 

 




 

Jongin suddenly wished he was a model. He pouted as Kyungsoo ranted about his cousin Chanyeol to Baekhyun.

 

“He seems handsome, but he makes the creepiest faces ever! His face itself is a halloween mask.”

 

Baekhyun huffed and immediately began to defend his all time idol. “That is one of his most charming aspects if you ask me.”

 

Kyungsoo chuckled and wiped away his imaginary tears. “I hope you know he’s clumsier than me.”

 

“I’m guessing clumsiness runs in the family,” Baekhyun muttered. Kyungsoo playfully smacked him. Jongin’s pout became even more evident as he witnessed the scene between the two. He wished he was the one getting hit. Baekhyun was not worthy of Kyungsoo’s punches.

 

“I’ll let you be the judge. Today at my place,” Kyungsoo stated confidently. Baekhyun smirked while taking a bit of his sandwich. Jongin almost choked on his milk.  

 

“I thought you would never ask.” Baekhyun stood and threw his wrapper inside the trash bin. Jongin gulped down his milk and wiped his mouth rapidly.

 

“Are you sure, Kyungsoo? We don’t need to meet your family-”

 

“Shut up Jongin! This might be my only chance to meet Park Chanyeol!”

“It’s true. It’s okay, Jongin. My house isn’t that bad, if that’s what  you’re wondering.”

 

“N-no! Well... I mean...Ok...” Jongin whispered twirling his straw in his hands. It wasn’t that he was nervous to see Kyungsoo’s home. He wasn’t sure if he could control himself if he saw Kyungsoo’s room... The same room where Kyungsoo slept in, possibly even more.

 

Baekhyun chuckled as he saw Jongin’s flustered expressions. The boy was too naive and innocent. He then turned to Kyungsoo and noticed that he wore a worried expression. He didn’t question anything.

 

Baekhyun patiently watched both men as he formed a  plan in his head. He named it: KaiSoo.