Chapter Four

eleven : eleven

Much to their surprise, their junior year was soon coming to an end. Many school nights were spent studying together then falling asleep on the plush carpets, courtesy of Baekhyun’s home. It was a daily routine. All three boys were preparing for their finals.

 

Baekhyun felt the most pressure since he had to rank in the top five percent if he wanted to attend his dream school, while Jongin had to place in top 10 percent to appease his strict sister. Kyungsoo didn’t exactly have a goal. He figured luck would be on his side.

 

“Kyungsoo, you’re not going over the notes?” asked a curious Baekhyun as he spotted Kyungsoo munching on some biscuits. Kyungsoo shook his head and tapped his head.

 

“It’s all in here,” he mumbled. It wasn’t a lie, Kyungsoo was blessed with excellent memory. He didn’t just memorize information, he learnt it and understood it inside and out.

 

Jongin scrunched up his nose in disgust. How can someone be so perfect? It’s not normal. He pouted as he watched Kyungsoo from the corner of his eye. The ‘perfect man’ everyone was so infuriated with was currently attempting to balance a biscuit on his cute nose.

 

It was true, everyone was infuriated with Kyungsoo, including Jongin himself. When Valentines’ Day occurred, Kyungsoo’s locker and desk were overstuffed with flowers and chocolates. The hallways became so crowded that the principal gathered various cardboard boxes and placed them in front of the cafeteria so students could drop their treats of love for Kyungsoo. Those too became overfilled.

 

Jongin had to borrow his uncle’s pick-up truck to drop of the things at a local orphanage. Kyungsoo decided to donate all the gifts he received, excluding one. A chocolate bar from Jongin himself.

 

“Why m-mine? It’s just a regular chocolate bar, other people bought you the expensive kind,” he asked, his cheeks blushing a bright red. Jongin was really curious though. He could’ve chosen a more extravagant chocolate, but he chose Jongin’s convenience store bought chocolate. Kyungsoo shrugged and smiled. “You’re my friend. Plus, I got sick of the way expensive chocolate tastes. Cheap is better.”

 

If it wasn’t for the steering wheel in his hands, he would have gobbled up Kyungsoo’s lips without hesitation. The fact that Kyungsoo was wearing a nicely fitted polo wasn’t helping. That night was spent with hyper kids giving Kyungsoo hugs and kisses, thanking him for all the chocolate, and Baekhyun screaming at the ‘runts’, as he liked to call them. Jongin watched the scene unfold and smiled. His smile widened even more when Kyungsoo refused to share the chocolate bar he gave him.

 

“It’s too special,” he had said to the kids. His smile was radiant and dazzling. Jongin blinked at the magnificent sight that occurred 8 feet in front of him.

 

That was the exact moment he realized he was in love. Jongin knew he was attracted to his friend, ever since he transferred, but he never thought much of it. As months passed by, Jongin had developed a crush on Kyungsoo, but always ignored the butterflies he felt when he saw Kyungsoo.

 

Jongin smiled as he recalled the sweet memory. The day he fell in love with the ‘perfect man.’

 

“Kyungie, explain this equation to me. I can’t find the answer and I tried everything!”

 

“Baek, if you can’t find an answer, it means no solution.”

 

Baekhyun’s eyes widened as it hit him. He nodded and returned to his precal book. Kyungsoo smirked and turned to Jongin. He rolled his eyes and did a cuckoo face.

 

Jongin felt his heart expand. Every little thing Kyungsoo did never failed to give him a heart attack. He looked away and gave his attention to the history book in front of him. But like always, it ended up with Kyungsoo snuggling up to him, and teaching him about english.

 

After 2 more hours, all three boys were in Baekhyun’s room, asleep. Baekhyun was laying on his bed while Jongin and Kyungsoo shared the carpeted floor to themselves. It wasn’t uncomfortable, Jongin thought, rolling his eyes.

 

Suddenly he felt a weight shift onto his shoulder. Afraid to look, Jongin whispered. “Kyungsoo?” All he heard in reply was the sound of Kyungsoo breathing softly. All of a sudden, Jongin felt the shorter man’s arms wrap around his waist.

 

This is more comfortable, he thought, smiling.



 

 

 

 


 

A whimper awoke Kyungsoo. He yelped when he found his arms around Jongin. He immediately pulled away and breathed deeply. He turned and found Baekhyun doing his routine whimpering.

 

“Silly Baek,” he croaked. He shook his head in amusement and made a mental note to wear ear plugs next time. As Kyungsoo prepared to go back to sleep, obviously not in Jongin’s arms, he saw his phone lit up as a message popped out.

 

Kyungsoo groaned and made his way to his phone. When he saw the time, he reminded himself to kill Baekhyun for waking him up. It was 3:37 am and he had to get up for school in less than 4 hours.

 

Once his anger vanished, he unlocked the screen and read the message. Kyungsoo felt his heart stop when looked at the sender’s name. It was labelled as ‘Seoul Academy’s Ace.’

 

Like the post it he received everyday in his lunch bag, the message read:

 

 

Please, take them for me.

 

Kyungsoo scoffed and quickly typed back. Once he was satisfied with his response he hit send. He yawned before making his way back to Jongin’s side. Kyungsoo bit his lip as he stared at Jongin’s innocence. His lips were pouting and his hair perfectly covered his eyebrows. Kyungsoo lifted an eyebrow and his lips slowly. He really wanted to kiss him.

 

He had found himself attracted to Jongin lately, whether it was love or lust, he was unsure of. But he knew that Jongin was his dear friend and he didn’t want to risk it. Plus, he knew that Baekhyun was in love with Jongin. He certainly didn’t want to mess up his friendship with either boy.


A quick “Screw this” left Kyungsoo’s mouth before he laid down and wrapped his arms around Jongin. He liked the warmth that emitted from the younger man. He would deal with the embarrassment in 4 hours. If he could hug his crush for the night, it was worth it.