The School Believes The Future

Book of Consequences

 “Excuse me!” I grabbed her arm to get her attention, when all of a sudden, a scene appeared in my head and in it there was a… body? Is-is… Is it dead? Then I saw something I never could have imagined. This little girl appeared with a gun and finished the man off…

When I snapped out of it, the girl who dropped her wallet was facing me, and her face frightened me, when I realised it was the girl with the gun. I handed her the wallet and she thanked me and walked away.

At night I couldn’t sleep thinking about the scene I saw earlier that day. I tossed and turned as I thought of what it was I could have seen, but nothing came to mind. Eventually, I decided to think it was just something I had seen on TV before and fell asleep just as the sun started to rise.

‘URGH!’ I woke up to the sound of my alarm. I was still sleepy, but I couldn’t miss out on school… I the TV to watch the news, when I saw a video clip from a surveillance camera. It was the scene I had seen the day before when I touched the girl. The scene changed to the girl being dragged into a police van while news reporters were crowding around her, asking questions and shoving their cameras and voice recorders in her face. “What the heck are you watching?” asked Jessica as she stretched her way into the room. (Jessica is my older sister. We live away from our parents.) “Did you see something scary?” she sat next to me and watched with me as she sighed and said “The world is scary these days, isn’t it?” I couldn’t do anything but agree with her.

‘What is this then? Is what I saw yesterday the future?’

Once again, I went to the school library, and this time, the librarian followed me to make sure I didn’t do anything ‘stupid’. So, I got the book again and asked her what the writing meant, but she just stared at me and said “Are you trying to mess with my head? There’s no writing.” She gave me a dirty and walked away, leaving me with the book. I asked the closest student if they could see any writing, but he said no and stared at me as if I asked an obvious question. ‘What the heck?’ I looked back at the book and held it out, then tilted it and turned it, but no matter how much I tried, I could see the writing all the time. I flipped through the book and found one familiar English word ‘Future’. So from that word, I was convinced that the book allowed me to see the future.

I told my grade about me being able to see the future, and no one believed me. This really popular girl called Sulli said that if I read hers, and it came true, then she would believe me. And once Sulli says she believes something, all the boys believe it. From there it wouldn’t take long for the rest of the school to believe me. So, I foretold her future and what I saw was her dating Taemin… Taemin is a sunbae at our school. He’s a 3rd year in high school and Sulli and I are 2nd years. When I told her this, the boys around us just “Aish”ed me, and Sulli smiled and blushed. ‘Typical.’ I thought. Sulli loves to go out with older boys…

The next week, it was officially announced that Taemin and Sulli were going out, and when the boys found out, they chased me in a way, suggesting that they wanted to kill me, but instead, when they caught me, they asked me to read their futures. ‘Wow…’

The next few weeks were the best in my life. My popularity rose quite a bit, and I gained a friend. Her name was Yoona. She was really pretty, and although she was popular with the boys, she had never gone out with anyone. She said that she would ‘wait for the right person’. Anyway, so Yoona and I began to sit next to class and we eventually became best friends. One day, while Yoona and I played games during class, Miss Nam came in with a new student. “Everyone, this is Kai. He’s new so I want you to take care of him okay?”

“Ne.” the class replied. Yoona and I were having way too much fun, so we only replied, but we didn’t look up.

“Take care of me guys” said Kai.

“Oi! OMG He’s so cute!”

“I know right!”

When I heard this, I suddenly grew an interest, so I looked up, but he had already sat down… ‘I didn’t even get to see him…’