What Could Go Wrong?

Book of Consequences

“DING! DING! DING!”

I woke up to the sound of our door-bell. ‘Urgh! Who is it from the morning?’ I thought, as I looked at the time, I realised how late I was for school. I quickly got changed into my uniform, washed my face, brushed my teeth, and ran out the door with my bag and phone. Kai was waiting outside and said “We’re late!”

“You should have just gone!” I replied

“How can I do that? Don’t you remember what we said yesterday?” he looked at my phone and took it. He did something to it while I tied my hair, and he gave it back when his phone rang. He said “This is my phone number. From now on, I will be your alarm. You can’t be late to school every day…”

When we arrived at school, Kai and I crept into class quietly as the teacher was marking the role. Yoona was early, as always, and when she saw me come in with Kai, she gave me the ‘Ooh la la’ face. I rolled my eyes as I sat down.

“Krystal?”

“Here!” I shouted.

The teacher took her eyes off from the role and looked up to see me. She smiled and said “You’re on time today…”

I smiled and said “Yes I am.”

“DING DONG DENG DONG!” the school bell rang for lunch. Yoona and I ate lunch at the cafeteria and after we finished, we walked around the school as always. While we walked around, Yoona asked about Kai. When I told her that he lived next door to me, she just laughed and asked if she could come over to my house today.

That day after school, when Yoona and I were walking home, Kai caught up and this time, hooked his arms around both of us. Like the day before, Yoona and I lost our balance. Kai joked around for the rest of the way home and Yoona and I just listened and at times, we would joke around with him.

We said our goodbye’s as we went our own ways, and when Yoona and I got into my house, she crashed onto a sofa. I opened Jessica’s room door to see what she was doing, but like the day before, she was sleeping. It didn’t seem right. She was in the same position as the day before so I went into her room and shook her to wake up. She didn’t even frown. She was as cold as ice and her face was pale. I shook harder “Unnie…” nothing… “Unnie!” I shook as hard as possible. “UNNIE! UNNIE!!! Wake up Unnie!!!” I cried and shook her and Yoona came into the room as quickly as possible and asked “What happened?” I didn’t need to answer her before she realised. Jessica Unnie was dead.