Chapter Twelve

eleven : eleven

“I knew they weren’t vitamins,” Jongin growled as he kicked open the door to the nurse’s office.

 

Ms. Park released a yip as her door was kicked wide open, bringing a burst of cool wind. She looked up from her desk and felt her heart collapse at the sight of an unconscious Kyungsoo with blood flowing out of his nose. Even Jongin’s shirt contained a smudge of dark red.  And little Baekhyun was scared less as he dialed a mysterious caller.

 

Despite being a calm person in general, Ms. Park herself didn’t know what to do. For crying out loud, she was just a nurse in high school. She was accustomed to dealing with periods, sprains, and the occasional fool who would choke on rice. Not 17 year olds who were on serious medication and were order to stay at home, under medical surveillance.

 

But she was an adult, and she had to act her part so she hid her emotions and ordered Jongin to place him on the nearest bed. Jongin complied and handed her the pills. She instantly recognized them.

 

 


 

Kyungsoo politely bowed before quietly exiting the office, but not before pulling a case from his pocket and showing it to Ms. Park. It was his antidepressants. He proudly gleamed and pointed to the bottle. “But don’t worry, I still take some type of medication. If I don’t take these, I’ll be disappointing someone dear to me,” he stated with a small smile.

 

 

 

She gulped and took the pills. Jongin stared at her intensely with his piercing black eyes. He could read her like an open book. If you bother a person for years, you learn them inside and out. And right now, her eyes said everything.

 

“You knew?” he croaked. Her eyes stayed the answer. Jongin laughed out loud like a mad man before turning to Baekhyun and yelled. He felt like such an idiot. “Am I some kind of fool to you?” he reprimanded to the shuddering nurse.

 

She shut her eyes tightly and shook her head. “Jongin, Kyungsoo needs aid now. I don’t have time for your questions!”

 

And she pushed aside the heartbroken tan man and checked Kyungsoo’s pulse. It was dawdling at an alarming rate. Ms. Park tensed and did her best.

 

She hooked him up to an IV,  and began to take his blood pressure, temperature, etc. before she could decide whether or not he had to visit a hospital. She sat in her desk as the IV drops echoed throughout the room.

 

Baekhyun continued dialing someone on his phone as he paced the room back and forth. Finally, the mysterious caller answered. 

 

“Chanyeol? Finally you answer! Listen, Kyungsoo is in trouble! He took some pills-what?... Okay...”

 

Baekhyun hung his phone loosely as his blank face turned towards Jongin. He smiled weakly and told him what Chanyeol told him. “He said not to worry and that he will be here soon.”

 

Jongin nodded and took the information in. His heart squeezed in agony once more. Everybody knew, everybody expect for them...

 

He was left clueless once again.

 

“Jongin, Baekhyun, go to class. Don’t worry, Kyungsoo is well taken care of.”

 

Despite the pleas from Ms. Park, Jongin stayed secure in his spot, directly next to Kyungsoo while Baekhyun sat on the couch, twirling with the various bottles medicated to Kyungsoo, and reading the names, putting pieces together.

 

Once Kyungsoo’s pulse was steady, Baekhyun finished reviewing all multiple bottles. He shook his head in disbelief. How did he miss this? Who knew his friend was suffering from something so painful?

 

He called Jongin over and told him the shocking news, as his voice shook.

 

“It seems like Kyungsoo has severe depression. They even gave him medication for hallucinations.”

 

Before Jongin could even process the information, Chanyeol burst in and ran to Kyungsoo’s bed. He shook his head in disappointment. A few seconds later, a familiar man followed soon.

 

Yixing, Kyungsoo’s older brother. He cursed as he spotted his brother, pale on the white bed. He spotted Ms. Park, he walked over and introduced himself.

 

“Hello, I am Do Yixing, Kyungsoo's older brother. I believe we spoke on the phone before?” he said, not minding her disheveled appearance.

 

“Yes we have. It’s best if  you take your brother to a hospital,” she replied.

 

Yixing nodded. “It’s best if we do.”

 

He turned and nodded towards Chanyeol. Chanyeol understood perfectly and began unhooking the various tubes from Kyungsoo’s tiny body. Jongin wanted to stand up and do it himself, but he was just Jongin, a friend.

 

He carried Kyungsoo bridal style and ran out of the room. Yixing abruptly took the medications from Baekhyun and threw them in his bag. He shook his head in disappointment and followed Chanyeol.

 

“This brat just loves to get himself in trouble...” he whispered to no one in particular, but Baekhyun and Jongin heard every word as he shut the door closed.

 

Minutes passed before anyone even mentioned anything.

 

“Depression...” Jongin suddenly stated. Baekhyun whimpered and nodded. Unlike Jongin, Baekhyun was well aware of what exactly the disease did to you. It was a curse.

 

Ms. Park looked up and stared in astonishment at both boys. “You know?” she asked. Jongin couldn’t help but roll his eyes. Baekhyun fidgeted and gulped.

 

“I saw the medications... I did a research paper on the disease, so I recognized the names,” he said softly. Ms. Park nodded in awe and leaned back in her chair. “You know what this means, right?” she questioned.

 

Jongin stayed quiet while Baekhyun put his input once more.

 

“Kyungsoo needs a miracle.”

 

She smiled sadly and nodded in agreement. “Correct.” She stared at Jongin, waiting for his reaction. The poor boy was still taking in the news.

 

Baekhyun grabbed Jongin’s hand and rubbed circles on it. Ms. Park simply crossed her arms and placed her head on her desk, over various files. She sighed and stared at the pill bottle that was still left behind. The ones Kyungsoo took every day. The pills inside gleamed evilly at her.

 

It stayed like this for a while. The clock above them ticked slowly, bringing their moods down by the second. After what seemed like forever, Jongin stood up and cracked his knuckles and neck. He grabbed the pill bottle and stuck it in his pocket. He made his way to the door and opened it completely. Before leaving, he gave Baekhyun a wide grin.

 

 

Baekhyun shook his head in disbelief, how could he be smiling? But his statement that would soon follow made him feel safe, there was just so much reassurance in it.

 

 

“If it is a miracle he needs, then I will be it.”

 

Maybe there was hope for Kyungsoo.