Back in Time

Red Riding Hood

I squint my eyes to see if I could get a better look at it. Nope. Weird, is it just a nocturnal animal? No, it can’t be. It’s not even night time. Grandma calls for me and I went downstairs. “Yeah?” I said.

“Oh, Jae is barking non-stop.” said Grandma.

“Yeah, he’s been acting like that ever since I got back to Seoul.” I said. I pick Jae up, trying to calm him down.

“Hmm…” said Grandma.

“What?” I ask.

“Oh, it’s nothing. I was just thinking of your mom.” She said. “I remember how much your mom loves dogs.”

“I do too.” I said. “I was just four…the last time we had a dog.”

“Hmm…” said Grandma.

“I’m going to give Jae a walk.” I said as I grab Jae’s leash and Jae.

I went outside and put the leash on Jae. After that, we went out and into the woods. It is mid-day around three or four. The sun is past our heads. There is cool breeze that comes every now and then. While walking Jae, I began to think of my parents. I only have little memories of them. Just the thought of them two makes me miss them.

Flashback: Sung Tae at age 4.

I was running on the road to Grandma’s house. “Mommy! Mommy! Look a butterfly!” I pointed to a moth on a piece of leaf.

“No sweetie, that’s a moth.” she said sweetly to me.

“Okay, calm down boy!” said Daddy trying to control our golden retriever, Kae.

I giggled as the moth flies away. “Come on now, sweetie. We can’t keep Grandma waiting right?” said Mommy.

“Uh-huh!” I said while nodding. I ran towards Grandma’s house.

Grandma was standing outside of her house. “Grandma!” I yelled as I ran towards her.

“Slow down Sung Tae! You can hurt yourself!” said Mommy yelling from behind.

I came running and hugging Grandma. “Well, if it isn’t my Sung Tae.” she said. I look up at her and smiled at her brightly.

“Hi Mom.” said my Mom from the back. They hug each other.

“Where’s son-in-law?” Grandma asks.

“He’s trying to get a hold of Kae.” said Mommy.

Daddy brings in Kae and ties him on the pole. “That’ll calm you down.”

“Alright, since everyone’s here, let’s go inside.” said Grandma.

We went inside and I sit on the sofa. I look out the window it was starting to rain, “Daddy look! Kae is running out!” I said.

“What?!” Daddy looks out the window. “Honey! Kae is loose!” Daddy runs out.

It was after a while until Daddy came back. Daddy was soaking wet. “Any sign of Kae?” Mommy asks Daddy. Daddy shakes his head.

“Kae couldn’t have gone far.” said Grandma.

“I’m going to go back and look for him.” said Daddy.

“Honey, let me go with you.” Mommy pleaded. Daddy nods and gives a raincoat to Mommy. Mommy kneels before me, “We’ll be back Sung Tae.” she kisses my forehead. Daddy comes and kisses my forehead too.

“We’ll be back for sure, sweetie.” said Daddy.

“Stay with Grandma until we come back.” said Mommy.

Daddy and Mommy dash out the door and into the rain. Grandma comes and closes the door. Throughout the whole time Mommy and Daddy were out, Grandma and I were playing some board games and while she is baking some cookies. It was dark and it has already stopped raining.

“I wonder where your parents are at. It’s already dark. The rain has stopped too.” said Grandma looking out the window. I grab a piece of cookie and take a bite. It was so crusty and delicious. “We’ll just leave the door unlock for them. Alright sweetie, time for bed.” Grandma carries me to the room and sets me in bed. She pulls the covers over me. “Nighty night.” said Grandma. She kisses my forehead and turns on the night light. “Grandma,” I call out for her. She turns back. “Are mommy and daddy going to be okay?” She looks at me, trying to cover the worries from her face, “Yes, sweetheart. Now, go to bed.” Then she turns off the light and closes the door. I drifted off to sleep.

I wake up to the sounds of sirens that morning. I look out the window and there were many people outside. I went outside and saw Grandma. Grandma was in tears. “Grandma, why are you crying?”

She looks at me with watery eyes, “Oh Sung Tae, poor Sung Tae.” she kneels in front of me and hugs me tightly.

I look over Grandma’s shoulders. There were men in black clothes, blue and white clothes, and some in suits. They were everywhere. There were some yellow tapes taped around the woods. Two rolling beds were coming towards our way. On one of the beds, there was a hand that extended out. That hand had the bracelet that Mommy always wears. It was covered in red.

“Grandma, is that mommy?” I ask her.

“W-what?” she looks at the bracelet, “Don’t look Sung Tae.” she blocks me from the way.

“Why? What happen, Grandma?” I ask confused.

“Please…just don’t look… Sung Tae-ah.” she weeps.

Days Later…

I was wearing black clothes and carrying some flowers. “Grandma, where are we going?” I ask Grandma.

“To your mommy and daddy…” she trailed off.

I was happy! I’ve been wondering where Mommy and Daddy went those past few days! We went inside a church and there were some of our relatives there crying. Why were they crying? We went up to two big rectangular boxes. There was a chair and I went and stand on it. Grandma was crying. I look and Mommy and Daddy were sleeping in it. “Grandma, why are Mommy and Daddy sleeping in here?” There was no reply from Grandma.

Someone comes from behind me, “Oh Sung Tae, your Mommy and Daddy are…gone…” said my aunt with her hands on my shoulders. She was crying too.

“Gone? But they’re right here, sleeping.” I said. Deep down I knew something is wrong but I kept denying it.

“No, Sung Tae… They’re gone.” she trailed off into tears.

From that day, I realize that my parents are not going to ever come back.